Jump to topic:

DDO Forums

Forever23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 1:27:15 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Okaaaaay. So, DDO is filled with valuable information which everybody must see, reply too and consume. However, the problem is that this is not happening on the current forums of this site. The only forums that have enough activity are DDO Forum, Games Forum and Religion forum and a very few others. Sooooo... I think that there MUST be a change. The other forums should be expanded and perhaps even revived. I thought of 2 ways to encourage that...

1. Just... DDO members should decide to use these forums. I believe that less popular forums such as sports, tech, science, society etc are very beneficial and should be used more. My first alternative would be to encourage fellow members to visit those forgotten but yet important sections of this site.

2. My second idea is to merge certain less popular forums. Perhaps we could merge the science and technology forum along with Health. We could combine Entertainment, Arts and maybe even Funny forum. Society could be blended in with religion. History and Philosophy could maybe be combined. News and politics. Economics forum could be stuck some where in there (thats for Respo) and so would education.

What do you think?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 1:30:32 AM
The first idea requires users to actively make that choice. I am about to engage in a forum revival effort [http://www.debate.org...] which should help, though. It will specifically target neglected forums.

As for the second idea, it requires Juggle's participation. It might work in theory for some forums (politics and new, for instance), but not for all the underused forums.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 12:15:42 PM
At 1/28/2016 1:30:32 AM, bsh1 wrote:
The first idea requires users to actively make that choice. I am about to engage in a forum revival effort [http://www.debate.org...] which should help, though. It will specifically target neglected forums.

As for the second idea, it requires Juggle's participation. It might work in theory for some forums (politics and new, for instance), but not for all the underused forums.

Actually, Science and Health together would definitely work, assuming Juggle cooperates.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 12:16:43 PM
At 1/28/2016 12:15:42 PM, tejretics wrote:

Actually, Science and Health together would definitely work, assuming Juggle cooperates.

Perhaps. I mean, I wasn't ruling out any particular combos, but there are some I might object to.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 1:39:47 PM

Let's say we hypothetically merge the forums, what would it be called then? Something that covers both Health and Science? Or would it be Health/Science?
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 1:42:43 PM
At 1/28/2016 1:39:47 PM, BlazingRodent wrote:

Let's say we hypothetically merge the forums, what would it be called then? Something that covers both Health and Science? Or would it be Health/Science?

We should do society and science, so it turns in social science.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 1:43:44 PM

That is a good question. I'm sure most people think of health as just something involving the care of your body or sickness, which can be covered in science, but it does have some more individual stuff I guess, so it couldn't just be science, nor vice versa (as I'm sure you can figure out why).
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 1:45:10 PM
At 1/28/2016 1:42:43 PM, fire_wings wrote:

Here's a huge problem with that. New members will assume that it wasn't a merged forum, thus, they will get confused and think that they can only discuss science in in terms of socially related conversations.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 1:46:25 PM
At 1/28/2016 1:45:10 PM, BlazingRodent wrote:

Here's a huge problem with that. New members will assume that it wasn't a merged forum, thus, they will get confused and think that they can only discuss science in in terms of socially related conversations.

But then, science and health have almost nothing to do together. Even at school, sometimes we do science, sometimes,

Oh, maybe we could do history and society together.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 1:50:35 PM
At 1/28/2016 1:46:25 PM, fire_wings wrote:

But then, science and health have almost nothing to do together. Even at school, sometimes we do science, sometimes,

I think calling it History/Society is better because new members will think they get to discuss both. Not think they only get to discuss a sub-part of a forum.
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 1:51:46 PM
At 1/28/2016 1:46:25 PM, fire_wings wrote:

Lots of people post politics threads in the History forum. How about Politics and History?
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 6:13:06 PM
At 1/28/2016 1:27:15 AM, Forever23 wrote:
Okaaaaay. So, DDO is filled with valuable information which everybody must see, reply too and consume. However, the problem is that this is not happening on the current forums of this site. The only forums that have enough activity are DDO Forum, Games Forum and Religion forum and a very few others. Sooooo... I think that there MUST be a change. The other forums should be expanded and perhaps even revived. I thought of 2 ways to encourage that...

1. Just... DDO members should decide to use these forums. I believe that less popular forums such as sports, tech, science, society etc are very beneficial and should be used more. My first alternative would be to encourage fellow members to visit those forgotten but yet important sections of this site.

Unfortunately, the revival effort of those forums failed miserably, but that was easily predicted and was to be expected considering those who initiated it had no idea what they're doing and rejected tried and trued methods that have helped other forums on the internet become successful.

The Science forum is overrun with religious zealots spewing their anti-evolution, anti-cosmology garbage. As a previous moderator to Science forums, I know it is a simple matter to fix this problem, yet nothing has ever been done here.

You can ask your so-called "President" to do something about it, but you'll just get a shrugged shoulder and the excuse that he is powerless to do anything.

2. My second idea is to merge certain less popular forums. Perhaps we could merge the science and technology forum along with Health. We could combine Entertainment, Arts and maybe even Funny forum. Society could be blended in with religion. History and Philosophy could maybe be combined. News and politics. Economics forum could be stuck some where in there (thats for Respo) and so would education.

What do you think?

Blending forums will not fix the underlying problems here, those forums are unpopular because no one here in power will do what's necessary to make them popular. It is what it is... lip service from shoe gazers.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 6:32:24 PM
At 1/28/2016 6:13:06 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Unfortunately, the revival effort of those forums failed miserably, but that was easily predicted and was to be expected considering those who initiated it had no idea what they're doing and rejected tried and trued methods that have helped other forums on the internet become successful.

The Science forum is overrun with religious zealots spewing their anti-evolution, anti-cosmology garbage. As a previous moderator to Science forums, I know it is a simple matter to fix this problem, yet nothing has ever been done here.

You can ask your so-called "President" to do something about it, but you'll just get a shrugged shoulder and the excuse that he is powerless to do anything.

What do you think?

Blending forums will not fix the underlying problems here, those forums are unpopular because no one here in power will do what's necessary to make them popular. It is what it is... lip service from shoe gazers.

Then what do you think will help these drowning forums?
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Forever23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2016 9:42:44 PM

No. You can technically say that health is a part of science. So just science.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 4:47:53 PM
At 1/28/2016 6:32:24 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 1/28/2016 6:13:06 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

What do you think?

Then what do you think will help these drowning forums?

I already provided just a few of the many strategies used by other forums some time ago to the powers that be here, but they were simply dismissed in favor of the "Forum Revival" plan, the one that failed miserably, and most likely, the new and improved forum revival slated to soon be released. If you wish to search those threads, you can, but I'm not about to repeat myself.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 4:50:19 PM
At 1/28/2016 9:42:44 PM, Forever23 wrote:

No. You can technically say that health is a part of science. So just science.

There are plenty of religious zealots here who will say that religion is technically part of science, that religious dogma, myths and superstitions have all been confirmed 100% by science to be true, so why not merge the Religion and Science forum?
GenuineLiar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 4:55:31 PM

What do you think?

I am not certain if any degree of science could solve some illnesses of the mind.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else"s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
Oscar Wilde
Forever23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 6:26:48 PM
At 1/29/2016 4:55:31 PM, GenuineLiar wrote:

What do you think?

I am not certain if any degree of science could solve some illnesses of the mind.

Me neither. Probably couldnt change your
Forever23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 6:27:09 PM

What do you think?

Me neither. Probably couldnt change you.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 6:48:05 PM
At 1/29/2016 6:27:09 PM, Forever23 wrote:

What do you think?

if you two are makin a mental retardation comment i'd kindly ask you both to stop, before i become unkind
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Forever23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2016 7:15:01 PM
At 1/29/2016 6:48:05 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
At 1/29/2016 6:27:09 PM, Forever23 wrote:

What do you think?

if you two are makin a mental retardation comment i'd kindly ask you both to stop, before i become unkind

lol