Jump to topic:

Opinion on Moderation

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 6:17:12 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Well, it's that time again for an assessment by the community on the moderation of this site. Unlike last time that assessed just airmax1227, the head moderator of this site, opines are encouraged for all moderators. For those of you who do not know, we will go over who the mods are.

First, of course, there is airmax1227. This user is the head moderator of this site and deals with general and umbrella aspects, such as site conduct, enforcing the TOS, and sometimes dealing with errors. Do you think that airmax is doing an "okay" job with moderation? Is he properly conducting his policy in accordance to the user base's desire? Do you think he's too strict or too lax? Do you have any suggestions as to a change in policy?

Then we have Whiteflame. This user is the assistant moderator and the voting moderator. He is the one who enforces the voting standards for debates. He also very occasionally deals with restraining orders between members. Do you think Whiteflame is conducting voting moderation properly? Do you think that he's removing votes that should not be removed, or vice versa? Do you think that he needs to be more in touch with the user base about what he removes and what he doesn't remove? Do you have any suggestions on how he can possibly improve his moderation to act more according to the user base's needs?

The next moderator is Blade-of-Truth. He is the assistant voting moderator. He's responsible for updating the vote mod spreadsheet and contacting members that have their vote or voting privileges removed, and he also might be asked to review a vote if it's a conflict of interest for Whiteflame and airmax1227 to do so. So, do you think Blade-of-Truth is maintaining proper contact with the user base? Do you think he approaches voting issues in a civil and fair manner? Do you think that he's open enough for users to understand what's going on with their standing in regards to voting?

Finally, there is myself. I deal with spam in the forums, occasionally contact airmax1227 about member conflicts, and then translate that to apply to the polls as well. Do you think that spam activity in the forums have decreased since I have been appointed? Do you think that the polls would be a better or worse place without a moderator? Do you think poll removal is judged fairly and reasonably? Do you think moderation's policies being applied in this area are too strict?

All opinions are welcome, but please do not insult the moderators. All moderators except for myself (for I have the least important "job") are not permitted to partake in this thread to prevent the fear of being watched over. Those, such as airmax1227, who violate this rule will be severely admonished. Thank you and we look forward to your constructive criticism.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 6:32:08 PM
You could do Bette r at removing multiple polls, and I have had a few non spam polls removed.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 7:06:12 PM
I talked it over with Airmax and Blade-of-Truth and Whiteflame are allowed to participate to hear criticism and address concerns, but please don't hold back because of this.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 7:07:01 PM
At 3/15/2016 6:32:08 PM, Wylted wrote:
You could do Bette r at removing multiple polls, and I have had a few non spam polls removed.

Unfortunately, airmax is the one that removes the polls at the end of the day and he has to be reminded occasionally because of this.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 7:11:42 PM
At 3/15/2016 7:07:01 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Unfortunately, airmax is the one that removes the polls at the end of the day and he has to be reminded occasionally because of this.

Oh, I wish you had the ability to do so.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 7:15:35 PM
At 3/15/2016 7:11:42 PM, Wylted wrote:

Me too. It'd make things a lot easier.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 7:16:59 PM
At 3/15/2016 7:15:35 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 3/15/2016 7:11:42 PM, Wylted wrote:

Me too. It'd make things a lot easier.

I wouldn't want you doing too much more than that though. You seem like you let stuff go to your head.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 9:25:14 PM
I think moderation does a great gob at going over reported votes, and removing them (if need be).

The polls of course have an issue. Either A) you can't save the pole you've made or B) There multiple polls that are the same, of course Peters can't do anything about that.

As for moderation, I don't believe they're too strict. I think they can be slow on certain issues, and correct members for something that is no longer relevant. But, I understand people are busy..

Overall, B.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 10:00:14 PM
The moderators seem to do a good job suggesting this site is not going to hell in a hand basket. ...10*3+7=(37/4)... If each moderator were to be placed on a spectrum, with 10 being the highest score achievable and the scores averaged, moderation would be best placed at a 9.25.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 10:05:26 PM
From what I have seen, the voting moderation seems fine. As to the other issues of moderation, I have no way to evaluate them because there isn't any transparency. The lack of transparency has been the status quo apparently for years. It's not good.
U.n
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 10:36:47 PM
I saw this on Vikings about two weeks ago.

Kalf asked everyone who opposed him to step out into a circle and chip a mark into a wooden post. After they declared themselves as the opposition, he signaled his archers to slaughter them off.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 10:53:22 PM
The only two moderators I encounter are whiteflame and airmax, so I can give some perspective on them.

In general, I really like the work efforts of the two of them. They both pour countless hours of their own free time into making this site better. Whiteflame does his job well, and seems to be a very good moderator.

Airmax as the head honcho and rule maker, seems to make a lot fair decisions to the best of his abilities, and even when I don't always agree with his decisions, I agree with waaay more than I don't. At any rate, I don't think there are many that could parallel his abilities. One thing that I think would deepen my respect for him as a moderator would be to address the thread I made about vote bombing (seeing as he asked me to make a thread and gather some opinions). And so far a few people seem to be on board with my ideas there (the objections weren't really objections to stopping these votes so much as they seemed to be made up of individuals who don't want to scare voters off with increased moderation). Anyways airmax did promise me he would look at it when he is free, so I will hold him to it. I generally don't complain about much on the site, or ask for many changes anymore. This one change just seems so simple and obvious to me, and seeing some kind of policy enforcement on it would make me happy enough to shrink back into the shadows with no issues.

I didn't even know PeterSmith and BOT were moderators. I try to keep up on most of the drama though, and thus far haven't heard anything bad about their moderation, so I will conclude they are probably decent mods.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 12:03:04 AM
At 3/15/2016 10:36:47 PM, U.n wrote:
I saw this on Vikings about two weeks ago.

Kalf asked everyone who opposed him to step out into a circle and chip a mark into a wooden post. After they declared themselves as the opposition, he signaled his archers to slaughter them off.

Yes, there are just four moderators currently. There used to be more, but some have just moved on and aren't active anymore.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 1:02:19 AM
I didn't know Petersmith was a mod and I'm afraid I don't know much about her. I have a positive relationship with the other mods and think they do a bang up job.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 3:05:21 AM
At 3/15/2016 6:17:12 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

I, for one, welcome our new mod overlords. I'd like to remind them that, as a trusted forum contributor, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground spam mills.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 5:31:30 PM
Bump. Remember to try to cover all moderators, not just one.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

U.n
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2016 11:21:58 AM
At 3/16/2016 5:31:30 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Bump. Remember to try to cover all moderators, not just one.

PetersSmith has been A-okay in my book. Two thumbs up!
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 8:39:28 PM
Bump again.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 11:38:25 PM

Then we have Whiteflame. This user is the assistant moderator and the voting moderator. He is the one who enforces the voting standards for debates. He also very occasionally deals with restraining orders between members. Do you think Whiteflame is conducting voting moderation properly? Do you think that he's removing votes that should not be removed, or vice versa? Do you think that he needs to be more in touch with the user base about what he removes and what he doesn't remove? Do you have any suggestions on how he can possibly improve his moderation to act more according to the user base's needs?

Whiteflame is an excellent moderator. Very helpful and fair.
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 11:40:34 PM
They do their job. That's all I have to say on that matter.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~