Jump to topic:

Hall of Fame suggestion

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 4:25:51 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
It's been years since the Hall of Fame was started. I thought about this randomly yesterday - what is written about each person may be outdated. For example, Bench has made the DDO Movie since he was inducted. So every once in a while, I think we should make additions to Hall of Fame entries - to keep up with what people may have done since being inducted.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 4:37:10 PM
I am not sure what I think about this...I am almost of two minds. Like, I agree with your overall point, but there's something kind of cute/nostalgic about freezing it in time. IDK.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 5:02:31 PM
At 3/10/2016 4:37:10 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I am not sure what I think about this...I am almost of two minds. Like, I agree with your overall point, but there's something kind of cute/nostalgic about freezing it in time. IDK.

I agree. I lean towards static for this very reason.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 5:05:04 PM

Like, the reason Bench is in the hall is not the movie, it is what he did in the further past. If you want to know about him now, well just ask - Im sure he would tell you how he has grown and matured as a troll of conservatives, and amateur IP thief :)
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 8:53:36 PM

Isn't it weird for someone to be in a hall of fame if their greatest achievements aren't necessarily included?

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 8:56:56 PM
At 3/10/2016 8:53:36 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Isn't it weird for someone to be in a hall of fame if their greatest achievements aren't necessarily included?

The hall of fame description are supposed to be about WHY they were nominated into it. People like imabench were nominated long before DDO the movie was released. If you updated them all then nobody would actually know why he was nominated in the first place.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 8:59:06 PM
At 3/10/2016 8:56:56 PM, famousdebater wrote:

The hall of fame description are supposed to be about WHY they were nominated into it. People like imabench were nominated long before DDO the movie was released. If you updated them all then nobody would actually know why he was nominated in the first place.

You could, like, note the additional entry by dating it. That would distinguish it from the reason for nomination.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 9:03:58 PM
At 3/10/2016 8:59:06 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

You could, like, note the additional entry by dating it. That would distinguish it from the reason for nomination.

I suppose but over the years the descriptions will become increasingly long which will make them difficult to read.
John Galsworthy
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 9:05:26 PM
At 3/10/2016 9:03:58 PM, famousdebater wrote:

I suppose but over the years the descriptions will become increasingly long which will make them difficult to read.

Right, because who here can read...

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 9:07:06 PM
At 3/10/2016 9:05:26 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I'm just saying that people just want short entries about the people in the HOF. It can be off putting if we have descriptions the size of whole debates for each individual person in it.
John Galsworthy
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 9:07:33 PM

Not a bad idea.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 9:09:13 PM
At 3/10/2016 9:07:06 PM, famousdebater wrote:

I'm just saying that people just want short entries about the people in the HOF. It can be off putting if we have descriptions the size of whole debates for each individual person in it.

You would think doing enough to be in the Hall of Fame can warrant a couple paragraphs.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 9:09:39 PM
At 3/10/2016 9:09:13 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

You would think doing enough to be in the Hall of Fame can warrant a couple paragraphs.

Quality, not quantity.
John Galsworthy
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 9:10:12 PM
At 3/10/2016 9:09:39 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Quality, not quantity.

That has...absolutely nothing to do with this...

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 9:11:36 PM
At 3/10/2016 4:25:51 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
It's been years since the Hall of Fame was started. I thought about this randomly yesterday - what is written about each person may be outdated. For example, Bench has made the DDO Movie since he was inducted. So every once in a while, I think we should make additions to Hall of Fame entries - to keep up with what people may have done since being inducted.

Ive actually been lobbying Airmax hard about this XD In addition to the lack of mention of the movie, my HoF entry also says I have 200 victories and rank 2nd in wins, when now I have over twice as many and rank 1st in sheer number of wins.... It also makes no mention of the invention of fanfictions either, which is a feat im also quite proud of
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 9:12:32 PM
At 3/10/2016 9:11:36 PM, imabench wrote:

Ive actually been lobbying Airmax hard about this XD In addition to the lack of mention of the movie, my HoF entry also says I have 200 victories and rank 2nd in wins, when now I have over twice as many and rank 1st in sheer number of wins.... It also makes no mention of the invention of fanfictions either, which is a feat im also quite proud of

Yeah...a lot has happened in - what - three years since you got in?

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 9:14:43 PM
In all fairness though a lot of the people in the Hall of Fame havent done anything dramatic or noteworthy in their time after being in the HoF.... Looking over Freedo, Koopin, and Innomens profiles for example I cant really think of anything else to add to them even though they pop by the site once in a while. I on the other hand am simply an oddball since im always attempting crazy sh** around here, so the issue of keeping HoF entries about inductees up to date is pretty much literally only an issue for my case.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 9:14:57 PM
At 3/10/2016 9:10:12 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 3/10/2016 9:09:39 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Quality, not quantity.

That has...absolutely nothing to do with this...

You just said that being in the HOF warrants more than a couple of paragraphs. You are proposing that we update the HOF and add more to it because being in the HOF is a big achievement and updating it will make it better (as is implied by your post regarding it warranting more than a couple of paragraphs). Meaning that you believe that updating the HOF with more content (ie. quantity) will make it better (ie. quality). Therefore I said to you that it isn't about quantity. It is about quality.
John Galsworthy
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 9:16:18 PM

I think the biggest problem with the hall of fame currently is that I'm not in it.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 9:18:09 PM

In a sense, but I agree with TBR when he said that those paragraphs are meant to reflect what they did to get into the HOF, and that those thus have better explanatory value than retrospective reflections.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 9:19:12 PM
I think the Wiki is a better place to keep updated lists of accomplishments.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 9:21:47 PM
At 3/10/2016 9:19:12 PM, bsh1 wrote:

People try to keep the Wiki as an actual thing about the site but unless it gets a sticky I dont see it as a real meaningful part of the site

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 9:24:06 PM
At 3/10/2016 9:21:47 PM, imabench wrote:

People try to keep the Wiki as an actual thing about the site but unless it gets a sticky I dont see it as a real meaningful part of the site

I will work on that, then.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 10:46:11 PM
At 3/10/2016 9:24:06 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Why not tag a link to the person in the hof to their wiki page
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 11:00:04 PM
At 3/10/2016 10:46:11 PM, Mikal wrote:

Good idea.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2016 11:23:22 PM

Dont, the wiki is like the presidency in that it just needs to be left alone to die

CodingSource
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 12:37:56 AM
I think it should not been kept in the Hall of Fame, you know. Something like the "Encyclopedia" would be helpful to update this all. But people, imabench is already a retired debater, and his 450 wins, etc. etc. should be included because those things might not be increased because, he is already retired and just enjoying his thing. His contributions might not grow anymore...and we can just select from his debates to showcase in his Encyclopedia or Hall of Fame.
If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

I have a 10-0-0 debate record with an ELO ranking of 2,814. From 610th during my first two-week stay, I am now 326th in the Debates Leaderboard: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 12:41:08 AM
At 3/10/2016 10:46:11 PM, Mikal wrote:

That's not a bad idea. I will talk with Max this weekend, and I'm sure we can find a good solution to the issue.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 12:41:40 AM
At 3/10/2016 11:23:22 PM, imabench wrote:

Dont, the wiki is like the presidency in that it just needs to be left alone to die

-_-
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics