Select winner system

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 5:28:57 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Debaters:

*Please* stop using the 7-point system for debates. Using the "choose winner" system: (a) saves the moderators a lot of effort and time, and (b) reduces strategic voting and ensures people don't cost you debates just because you forfeited one round even if you *should* have won. If you find a topic in the challenge period that's fun to debate, please request the instigator to use the "choose winner" system before accepting.

Thank you.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 5:55:23 AM
I agree. +!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 5:55:38 AM
At 3/8/2016 5:55:23 AM, bsh1 wrote:
I agree. +1

Fix'd
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 5:28:43 PM
I always choose this option. It is always preferable and I am very supportive of this notion.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 5:33:47 PM
At 3/8/2016 5:28:57 AM, tejretics wrote:
Debaters:

*Please* stop using the 7-point system for debates. Using the "choose winner" system: (a) saves the moderators a lot of effort and time, and (b) reduces strategic voting and ensures people don't cost you debates just because you forfeited one round even if you *should* have won. If you find a topic in the challenge period that's fun to debate, please request the instigator to use the "choose winner" system before accepting.

Thank you.

I personally think the 7-point system should be abandoned.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 6:08:15 PM
Debaters:

Thank you.

When I joined, and was more active in voting, I thought the 7 point thing was a great idea. Over time, I think I have come to the same conclusion you have. It should be abandoned.

Its not because the feedback is useless, or the questions are wrong. The problem is in how it is being used and evaluated by users. It makes the mods work harder, and I think it has lead to a big problem in yanked votes.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2016 10:01:34 PM
Debaters:

Thank you.

I second this motion.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.