Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Taking a Step Back

whiteflame
Posts: 1,413
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:25:23 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Disclaimer: I know this is a personal issue. However, I'm posting it here because this is where it's most likely to be seen by those people who would be affected by it, and as it does have some effect on voting on the site in general, I decided that posting it here would be the most effective way to disseminate this information. I don't mean to make a big deal of this, but I am aware that I get contacted for votes on a very regular basis, and that many debaters have depended on my votes in the past, hence this post.

So, I've already told this to a few people in private messages, but I'd like to make it clear to everyone, even though I will almost certainly have to repeat this in many more private messages.

Over the next 4 months, I will not be voting on or directly participating in any debates. The former might be amenable to special circumstances, but I will no longer take requests to vote on random debates. I will continue over those 4 months to act as voting moderator, but that will be the vast majority of my time commitment to the site over that period.

To preempt questions about what perpetuated this, it has nothing to do with any member of the site or any incident or group of incidents. This is the result of an intensifying schedule on my end, as I'm starting an internship on March 1st that will continue to July 1st. After that, when the internship ends, I plan on coming back to my normal level of involvement on the site.

Debaters who are looking for votes in the meantime can and should contact donald.keller or Midnight1131, as they are the heads of the Voter's Union.
CodingSource
Posts: 403
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:51:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/25/2016 4:25:23 PM, whiteflame wrote:
Disclaimer: I know this is a personal issue. However, I'm posting it here because this is where it's most likely to be seen by those people who would be affected by it, and as it does have some effect on voting on the site in general, I decided that posting it here would be the most effective way to disseminate this information. I don't mean to make a big deal of this, but I am aware that I get contacted for votes on a very regular basis, and that many debaters have depended on my votes in the past, hence this post.

So, I've already told this to a few people in private messages, but I'd like to make it clear to everyone, even though I will almost certainly have to repeat this in many more private messages.

Over the next 4 months, I will not be voting on or directly participating in any debates. The former might be amenable to special circumstances, but I will no longer take requests to vote on random debates. I will continue over those 4 months to act as voting moderator, but that will be the vast majority of my time commitment to the site over that period.

To preempt questions about what perpetuated this, it has nothing to do with any member of the site or any incident or group of incidents. This is the result of an intensifying schedule on my end, as I'm starting an internship on March 1st that will continue to July 1st. After that, when the internship ends, I plan on coming back to my normal level of involvement on the site.

Debaters who are looking for votes in the meantime can and should contact donald.keller or Midnight1131, as they are the heads of the Voter's Union.

Too bad. whiteflame and ColeTrain are my big idols. Well, if you say so.
If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

I have a 10-0-0 debate record with an ELO ranking of 2,814. From 610th during my first two-week stay, I am now 326th in the Debates Leaderboard: http://www.debate.org...
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:10:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/25/2016 4:25:23 PM, whiteflame wrote:
Disclaimer: I know this is a personal issue. However, I'm posting it here because this is where it's most likely to be seen by those people who would be affected by it, and as it does have some effect on voting on the site in general, I decided that posting it here would be the most effective way to disseminate this information. I don't mean to make a big deal of this, but I am aware that I get contacted for votes on a very regular basis, and that many debaters have depended on my votes in the past, hence this post.

So, I've already told this to a few people in private messages, but I'd like to make it clear to everyone, even though I will almost certainly have to repeat this in many more private messages.

Over the next 4 months, I will not be voting on or directly participating in any debates. The former might be amenable to special circumstances, but I will no longer take requests to vote on random debates. I will continue over those 4 months to act as voting moderator, but that will be the vast majority of my time commitment to the site over that period.

To preempt questions about what perpetuated this, it has nothing to do with any member of the site or any incident or group of incidents. This is the result of an intensifying schedule on my end, as I'm starting an internship on March 1st that will continue to July 1st. After that, when the internship ends, I plan on coming back to my normal level of involvement on the site.

Debaters who are looking for votes in the meantime can and should contact donald.keller or Midnight1131, as they are the heads of the Voter's Union.

Take care. :)
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
BlazingRodent
Posts: 1,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:32:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/25/2016 4:25:23 PM, whiteflame wrote:
Disclaimer: I know this is a personal issue. However, I'm posting it here because this is where it's most likely to be seen by those people who would be affected by it, and as it does have some effect on voting on the site in general, I decided that posting it here would be the most effective way to disseminate this information. I don't mean to make a big deal of this, but I am aware that I get contacted for votes on a very regular basis, and that many debaters have depended on my votes in the past, hence this post.

So, I've already told this to a few people in private messages, but I'd like to make it clear to everyone, even though I will almost certainly have to repeat this in many more private messages.

Over the next 4 months, I will not be voting on or directly participating in any debates. The former might be amenable to special circumstances, but I will no longer take requests to vote on random debates. I will continue over those 4 months to act as voting moderator, but that will be the vast majority of my time commitment to the site over that period.

