An offer to Thett

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2016 8:13:27 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Aloha, DDO!

Thett and several other users have recently critiqued my administration as being repressive regarding user freedom. I want to make several points on this topic to clarify certain issues and to present some facts to the users, and then I want to conclude by making an offer to Thett.

The primary objections raised by Thett to my administration and its policies were that the official tournament policy was unduly restrictive such that it prevented there being more than 4 tournaments a year (excluding the Beginners' tournaments, which aren't open to most users anyway), and that voting policy was overly strict, in that it policed to closely votes cast on debates with multiple forfeits.

Firstly, I want to dispel the claims that I was unresponsive to these complaints. As soon as I became aware of these issues, I began working on and devising solutions. I implemented a tournament reform that now removes the cap on the number of tournaments allowed, and uses a mafia-style sign-up sheet to allow anyone who wants to host a tournament to host a tournament [http://www.debate.org...]. While this may not be exactly what Thett wanted, it is supported by a plurality of DDO's users as a first choice and is an excellent compromise position which clearly gives users more freedom. Additionally, I have promised to review the voting policy on debates with multiple forfeits and to propose to moderation a change to how those debates are reviewed in order to relax the standards enforced on those debates [http://www.debate.org...]. So, I have made a sincere and transparent effort to respond to Thett's concerns.

Secondly, it is important to say that Thett never informed me of these issues to begin with--he had months when he could've voice either concern. As President, I conduct numerous and regular polls, as TBR and others can confirm, to get a sense of where the usership is at. These issues didn't register on those polls, and neither Thett nor any of the other people making hay over these issues ever bothered to PM me, to make a post in a Presidential Update about it, to ask a question over it in an Official AMA, or anything of the sort.

I made a good faith effort to be transparent and to be responsive to the needs and wants of the community. The fact that I polled, that I had AMAs, that I posted updates, illustrates all that. I can only attempt to fix problems I know exist, and so communication is important. If DDOians ever have issues they want to raise, they are encouraged and invited to talk to me.

So, now that I've made those points, I want to extend an offer to Thett. At the start of my administration, I offered him a position in my Official Administration Advisory Panel, where he could lobby within the administration itself for his positions and for user freedom. He declined, but that offer is still open if he wishes to take it. I am also offering to come to a metaphorical negotiating table, where he and I can air our opinions and review various policies and draw up proposed changes or forge new policies designed to give greater freedom to users. We could hopefully make some positive changes.

I wanted to clarify where I stood, to point out that I take seriously the concerns expressed by those Thett represents, and to generate a proposal that could help redress things further. I hope I've done that.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 12:45:06 AM
At 1/27/2016 8:13:27 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I'm pretty sure thett was trolling...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 3:10:05 AM
So, now that I've made those points, I want to extend an offer to Thett. At the start of my administration, I offered him a position in my Official Administration Advisory Panel, where he could lobby within the administration itself for his positions and for user freedom. He declined, but that offer is still open if he wishes to take it. I am also offering to come to a metaphorical negotiating table, where he and I can air our opinions and review various policies and draw up proposed changes or forge new policies designed to give greater freedom to users. We could hopefully make some positive changes.

what exactly does this mean? it seems like all you're doing is offering thett an *~official~* chance to argue with you, which is the exact type of "playing government" type shenanigans that thett (and those that share his school of thought) take issue with.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 5:53:16 PM
At 1/28/2016 12:45:06 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

I'm pretty sure thett was trolling...

Naw. Bsh1 doesn't respond to trolls. He responded, ergo it isn't a troll.

QED.
spacetime
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 6:30:19 PM
Lol, has Thett3 become the de facto leader of DDO's anti-establishment movement or something?
Call me King Pootie Tang.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 6:32:54 PM
At 1/28/2016 6:30:19 PM, spacetime wrote:
Lol, has Thett3 become the de facto leader of DDO's anti-establishment movement or something?

I have and I have an official offer to come to the table with Bsh at any time with our demands. This is a grassroots movement but, as the leader, I would appreciate messages from anybody voice their concerns
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right