Jump to topic:

On civility

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2016 10:11:48 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Seriously, grow up, DDO. I have literally heard people tell me the reason they're attacking someone is because that someone attacked them first. So what? If someone does something you don't like, ignore them and move on. This set of flame wars has been within the Society and Politics forums especially--though also within the main forum--with people giving me vague and idiotic excuses for such behavior.

Honestly, substantively respond to a person's post however stupid it is, or point out the flaws; if the other person just insults you, still stay civil. It seems users on this site can't stay civil with a person who is uncivil with them; well, doing that is called "maturity." If you can't be mature, you don't belong here.

And no, this is not a call out--I can't remember any specific individuals who have done this but I'm aware that many have, and I've seen them do it. So I'm asking all of you: stop, and become mature and civil. Civility is important because this site was built for a positive experience for its user base -- that's what any business does. People stay here because they like the time they have here. If you're spoiling that for them, you don't belong here.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 12:52:14 AM
Hmmm I've been on both sides of these attacks. I don't know. Sometimes ad hom can add entertainment value or make things exciting. I hear my neighbors cussing each other out right now. It's good for a chuckle.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 1:10:15 AM
There was a thread made by this same name not long ago, actually. I guess it's good that there is a regular call for civility on the site. At the same time, I guess it's bad that we regularly need one lol
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 1:12:06 AM
I think blowing off steam is important every now and again. It's also important to ensure that the members here feel they can discuss their ideas in a safe environment without being attacked.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 1:13:36 AM
At 3/14/2016 1:12:06 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I think blowing off steam is important every now and again. It's also important to ensure that the members here feel they can discuss their ideas in a safe environment without being attacked.

meh, go do it on reddit. DDO is too good
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 2:11:46 AM
I'm very new here, and your post is spot on. One thing that I would like to point out, is that on this site, so far, I have witnessed far less drama than on many websites that I've had experience with.

People are bound to have conflicts with people who express conflicting ideas, using different styles.

The reason that I enjoy this site, so far, is because this sites lack of frills (that other websites offer), places the attention of the users of this site on direct dialog, rather than on the use of memes, that purposefully are used to illicit an emotional response. This is definitely a content based website, and I hope that it remains this way, even if there are some side show dramas.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 2:17:07 AM
I feel like I am part of the reason why this thread was made...

I just want to apologize to you all for my harsh poor conduct these past few days..
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2016 3:40:00 AM
At 3/14/2016 1:10:15 AM, Maikuru wrote:
There was a thread made by this same name not long ago, actually.

Yeah, bluesteel's thread after the Zarro/YYW drama.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass