Jump to topic:

LD Form

Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 5:41:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have a question for those who do LD style debates.

I've taken on one, and realized that the rules are more complex than I originally thought. This is my first attempt at this style, and I wonder if some of you would be willing to critique my form after the debate finishes.

This is not a request for people to vote on it, although that's always nice; I want to know what I do wrong in this debate from people who've done a lot of LD debating. Proper form is important to me, as anyone who has received one of my RFD's knows.

Thanks in advance,

C.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 5:44:06 PM
At 11/8/2010 5:41:16 PM, Chrysippus wrote:

I've taken on one, and realized that the rules are more complex than I originally thought. This is my first attempt at this style, and I wonder if some of you would be willing to critique my form after the debate finishes.

This is not a request for people to vote on it, although that's always nice; I want to know what I do wrong in this debate from people who've done a lot of LD debating. Proper form is important to me, as anyone who has received one of my RFD's knows.

Thanks in advance,

C.

I'm down with that, dawg. Just PM me the link to the debate after it finishes.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 5:55:44 PM
Yeah, I can help. I did a bit of LD in high school.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 2:26:31 PM
At 11/8/2010 5:41:16 PM, Chrysippus wrote:

Thanks in advance,

C.

Yeah np I'll help. I did LD in high school and I am doing Policy in college
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 2:46:53 PM
I'd love to

cirrk: you mind me asking what aff you are running? Unfortunately, I'm not doing debate anymore, but its always interesting and enlightening to see what others are running
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 10:08:52 PM
I'm a senior in LD so I'll help. I honestly dont think the form is hat complex. As long as you have a value criterion and contentions you should be good.
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 7:36:27 AM
My opponent forfeited, so it's not even going to show up.

Rats.

Anyrate, here's the link. One more round.

http://www.debate.org...

Just exactly what do you do when an opponent forfeits a round in this style of date? What's the proper form?
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 7:04:03 PM
Just wait for them to drop again (which is likely) then extend your points again, then the debate's over and people on this board will vote for you.

Just some quick thoughts.

The value is the most important part of ld debate, so make sure you do more than just list it and move on. In your value paragraph most people say something like "this is the paramount value in the round because without it *insert bad outcome here*. It would also help to define your value since its not incredibly basic.

Criterion: If you're not running a moral theory (utiliatarianism, deontology, etc) then I would make the criterion an action. So, Adhering to US Law or Following US Law or something like that. this is somewhat personal opinion though.

Contentions: Take out the "professional behavior should be valued over unlimited expression" and just say "Social Networks are businesses". Sounds more concise and straight to the point.

Your arguments were good though and you followed the correct format.
CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 8:36:52 AM
At 11/10/2010 2:46:53 PM, SportsGuru wrote:
I'd love to

cirrk: you mind me asking what aff you are running? Unfortunately, I'm not doing debate anymore, but its always interesting and enlightening to see what others are running

I'm running an E-B5 Aff, with Entrepreneurship and Alt. Energy Advantages