Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Dual relationships and voting

PetersSmith
Posts: 5,859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 11:12:03 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Dual relationships when it comes to voting is when the debater is good friends/family/partners with someone votes. The problem that could be seen here is that there is a multiple relationship, the voter is bound to have a bias in favor of their friend. They "could" provide constructive criticism, but they would still be voting for their friend just with a little more elaborate reasoning. The problem with obviously not allowing dual relationships is that, especially on this site, you would not be getting many votes. So, do you guys think dual relationships should be allowed when voting on this site or in the real world (sometimes in debate tournaments friends and parents can be judges)? If not, why? If so, how do you know if someone is really voting objectively and not letting relationships interfere with their standards of judgement?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 11:29:08 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
I don't think we could evenly have a policy where people who are close with other members don't vote on each other's debates. A lot of members have friends on the site, and sometimes those relationships involve members who are top contributors. I would not find it very prudent to disallow people from voting on that matter in regards to DDO.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 11:32:59 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 11:29:08 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I don't think we could evenly have a policy where people who are close with other members don't vote on each other's debates. A lot of members have friends on the site, and sometimes those relationships involve members who are top contributors. I would not find it very prudent to disallow people from voting on that matter in regards to DDO.

That is a shame too. The site is way too social. You may vall me a hypocrite for saying that, but my motto is; If you can't beat em, join em.
YYW
Posts: 36,391
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 11:35:34 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 11:12:03 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Dual relationships when it comes to voting is when the debater is good friends/family/partners with someone votes. The problem that could be seen here is that there is a multiple relationship, the voter is bound to have a bias in favor of their friend. They "could" provide constructive criticism, but they would still be voting for their friend just with a little more elaborate reasoning. The problem with obviously not allowing dual relationships is that, especially on this site, you would not be getting many votes. So, do you guys think dual relationships should be allowed when voting on this site or in the real world (sometimes in debate tournaments friends and parents can be judges)? If not, why? If so, how do you know if someone is really voting objectively and not letting relationships interfere with their standards of judgement?

I agree that this is a potential source of bias, and, to the extent that any non-debate content related influence induces a judge to vote on a debate, that's a problem.

But, we're also all friends here. And, most of the people who could reasonably say that they weren't friends with a lot of people are going to be incompetent judges. So, it's a trade off.

Frankly, I'm confident in my ability to produce unbiased votes, despite the fact that I'm friends with the vast majority of DDO members whose debates I vote on.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 11:36:48 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 11:32:59 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/30/2016 11:29:08 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I don't think we could evenly have a policy where people who are close with other members don't vote on each other's debates. A lot of members have friends on the site, and sometimes those relationships involve members who are top contributors. I would not find it very prudent to disallow people from voting on that matter in regards to DDO.

That is a shame too. The site is way too social. You may vall me a hypocrite for saying that, but my motto is; If you can't beat em, join em.

I disagree with the point that the site is too social.

Even on the point of proposed bias, I don't buy that members are biased to vote for their friends just because they're friends.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2016 11:39:32 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Depends on the person.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Raisor
Posts: 4,462
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2016 12:29:28 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
I don't vote on thetts debates anymore for this reason.

I am totally willing to tear thett apart, but look at my record on his debates and I don't think I've ever voted against him. I think this is fair, he's a top tier debater (even if he is a fascist), but after a certain point you need to recognize possible biases you might have.

I also don't vote on debates I have consulted on...though that should be a no brainer

To the broader point, yeah it's impossible to eliminate bias amongst friends, but the most active members on the site all have some degree of personal relationships. Just be honest with yourself, if you have an especially close relationship or an acrimonious relationship with someone, don't vote on their debate. Don't vote on the debates of a given user overly frequently.
Raisor
Posts: 4,462
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2016 12:32:58 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
The "how do you know" part is especially tricky because I think it amounts to a juent of character and wisdom...

There are members I would trust to vote against their best friend...

There are honest members I don't think have the self awareness to tealiE they are biased

There are biased members I don't think have the honesty to admit it

There isn't a good way to implement a policy, other then a rule of thumb "you're voting for this member an awful lot"
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2016 12:49:06 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/31/2016 12:32:58 AM, Raisor wrote:
There isn't a good way to implement a policy, other then a rule of thumb "you're voting for this member an awful lot"

I don't really think that works when you're talking about top-tier debaters.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2016 1:02:10 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
In general, I would like to see an option for blind voting, where voters cannot see the identity of the debaters.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
tajshar2k
Posts: 2,385
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 1:31:38 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/30/2016 11:32:59 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 1/30/2016 11:29:08 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I don't think we could evenly have a policy where people who are close with other members don't vote on each other's debates. A lot of members have friends on the site, and sometimes those relationships involve members who are top contributors. I would not find it very prudent to disallow people from voting on that matter in regards to DDO.

That is a shame too. The site is way too social. You may vall me a hypocrite for saying that, but my motto is; If you can't beat em, join em.

+1
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
mc9
Posts: 1,049
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 2:17:15 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/31/2016 1:02:10 AM, Maikuru wrote:
In general, I would like to see an option for blind voting, where voters cannot see the identity of the debaters.

I think this is a great idea but you could still see based on the debating styles but still it's a good idea.
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Posts: 146
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2016 9:45:18 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/31/2016 1:02:10 AM, Maikuru wrote:
In general, I would like to see an option for blind voting, where voters cannot see the identity of the debaters.

I was on a site with blind voting. It was not good. I like the accountability.

To address the OP, the only way to eliminate the bias is to increase voter participation. Sure someone might have a few friends who vote for/against with bias, but if enough people vote, then the aggregate bias is reduced.
U.n
Posts: 214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 1:32:02 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/1/2016 9:45:18 PM, diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid wrote:
At 1/31/2016 1:02:10 AM, Maikuru wrote:
In general, I would like to see an option for blind voting, where voters cannot see the identity of the debaters.

I was on a site with blind voting. It was not good. I like the accountability.


To address the OP, the only way to eliminate the bias is to increase voter participation. Sure someone might have a few friends who vote for/against with bias, but if enough people vote, then the aggregate bias is reduced.

I would agree with that. You're going to get a much more accurate result if you have 20 voters than just 2 or 3. Voting should be encouraged not discouraged.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 2:10:04 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/2/2016 1:32:02 PM, U.n wrote:
At 2/1/2016 9:45:18 PM, diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid wrote:
At 1/31/2016 1:02:10 AM, Maikuru wrote:
In general, I would like to see an option for blind voting, where voters cannot see the identity of the debaters.

I was on a site with blind voting. It was not good. I like the accountability.


To address the OP, the only way to eliminate the bias is to increase voter participation. Sure someone might have a few friends who vote for/against with bias, but if enough people vote, then the aggregate bias is reduced.

I would agree with that. You're going to get a much more accurate result if you have 20 voters than just 2 or 3. Voting should be encouraged not discouraged.

I'm extremely meme racist, this will effect my bet for sure . I ain't voting for someone with a pic of themselves. Or a cat. I love monster memes and flames .

And If every one got to vote how would girls win debates ?