Jump to topic:

A Genuine Request

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 5:52:46 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
As the title suggests, I have a genuine request for all members of DDO: grow up.

However cliche, this is nonetheless the sentiment I have, at least for the moment, with the general embodiment of DDO. I'll be the first to admit I'm not perfect, and I should probably adhere to the same two-word request I've extended to all of you. Despite that, I feel it is necessary to bring this to the attention of everyone. If you're confused, hear me out, I've got more.

The past couple of days (and really, off and on for my entire time on DDO) I've noticed a surge in useless, childish, and completely unwarranted disputes between various members. This is not directed towards any particular members, I've simply seen this all across the board. My question is simple: is it really necessary to put down another person, arbitrarily argue about an issue, or engage in frivolous banter with another member? Honestly, it's appalling. I've tried to stay as far away from the fray as possible, and would like to think I haven't been guilty of any of the specifics I've mentioned so far. Sure, I've had my shortcomings, but I try to contain my feelings if they do begin to edge on the side of controversy.

The drama on this site, similar to Donald Trump's hair, is completely out of hand. While some may say this is only natural, and a permanent fixture of the DDO environment, I have more faith in the community here. It's not that hard to remove yourself from a conversation if it becomes heated or filled with drama. There's no need to respond to other members' passive-aggression, aggression that isn't passive (I'm sure there's a word, I just can't think of it at the moment), insults, negative comments, put downs, or disagreements. Be the better individual. If they (whoever 'they' might be) don't have the moral character to do the right thing, choose that path for yourself. When you allow yourself to be drawn in, it becomes an incessant battle that, frankly, is stupid.

My thoughts are probably scattered, and you may disagree. Perhaps you think it's better to "protect" yourself and prove the other man wrong. What you may not realize (if you hold the aforementioned view) is that it only makes you appear just as bad, just as low. But, after all, this is a debate website. It's creation was not to spur drama and cause drama-driven division among members. It was meant to be a place where intellectual things could be discussed, not a cesspool for drama. Substantive content is undermined with this useless back-and-forth, whether you realize it or not. Fun has it's place, demonizing facetiousness does not.

All in all, my request (devoid of the frank, harsh tone in my initial statement) is simple: for the sake of sanity and morality in general, avoid the types of behavior I mentioned above.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 6:38:57 AM
At 3/9/2016 5:52:46 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
As the title suggests, I have a genuine request for all members of DDO: grow up.

However cliche, this is nonetheless the sentiment I have, at least for the moment, with the general embodiment of DDO. I'll be the first to admit I'm not perfect, and I should probably adhere to the same two-word request I've extended to all of you. Despite that, I feel it is necessary to bring this to the attention of everyone. If you're confused, hear me out, I've got more.

The past couple of days (and really, off and on for my entire time on DDO) I've noticed a surge in useless, childish, and completely unwarranted disputes between various members. This is not directed towards any particular members, I've simply seen this all across the board. My question is simple: is it really necessary to put down another person, arbitrarily argue about an issue, or engage in frivolous banter with another member? Honestly, it's appalling. I've tried to stay as far away from the fray as possible, and would like to think I haven't been guilty of any of the specifics I've mentioned so far. Sure, I've had my shortcomings, but I try to contain my feelings if they do begin to edge on the side of controversy.

The drama on this site, similar to Donald Trump's hair, is completely out of hand. While some may say this is only natural, and a permanent fixture of the DDO environment, I have more faith in the community here. It's not that hard to remove yourself from a conversation if it becomes heated or filled with drama. There's no need to respond to other members' passive-aggression, aggression that isn't passive (I'm sure there's a word, I just can't think of it at the moment), insults, negative comments, put downs, or disagreements. Be the better individual. If they (whoever 'they' might be) don't have the moral character to do the right thing, choose that path for yourself. When you allow yourself to be drawn in, it becomes an incessant battle that, frankly, is stupid.

My thoughts are probably scattered, and you may disagree. Perhaps you think it's better to "protect" yourself and prove the other man wrong. What you may not realize (if you hold the aforementioned view) is that it only makes you appear just as bad, just as low. But, after all, this is a debate website. It's creation was not to spur drama and cause drama-driven division among members. It was meant to be a place where intellectual things could be discussed, not a cesspool for drama. Substantive content is undermined with this useless back-and-forth, whether you realize it or not. Fun has it's place, demonizing facetiousness does not.

All in all, my request (devoid of the frank, harsh tone in my initial statement) is simple: for the sake of sanity and morality in general, avoid the types of behavior I mentioned above.

I concur.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 2:34:17 PM
I agree, but I heavily doubt DDO will take your advice.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 2:42:12 PM
At 3/9/2016 2:34:17 PM, lannan13 wrote:
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 2:44:36 PM
At 3/9/2016 2:42:12 PM, famousdebater wrote:
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 3:06:20 PM
At 3/9/2016 6:31:53 AM, Wylted wrote:
I have seen no drama. Have you been spending time in the religious forum again?

No. I've seen it on the Debate.org forum, Politics forum, Personal forum... quite a few places.
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 3:06:36 PM

Unfortunately, this is likely the case.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 3:07:03 PM
At 3/9/2016 3:06:36 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Unfortunately, this is likely the case.

Yep
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Fuwelius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 3:15:28 PM

the only one who has to grow up is you. Sitting And whining pls grow up waa waa is nothing. DDo will not grow up, they will not change and you are nothing but a slave amongst them. It is up to you to grow up yourself and leave ddo, not up to ddo to grow up and accommodate you.
If life was easy, we'd get to the boss level (death) too soon.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 3:32:09 PM
At 3/9/2016 3:15:28 PM, Fuwelius wrote:
the only one who has to grow up is you. Sitting And whining pls grow up waa waa is nothing. DDo will not grow up, they will not change and you are nothing but a slave amongst them. It is up to you to grow up yourself and leave ddo, not up to ddo to grow up and accommodate you.

This is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. Antagonistic comments. Look, I realize that DDO won't change by my word. I'm not whining, I'm only voicing my opinion. I'm trying to encourage behavior contrary to the above by replacing it with substantive content. Either way, if you are only entering the thread to do exactly what the OP attempts to dissuade, move on.
Jeholopterus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 3:38:09 PM
I agree. As a new member I have already seen that DDO is not a place for civil debates, it is rather a social drama hub for people with IQ's a hair above the rest. That is not a good thing.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 4:22:34 PM

I agree whole heartedly, and frankly I try my best when arguing with someone not insult them if they disagree with me. It's immature, illogical, and out of line to do so.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 4:33:58 PM

Obviously this concerns some part of bsh1 and I, and I understand your reaction. I, too, have grown tired of seeing his behavior in the forums over the past several months. He has gone out of his way to initiate conflicts with me, and I have reciprocated in kind.

There are some people (like cybertron) who think they understand what's going on, but clearly do not; and there are others who frankly don't care, but they see me as the stronger and more mature of the two of us and while they expect bsh1 to behave like an unstable child they expect me to "rise above it."

I'm not saying I'm "without fault" in this, because I have, as I indicated, "reciprocated in kind." At first I ignored it, and I let it go, hoping he would refrain from acting that way in the future. But that only encouraged him to be more juvenile, and passive aggressive.

What I have never done is, out of the blue, just attacked him; because that is beneath me, but when he initiates conflicts I will finish it. I happen to be "better" at finishing conflicts than he is at initiating them, which is why in many respects people fail to correctly understand what's happening.

But, your objections are noted. I understand why you feel that way. I will stop when bsh1 stops, though. Perhaps upon reading this thread he will realize how badly he has consistently embarrassed himself in his anti-YYW efforts. He seems to care about what other people think about him a lot more than I do. But perhaps not. Though, I will not be amicable with a person who initiates conflicts with me. Call it a personality flaw

I would like nothing more than to be amicable with him in the forums, if I must interact with him. Really, I would prefer simply not to interact with him at all because he has consistently demonstrated his unwillingness to act reasonably, and this is widely noted.
Tsar of DDO
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 4:43:04 PM
At 3/9/2016 3:06:20 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

No. I've seen it on the Debate.org forum, Politics forum, Personal forum... quite a few places.

That's odd, I have it on very good authority (Bsh1) that the Religion forum is the problem. Are you saying the other forums can be just as toxic and unwelcome? I would suspect then that the authority is biased.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
Romaniii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 5:08:48 PM
At 3/9/2016 4:43:04 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

That's odd, I have it on very good authority (Bsh1) that the Religion forum is the problem. Are you saying the other forums can be just as toxic and unwelcome? I would suspect then that the authority is biased.

I honestly don't think the "conduct" in the religion forum is uniquely bad. The real reason why people (like myself) tend to avoid posting in the religion forum is that the majority of posters there are incredibly stupid and not worth the time/effort.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 5:09:27 PM
At 3/9/2016 5:08:48 PM, Romaniii wrote:

I honestly don't think the "conduct" in the religion forum is uniquely bad. The real reason why people (like myself) tend to avoid posting in the religion forum is that the majority of posters there are incredibly stupid and not worth the time/effort.

x2
Tsar of DDO
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 5:11:16 PM
At 3/9/2016 4:33:58 PM, YYW wrote:

Obviously this concerns some part of bsh1 and I, and I understand your reaction. I, too, have grown tired of seeing his behavior in the forums over the past several months. He has gone out of his way to initiate conflicts with me, and I have reciprocated in kind.

There are some people (like cybertron) who think they understand what's going on, but clearly do not; and there are others who frankly don't care, but they see me as the stronger and more mature of the two of us and while they expect bsh1 to behave like an unstable child they expect me to "rise above it."

I'm not saying I'm "without fault" in this, because I have, as I indicated, "reciprocated in kind." At first I ignored it, and I let it go, hoping he would refrain from acting that way in the future. But that only encouraged him to be more juvenile, and passive aggressive.

What I have never done is, out of the blue, just attacked him; because that is beneath me, but when he initiates conflicts I will finish it. I happen to be "better" at finishing conflicts than he is at initiating them, which is why in many respects people fail to correctly understand what's happening.

But, your objections are noted. I understand why you feel that way. I will stop when bsh1 stops, though. Perhaps upon reading this thread he will realize how badly he has consistently embarrassed himself in his anti-YYW efforts. He seems to care about what other people think about him a lot more than I do. But perhaps not. Though, I will not be amicable with a person who initiates conflicts with me. Call it a personality flaw

I would like nothing more than to be amicable with him in the forums, if I must interact with him. Really, I would prefer simply not to interact with him at all because he has consistently demonstrated his unwillingness to act reasonably, and this is widely noted.

Now that flamebait has been properly positioned, we lie wait in the bushes to see who will stumble in and ignite the flame war.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 5:12:44 PM
At 3/9/2016 4:33:58 PM, YYW wrote:

YYW, I have constantly voiced how much I hated how people have acted towards each other on this site, and I'm pretty sure, before this even happened I've voiced it at you. I even make it my goal to never insult when I argue and I only make an exception when emotion takes a strong hold. I'm frankly at the point where I don't care how things went down between you and him. But whoever is at fault and whoever is not also doesn't matter. The policy of "an eye for an eye" ie reciprocating "in kind" is illogical, because it furthers the exact thing Coletrain is trying to request for stop. But no, because of how people insist on acting, like the human race, we are stuck in this endless cycle of metaphorical bloodshed, and if we keep on this path, it'll continue to be endless.

I'm going to object to something I think thats wrong, that's in my very nature of who I am. I'm also not going to take someone demeaning my worth, my intelligence etc. I will object to that because no one man, unless they have lived their entire life with the other, can say who has worth and who does not. We all have potential of some sort, to do both good and evil. I'd rather when people stumble they stumble into peace, but it seems like they only stumble into each others swords.

So anytime you think to reference me and say I'm "worthless" or "moronic." I'm going to defend myself, and no amount of beating down from you or others who share your mindset is going to stop me, because I won't give up or give in, my spirit's too strong to do that.
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 5:12:52 PM
I like posting in the religion forum. Never have I been attacked for what I was brought up believing, but people are accepting, and curious as to why you believe in what you do. Of course, they'll try and convince you wrong, which is fine. Conduct in the religion forum is fine, conduct in the other forums are worse.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 5:13:36 PM

Idk...there are a lot of very very personal attacks in the religion forum. On the level of "you have no credibility, you failed as a parent and raised a junkie" type stuff.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 5:15:56 PM
At 3/9/2016 5:12:44 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
So anytime you think to reference me and say I'm "worthless" or "moronic."

I never said that about you, Cyber. Please read more carefully.

I'm going to defend myself, and no amount of beating down from you or others who share your mindset is going to stop me, because I won't give up or give in, my spirit's too strong to do that.

This isn't about your "spirit" or whatever that means. It's about your perception of the world.
Tsar of DDO
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 5:16:59 PM
At 3/9/2016 5:13:36 PM, Raisor wrote:

Idk...there are a lot of very very personal attacks in the religion forum. On the level of "you have no credibility, you failed as a parent and raised a junkie" type stuff.

I've seen more personal attacks outside of the religion forum. The reference you made about raising children (I've seen a member say that to another member, in the personal forum)

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 5:17:52 PM
The religion forum is uniquely odious, in my experience, and the posters there seem to be among the most inane in the whole of the site. There is drama outside the site, but the religion forum is still by far the worst.
Tsar of DDO
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 5:20:19 PM
At 3/9/2016 5:17:52 PM, YYW wrote:
The religion forum is uniquely odious, in my experience, and the posters there seem to be among the most inane in the whole of the site. There is drama outside the site, but the religion forum is still by far the worst.

I disagree. The drama and attacks happen most in the DDO forum, or the personal forum. Read my post ^^^

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 5:20:42 PM
At 3/9/2016 5:11:16 PM, Raisor wrote:
Now that flamebait has been properly positioned, we lie wait in the bushes to see who will stumble in and ignite the flame war.

Want a flame war, Raisor? Want to have a flame war with me? I'll bet it will be fun ;)
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 5:22:09 PM
At 3/9/2016 5:20:19 PM, Rosalie wrote:

I disagree. The drama and attacks happen most in the DDO forum, or the personal forum. Read my post ^^^

I've read your post and make room for the possibility that you've had a different experience than me. But I could go down the front page of the religion forum, or the first five pages and give you fifteen people who are toxic. I can't do that outside the religion forum.
Tsar of DDO
Romaniii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 5:28:56 PM
At 3/9/2016 5:13:36 PM, Raisor wrote:

LOL

Yes, but I've seen conversations in the DDO, personal, and society forums devolve into similar sorts of nonsense. Perhaps it's more frequent in the religion forum because the posters there can't think of any better responses.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 5:30:53 PM
At 3/9/2016 5:22:09 PM, YYW wrote:
At 3/9/2016 5:20:19 PM, Rosalie wrote:

I've read your post and make room for the possibility that you've had a different experience than me. But I could go down the front page of the religion forum, or the first five pages and give you fifteen people who are toxic. I can't do that outside the religion forum.

The thing though is that people on the religion forum has tougher skin, and really don't care. They're so eager to be right. There are many more sensitive people outside the religion forum that get attacked. I as well could easily find about 10 toxic members, outside of the religion forum.

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2016 5:33:08 PM
At 3/9/2016 5:20:42 PM, YYW wrote:
At 3/9/2016 5:11:16 PM, Raisor wrote:

Want a flame war, Raisor? Want to have a flame war with me? I'll bet it will be fun ;)

I am a flame war pacifist lol