Jump to topic:

Noob health spamming issue

BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 1:47:44 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
I have talked about this before, but I have a question? How come most of the noobs that spam health advertisements here are always ones that created their accounts hours ago? How would they know about this forum right away unless they were all a few members in a group who spam multi accounts?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 1:54:52 PM
At 3/2/2016 1:47:44 PM, BlazingRodent wrote:
I have talked about this before, but I have a question? How come most of the noobs that spam health advertisements here are always ones that created their accounts hours ago? How would they know about this forum right away unless they were all a few members in a group who spam multi accounts?

I don't think the forums of this site are that hard to find. DDO ranks pretty high in search engines, which is exactly what these ad spammers are looking for.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 2:11:00 PM
At 3/2/2016 1:54:52 PM, TUF wrote:

I don't think the forums of this site are that hard to find. DDO ranks pretty high in search engines, which is exactly what these ad spammers are looking for.

But that amount of newcomers usually wouldn't have enough knowledge to join a group of people who post spam. Don't you think it's likely some of them are multis?
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 2:13:25 PM
At 3/2/2016 2:11:00 PM, BlazingRodent wrote:

But that amount of newcomers usually wouldn't have enough knowledge to join a group of people who post spam. Don't you think it's likely some of them are multis?

They're more likely spam-bots and company officials who just spam any forum they set their eyes on.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 3:51:52 PM
At 3/2/2016 3:39:22 PM, famousdebater wrote:
DDO's a pretty easy site to find and the forums here are quite easy to find.

But how would this amount of new members want to do that? I am saying I think some people are creating new accounts to continue spamming the forum.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 3:57:19 PM
At 3/2/2016 3:51:52 PM, BlazingRodent wrote:

But how would this amount of new members want to do that? I am saying I think some people are creating new accounts to continue spamming the forum.

They all advertise different things (primarily) so I doubt it would be one person or company. I think that the reason that it's new members is because companies just create accounts and make forums to advertise their business and then just leave. Since it's pretty popular this thing is not unexpected to happen a lot.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 3:59:26 PM
At 3/2/2016 3:57:19 PM, famousdebater wrote:

They all advertise different things (primarily) so I doubt it would be one person or company. I think that the reason that it's new members is because companies just create accounts and make forums to advertise their business and then just leave. Since it's pretty popular this thing is not unexpected to happen a lot.

I don't mean one person, but a group of 7-15 people who spam multis. Then again you could be right, but I doubt that in certain examples 5 different members would all spam this forum within just a few hours. I think some of them are just multis.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 4:54:58 PM
At 3/2/2016 2:11:00 PM, BlazingRodent wrote:

Airmax can find out pretty easily if someone is using multiple accounts and can check IPs. I don't see the motivation for a group of determined trolls to go through a tor network just to fvck with the site, and would conclude it's just money hungry advertisers engaging in bad business conduct.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 4:56:15 PM
If we're gonna talk conspiracy though, I wouldn't be surprised if juggle was behind the ad spam to make revenue from the site. Kind of out there and most likely false but hey you never know.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 5:08:41 PM
Lol, we get these kind of spam-bots all the time in the art forum.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 5:15:37 PM

The spam-bots are everywhere and that's exactly what they are: spam bots. They're not "new users". They're set up to advertise whatever their advertising (which don't even make sense) and never log on with that same account again. They occur very frequently, but luckily I have been working with airmax to mitigate their spamming in the forums, if you haven't noticed.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 5:36:27 PM
At 3/2/2016 5:15:37 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

The spam-bots are everywhere and that's exactly what they are: spam bots. They're not "new users". They're set up to advertise whatever their advertising (which don't even make sense) and never log on with that same account again. They occur very frequently, but luckily I have been working with airmax to mitigate their spamming in the forums, if you haven't noticed.

I appreciate that, but I don't think it has paid dividends yet. Spam is still strong in this forum, and occasionally... debates.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 5:37:21 PM
At 3/2/2016 5:36:27 PM, BlazingRodent wrote:

I appreciate that, but I don't think it has paid dividends yet. Spam is still strong in this forum, and occasionally... debates.

I think you're really stretching it with "strong".

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 5:39:35 PM
At 3/2/2016 5:37:21 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

I don't mean constant, but just that it's alive and well.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 5:40:30 PM
At 3/2/2016 5:39:35 PM, BlazingRodent wrote:

In the Health forum at a specific time. It used to be filled with pages of it.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 5:47:08 PM
At 3/2/2016 5:40:30 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 3/2/2016 5:39:35 PM, BlazingRodent wrote:

In the Health forum at a specific time. It used to be filled with pages of it.

That's true. The reason I give more attention to this is because this is a popular forum, and therefor it gets more attention. Making a complaint in the health forum will only get mostly the attention of mods.

And yeah "strong" didn't describe it well.

This issue cannot be solved entirety or permanently, sort of like trolling, because even if the spammers get ip banned (which I in no way support and is unnecessary), there will be a new wave of members ready to spam and advertise. So I agree that working with max to do whatever you can to decrease it is productive.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 5:56:15 PM
At 3/2/2016 4:56:15 PM, TUF wrote:
If we're gonna talk conspiracy though, I wouldn't be surprised if juggle was behind the ad spam to make revenue from the site. Kind of out there and most likely false but hey you never know.

I can see that
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 5:58:12 PM

If Juggle wanted that money they would probably help out with this site more.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 7:42:46 PM
At 3/2/2016 5:58:12 PM, BlazingRodent wrote:

If Juggle wanted that money they would probably help out with this site more.

Ad spamming is easier I think
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 7:48:52 PM

There are people who make their money spamming. They look for forums, and post the links. Some may spam the same forum many times with new accounts, weekly, monthly etc. but there are thousands of people searching out places to put their spam.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2016 8:02:34 PM

I've seen a few people give adequate answers so far, but I want these points to be clear:

The group of people who do this are known to the DDO community as 'Spam Bots'. This has been an issue for years, and was much worse and more frequent when I first joined the site almost 3 years ago.

The issue is that this is a source of income for these people. They get paid by advertisers to spam their products or information on random websites and then get paid based off of the amount of people who click the links they share. So, there will always be 'spam bots' to deal with when a website appears relatively near the top of google searches for forums (which is what these spam bots do in order to find websites to spam).

Do some of these people create multi-accounts? Yeah, it happens, especially with the more persistent ones who see that this site has heavy traffic (and therefore more money-making potential for them). Others just make one account, post once, and then move on to the next site on their list. Also, sometimes they come back after a month or two, just to spam the same product again. I've seen that once or twice.

Unfortunately, there is not much that Airmax can do about this. There IS a solution, but it only works for much larger sites, not for DDO. I'm not too familiar with the exact details but basically when this discussion was held 2 years ago that was the outcome - we know of a solution but it won't work until this site gets larger.

With that said, the user Peterssmith has been actively working with Airmax to report these spam threads created by these people and has effectively cut down the time it takes for Airmax to see the threads himself and delete them manually since she'll have a report prepared for him. This has been the best solution, that is within our grasp, at this point, and in my opinion has been working just fine. Unless you were active on here a few years ago, you'd have no idea just how bad this Spam Bots issue really was - the spamming of today is nothing compared to what it once was.

I think that covers everything, if you have any more questions about this issue please feel free to reply or PM me at anytime.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
The-Holy-Macrel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 1:02:55 PM
Posted: 8 months ago

They want all your forums to belong to them.