Jump to topic:

Taking a Step Back

whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:25:23 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Disclaimer: I know this is a personal issue. However, I'm posting it here because this is where it's most likely to be seen by those people who would be affected by it, and as it does have some effect on voting on the site in general, I decided that posting it here would be the most effective way to disseminate this information. I don't mean to make a big deal of this, but I am aware that I get contacted for votes on a very regular basis, and that many debaters have depended on my votes in the past, hence this post.

So, I've already told this to a few people in private messages, but I'd like to make it clear to everyone, even though I will almost certainly have to repeat this in many more private messages.

Over the next 4 months, I will not be voting on or directly participating in any debates. The former might be amenable to special circumstances, but I will no longer take requests to vote on random debates. I will continue over those 4 months to act as voting moderator, but that will be the vast majority of my time commitment to the site over that period.

To preempt questions about what perpetuated this, it has nothing to do with any member of the site or any incident or group of incidents. This is the result of an intensifying schedule on my end, as I'm starting an internship on March 1st that will continue to July 1st. After that, when the internship ends, I plan on coming back to my normal level of involvement on the site.

Debaters who are looking for votes in the meantime can and should contact donald.keller or Midnight1131, as they are the heads of the Voter's Union.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:49:54 PM
Good luck whiteflame, and thanks.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
CodingSource
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:51:51 PM
At 2/25/2016 4:25:23 PM, whiteflame wrote:
Disclaimer: I know this is a personal issue. However, I'm posting it here because this is where it's most likely to be seen by those people who would be affected by it, and as it does have some effect on voting on the site in general, I decided that posting it here would be the most effective way to disseminate this information. I don't mean to make a big deal of this, but I am aware that I get contacted for votes on a very regular basis, and that many debaters have depended on my votes in the past, hence this post.

So, I've already told this to a few people in private messages, but I'd like to make it clear to everyone, even though I will almost certainly have to repeat this in many more private messages.

Over the next 4 months, I will not be voting on or directly participating in any debates. The former might be amenable to special circumstances, but I will no longer take requests to vote on random debates. I will continue over those 4 months to act as voting moderator, but that will be the vast majority of my time commitment to the site over that period.

To preempt questions about what perpetuated this, it has nothing to do with any member of the site or any incident or group of incidents. This is the result of an intensifying schedule on my end, as I'm starting an internship on March 1st that will continue to July 1st. After that, when the internship ends, I plan on coming back to my normal level of involvement on the site.

Debaters who are looking for votes in the meantime can and should contact donald.keller or Midnight1131, as they are the heads of the Voter's Union.

Too bad. whiteflame and ColeTrain are my big idols. Well, if you say so.
If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

I have a 10-0-0 debate record with an ELO ranking of 2,814. From 610th during my first two-week stay, I am now 326th in the Debates Leaderboard: http://www.debate.org...
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:10:09 PM

Take care. :)
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:32:50 PM

I appreciate that. You have made really good votes on my debates, and any other debates. Take care.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:53:55 PM

Good luck on your internship! Also, thanks for voting on my single debate. I just noticed it was you XD
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 6:34:46 PM

Hey I have a debate that needs some votes, can you help a brotha out??

;-)
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 6:35:10 PM
I hope the internship goes well!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
U.n
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 6:45:28 PM
Every company is different but I know where I work several interns have been later hired full-time after finishing school (only the really good ones). Treat it like a job interview. And best of luck to you.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 6:51:39 AM
I appreciate all the well-wishing guys, and the advice. It's a rather unique opportunity, and I plan to make the most of it.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 5:25:46 PM
One more voter disappearing into mist...
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 5:54:44 PM
At 2/26/2016 5:25:46 PM, fire_wings wrote:

I'm taking a break from voting, not disappearing.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 6:00:48 PM
At 2/26/2016 5:54:44 PM, whiteflame wrote:

4 months is basically disappearing.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
Fuwelius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 6:23:50 PM

The notion of there being a voter's union is entirely a problem with this website.

Peer pressure voting and bias forever shall plague it.
If life was easy, we'd get to the boss level (death) too soon.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 9:22:34 PM
At 2/26/2016 6:00:48 PM, fire_wings wrote:
At 2/26/2016 5:54:44 PM, whiteflame wrote:

4 months is basically disappearing.

Since I'll still be here, I wouldn't say that's me disappearing in any sense.
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 9:25:40 PM
At 2/26/2016 6:23:50 PM, Fuwelius wrote:

The notion of there being a voter's union is entirely a problem with this website.

...You clearly don't know what the Voter's Union is or how it functions. We mostly vote on debates that don't contain any of our members, so there's not even a chance of bias in those instances. As for debates with our members, voters in the Union are encouraged to provide extensive RFDs that explain our reasoning. Bias is a problem whether it's in a group or from individual voters, but while I don't think it's more prevalent in the Union, if it was, it would also be much more noticeable in the RFDs. So if you believe that peer pressure voting and bias plague our group, you should be able to readily find examples.
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2016 10:41:43 PM

Cool. I was worried that you weren't going to be the voting rights moderator
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 6:09:51 AM
At 2/26/2016 9:25:40 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 2/26/2016 6:23:50 PM, Fuwelius wrote:

...You clearly don't know what the Voter's Union is or how it functions. We mostly vote on debates that don't contain any of our members, so there's not even a chance of bias in those instances. As for debates with our members, voters in the Union are encouraged to provide extensive RFDs that explain our reasoning. Bias is a problem whether it's in a group or from individual voters, but while I don't think it's more prevalent in the Union, if it was, it would also be much more noticeable in the RFDs. So if you believe that peer pressure voting and bias plague our group, you should be able to readily find examples.

The VU was even designed with bias in mind, using the Pro/Con system to negate most bias. :D
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --