Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

Two questions

Grandzam
Posts: 75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 3:50:34 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
I am a new user of this site and one who has never debated before. To improve my skills, I have researched some debating, and have read several debates by the top debaters on this site. After all this, I have two questions.

1. Where are the best places to find references for debate topics? For my current debates, I have used Google. However, the top debaters on this site use ample amounts of visual data, mainly graphs, which are relatively hard to find with Google. Also, simply using Google, I am sometimes unable to find some information that probably exists in some form. It take 2-3 tries to find the correct wording for my search to find what I need, if it comes up at all.

2. What is a kritik? I searched up this term but I am still confused by this. Can anyone provide a simple explanation of what it is?

Thanks in advance.
GenuineLiar
Posts: 39
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 4:08:49 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 3:50:34 AM, Grandzam wrote:
I am a new user of this site and one who has never debated before. To improve my skills, I have researched some debating, and have read several debates by the top debaters on this site. After all this, I have two questions.

1. Where are the best places to find references for debate topics? For my current debates, I have used Google. However, the top debaters on this site use ample amounts of visual data, mainly graphs, which are relatively hard to find with Google. Also, simply using Google, I am sometimes unable to find some information that probably exists in some form. It take 2-3 tries to find the correct wording for my search to find what I need, if it comes up at all.

They literally find their graphs and that jazz via the sites that you find from Google. It's like looking into the results and then into them etc. There's no shortcut.

2. What is a kritik? I searched up this term but I am still confused by this. Can anyone provide a simple explanation of what it is?

Let's say the resolution was:
Women are inherently hornier than men.

The sides that are non-kritiks are:

women H = men H [Con]

men H > women H [Con]

women H < H [Pro]

The sides that are kritiks are:

Genders are a purely social construct with no physical basis.

No-one, men or women, exist so can't be horny.

Horniness is a qualitative, subjective variable and thus can't be objectively stated to be 'more' in either.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else"s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
Oscar Wilde
GenuineLiar
Posts: 39
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 4:09:43 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 4:08:49 AM, GenuineLiar wrote:
I did it wrong

Women H > men H is pro etc
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else"s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
Oscar Wilde
Vaarka
Posts: 7,549
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 4:09:52 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 3:50:34 AM, Grandzam wrote:
I am a new user of this site and one who has never debated before. To improve my skills, I have researched some debating, and have read several debates by the top debaters on this site. After all this, I have two questions.

1. Where are the best places to find references for debate topics? For my current debates, I have used Google. However, the top debaters on this site use ample amounts of visual data, mainly graphs, which are relatively hard to find with Google. Also, simply using Google, I am sometimes unable to find some information that probably exists in some form. It take 2-3 tries to find the correct wording for my search to find what I need, if it comes up at all.

2. What is a kritik? I searched up this term but I am still confused by this. Can anyone provide a simple explanation of what it is?

Thanks in advance.

Wish I could help you XP I've only had one debate and idk how I won it.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Grandzam
Posts: 75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 4:29:18 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 4:08:49 AM, GenuineLiar wrote:
-snip-

Thanks for the answers! I now understand what a kritik is. And it seems I just need to improve my google skills. I'm going to search up some guides about that now.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,545
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 4:47:14 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 3:50:34 AM, Grandzam wrote:
I am a new user of this site and one who has never debated before. To improve my skills, I have researched some debating, and have read several debates by the top debaters on this site. After all this, I have two questions.

1. Where are the best places to find references for debate topics? For my current debates, I have used Google. However, the top debaters on this site use ample amounts of visual data, mainly graphs, which are relatively hard to find with Google. Also, simply using Google, I am sometimes unable to find some information that probably exists in some form. It take 2-3 tries to find the correct wording for my search to find what I need, if it comes up at all.

2. What is a kritik? I searched up this term but I am still confused by this. Can anyone provide a simple explanation of what it is?

Thanks in advance.

Another thing you should do is research logical fallacies.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 4:52:29 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 4:29:18 AM, Grandzam wrote:
At 1/30/2016 4:08:49 AM, GenuineLiar wrote:
-snip-

Thanks for the answers! I now understand what a kritik is. And it seems I just need to improve my google skills. I'm going to search up some guides about that now.

1 When you Google something skip 10 or so pages. For stuff people might not of used.
If you can re word it a little make it you own , there's no cops around. Peoples age they put is not always true.

2 Word things properly, or you will get "raped" by people here. A example of this is the debate wet grass is the sing of rain. Read that one.

3 Unicorns do exist. Don't argue that they don't .

4 Google , debate terms. what's burden of proof , and strawman

5 But the main rule and number 1 rule is , HAVE FUN,
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 2:26:03 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 3:50:34 AM, Grandzam wrote:
I am a new user of this site and one who has never debated before.

Welcome, then!

To improve my skills, I have researched some debating, and have read several debates by the top debaters on this site. After all this, I have two questions.

1. Where are the best places to find references for debate topics? For my current debates, I have used Google. However, the top debaters on this site use ample amounts of visual data, mainly graphs, which are relatively hard to find with Google. Also, simply using Google, I am sometimes unable to find some information that probably exists in some form. It take 2-3 tries to find the correct wording for my search to find what I need, if it comes up at all.

Google search is a good place to start. If you have access to data bases, those also provide a wealth of information. Outside of that, it's just keep searching. More time = more stuff.

2. What is a kritik? I searched up this term but I am still confused by this. Can anyone provide a simple explanation of what it is?

Yeaaaaah....I'd say look at GenuineLiar's explanation, but it's not really anywhere near what it should be. I gave a semi-decent explanation of kritiks here (http://www.debate.org...). If there's still questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 8:59:02 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 4:29:18 AM, Grandzam wrote:
At 1/30/2016 4:08:49 AM, GenuineLiar wrote:
-snip-

Thanks for the answers! I now understand what a kritik is. And it seems I just need to improve my google skills. I'm going to search up some guides about that now.

If you want to get serious abput your research, I reccomend going to infowars.com. they have great stuff on just about any topic you can think of
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 9:01:09 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Google actually sucks. It will give you the standard arguments everyone is used to hearing and put you at a disadvantage, because your opponent knows what's coming. Go to the wierdest places you can, and work backwards
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 9:08:05 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 8:59:02 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/30/2016 4:29:18 AM, Grandzam wrote:
At 1/30/2016 4:08:49 AM, GenuineLiar wrote:
-snip-

Thanks for the answers! I now understand what a kritik is. And it seems I just need to improve my google skills. I'm going to search up some guides about that now.

If you want to get serious abput your research, I reccomend going to infowars.com. they have great stuff on just about any topic you can think of

I seriously have trouble discerning when you are trolling. Infowars.com :)
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 9:15:03 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 9:08:05 PM, TBR wrote:
At 1/30/2016 8:59:02 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/30/2016 4:29:18 AM, Grandzam wrote:
At 1/30/2016 4:08:49 AM, GenuineLiar wrote:
-snip-

Thanks for the answers! I now understand what a kritik is. And it seems I just need to improve my google skills. I'm going to search up some guides about that now.

If you want to get serious abput your research, I reccomend going to infowars.com. they have great stuff on just about any topic you can think of

I seriously have trouble discerning when you are trolling. Infowars.com :)

Every news site spins current events. This one spins it in a different way than the norm, which gives ypu access to different information than you'd get from watching CNN, and in fact since it's blatantly clear it has a large bias, it makes it easier to be skeptical of and research the things that catch your eye further. This is a skeptical approach on the news you don't see when people watch CNN, going to that site does two things. One is give people information others don't have, the second is that it strengtherns your ability to discern what is bullshiit. It is a bad site for naive people, but a good one for intelligent people.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 9:24:42 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 9:15:03 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/30/2016 9:08:05 PM, TBR wrote:
At 1/30/2016 8:59:02 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/30/2016 4:29:18 AM, Grandzam wrote:
At 1/30/2016 4:08:49 AM, GenuineLiar wrote:
-snip-

Thanks for the answers! I now understand what a kritik is. And it seems I just need to improve my google skills. I'm going to search up some guides about that now.

If you want to get serious abput your research, I reccomend going to infowars.com. they have great stuff on just about any topic you can think of

I seriously have trouble discerning when you are trolling. Infowars.com :)

Every news site spins current events. This one spins it in a different way than the norm, which gives ypu access to different information than you'd get from watching CNN, and in fact since it's blatantly clear it has a large bias, it makes it easier to be skeptical of and research the things that catch your eye further. This is a skeptical approach on the news you don't see when people watch CNN, going to that site does two things. One is give people information others don't have, the second is that it strengtherns your ability to discern what is bullshiit. It is a bad site for naive people, but a good one for intelligent people.

I go to infowars when I want to read about contrails, or the global UN conspiracy. Hell, I am not even sure is Alex Jones is the best troll or just crazy.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 9:25:20 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 9:24:42 PM, TBR wrote:
At 1/30/2016 9:15:03 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/30/2016 9:08:05 PM, TBR wrote:
At 1/30/2016 8:59:02 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/30/2016 4:29:18 AM, Grandzam wrote:
At 1/30/2016 4:08:49 AM, GenuineLiar wrote:
-snip-

Thanks for the answers! I now understand what a kritik is. And it seems I just need to improve my google skills. I'm going to search up some guides about that now.

If you want to get serious abput your research, I reccomend going to infowars.com. they have great stuff on just about any topic you can think of

I seriously have trouble discerning when you are trolling. Infowars.com :)

Every news site spins current events. This one spins it in a different way than the norm, which gives ypu access to different information than you'd get from watching CNN, and in fact since it's blatantly clear it has a large bias, it makes it easier to be skeptical of and research the things that catch your eye further. This is a skeptical approach on the news you don't see when people watch CNN, going to that site does two things. One is give people information others don't have, the second is that it strengtherns your ability to discern what is bullshiit. It is a bad site for naive people, but a good one for intelligent people.

I go to infowars when I want to read about contrails, or the global UN conspiracy. Hell, I am not even sure is Alex Jones is the best troll or just crazy.

*CHEMtrails* Sorry. Got to keep the crazy sorted.
Grandzam
Posts: 75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 9:39:12 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
@Zaradi

Thanks for the reinforcement. Genuine Liar's explanation was enough for me to get the concept, but with the link, I found famousdebater's debate with you which I found both informative and entertaining.

@Wylted

I generally don't google for my arguments, I usually think of arguments that I have about the debate and then look for data to support the arguments. I haven't really debated any big issues so far though, but this sounds like something that would be fun to try when I do.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 9:45:53 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 9:24:42 PM, TBR wrote:
At 1/30/2016 9:15:03 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/30/2016 9:08:05 PM, TBR wrote:
At 1/30/2016 8:59:02 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/30/2016 4:29:18 AM, Grandzam wrote:
At 1/30/2016 4:08:49 AM, GenuineLiar wrote:
-snip-

Thanks for the answers! I now understand what a kritik is. And it seems I just need to improve my google skills. I'm going to search up some guides about that now.

If you want to get serious abput your research, I reccomend going to infowars.com. they have great stuff on just about any topic you can think of

I seriously have trouble discerning when you are trolling. Infowars.com :)

Every news site spins current events. This one spins it in a different way than the norm, which gives ypu access to different information than you'd get from watching CNN, and in fact since it's blatantly clear it has a large bias, it makes it easier to be skeptical of and research the things that catch your eye further. This is a skeptical approach on the news you don't see when people watch CNN, going to that site does two things. One is give people information others don't have, the second is that it strengtherns your ability to discern what is bullshiit. It is a bad site for naive people, but a good one for intelligent people.

I go to infowars when I want to read about contrails, or the global UN conspiracy. Hell, I am not even sure is Alex Jones is the best troll or just crazy.

For example, I think it was the first site to heavily publicize the naked body scanners used by the TSA that can literally make out the outline of a 12 year olds dick.

I'm sure that grown ups unneccesarily looking at the penis of a 12 year old is a good premise for some debates on airport security
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 9:48:27 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
For the record I think Alex Nones is either clearly a troll or some modern version of COINTELPRO, meant to draw riggt wing extremists put of the woodwork, that would normally be so reclusive that they'd be on no ody's radar, and thus more of a threat
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 11:06:17 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 10:59:45 PM, Grandzam wrote:
After reading some more debates, I have one more question. What is "Lawyering"?

It means not debating in the spirit in which the debate was intended.
Grandzam
Posts: 75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 11:11:28 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 11:06:17 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/30/2016 10:59:45 PM, Grandzam wrote:
After reading some more debates, I have one more question. What is "Lawyering"?

It means not debating in the spirit in which the debate was intended.

Would this be an example of lawyering? Why or why not?

http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 11:16:44 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 11:11:28 PM, Grandzam wrote:
At 1/30/2016 11:06:17 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/30/2016 10:59:45 PM, Grandzam wrote:
After reading some more debates, I have one more question. What is "Lawyering"?

It means not debating in the spirit in which the debate was intended.

Would this be an example of lawyering? Why or why not?

http://www.debate.org...

That debate is just so stupjd I'm not even sure what to say about it. It's not clear what the resolution is about or what either person should be debating.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 11:23:04 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 11:11:28 PM, Grandzam wrote:
At 1/30/2016 11:06:17 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/30/2016 10:59:45 PM, Grandzam wrote:
After reading some more debates, I have one more question. What is "Lawyering"?

It means not debating in the spirit in which the debate was intended.

Would this be an example of lawyering? Why or why not?

http://www.debate.org...

No, it's not lawyering
Grandzam
Posts: 75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 11:24:24 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 11:16:44 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/30/2016 11:11:28 PM, Grandzam wrote:
At 1/30/2016 11:06:17 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/30/2016 10:59:45 PM, Grandzam wrote:
After reading some more debates, I have one more question. What is "Lawyering"?

It means not debating in the spirit in which the debate was intended.

Would this be an example of lawyering? Why or why not?

http://www.debate.org...

That debate is just so stupjd I'm not even sure what to say about it. It's not clear what the resolution is about or what either person should be debating.

I'm not sure what my opponent is trying to debate but I am taking the title as the resolution, and that is obviously not what my opponent was intending. This would be lawyering because this isn't in the spirit of the debate, correct?
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 11:27:21 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 11:24:24 PM, Grandzam wrote:
At 1/30/2016 11:16:44 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/30/2016 11:11:28 PM, Grandzam wrote:
At 1/30/2016 11:06:17 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/30/2016 10:59:45 PM, Grandzam wrote:
After reading some more debates, I have one more question. What is "Lawyering"?

It means not debating in the spirit in which the debate was intended.

Would this be an example of lawyering? Why or why not?

http://www.debate.org...

That debate is just so stupjd I'm not even sure what to say about it. It's not clear what the resolution is about or what either person should be debating.

I'm not sure what my opponent is trying to debate but I am taking the title as the resolution, and that is obviously not what my opponent was intending. This would be lawyering because this isn't in the spirit of the debate, correct?

Not in the instance where your opponent is spouting incomprehensible rubbish. At this point you can only guess at the meaning he intends, and at that point it wouldn't even be an intelligent guess based. This is like trying to interpret one of Vi_Spex's resolutions, except this guy is not as good at creating resolutions as Vi_Spex