Jump to topic:

Why are their so many forum sections?

Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2016 10:43:41 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
In my opinion there are too many forum sections on this site. Many have such low activity people don't check them and if someone does start an interesting thread no one sees it. In my opinion the arts, economics, education, entertainment, funny, history, news, sports and technology forums should be removed and posts on these subjects redirected to the miscellaneous section. It would make it much easier for users of the site to find interesting content and increase the frequency of interesting discussions.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 12:04:49 AM
At 3/15/2016 10:43:41 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
In my opinion there are too many forum sections on this site. Many have such low activity people don't check them and if someone does start an interesting thread no one sees it. In my opinion the arts, economics, education, entertainment, funny, history, news, sports and technology forums should be removed and posts on these subjects redirected to the miscellaneous section. It would make it much easier for users of the site to find interesting content and increase the frequency of interesting discussions.

If we had a "latest" or "most active" filter the number of forums would not be a problem. Not that I am saying it will or could happen, just saying.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 12:36:01 AM
In my opinion the arts, economics, education, entertainment, funny, history, news, sports and technology forums should be removed and posts on these subjects redirected to the miscellaneous section.

The misc section itself though is already pretty big where adding all these other forums into it will only make it an unorganized mess..... I agree with you that the Arts, Education, Funny, Tech, News, and even the sports forums can be done away with, but that the site should keep the Economics and History forums since they get a decent amount of traffic
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 12:47:58 AM

I will murder your family before I let something like that happen...
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 2:31:12 AM

While I would generally agree, especially in regards to the specific sub-forums you listed, we have to understand the reasoning behind the creation of these sub-forums. The only reason they were created in the first place was due to popular demand. People wanted topic-specific forums so that they could connect and chat with like-minded individuals. Could the same thing be accomplished in the misc. section? Sure, but at the time the demand justified the creation of their respective sub-forums.

If you dig back far enough, you could even find the original requests 6-7 years ago for these specific sub-forums. With all this said, we then must ask ourselves - is there legitimate grounds to remove these sub-forums? Yes and no. Yes in the sense that they are seemingly dead at this point in time, but no in the sense that this doesn't mean they will always be dead or useless.

Out of the given list you provided, I checked each sub-forum and the only ones that really seem dead are Arts, Education, Funny, Health, History, and Technology. However, none of these have less than 500 posts in them, and some are leaning more towards the 1,000 mark, which is a good indicator of the activity.

In Arts we have seen several highs and lows within the community, but I personally know of several members who frequent this section with great threads. There have also been tons of fantastic art and music-related debates over the time here, and with it known that we have a community here for art-lovers, I think that sub-forum should remain.

In Education, for a seemingly dead sub-forum it's actually got almost 300 more posts in it than Arts. So clearly it's being used. While it doesn't have the most interesting conversations in it, there are some members here who frequent that section and some very informative threads. I do believe this section also justifies its existence based on the activity and level of conversations that take place there at times.

In Funny, well... this is pretty dead, always has been. I do believe this could be married with the misc. sub-forum.

In Health, again - could probably be married with the misc. section or even perhaps the personal and society sub-forums. All of these topics in this sub-forum could respectively fit in those other sections.

In History, while it is low in post counts, there have been some fantastic discussions. I do believe history is relevant to the present and due to the narrow frame of history discussions should be kept in its own sub-forum. There is really no other sub-forum that history-related topics could be had, perhaps society but not really since society is more "current". All in all, I think the history sub-forum should remain.

In Technology, I'm not too sure. It could most likely be married with the Science sub-forum, but sometimes technology specific topics do need their own section. This is another section that does have some great discussions in it at times, and there are indeed some tech-heads who frequent that forum due to it being their specialty. I could personally go either way on this one.

So, ultimately, out of your list I really think only 2, maybe 3, of them should really be broken up and filtered into bigger sub-forums that would match the relevant topics.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 2:35:43 AM
At 3/16/2016 2:31:12 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

In Arts we have seen several highs and lows within the community, but I personally know of several members who frequent this section with great threads. There have also been tons of fantastic art and music-related debates over the time here, and with it known that we have a community here for art-lovers, I think that sub-forum should
remain.

Thank you... XD
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 2:40:08 AM
Most likely someone hacked into the computer and added a few sections that are unecesary.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 2:43:30 AM
At 3/16/2016 2:35:43 AM, Vaarka wrote:
At 3/16/2016 2:31:12 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

In Arts we have seen several highs and lows within the community, but I personally know of several members who frequent this section with great threads. There have also been tons of fantastic art and music-related debates over the time here, and with it known that we have a community here for art-lovers, I think that sub-forum should
remain.

Thank you... XD

My pleasure good sir.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 2:50:20 AM
At 3/16/2016 12:36:01 AM, imabench wrote:
In my opinion the arts, economics, education, entertainment, funny, history, news, sports and technology forums should be removed and posts on these subjects redirected to the miscellaneous section.

The misc section itself though is already pretty big where adding all these other forums into it will only make it an unorganized mess..... I agree with you that the Arts, Education, Funny, Tech, News, and even the sports forums can be done away with, but that the site should keep the Economics and History forums since they get a decent amount of traffic

I would like to keep Tech. I think it could be much better, but I agree with the others to cut. Keep News I guess.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 3:01:49 AM
At 3/16/2016 2:50:20 AM, TBR wrote:

I would like to keep Tech. I think it could be much better, but I agree with the others to cut. Keep News I guess.

Anything that happens in News 8 out of 10 times can be sorted into politics though :P
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 3:09:10 AM
At 3/16/2016 3:01:49 AM, imabench wrote:
At 3/16/2016 2:50:20 AM, TBR wrote:

Anything that happens in News 8 out of 10 times can be sorted into politics though :P

Yea. There have been news links I wanted to post that I don't want to post to news because I know it will get no exposure.

A site we both know of has "latest" "greatest", and if this site would join us in 2005+ software land, we could have this too. We both know that is not going to happen, but....
Chloe8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 8:05:17 AM
At 3/15/2016 11:45:47 PM, famousdebater wrote:
What about the health forum?

Forgot to mention it. Yes it should also be removed as it it gets hardly any posts.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2016 4:25:25 PM

I agree here but I think that history and economics have fairly good activity and don't deserve to be removed. The rest that you listed as well as health can go.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy