Total Posts:822|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Toxic Members use RO's to Stifle Free Speech

YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 4:58:27 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
When toxic members use RO's to stifle free speech, and moderation enforces that, we as a site have gone too far.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 4:58:49 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 4:58:27 AM, YYW wrote:
When toxic members use RO's to stifle free speech, and moderation enforces that, we as a site have gone too far.

What's an RO?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:00:49 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 4:58:49 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:58:27 AM, YYW wrote:
When toxic members use RO's to stifle free speech, and moderation enforces that, we as a site have gone too far.

What's an RO?

A restraining order. There are members on this site who use them to stifle free speech. What happens is this:

A toxic member who says controversial things but who is too cowardly to debate their ideas pretends to be the victim of someone else.

Then, they go complain to moderation.

Then, whiteflame or Airmax in their infinite wisdom decide that an RO is what is best for the community or the people or whatever.

Silencing opposition is what it's all about, and it's sad. It's sad to see moderation co-opted as a tool for toxic members' political purposes.
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:02:21 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Personal attacks are prohibited under the TOS. If two members are consistently unable to avoid personally attacking each other in their interactions, then an RO becomes necessary in upholding the TOS.

DDO is, after all, privately owned. The only speech that is allowed is that speech that doesn't violate the TOS. An RO, specifically because it is designed to prevent TOS-violating speech, therefore doesn't really constrain you much more than the TOS does. And, if two members do manage to resolve their hostilities, RO's can be lifted. And, while an RO is in place, there is still a ton you can say and do on the site.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:02:59 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:02:21 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Personal attacks are prohibited under the TOS. If two members are consistently unable to avoid personally attacking each other in their interactions, then an RO becomes necessary in upholding the TOS.

DDO is, after all, privately owned. The only speech that is allowed is that speech that doesn't violate the TOS. An RO, specifically because it is designed to prevent TOS-violating speech, therefore doesn't really constrain you much more than the TOS does. And, if two members do manage to resolve their hostilities, RO's can be lifted. And, while an RO is in place, there is still a ton you can say and do on the site.

That is a monstrously bad rebuttal.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:03:09 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:00:49 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:58:49 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:58:27 AM, YYW wrote:
When toxic members use RO's to stifle free speech, and moderation enforces that, we as a site have gone too far.

What's an RO?

A restraining order. There are members on this site who use them to stifle free speech. What happens is this:

A toxic member who says controversial things but who is too cowardly to debate their ideas pretends to be the victim of someone else.

Then, they go complain to moderation.

Then, whiteflame or Airmax in their infinite wisdom decide that an RO is what is best for the community or the people or whatever.

Silencing opposition is what it's all about, and it's sad. It's sad to see moderation co-opted as a tool for toxic members' political purposes.

I have questions, do you mind if I PM you about this? I'm very curious.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:04:37 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:03:09 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:00:49 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:58:49 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:58:27 AM, YYW wrote:
When toxic members use RO's to stifle free speech, and moderation enforces that, we as a site have gone too far.

What's an RO?

A restraining order. There are members on this site who use them to stifle free speech. What happens is this:

A toxic member who says controversial things but who is too cowardly to debate their ideas pretends to be the victim of someone else.

Then, they go complain to moderation.

Then, whiteflame or Airmax in their infinite wisdom decide that an RO is what is best for the community or the people or whatever.

Silencing opposition is what it's all about, and it's sad. It's sad to see moderation co-opted as a tool for toxic members' political purposes.

I have questions, do you mind if I PM you about this? I'm very curious.

Go for it

It's an interesting topic. Even one year ago, this sh!t would never even enter people's consciousness.

But now, because of certain trends, this place has become so bad because of toxic people who try to force their beliefs on others and silence anyone who disagrees with them through the force of moderation.
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:06:00 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:02:59 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:02:21 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Personal attacks are prohibited under the TOS. If two members are consistently unable to avoid personally attacking each other in their interactions, then an RO becomes necessary in upholding the TOS.

DDO is, after all, privately owned. The only speech that is allowed is that speech that doesn't violate the TOS. An RO, specifically because it is designed to prevent TOS-violating speech, therefore doesn't really constrain you much more than the TOS does. And, if two members do manage to resolve their hostilities, RO's can be lifted. And, while an RO is in place, there is still a ton you can say and do on the site.

That is a monstrously bad rebuttal.

It was intended more as a clarification of the rationale and justification behind RO's, which, to me, seems perfectly valid and logical.

That being said, you can, of course, say it is a monstrously bad rebuttal, but that doesn't make it so. It is, basically, a bare assertion fallacy and a rather petty remark designed to be more of a put-down than a substantive reply.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Torton
Posts: 988
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:08:08 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:00:49 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:58:49 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:58:27 AM, YYW wrote:
When toxic members use RO's to stifle free speech, and moderation enforces that, we as a site have gone too far.

What's an RO?

A restraining order. There are members on this site who use them to stifle free speech. What happens is this:

A toxic member who says controversial things but who is too cowardly to debate their ideas pretends to be the victim of someone else.

Then, they go complain to moderation.

Then, whiteflame or Airmax in their infinite wisdom decide that an RO is what is best for the community or the people or whatever.

Silencing opposition is what it's all about, and it's sad. It's sad to see moderation co-opted as a tool for toxic members' political purposes.
What do they consist of? Are they just to prevent direct replies, or can one part of the order never post in a thread if they other part already has. If that's the case, the system is ripe for abuse.
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:09:09 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:08:08 AM, Torton wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:00:49 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:58:49 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:58:27 AM, YYW wrote:
When toxic members use RO's to stifle free speech, and moderation enforces that, we as a site have gone too far.

What's an RO?

A restraining order. There are members on this site who use them to stifle free speech. What happens is this:

A toxic member who says controversial things but who is too cowardly to debate their ideas pretends to be the victim of someone else.

Then, they go complain to moderation.

Then, whiteflame or Airmax in their infinite wisdom decide that an RO is what is best for the community or the people or whatever.

Silencing opposition is what it's all about, and it's sad. It's sad to see moderation co-opted as a tool for toxic members' political purposes.
What do they consist of? Are they just to prevent direct replies, or can one part of the order never post in a thread if they other part already has. If that's the case, the system is ripe for abuse.

People cannot--if my understanding is correct--directly mention or reply to each other. However, they can be active in the same threads together.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:09:18 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:06:00 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:02:59 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:02:21 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Personal attacks are prohibited under the TOS. If two members are consistently unable to avoid personally attacking each other in their interactions, then an RO becomes necessary in upholding the TOS.

DDO is, after all, privately owned. The only speech that is allowed is that speech that doesn't violate the TOS. An RO, specifically because it is designed to prevent TOS-violating speech, therefore doesn't really constrain you much more than the TOS does. And, if two members do manage to resolve their hostilities, RO's can be lifted. And, while an RO is in place, there is still a ton you can say and do on the site.

That is a monstrously bad rebuttal.

It was intended more as a clarification of the rationale and justification behind RO's, which, to me, seems perfectly valid and logical.

That being said, you can, of course, say it is a monstrously bad rebuttal, but that doesn't make it so. It is, basically, a bare assertion fallacy and a rather petty remark designed to be more of a put-down than a substantive reply.

It's a pathetic clarification, and it is neither fair or logical.

It's a reflection of the fact that this site has fallen, mainly, to those who would prioritize elementary-school levels of supervision over free and open discourse.

It's an environment that has become caustic to vigorous discussion, made that way by over moderation.

The best members on this site have left, and the reason they left was precisely because of the new culture that has developed as this place became more regimented.

People who want freedom will not subject themselves to this kind of garbage; and with each passing day it continues to be the case that this place becomes more and more hostile to free speech.

First, it was the new moderation policy.

Then, it was an update to that.

Now, it's whatever idiotic policy that those who are fetishistically obsessed with political correctness and decorum want to force on others.

Next, we'll be banning micro-aggressions.

It's disgusting.
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:12:06 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:09:09 AM, bsh1 wrote:
People cannot--if my understanding is correct--directly mention or reply to each other. However, they can be active in the same threads together.

That has always been the case; but now whiteflame is inventing new terms, reinterpreting new language that would totally foreclose anyone else's ability to even post in a thread that a member with an RO created.

It's disgusting; this is a new low, but it was totally foreseeable. The progression has been there since the new moderation policy. Slowly this place becomes less vibrant, because of all of these fvcking rules, and the idiotic level of over-moderation.
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:13:40 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:00:49 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:58:49 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:58:27 AM, YYW wrote:
When toxic members use RO's to stifle free speech, and moderation enforces that, we as a site have gone too far.

What's an RO?

A restraining order. There are members on this site who use them to stifle free speech.

As a person who has 3 active Restraining Orders on this site at any given time, I can assure you that that is not the case. Restraining orders are put in place when some members are utterly incapable of being able to get along or even be in a thread together without causing a flamewar to break out. A person cannot respond to a person they have an RO against, mention the person they have an RO against in a post, you get the gist of it
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:14:07 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
There comes a point where we really have to ask ourselves:

Is the policy we're implementing really the best thing to do? Might there be other, better things?

We've seen some very old, very good members return to DDO lately. Cody, Tavelott, etc. but they will not stay, because this place no longer offers what it once did.

When social justice warrior trolls can enjoin others from rebuttal, this site is done.
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:15:12 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:08:08 AM, Torton wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:00:49 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:58:49 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:58:27 AM, YYW wrote:
When toxic members use RO's to stifle free speech, and moderation enforces that, we as a site have gone too far.

What's an RO?

A restraining order. There are members on this site who use them to stifle free speech. What happens is this:

A toxic member who says controversial things but who is too cowardly to debate their ideas pretends to be the victim of someone else.

Then, they go complain to moderation.

Then, whiteflame or Airmax in their infinite wisdom decide that an RO is what is best for the community or the people or whatever.

Silencing opposition is what it's all about, and it's sad. It's sad to see moderation co-opted as a tool for toxic members' political purposes.

What do they consist of? Are they just to prevent direct replies, or can one part of the order never post in a thread if they other part already has.

They can post in the same thread, they just cant respond directly to each other or refer to them subtly in a way that may spark a flamewar. I've had about a dozen of them and they work 80% of the time
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:15:16 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:13:40 AM, imabench wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:00:49 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:58:49 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:58:27 AM, YYW wrote:
When toxic members use RO's to stifle free speech, and moderation enforces that, we as a site have gone too far.

What's an RO?

A restraining order. There are members on this site who use them to stifle free speech.

As a person who has 3 active Restraining Orders on this site at any given time, I can assure you that that is not the case. Restraining orders are put in place when some members are utterly incapable of being able to get along or even be in a thread together without causing a flamewar to break out. A person cannot respond to a person they have an RO against, mention the person they have an RO against in a post, you get the gist of it

They can be used for that purpose, but that's not the purpose now. The purpose now has changed, when social justice warrior types who don't like dissent from their idiotic worldview feign victimhood to get RO's put into place.
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:18:01 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:15:16 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:13:40 AM, imabench wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:00:49 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:58:49 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 2/23/2016 4:58:27 AM, YYW wrote:
When toxic members use RO's to stifle free speech, and moderation enforces that, we as a site have gone too far.

What's an RO?

A restraining order. There are members on this site who use them to stifle free speech.

As a person who has 3 active Restraining Orders on this site at any given time, I can assure you that that is not the case. Restraining orders are put in place when some members are utterly incapable of being able to get along or even be in a thread together without causing a flamewar to break out. A person cannot respond to a person they have an RO against, mention the person they have an RO against in a post, you get the gist of it

They can be used for that purpose, but that's not the purpose now. The purpose now has changed

It certainly hasn't changed because to this day i'm not allowed to refer to certain members as 'Senile old f*ckwads'.

when social justice warrior types who don't like dissent from their idiotic worldview feign victimhood to get RO's put into place.

Zarroette feigned victimhood to a degree but there were indeed people who were attacking her and verbally bashing her to the point that Restraining orders had to be put into place.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:21:15 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:09:18 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:06:00 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:02:59 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:02:21 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Personal attacks are prohibited under the TOS. If two members are consistently unable to avoid personally attacking each other in their interactions, then an RO becomes necessary in upholding the TOS.

DDO is, after all, privately owned. The only speech that is allowed is that speech that doesn't violate the TOS. An RO, specifically because it is designed to prevent TOS-violating speech, therefore doesn't really constrain you much more than the TOS does. And, if two members do manage to resolve their hostilities, RO's can be lifted. And, while an RO is in place, there is still a ton you can say and do on the site.

That is a monstrously bad rebuttal.

It was intended more as a clarification of the rationale and justification behind RO's, which, to me, seems perfectly valid and logical.

That being said, you can, of course, say it is a monstrously bad rebuttal, but that doesn't make it so. It is, basically, a bare assertion fallacy and a rather petty remark designed to be more of a put-down than a substantive reply.

It's a pathetic clarification, and it is neither fair or logical.

You're turning in DDO's Trump. This above comment was totally uncalled for and inappropriate. You can disagree without belittling people or the arguments people are advancing. Comments like those do not serve to form the basis of a positive, agenda-advancing dialogue; rather, they begin to alienate people and prevent consensus or reasoned, intellectual discussion from occurring.

It's a reflection of the fact that this site has fallen, mainly, to those who would prioritize elementary-school levels of supervision over free and open discourse.

If by "free and open discourse" you mean "insulting people," then yes. But, I see no reason why the prohibition on personal attacks is somehow a barrier to free and vigorous discourse. Most people are capable of heated disagreements without descending into personal attacks. Most opinions and arguments can be advanced without the use of personal attacks.

It's an environment that has become caustic to vigorous discussion, made that way by over moderation.

Hardly. I think that personal attacks are caustic to vigorous discussion. They turn users away who feel harassed or threatened, or simply become the butt of someone's ire. They intimidate people from making earnest replies in fear of instigating a flamewar or being a victim of retaliation. They destroy intellectualism in dialogue and replace it with petty insults. Personal attacks are not the way forward for this site.

The best members on this site have left, and the reason they left was precisely because of the new culture that has developed as this place became more regimented.

I don't really think so. Most of these users left before this "new culture" really took shape. I think, perhaps, the cultural shift is less about moderation and more about the kinds of users who now frequent the site. The membership is younger, more interested in social exchanges, and less interested in the kind of debate that old users eulogize as if it had died and been forgotten. These new users have crafted a culture that is now more about interpersonal exchanges than academic pursuits, which I don't object to, because I enjoy both. Intellectual dialogue still exists, and there are many good debates which attest to this fact. But, I think it a misattribution to declare that this new culture you lament is the responsibility of moderation, particularly since it predates moderation's more strict policies and because it came after the departure of many older users.

Now, it's whatever idiotic policy that those who are fetishistically obsessed with political correctness and decorum want to force on others.

I didn't know that moderation was prohibiting people from saying politically incorrect things. You do it all the time, and it doesn't look like you've been banned. Bluesteel did it with beastality. He became a mod afterward. So, I don't find this particularly compelling. Rather, this who tirade seems to be an extension of you and Tulle's vandetta, which, really, you two should just end because it derails lots of good thread and makes things unnecessarily tense on the forums.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:22:28 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:21:15 AM, bsh1 wrote:
You're turning in DDO's Trump.

That is the highest compliment I have heard form you in a long time. I'm going to sig it.
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:24:39 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:12:06 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:09:09 AM, bsh1 wrote:
People cannot--if my understanding is correct--directly mention or reply to each other. However, they can be active in the same threads together.

That has always been the case; but now whiteflame is inventing new terms, reinterpreting new language that would totally foreclose anyone else's ability to even post in a thread that a member with an RO created.

That, is perhaps, a pushing of the envelope, I agree. I am not sure if it bursts the envelope. I think it would be too far to do what Torton noted--namely, that if I have and RO with you, and I post on thread X created by some other member, like Max, that you would be foreclosed from posting on X. That would be a step too far. But, not posting in threads created by one of the people with the RO is probably maxing out the policy.

It's disgusting; this is a new low, but it was totally foreseeable. The progression has been there since the new moderation policy. Slowly this place becomes less vibrant, because of all of these fvcking rules, and the idiotic level of over-moderation.

I think you say this because you have more run-ins with moderation than the average user. Lots of people I know don't feel overmoderated.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:25:04 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
When passive aggressive, toxic members use RO's to silence opposition to them.... this site is done. Moderation has become an extension of the intellectual tyranny that we all knew was coming.

Micro-aggressions will be banned next. I can feel it coming.
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:25:40 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:21:15 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I didn't know that moderation was prohibiting people from saying politically incorrect things. You do it all the time, and it doesn't look like you've been banned. Bluesteel did it with beastality. He became a mod afterward. So, I don't find this particularly compelling. Rather, this who tirade seems to be an extension of you and Tulle's vandetta, which, really, you two should just end because it derails lots of good thread and makes things unnecessarily tense on the forums.

Please don't bring me into this. This thread has nothing to do with me. I do not have any restraining orders. Ironically, the person he is complaining about, YYW is the one who initiated the restraining order.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:26:35 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
What is literally happening, as Tavel. correctly noted, is that SJW's are trying to use this place to silence people they disagree with, by using RO's to facilitate "safe spaces" where anyone who disagrees with them can be banned.
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:26:59 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:22:28 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:21:15 AM, bsh1 wrote:
You're turning in DDO's Trump.

That is the highest compliment I have heard form you in a long time. I'm going to sig it.

The irony, lol. Though, I would say, I have no objections to you having an RO with Tulle, if only to preserve the sanity of those users whose threads you disrupt and whose time on the site is filled with your childish bickering and counter-microaggression/postmodern leftist rants, which add no value whatsoever to the site.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:27:19 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:25:40 AM, lamerde wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:21:15 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I didn't know that moderation was prohibiting people from saying politically incorrect things. You do it all the time, and it doesn't look like you've been banned. Bluesteel did it with beastality. He became a mod afterward. So, I don't find this particularly compelling. Rather, this who tirade seems to be an extension of you and Tulle's vandetta, which, really, you two should just end because it derails lots of good thread and makes things unnecessarily tense on the forums.

Please don't bring me into this. This thread has nothing to do with me. I do not have any restraining orders. Ironically, the person he is complaining about, YYW is the one who initiated the restraining order.

You are the agent provocateur. You are the cause. Your irrational paranoia and feigned victimization is what has caused this.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:27:37 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 4:58:27 AM, YYW wrote:
When toxic members use RO's to stifle free speech, and moderation enforces that, we as a site have gone too far.

I can't read the minds of those who report incidences of violations of these things, so their intent to stifle free-speech isn't an allegation I or anyone can reasonably reply to, but there are certain cases where I believe an RO is appropriate, and regardless of any other aspects of it, that is what is being enforced and the content of the statements that are in violation aren't something really considered.

It's an interesting topic. Even one year ago, this sh!t would never even enter people's consciousness.

These were actually far more common a couple years ago. These days they are very rare. From just my immediate recollection, I believe only a few members currently have ROs being enforced, and all are fairly unique circumstances. Otherwise, all ROs are intended to be just temporary (they last a day or two), simply so that two members can cool off instead of having an unfortunate incident escalate - and even those don't occur too often.

I do believe that since the standards have been pretty clearly laid out and members who violate them with any regularity are warned about it, that ROs are generally obsolete and unnecessary (I generally refuse to create them even when they are requested). Again, they are rare, and very few are ever being enforced at any time.

When they are created though, I do believe they are necessary, and I'm sure we'll have to agree to disagree on that.
Debate.org Moderator
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:27:46 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:25:40 AM, lamerde wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:21:15 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I didn't know that moderation was prohibiting people from saying politically incorrect things. You do it all the time, and it doesn't look like you've been banned. Bluesteel did it with beastality. He became a mod afterward. So, I don't find this particularly compelling. Rather, this who tirade seems to be an extension of you and Tulle's vandetta, which, really, you two should just end because it derails lots of good thread and makes things unnecessarily tense on the forums.

Please don't bring me into this. This thread has nothing to do with me. I do not have any restraining orders. Ironically, the person he is complaining about, YYW is the one who initiated the restraining order.

I assume the RO he withdrew is against you?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:28:18 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:26:59 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:22:28 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:21:15 AM, bsh1 wrote:
You're turning in DDO's Trump.

That is the highest compliment I have heard form you in a long time. I'm going to sig it.

The irony, lol. Though, I would say, I have no objections to you having an RO with Tulle, if only to preserve the sanity of those users whose threads you disrupt and whose time on the site is filled with your childish bickering and counter-microaggression/postmodern leftist rants, which add no value whatsoever to the site.

It's funny that people keep bringing me up when I have nothing to do with things. I guess it's a testament to how obsessed YYW is with talking about me that people just naturally assume he's talking about me. We do not have an RO. I've chosen to ignore him, despite him constantly posting in my threads and attacking me.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:28:53 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:25:04 AM, YYW wrote:
When passive aggressive, toxic members use RO's to silence opposition to them.... this site is done. Moderation has become an extension of the intellectual tyranny that we all knew was coming.

Micro-aggressions will be banned next. I can feel it coming.

I think you need to take a chill pill, and listen to your own advice about paranoia.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Rosalie
Posts: 4,605
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2016 5:29:05 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
At 2/23/2016 5:28:18 AM, lamerde wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:26:59 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:22:28 AM, YYW wrote:
At 2/23/2016 5:21:15 AM, bsh1 wrote:
You're turning in DDO's Trump.

That is the highest compliment I have heard form you in a long time. I'm going to sig it.

The irony, lol. Though, I would say, I have no objections to you having an RO with Tulle, if only to preserve the sanity of those users whose threads you disrupt and whose time on the site is filled with your childish bickering and counter-microaggression/postmodern leftist rants, which add no value whatsoever to the site.

It's funny that people keep bringing me up when I have nothing to do with things. I guess it's a testament to how obsessed YYW is with talking about me that people just naturally assume he's talking about me. We do not have an RO. I've chosen to ignore him, despite him constantly posting in my threads and attacking me.

Message me back.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16