Jump to topic:

The Canadian Legal System

faith12345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 3:41:06 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
What perspectives do Canadians and others have on our justice system today? How does it compare to other thriving countries? Is our current Justice System adequate or is there room for improvement? Is it too lenient?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 6:21:47 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
copied and pasted from your debate by the same name, but equally as unclear as this thread. For example who does "Our" refer to? The "our" is important. I guess you expect your readers to be psychic and know what the hell it refers to.

copy pasted from the debate comment section:

"Bullshitt. For example they overdo rehabilitation and it does little to discourage things like raping sprees. They have what is known as concurrent sentencing, while America has consecutive sentencing. Meaning that if I walk up and snatch one persons purse or 20 people's, I get the same sentence, because I serve all sentences at once, while in America it would be 20 consecutive charges. This means if you make a mistake in Canada and steal one purse, you are better off stealing 19 more instead of stopping, if we assume you'll be caught, where as America incentivizes not stealing more stuff. Let's assume a 1 month sentence for purse snatching. In Canada stealing one or 20 purses would get you one month, where as in America one purse would get you one month, and 20 will get you 20 months.

The concurrent sentencing problem is why Canada has actually released serial killers and serial rapists from prison. Another problem with the Canadian justice system is tover reliance on the state of mind. A person who gets drunk and goes on a shooting spree, gets a lesser charge than somebody who does it with a clear mind and sober. A drunk person going on a shooting spree d actually be released in a few months if a psychologist rules that they are no longer a threat to society.

America's justice system has it's problems, but we aren't setting serial killers free and taking it easy on people, merely for being alcoholics."