Send a Message
2/19/2016 4:11:00 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/19/2016 3:58:10 PM, iliketodostuff wrote:
I notice that when I type I use broken sentences a lot

No punctuation or stuff like that, just flat out saying things like this

Is this ok for debates or will it be counted off

Also, what are some general debate tips

You're likely to get some people who will give spelling and grammar to your opponent. That won't necessarily be warranted, and votes that give the S&G point to your opponent for something like you've typed here will have done so incorrectly. The standard for S&G is that the writing must be difficult to understand, and this does not appear to be the case, despite the lack of periods. If these lines were placed next to each other, however, I could see the case being made reasonably that it's difficult to know where one sentence starts and the other ends.

As for general debate tips, there are plenty we could cover, but I'll focus on just one:

Know what your resolution and what you have to do to affirm/negate it. A lot of people make the fundamental mistake of not understanding how to effectively take a position on a given resolution and win with it. That may require some analysis of the terms or burdens, but the debaters should do that themselves. If you leave it up to your judges, you're probably not going to like where things go after the debate ends.
iliketodostuff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 4:14:47 PM
At 2/19/2016 4:11:00 PM, whiteflame wrote:

You're likely to get some people who will give spelling and grammar to your opponent. That won't necessarily be warranted, and votes that give the S&G point to your opponent for something like you've typed here will have done so incorrectly. The standard for S&G is that the writing must be difficult to understand, and this does not appear to be the case, despite the lack of periods. If these lines were placed next to each other, however, I could see the case being made reasonably that it's difficult to know where one sentence starts and the other ends.

So if I write like I do is that ok or no

I'm confused because some people might count off, but it's also an "unwarranted" point, so idk if I should or not

I feel like splitting up my sentences helps to split up my ideas, but idk if the voter will see it that way

As for general debate tips, there are plenty we could cover, but I'll focus on just one:

Know what your resolution and what you have to do to affirm/negate it. A lot of people make the fundamental mistake of not understanding how to effectively take a position on a given resolution and win with it. That may require some analysis of the terms or burdens, but the debaters should do that themselves. If you leave it up to your judges, you're probably not going to like where things go after the debate ends.

I just did a round in my first debate

Is that sort of what you're referencing
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 4:18:55 PM

I can't spell very good . And don't know me punctuality. Wow that was a big word for me. Can you spell good.?
iliketodostuff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 4:23:42 PM
At 2/19/2016 4:18:55 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

I can't spell very good . And don't know me punctuality. Wow that was a big word for me. Can you spell good.?

Yeah

I just split stuff into multiple sentences and I tend to be very brief when I speak
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 4:30:29 PM
At 2/19/2016 4:23:42 PM, iliketodostuff wrote:
At 2/19/2016 4:18:55 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

Yeah

I just split stuff into multiple sentences and I tend to be very brief when I speak

I looked at it . It looks good if anything . The rules on some debates will state points deducted for bad grammer . It's fine if you don't misspell. It would be good if you didn't but. Because people will think u do it to make it look like more info .
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 4:41:43 PM

I'm confused because some people might count off, but it's also an "unwarranted" point, so idk if I should or not

I feel like splitting up my sentences helps to split up my ideas, but idk if the voter will see it that way

It seems a little wasteful of your space, as you're essentially using line breaks as periods, but it's pretty clear what you're saying. It's not a major problem, but it might make things more difficult to understand in longer debates, not to mention unnecessarily extending the length of your argument. If it helps you keep your thoughts together, do what you've got to do.

Some people are likely to give S&G to your opponent, but in those cases you can feel free to report them. I'm the vote moderator, and I can remove those votes.

It does seem like you have a good grasp of the topic you're going for. In the future, it'd be best if you clarified your topic in the first round rather than waiting for your opponent to post first and then clarifying.
iliketodostuff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 4:54:39 PM
At 2/19/2016 4:41:43 PM, whiteflame wrote:

It seems a little wasteful of your space, as you're essentially using line breaks as periods, but it's pretty clear what you're saying. It's not a major problem, but it might make things more difficult to understand in longer debates, not to mention unnecessarily extending the length of your argument. If it helps you keep your thoughts together, do what you've got to do.

Ok so something like this? Thanks for the advice

Some people are likely to give S&G to your opponent, but in those cases you can feel free to report them. I'm the vote moderator, and I can remove those votes.

It does seem like you have a good grasp of the topic you're going for. In the future, it'd be best if you clarified your topic in the first round rather than waiting for your opponent to post first and then clarifying.

Yeah that was a mistake on my end, thanks for clarifying
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 4:56:12 PM

Spelling and grammar points are awarded to one side only if the other side's arguments are so difficult to understand in meaning that you spend more time trying to hear their argument than reading how the other side responds to it. You can probably use broken sentences and space them out like you do without losing points on spelling and grammar in a debate, as long as you separate arguments so that it doesnt all look like one big rambling response.

'Dont suck'
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
iliketodostuff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 5:05:27 PM
At 2/19/2016 4:56:12 PM, imabench wrote:

Spelling and grammar points are awarded to one side only if the other side's arguments are so difficult to understand in meaning that you spend more time trying to hear their argument than reading how the other side responds to it. You can probably use broken sentences and space them out like you do without losing points on spelling and grammar in a debate, as long as you separate arguments so that it doesnt all look like one big rambling response.

Ok thanks

'Dont suck'

Literally or figuratively
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 5:43:32 PM
At 2/19/2016 5:05:27 PM, iliketodostuff wrote:

Ok thanks

'Dont suck'

oh this place is very gay-friendly so you only have to not suck figuratively
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
iliketodostuff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 5:50:27 PM
At 2/19/2016 5:43:32 PM, imabench wrote:
At 2/19/2016 5:05:27 PM, iliketodostuff wrote:

Ok thanks

'Dont suck'

oh this place is very gay-friendly so you only have to not suck figuratively

Ok that's good
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 6:07:19 PM
This is the only standard I'm truly against in regards to vote moderation, and I only criticize because I truly care.

I firmly believe proper punctuation plays a vital role in grammar. Without it, what's the point of even having the section titled, "Spelling and Grammar"? Under these current standards we should just change it to something like "Clarity". To be perfectly honest, that'd be a more accurate descriptive term of what we are looking for in this section.

But alas, I am in the minority here. It's crazy, because I remember how it all started with everyone complaining that S&G shouldn't matter. Somehow that turned into spelling and grammar being acceptable even when something like punctuation is non-existent. I truly dislike the standard for this reason and wish it'd go back to including proper punctuation.

If it's the case where our youth is lazy, uninformed, used to the standard of text-talk, or any other applicable reason, that doesn't mean we should lower our standard here on DDO to appease them. We should be the standard for excellence, the one place where lonely intellectuals can come and find safety from a world of ignorance. We should practice the highest standards, and do our best to elevate those who come here to achieve and function on those standards themselves. It'd serve them well in the real world at a professional level, and it'd serve to keep us above the rest.

Would it be that hard to practice proper punctuation? Would bringing that standard back be something that would enrage the masses? These are questions I'd like to get answers for, because if we aren't going to weigh things like spelling errors or punctuation marks then we should start talking about changing that section from "Spelling and Grammar" to just "Clarity".
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2016 10:00:32 PM

For debating tips, try joining the New User Mentorship Program. You get assigned an expert in debating to mentor you and give you advice, if you are interested just PM Fortis.