Volunteer Request - Coaching

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 4:40:35 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Aloha!

So, I am trying to organize a general coaching program for DDO's debaters. There is in place already a program to assist new users learn how to debate, but oftentimes people who are not noobs are still looking for ways to improve their skills. I would also like to institute this program to take some of the strain off of the new members mentorship program itself, which often has more requests for help than we can fulfill.

The general sketch of the program is this. Every month, debaters can contact the program director to receive a critique of one of their past or recent debates. A promise to critique is not a promise to vote; merely, it is a promise to read the debate and offer constructive feedback for the debater requesting the feedback. If the reviewer would like to vote though, that is fine. This would be open to non-new users, and would be capped at 10 people per month, though if there is less interest in a given month (which I anticipate happening) there will be fewer reviews needed.

I am posting this to try to recruit some volunteers for this. I know many of you already vote on many debates, which is essentially already reviewing them. Though, the emphasis with these reviews is more "how can you improve," whereas RFDs are more about "who won and why." Reviews would, ideally, be between 4,000 and 8,000 characters, based on the depth of commentary you could make. I am trying to get at least 10 people to join, so that, at most, no one would need to do more than 1 per month.

If you are interested in volunteering, please let me know via PM. I will not entertain requests not submitted via PM. I strongly prefer users with at least 3,000 ELO and who are regularly active on the site.

Thanks!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:15:49 AM
At 2/23/2016 4:40:35 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Aloha!

So, I am trying to organize a general coaching program for DDO's debaters. There is in place already a program to assist new users learn how to debate, but oftentimes people who are not noobs are still looking for ways to improve their skills. I would also like to institute this program to take some of the strain off of the new members mentorship program itself, which often has more requests for help than we can fulfill.

The general sketch of the program is this. Every month, debaters can contact the program director to receive a critique of one of their past or recent debates. A promise to critique is not a promise to vote; merely, it is a promise to read the debate and offer constructive feedback for the debater requesting the feedback. If the reviewer would like to vote though, that is fine. This would be open to non-new users, and would be capped at 10 people per month, though if there is less interest in a given month (which I anticipate happening) there will be fewer reviews needed.

I am posting this to try to recruit some volunteers for this. I know many of you already vote on many debates, which is essentially already reviewing them. Though, the emphasis with these reviews is more "how can you improve," whereas RFDs are more about "who won and why." Reviews would, ideally, be between 4,000 and 8,000 characters, based on the depth of commentary you could make. I am trying to get at least 10 people to join, so that, at most, no one would need to do more than 1 per month.

If you are interested in volunteering, please let me know via PM. I will not entertain requests not submitted via PM. I strongly prefer users with at least 3,000 ELO and who are regularly active on the site.

Thanks!

My advice to all of the new users: "You either die a filthy casual scrub or live long enough to git gud." - Harvey Dent
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:25:10 AM
At 2/23/2016 5:15:49 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
Aloha!

Thanks!

My advice to all of the new users: "You either die a filthy casual scrub or live long enough to git gud." - Harvey Dent

Okay...well, you're not gonna be a mentor. I can see that.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:30:33 AM
At 2/23/2016 5:25:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Aloha!

Thanks!

Okay, I'll actually post something of intellectual value: I think that maybe not only should you have people reaching out to you to be coached, but maybe also have couches that can recognize the potential of certain users (discerning those "noobs" who won't forfeit). This is of course if you could still use more people to coach. The reason I'm saying this is that several-many users who "debate" aren't even aware of the forums. It may seem "rude" at first to say, "Hey, I see you're new and I was wondering if you'd like to be coached", but I think it can help and doing so could also possibly coax them into joining other areas of the site once they're reached out to and thus invited to the community (that is the longest run-on sentence I've ever made).
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 7:06:17 AM
At 2/23/2016 5:30:33 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:25:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Aloha!

Thanks!

Okay, I'll actually post something of intellectual value: I think that maybe not only should you have people reaching out to you to be coached, but maybe also have couches that can recognize the potential of certain users (discerning those "noobs" who won't forfeit). This is of course if you could still use more people to coach. The reason I'm saying this is that several-many users who "debate" aren't even aware of the forums. It may seem "rude" at first to say, "Hey, I see you're new and I was wondering if you'd like to be coached", but I think it can help and doing so could also possibly coax them into joining other areas of the site once they're reached out to and thus invited to the community (that is the longest run-on sentence I've ever made).

We do have something like this in place. I'll elaborate in my next update.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

CodingSource
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 8:16:32 AM
Aloha!

Thanks!

Good. I am in need of a mentor/coach. My idols are whiteflame and ColeTrain and I try to blend it in my style. I also wanted to learn imabench's semantics. Please, mentor me.
If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

I have a 10-0-0 debate record with an ELO ranking of 2,814. From 610th during my first two-week stay, I am now 326th in the Debates Leaderboard: http://www.debate.org...
CodingSource
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 6:13:25 PM
At 2/23/2016 4:49:20 PM, famousdebater wrote:
I'll mentor.

Thank you very much. When do we start?
If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

I have a 10-0-0 debate record with an ELO ranking of 2,814. From 610th during my first two-week stay, I am now 326th in the Debates Leaderboard: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 3:20:55 AM
Bump.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 5:08:27 AM
/in

Sent a PM.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 5:09:33 AM
I will not entertain requests not submitted via PM.

Just making sure people see this.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2016 5:56:30 AM
Bumparoo
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 3:41:56 AM
/in
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 6:24:29 PM
At 2/23/2016 6:13:25 PM, CodingSource wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:49:20 PM, famousdebater wrote:
I'll mentor.

Thank you very much. When do we start?

I meant in general. Bsh was asking for volunteers so I said that I'd be a volunteer to mentor. FortisAnimi is in charge of actually telling people who they are mentoring. You should ask him if you want a mentor.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy