Jump to topic:

***Official March Beginners' Tournament***

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 8:27:25 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Welcome to the Official Beginners' Tournament!

Intro

This tournament will pair beginners with experienced mentors to help them grow as debaters. Beginners' should be prepared to commit for at least 2 months, and a maximum of 3 debates. This will be a single elimination tournament.

Who is a beginner?

A beginner is anyone who meets one of A, B, or C (you do not have to be all or most of A, B, or C). Those criteria are: (A) your ELO is 2,750 or less, (B) you have participated in 15 or fewer debates, or (C) you have been on the site for 2 months or fewer. These criteria are assessed over all of your accounts. If you have 15 debates in account X, but 3 in account Y, you will be assessed has having 18 debates. If you have in excess of 50 debates, you are ineligible to be a beginner, even if you meet one of A, B, or C.

How to be a Mentor

Ideally, a mentor should have an ELO of 3,250 or more, though this is not a hard-and-fast requirement. I reserve the right to reject any potential mentor, even if they meet or exceed the suggested ELO threshold. I will entertain any applicant for a mentor so long as they apply by PM. Do not apply by any means other than via PM.

The Tournament

There will be 3-4 mentors and 8 beginners. Each beginner will be assigned a mentor who will work with them throughout the tournament. If any beginner feels their mentor is putting in insufficient time helping them, they should talk to me immediately so that I can evaluate the situation and possibly seek out a replacement mentor.

This will be a single-elimination tournament following a bracket system. In round 1, no two debaters with the same mentor will face each other, but this is not guaranteed past round 1. Once you have lost, you will be eliminated from the tournament.

In-between rounds, you and your opponent, with the advise of your mentors if you want it, shall select a topic for debate. You may not use a topic previously used in the tournament. You will have 5 days to select a topic and start your debate. If, after 5 days, you have failed to pick a topic, one will be assigned to you. The assigned topic will be selected by me from the NSDA PF or LD topic lists, will be no more than a decade old, and will be chosen based on my consideration of its balance, relevance, and complexity. There are only 2 restrictions on topics: (1) no troll topics--what counts as a troll topic is at my personal discretion, and (2) no truisms--what counts as a truism is at my personal discretion.

I will accept replacements, but after round 1, I will not replace people in. Competitors from round 2 on will simply receive BYEs (i.e. free rounds).

If you are interested in this tournament, please add your name to the sign-up sheet or post "/in" below. it is a great learning experience and a good way to integrate yourself into the site. I look forward to a fun time; good luck!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 8:27:45 PM
Sign-Ups

Primary

Replacements

Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 7:35:21 AM
One year has passed since my first tournament: the 2015 March Beginners' Tournament.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 7:36:22 AM
At 3/8/2016 7:35:21 AM, tejretics wrote:
One year has passed since my first tournament: the 2015 March Beginners' Tournament.

Time flies...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 7:42:43 AM
At 3/8/2016 7:36:22 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Time flies...

Lol...I remember my mentor never mentored me.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 7:49:47 AM
At 3/8/2016 7:42:43 AM, tejretics wrote:

Time flies...

*hugs* I usually regularly check in with noobs to make sure mentors are attentive.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 7:49:58 AM
At 3/8/2016 7:38:40 AM, YYW wrote:
I predict that this, like the beginners mafia games, will not go far.

Meaning?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 7:50:23 AM
At 3/8/2016 7:49:47 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Time flies...

*hugs* I usually regularly check in with noobs to make sure mentors are attentive.

I'm aware - I didn't tell you because my mentor kept telling me they'd help me more later.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 7:51:00 AM
At 3/8/2016 7:50:23 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 3/8/2016 7:49:47 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Time flies...

I'm aware - I didn't tell you because my mentor kept telling me they'd help me more later.

Ah...Sorry about that...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 7:51:40 AM
I am considering to mentor just for the...completeness of my first tournament.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 7:53:44 AM
At 3/8/2016 7:51:40 AM, tejretics wrote:
I am considering to mentor just for the...completeness of my first tournament.

Remember, if you decide to apply, you must PM me.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 8:05:25 AM
Sign-Ups

Primary

1. OreosAreCool
2. Agha.haider21

Replacements

Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 12:34:34 PM
I appear to meet the ELO requirement and only that. Sign me up!!
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 12:46:36 PM
In
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 7:41:32 PM
I may be interested, PM me if you need an extra member.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 8:07:56 PM

And Bsh is being difficult? Stop being an asshat.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 9:29:16 PM
At 3/8/2016 8:07:56 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Frankly if he is going to go of his way to be a hostile and passive aggressive contrarian, I think I'll speak more candidly about the issues with his presidency, and the activities he engages in to begin with.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 9:35:19 PM
At 3/8/2016 9:29:16 PM, YYW wrote:

Frankly if he is going to go of his way to be a hostile and passive aggressive contrarian, I think I'll speak more candidly about the issues with his presidency, and the activities he engages in to begin with.

So answering questions in threads is being a passive-aggressive contrarian?

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 9:39:04 PM
At 3/8/2016 9:35:19 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 3/8/2016 9:29:16 PM, YYW wrote:

So answering questions in threads is being a passive-aggressive contrarian?

He did not answer questions in any respect. And yes, the pattern of his public interactions with me since I broke up with him (which I should have done months before I did) plainly indicate that he is being a passive aggressive contrarian.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 9:44:45 PM
Why do I even bother

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 9:53:20 PM
At 3/8/2016 9:44:45 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Why do I even bother

I don't know why you bother to attack anyone who criticizes bsh1 whether he deserves it or not.

People have their opinions and he is not above criticism.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 9:55:07 PM
At 3/8/2016 9:53:20 PM, YYW wrote:
Why do I even bother

I don't know why you bother to attack anyone who criticizes bsh1 whether he deserves it or not.

I take sides when there is someone I think is clearly wrong. Certainly you have benefited from this yourself in times past, and I don't think you're above criticism either.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 9:59:19 PM
At 3/8/2016 9:55:07 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Why do I even bother

I take sides when there is someone I think is clearly wrong. Certainly you have benefited from this yourself in times past, and I don't think you're above criticism either.

This isn't about me, and it would be strange to make it about me when I am not the president and I have not allowed good things to fall by the wayside while I was in control.

But I am fully aware that any time I say anything about anyone, their constant response is to attack me rather than rebut what I said about their bad decisions.

And if people want to engage in that that's fine, but it doesn't mitigate my initial criticism; it just brings up some tangential thing because people who think they are above criticism do not like to be criticized.

I've never said I was above criticism either; quite the opposite. I am the subject of more criticism (most of it absurd, but more nevertheless) than any person on this site. That is because I am the most prolific poster, and I have been here almost five years.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 10:01:51 PM
At 3/8/2016 9:59:19 PM, YYW wrote:
Why do I even bother

This isn't about me, and it would be strange to make it about me when I am not the president and I have not allowed good things to fall by the wayside while I was in control.

But I am fully aware that any time I say anything about anyone, their constant response is to attack me rather than rebut what I said about their bad decisions.

And if people want to engage in that that's fine, but it doesn't mitigate my initial criticism; it just brings up some tangential thing because people who think they are above criticism do not like to be criticized.

I've never said I was above criticism either; quite the opposite. I am the subject of more criticism (most of it absurd, but more nevertheless) than any person on this site. That is because I am the most prolific poster, and I have been here almost five years.

Well, you falsely attribute my defending of him as defending the President. I'm defending him in a very specific incident. Don't blow that out of proportion.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 10:02:36 PM
At 3/8/2016 10:01:51 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Why do I even bother

Well, you falsely attribute my defending of him as defending the President. I'm defending him in a very specific incident. Don't blow that out of proportion.

In not sure what that means
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 10:05:31 PM
At 3/8/2016 10:02:36 PM, YYW wrote:
Why do I even bother

You seem to think his position as President excludes you from being a related subject. And you seem to think that any criticism of you is criticism of your character used as a diversionary tactic.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 10:06:36 PM
At 3/8/2016 10:05:31 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 3/8/2016 10:02:36 PM, YYW wrote:
Why do I even bother

You seem to think his position as President excludes you from being a related subject. And you seem to think that any criticism of you is criticism of your character used as a diversionary tactic.

How am I a related subject with respect to his killing the beginner series?
Tsar of DDO