Jump to topic:

Hypocritical deployment

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 2:54:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Starting tomorrow I will deploying for 2 months and missing the hell out of my little family. Oh, and of course you fine folk too. Bye, by the way...

Anyway, it dawned on me that the majority of the time I will be conducting 2 things I do not personally agree with ideologically, but professionally have to -- namely, counter-narcotics and alien/migrant interdiction.

I really enjoy law enforcement though. It's something I believe I have an affinity for and aptitude. I have about 0 years experience with it, and that makes up the majority of my professional career.

But this kind of law enforcement bothers me on a personal level. I don't have much of a choice in the matter, as I signed a contract which obligates me to conduct such things. It still does nothing to give me solace that my role in this forces me to be a hypocrite, as much as I don't like it.

Thoughts?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 2:58:30 PM
At 11/2/2010 2:54:16 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Starting tomorrow I will deploying for 2 months and missing the hell out of my little family. Oh, and of course you fine folk too. Bye, by the way...

Anyway, it dawned on me that the majority of the time I will be conducting 2 things I do not personally agree with ideologically, but professionally have to -- namely, counter-narcotics and alien/migrant interdiction.

I really enjoy law enforcement though. It's something I believe I have an affinity for and aptitude. I have about 0 years experience with it, and that makes up the majority of my professional career.

But this kind of law enforcement bothers me on a personal level. I don't have much of a choice in the matter, as I signed a contract which obligates me to conduct such things. It still does nothing to give me solace that my role in this forces me to be a hypocrite, as much as I don't like it.

Thoughts?

I assume that the "0 years experience" is a typo, lol.

I would check with supervisors to see if there is any possible wiggle room. You most certainly cannot simply get out of it, but you might be able to avoid the "front lines," but all I can say is that it is a job that you are doing. I think a lot of the stuff my supervisors make me do is completely stupid and irresponsible, but gotta do it.

Anyway, good luck and stay safe.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 2:58:40 PM
I suppose you can just go easy on people and let things slip under your nose. Where are you being deployed to?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 3:07:57 PM
I get the same feeling sometimes given that I'm an Anarchist who works for the government. :P

Though, technically I'm more Libertarian Left now, so there's not much of an issue. Plus, my role in government is analysis, not governing. So nothing I do is actually antithetical to liberty.

You on the other hand, that's pretty f'd up lol. Law enforcement and immigration control? Lol.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 3:09:29 PM
I assume that the "0 years experience" is a typo, lol.:

LOL! Yeah, that's supposed to 10.. Thanks for catching it.

I would check with supervisors to see if there is any possible wiggle room. You most certainly cannot simply get out of it, but you might be able to avoid the "front lines," but all I can say is that it is a job that you are doing. I think a lot of the stuff my supervisors make me do is completely stupid and irresponsible, but gotta do it.:

It's way out of my pay grade and even the senior officer's. These orders come straight from Washington. It just kind of sucks and I'm venting

Anyway, good luck and stay safe.:

Thanks, cuz we've been getting shot at a lot lately.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 3:11:48 PM
At 11/2/2010 2:58:40 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I suppose you can just go easy on people and let things slip under your nose.:

Not my call, unfortunately.

Where are you being deployed to?:

I can't tell you, sorry. Operational security.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 3:12:21 PM
At 11/2/2010 3:09:29 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

I would check with supervisors to see if there is any possible wiggle room. You most certainly cannot simply get out of it, but you might be able to avoid the "front lines," but all I can say is that it is a job that you are doing. I think a lot of the stuff my supervisors make me do is completely stupid and irresponsible, but gotta do it.:

It's way out of my pay grade and even the senior officer's. These orders come straight from Washington. It just kind of sucks and I'm venting

You allowed to say where you are going, or a general vacinity?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 3:18:42 PM
At 11/2/2010 3:07:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I get the same feeling sometimes given that I'm an Anarchist who works for the government.:

Yeah, I hear you... But you have to make money to live, so think of it as a temporary solution or as a stepping stone to bigger and better things that weigh less on your conscience.

You on the other hand, that's pretty f'd up lol. Law enforcement and immigration control? Lol.:

Yeah, well, we have a lot of humanitarian missions too. We were the second unit on scene during the Haiti quake, so... But ironically, I even take exception to that. I don't think the government of a nation should even interfere with other governments for humanitarian reasons.

But my bread and butter is L.E., so yes, it is a bit f'd up. The worst of it is that I feel like I've pigeonholed myself in to this role. Once you've been doing something for so long, it's difficult to look good on paper for doing something else.

Oh well, thems is the brakes I guess.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 3:23:02 PM
You allowed to say where you are going, or a general vacinity?:

Well, I'm not going to say, but lets see how intuitive you fine folk are.

Think Coast Guard (maritime mission)
Think Atlantic ocean, not Pacific.
Think popular drug routes in to the US via water.
Think popular migrant traffic to the US via water.

I'm sure you all can piece this together.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 3:24:17 PM
At 11/2/2010 3:09:29 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Okay, but just don't get PTSD or anything. A friend of mine came back from Iraq a several months ago after his humvee was hit by an IED and he doesn't see the point in normal safety things, like drinking and driving a sports car that you bought 24 hours ago is a stupid idea, then spending a week in the hospital after rolling it. Then having to go back to the hospital because of complications with his medicine because he was drinking heavily when he takes them.
Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 3:33:18 PM
At 11/2/2010 3:23:54 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
This stuff would be perfect for me. At least I wouldn't be acting like a hypocrite in the process. >.<

You're against immigration then?
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 3:35:45 PM
At 11/2/2010 3:23:02 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Sweden!
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 3:40:22 PM
At 11/2/2010 3:33:18 PM, Anarcho wrote:
This stuff would be perfect for me. At least I wouldn't be acting like a hypocrite in the process. >.<

Illegal immigration, yes.

As for legal immigration, open the borders!
Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 3:44:27 PM
At 11/2/2010 3:40:22 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 11/2/2010 3:33:18 PM, Anarcho wrote:

Illegal immigration, yes.

As for legal immigration, open the borders!

Oh God... Arizona would LOVE you working there then!
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 3:45:13 PM
At 11/2/2010 3:35:45 PM, OreEle wrote:

Sweden!:

Man, this guy is good! Remind me never to play Trivial Pursuit with this guy ;)
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 4:10:09 PM

Thoughts?

You don't have issues with drug cartels and coyote smuggling?
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 10:01:05 PM
It still does nothing to give me solace that my role in this forces me to be a hypocrite, as much as I don't like it.

Thoughts?

I'll put it this way: If I was pro-life, I wouldn't be an abortion doctor now would I. However that isn't to say people act contrary to their actual beliefs all the time for the sake of making a living. Is this another necessary evil? Perhaps. For instance I'm sure Christian teachers cringe at the idea of teaching evolution, though that's sort of a different example even though the point is kinda the same (sometimes our jobs force us to do things we don't necessarily agree with). Personally, I'd like to think that I would act in accordance to my conscience over authority in terms of punishing people for say doing some drugs or whatever, even if I were involved with law enforcement (ew). However I realize that's much easier said than done when it comes to your career. I'd say use your best judgment given each situation and try to align your responsibilities and conscience as much as possible. Good luck :)
President of DDO
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 1:46:40 AM

Thoughts?

Very harsh.
Ideologically speaking you should resign, however back in the real world you have obligations. Perhaps you should record your experiences to provide justification for your politics and use it as matierial for discussions with politicians and such like.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 1:52:16 AM

It's those damn Canadians again. They're always up to no good. Sneaky bastards too.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2010 6:02:30 AM
Cuba

and I assume you were based out of Japan before that
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)