To preempt questions about what perpetuated this, it has nothing to do with any member of the site or any incident or group of incidents. This is the result of an intensifying schedule on my end, as I'm starting an internship on March 1st that will continue to July 1st. After that, when the internship ends, I plan on coming back to my normal level of involvement on the site.

Debaters who are looking for votes in the meantime can and should contact donald.keller or Midnight1131, as they are the heads of the Voter's Union.

I appreciate that. You have made really good votes on my debates, and any other debates. Take care.
Vaarka
Posts: 10,876
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:53:55 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/25/2016 4:25:23 PM, whiteflame wrote:
Disclaimer: I know this is a personal issue. However, I'm posting it here because this is where it's most likely to be seen by those people who would be affected by it, and as it does have some effect on voting on the site in general, I decided that posting it here would be the most effective way to disseminate this information. I don't mean to make a big deal of this, but I am aware that I get contacted for votes on a very regular basis, and that many debaters have depended on my votes in the past, hence this post.

So, I've already told this to a few people in private messages, but I'd like to make it clear to everyone, even though I will almost certainly have to repeat this in many more private messages.

Over the next 4 months, I will not be voting on or directly participating in any debates. The former might be amenable to special circumstances, but I will no longer take requests to vote on random debates. I will continue over those 4 months to act as voting moderator, but that will be the vast majority of my time commitment to the site over that period.

To preempt questions about what perpetuated this, it has nothing to do with any member of the site or any incident or group of incidents. This is the result of an intensifying schedule on my end, as I'm starting an internship on March 1st that will continue to July 1st. After that, when the internship ends, I plan on coming back to my normal level of involvement on the site.

Debaters who are looking for votes in the meantime can and should contact donald.keller or Midnight1131, as they are the heads of the Voter's Union.

Good luck on your internship! Also, thanks for voting on my single debate. I just noticed it was you XD
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCat: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
TUF
Posts: 22,869
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 6:34:46 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/25/2016 4:25:23 PM, whiteflame wrote:

Hey I have a debate that needs some votes, can you help a brotha out??

;-)
We all go a little mad sometimes.
bsh1
Posts: 28,974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 6:35:10 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I hope the internship goes well!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
U.n
Posts: 215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 6:45:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Every company is different but I know where I work several interns have been later hired full-time after finishing school (only the really good ones). Treat it like a job interview. And best of luck to you.
Praise Jesus!
whiteflame
Posts: 1,413
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 6:51:39 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I appreciate all the well-wishing guys, and the advice. It's a rather unique opportunity, and I plan to make the most of it.
whiteflame
Posts: 1,413
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 5:54:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/26/2016 5:25:46 PM, fire_wings wrote:
One more voter disappearing into mist...

I'm taking a break from voting, not disappearing.
fire_wings
Posts: 5,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 6:00:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/26/2016 5:54:44 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 2/26/2016 5:25:46 PM, fire_wings wrote:
One more voter disappearing into mist...

I'm taking a break from voting, not disappearing.

4 months is basically disappearing.
Fuwelius
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 6:23:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/25/2016 4:25:23 PM, whiteflame wrote:
Disclaimer: I know this is a personal issue. However, I'm posting it here because this is where it's most likely to be seen by those people who would be affected by it, and as it does have some effect on voting on the site in general, I decided that posting it here would be the most effective way to disseminate this information. I don't mean to make a big deal of this, but I am aware that I get contacted for votes on a very regular basis, and that many debaters have depended on my votes in the past, hence this post.

So, I've already told this to a few people in private messages, but I'd like to make it clear to everyone, even though I will almost certainly have to repeat this in many more private messages.

Over the next 4 months, I will not be voting on or directly participating in any debates. The former might be amenable to special circumstances, but I will no longer take requests to vote on random debates. I will continue over those 4 months to act as voting moderator, but that will be the vast majority of my time commitment to the site over that period.

To preempt questions about what perpetuated this, it has nothing to do with any member of the site or any incident or group of incidents. This is the result of an intensifying schedule on my end, as I'm starting an internship on March 1st that will continue to July 1st. After that, when the internship ends, I plan on coming back to my normal level of involvement on the site.

Debaters who are looking for votes in the meantime can and should contact donald.keller or Midnight1131, as they are the heads of the Voter's Union.

The notion of there being a voter's union is entirely a problem with this website.

Peer pressure voting and bias forever shall plague it.
If life was easy, we'd get to the boss level (death) too soon.
whiteflame
Posts: 1,413
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 9:22:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/26/2016 6:00:48 PM, fire_wings wrote:
At 2/26/2016 5:54:44 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 2/26/2016 5:25:46 PM, fire_wings wrote:
One more voter disappearing into mist...

I'm taking a break from voting, not disappearing.

4 months is basically disappearing.

Since I'll still be here, I wouldn't say that's me disappearing in any sense.
whiteflame
Posts: 1,413
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 9:25:40 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/26/2016 6:23:50 PM, Fuwelius wrote:
At 2/25/2016 4:25:23 PM, whiteflame wrote:
Disclaimer: I know this is a personal issue. However, I'm posting it here because this is where it's most likely to be seen by those people who would be affected by it, and as it does have some effect on voting on the site in general, I decided that posting it here would be the most effective way to disseminate this information. I don't mean to make a big deal of this, but I am aware that I get contacted for votes on a very regular basis, and that many debaters have depended on my votes in the past, hence this post.

So, I've already told this to a few people in private messages, but I'd like to make it clear to everyone, even though I will almost certainly have to repeat this in many more private messages.

Over the next 4 months, I will not be voting on or directly participating in any debates. The former might be amenable to special circumstances, but I will no longer take requests to vote on random debates. I will continue over those 4 months to act as voting moderator, but that will be the vast majority of my time commitment to the site over that period.

To preempt questions about what perpetuated this, it has nothing to do with any member of the site or any incident or group of incidents. This is the result of an intensifying schedule on my end, as I'm starting an internship on March 1st that will continue to July 1st. After that, when the internship ends, I plan on coming back to my normal level of involvement on the site.

Debaters who are looking for votes in the meantime can and should contact donald.keller or Midnight1131, as they are the heads of the Voter's Union.

The notion of there being a voter's union is entirely a problem with this website.

Peer pressure voting and bias forever shall plague it.

...You clearly don't know what the Voter's Union is or how it functions. We mostly vote on debates that don't contain any of our members, so there's not even a chance of bias in those instances. As for debates with our members, voters in the Union are encouraged to provide extensive RFDs that explain our reasoning. Bias is a problem whether it's in a group or from individual voters, but while I don't think it's more prevalent in the Union, if it was, it would also be much more noticeable in the RFDs. So if you believe that peer pressure voting and bias plague our group, you should be able to readily find examples.
dsjpk5
Posts: 4,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 10:41:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/25/2016 4:25:23 PM, whiteflame wrote:
Disclaimer: I know this is a personal issue. However, I'm posting it here because this is where it's most likely to be seen by those people who would be affected by it, and as it does have some effect on voting on the site in general, I decided that posting it here would be the most effective way to disseminate this information. I don't mean to make a big deal of this, but I am aware that I get contacted for votes on a very regular basis, and that many debaters have depended on my votes in the past, hence this post.

So, I've already told this to a few people in private messages, but I'd like to make it clear to everyone, even though I will almost certainly have to repeat this in many more private messages.

Over the next 4 months, I will not be voting on or directly participating in any debates. The former might be amenable to special circumstances, but I will no longer take requests to vote on random debates. I will continue over those 4 months to act as voting moderator, but that will be the vast majority of my time commitment to the site over that period.

To preempt questions about what perpetuated this, it has nothing to do with any member of the site or any incident or group of incidents. This is the result of an intensifying schedule on my end, as I'm starting an internship on March 1st that will continue to July 1st. After that, when the internship ends, I plan on coming back to my normal level of involvement on the site.

Debaters who are looking for votes in the meantime can and should contact donald.keller or Midnight1131, as they are the heads of the Voter's Union.

Cool. I was worried that you weren't going to be the voting rights moderator
donald.keller
Posts: 3,724
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 6:09:51 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 2/26/2016 9:25:40 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 2/26/2016 6:23:50 PM, Fuwelius wrote:
At 2/25/2016 4:25:23 PM, whiteflame wrote:
Disclaimer: I know this is a personal issue. However, I'm posting it here because this is where it's most likely to be seen by those people who would be affected by it, and as it does have some effect on voting on the site in general, I decided that posting it here would be the most effective way to disseminate this information. I don't mean to make a big deal of this, but I am aware that I get contacted for votes on a very regular basis, and that many debaters have depended on my votes in the past, hence this post.

So, I've already told this to a few people in private messages, but I'd like to make it clear to everyone, even though I will almost certainly have to repeat this in many more private messages.

Over the next 4 months, I will not be voting on or directly participating in any debates. The former might be amenable to special circumstances, but I will no longer take requests to vote on random debates. I will continue over those 4 months to act as voting moderator, but that will be the vast majority of my time commitment to the site over that period.

To preempt questions about what perpetuated this, it has nothing to do with any member of the site or any incident or group of incidents. This is the result of an intensifying schedule on my end, as I'm starting an internship on March 1st that will continue to July 1st. After that, when the internship ends, I plan on coming back to my normal level of involvement on the site.

Debaters who are looking for votes in the meantime can and should contact donald.keller or Midnight1131, as they are the heads of the Voter's Union.

The notion of there being a voter's union is entirely a problem with this website.

Peer pressure voting and bias forever shall plague it.

...You clearly don't know what the Voter's Union is or how it functions. We mostly vote on debates that don't contain any of our members, so there's not even a chance of bias in those instances. As for debates with our members, voters in the Union are encouraged to provide extensive RFDs that explain our reasoning. Bias is a problem whether it's in a group or from individual voters, but while I don't think it's more prevalent in the Union, if it was, it would also be much more noticeable in the RFDs. So if you believe that peer pressure voting and bias plague our group, you should be able to readily find examples.

The VU was even designed with bias in mind, using the Pro/Con system to negate most bias. :D
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...