My Intentions regarding the July Election

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 3:32:22 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
Aloha, DDO!

Given the recent, and somewhat premature, buzz over the future of the Presidency, I have been evaluating the question of my future on the site, and I have arrived at a decision. I want to announce my intentions now, both to end speculation and questioning, but also to begin to bring the site together. I may ramble a bit before I get to the point, so please bear with me.

When I initially began to question what my next step would be, I identified three priorities that would guide my decision. The first was a desire to keep intact the programs that our administration had worked so hard over two terms to build. The opt-in voting guide, the bi-weekly topics, the New Member Mentorship Program, and more, are things I want to preserve because I truly believe that these benefit and assist the site and the usership. I fear, unless these programs are instituionalized, unless they become so normalized on the site that it would go against the grain to remove them, unless they become part of DDO's cutlure, that once I were to leave office, the next President would undo them or allow them to die through lack of support. This was the primary force leading me towards running for a third term; a third term would give me the opportunity to focus on institutionalizing and normalizing those programs on the site.

The second priority was a desire to balance my offline life with my online life. I feel obligated to be on the site for multiple hours every day to work with users, participate in site goings-on, and to generally be present. I think this is an obligation that every President has and should take seriously. But, this level of sustained commitment can make the site draining, and can cause it to evolve from a pastime to a chore, and chores are naturally harder to enjoy than pastimes. This was the primary force propelling me towards not seeking a third term and returning to life as a private DDO citizen; while I will always love and care about DDO for all that it's given me and for all that I've done here, not feeling obligated to be on the site, to manage existing programs, and implement new efforts, would allow me to recapture some of the verve I had for the site when I first ran against TUF, back in the mists of time.

The third and final priority was a desire to avoid another highly contentious and potentially hostile election environment. The heated elections of the past have only driven the members of DDO farther apart, and created volatile us-vs.-them environments that made the site intolerable for many, and toxic for all. Forcing the site, and the voters, candidates, and bystanders, to endure an election of this type is not a favor to the site; it would be irresponsible and reprehensible. This was the line of reasoning that lead me to my eventually decision. Rather than dividing the site and sewing the seeds of factional enmity here, I wanted to find a means of unifying the site so we could advance together.

To that end, I have decided not to seek reelection as President, but instead I will be joining Wylted's ticket as a Co-Vice-President. I approached Wylted with an initial offer to combine our possible campaigns a few days ago, shortly after he announced his intention to run, and an eventual agreement was reached. This ticket represents the ultimate unity government, and while some details remain to be settled, this is a great step forward in terms of building, rather than burning, bridges on DDO.

Several conditions were wrapped up in this agreement; notably, I will retain "exclusive and full control" over key programs, including the OP and Debate of the Month programs, the Bi-Weekly Topics, the New Member Mentorship Program, and the Tournament System. If Wylted should step down for any reason, I will succeed to the Presidency, and Wylted has guaranteed that he will continue or allow me to continue the Presidential Updates and the Presidential Bulletin. I will also be able to select the Chief-of-Staff for a Wylted administration, should we be elected.

Regarding my reasoning for this decision, I believe that if I ran myself, I could win--the latest survey results seem to support that notion, since I would have less ground to make up than Wylted to capture votes. However, I also believe that if I ran against Wylted, the election would do exactly one of the things that I wanted to avoid: foster an us-vs.-them battle. The election would be close, and many people feel strongly on both sides of the aisle. The chance that frustrations and hostility may erupt during the election, or outlast that election, is by no means far-fetched. Additionally, I believed by presenting a merger, I could achieve both of my other objective in the process. By stepping down from the Presidency, the totality of obligations I have will diminish, allowing me to pay more attention to my real life, and to be able to enjoy this great site much more. But, by remaining in office, I can continue to focus on those programs over which I retain sole jurisdiction, which I believe should remain as services and institutions on the site. I can now work more narrowly on those specific initiatives to expand and establish them further, and that will go along way, I think, towards enlarging the base of reliable tools users have to improve their experiences on the site.

This arrangement will not simply help achieve the three priorities I listed, but it will also give Wylted and Rosalie more freedom to work on those programs they want to achieve. Because they do not need to invest time and energy in administrating those programs that I will be charged with running, hopefully with the aid of the COS, they will be able to redirect their energies elsewhere, and can use that advantage to grow the number of outreach efforts and programs available to users. And, I will offer my assistance, knowledge, and experience to them to help them wherever needed, to ensure a smooth transition of administrations and to help guarantee the success and utility of future programs.

So, for the next 4 months, I will continue to work hard as President every day for DDO. I will continue to deliver on the platform I ran on in December with the aid of my administration team. If elected in the July election on Wylted's ticket, I will be part of a different team, but I will continue to work hard for DDO every day, and I will continue to administer those key programs. This is, in essence, a grand bargain, and it is my sincere wish that this preserves unity on the site, and allows DDO to move forward with the assurance of a degree of stability, while still making a significant change.

It has been an honor serving as President, and I hope to earn your support as a co-Vice-President in the upcoming election. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Bsh
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 3:37:51 AM
I think this is truly the best of both worlds for our various supporters, and I appreciate you joining our team.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 3:53:27 AM
At 3/18/2016 3:37:51 AM, Wylted wrote:
I think this is truly the best of both worlds for our various supporters, and I appreciate you joining our team.

Thank you. I hope can continue to be a productive contributor to the site moving forward.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 4:25:44 AM
The amount of political maneuvering over a largely inconsequential position amazes me.

You are so insistent that your programs not die that you are willing to be a de-facto president to ensure that they stay on. But if the programs had any value on their own, then they would stay on regardless of you.

The stickied OPs have actually been a bad idea. It seems like you guys just randomly sticky whatever you like and it makes the forum more cluttered. The stickied topics have rarely been more useful than any other topic.

The new member mentorship program was being run by Zaradi last I saw. Zaradi should report to the person that the memberbase elects to represent them (i.e. the president) so it seems weird that you want to step in and take control of it.

The opt-in voting guide seems to have been a flop. A vast number of debates have not been done with the opt-in system. I assume some have been but I've never seen one yet. Besides what still needs to be done to the opt-in system? Isn't that now in the hands of the mods to enforce?

The tournament system/modlist is also something that is ultimately the president's responsibility - that's why we have elections. We elect someone to organize the social aspects of this site. I'd have been okay if Wylted wanted to delegate some of these tasks to you but claiming that you are going to have "exclusive rights" over these programs shows me that this administration will be compromised meaning someone else might be a better place to vote.

You've had two terms to "normalize" the programs you wanted. If they haven't been, then it means the memberbase doesn't care about it enough.

I'm extremely skeptical that your third and final priority was to avoid drama. I suspect that like with the mafia modding referendum, you feared losing outright. You sensed that Wylted has a lot more support than before and decided to build failsafes so that you would retain "power." It's not any real power of consequence but still a "position."

If you are a co-vice-president, shouldn't you and Rosalie run against each other in the event something happens to Wylted? You selecting a Chief of Staff instead of Wylted himself again makes me feel that this is a compromised presidency. The president selects the chief of staff, not the co-vice-president.

In summary - I don't believe you. If you truly wanted to spend more time irl and that the presidency is exhausting for you, you would have stepped down quietly and moved on and been an somewhat active and contributing member of DDO. If that's what you wanted, then you would have let Rosalie succeed Wylted if Wylted left. Instead, you tried to get an agreement with Wylted to have you succeed him if something goes wrong.

You neither want to avoid drama nor take a break from this site. You want to retain "power." You also want to avoid the potential embarrassment of losing to Wylted. And that's okay. But please cut the crap and stop feeding us bullsh!t like this is some sort of noble endeavor.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 4:30:33 AM
Can I get a tl;dr of the 1st and 4th posts in this thread?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 4:36:38 AM
At 3/18/2016 4:30:33 AM, Maikuru wrote:

1- I will not seek reelection and join Wylted's ticket. This will decrease drama and the time I have to spend on the position while still keeping site programs up.

4- I don't believe any of those reasons, you just want power.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 4:40:05 AM
At 3/18/2016 4:36:38 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

1- I will not seek reelection and join Wylted's ticket. This will decrease drama and the time I have to spend on the position while still keeping site programs up.

4- I don't believe any of those reasons, you just want power.

That is legit. Thanks!
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 5:00:11 AM
At 3/18/2016 4:25:44 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
The amount of political maneuvering over a largely inconsequential position amazes me.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 5:04:44 AM

The presidency is mostly what you make of it. When TUF was president, he took it to a personal level shelling out his own money to people who cast great votes and got Juggle to implement the select winner system. When Ore_Ele was president, he did jack and we didn't even know we had a president.

It is not a moderation position, its more of a social position. I just want to give someone new a chance to throw their hat in the ring for the potential to see them do something awesome. If a selfless person who cares about the site wants to do something great, I want to see it happen. I'm just tired of these "presidential updates" that are bumped every 24 hours, and inconsequential, non-useful "initiatives" like stickying OPs and the constant AMAs every couple of weeks. I want to see fresh blood.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 5:14:18 AM

F16, first you intimate that I made up the results of the survey, then you accuse me of deliberately skewing the results of that survey in my favor, and now you accuse me of deceit and manipulation to retain power.

You backed off both of your first two objections when it became clear you were wrong on each. When will you stop the character assassinations that are neither appropriate nor called for? You went into the survey thread with the objectives of discrediting me and the survey, and now you come into this thread to paint me in a similarly negative light? This is just so blatantly prejudiced and immature that I can hardly believe it is coming from one of the site's senior members.

You are so insistent that your programs not die that you are willing to be a de-facto president to ensure that they stay on. But if the programs had any value on their own, then they would stay on regardless of you.

Firstly, I am not going to be "de facto President." Control over 4 programs is hardly "de facto President." I will not have the power to start new programs on my own initiative, and all other programs and efforts will be under Wylted's control.

Second, your claim that valuable programs would stick around regardless carries zero weight for several reasons. Presidents come into power with their own agendas. If, for instance, a President were elected whose sole mission was to get the Presidency abolished, this President may undo many of the programs that have been initiated. Oftentimes members who vote for movements like this are not the primary beneficiaries of the programs in question, do not understand the utility of the programs, and/or are not aware of those programs.

Moreover, it often takes time for the value of a program to become apparent; as with any policy, the effects of that policy have to be carefully assessed overtime. That is precisely why I conduct regular surveys. A President could easily undo a program of their predecessor because they did not give it enough time to prove itself. Finally, some Presidents may just not feel obligated to put in the effort to maintain certain policies; I want to make sure that these policies are too entrenched and useful for a President to get away with leaving them to decay. Valuable policies are not always the most popular or well-known policies because the good that they do does not effect or is not well-communicated to the broader populace.

The new member mentorship program was being run by Zaradi last I saw. Zaradi should report to the person that the memberbase elects to represent them (i.e. the president) so it seems weird that you want to step in and take control of it.

If you followed the Presidential Updates, you would be aware that Zaradi stepped down from that some time ago. It was briefly transferred to theProphett to run, but now I am running it directly because Proph had some other conflicts which took up his time. Moreover, even when Zaradi and Proph ran it, I was always in control of it; it was made under the auspices of our administration, after all. [http://www.debate.org...]

Besides, if the userbase votes for the Wylted ticket, it will be doing so with the knowledge of the caveats involved, as I have presented them here. This will give a mandate to the ticket to run as it has promised to run.

The opt-in voting guide seems to have been a flop. A vast number of debates have not been done with the opt-in system. I assume some have been but I've never seen one yet. Besides what still needs to be done to the opt-in system? Isn't that now in the hands of the mods to enforce?

My intention was never that the opt-in voting guide be used in "a vast number of debates." I never expected that to happen, because I knew that there would be those who weren't aware of it, those who thought voting thresholds should be reduced, and those who worried about it reducing the chances for getting votes on their debates. Regardless, I have seen several debates use it--in fact, I voted on one not more than a few days ago. As long as it is being used and is a viable option for debaters, than it is a success in my mind.

In essence, you fundamentally misunderstood its purpose, F16. Its purpose was never anything more than expanding the array of option available to users.

The tournament system/modlist is also something that is ultimately the president's responsibility - that's why we have elections. We elect someone to organize the social aspects of this site.

Well, I should repeat here the following: "Besides, if the userbase votes for the Wylted ticket, it will be doing so with the knowledge of the caveats involved, as I have presented them here. This will give a mandate to the ticket to run as it has promised to run."

You sensed that Wylted has a lot more support than before and decided to build failsafes so that you would retain "power." It's not any real power of consequence but still a "position."

How Machiavellian of me.

I am just going to lump this assertion in with your other, recent, attacks on my character--the attacks you later withdrew because they, like this one, were utterly without merit.

If you are a co-vice-president, shouldn't you and Rosalie run against each other in the event something happens to Wylted? You selecting a Chief of Staff instead of Wylted himself again makes me feel that this is a compromised presidency. The president selects the chief of staff, not the co-vice-president.

It is important to address this idea of a "compromised" presidency you opine about. In order to successfully unify our tickets, compromise is involved. Wylted and I, because we are different people, have different priorities, and so we naturally have to work out a model that will allow us both to pursue those priorities to the greatest extent possible.

The office of the Presidency has not been compromised; if anything, by avoid a delegitimizingly hostile election, it can be strengthened. But, in any negotiation, there has to be give-and-take. Compare it to forming a coalition government in a parliamentary democracy. The office of the Prime Minister is not compromised because David Cameron made concessions to the Liberal Democrats in order to form a government; he saved the country from another round of tumultuous elections and created a plan of action that reflected the desires of a broad range of voters. That is precisely what we are doing here; I represent a group of supporters whose voice I can represent in the administration, and Wylted represents a group of supports whose voice he can represent. Together, we represent more than we do apart.

In summary - I don't believe you. If you truly wanted to spend more time irl and that the presidency is exhausting for you, you would have stepped down quietly and moved on and been an somewhat active and contributing member of DDO.

This would be true if that we my only motivation, which clearly, as I noted, it was not. Now, before you accuse me of lying, you could at least take the time to read what I wrote, which explains the balancing act I was trying to perform in reaching this outcome.

Instead, you tried to get an agreement with Wylted to have you succeed him if something goes wrong.

I doubt anything will go wrong. The reason my succeeding first came up was the result of the following exchange. Me: "Also, if something were to happen and you left office, who would succeed you?." Wylted: "I think the responsible thing is to have you succeed me."

By that point in our conversation, we had already agreed on everything else, and that was never a demand I had made. Wylted volunteered the suggestion that I succeed first, not me.

Since you weren't privy to the convo, don't pretend to know its details.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 5:22:06 AM
You neither want to avoid drama nor take a break from this site. You want to retain "power.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com...

You also want to avoid the potential embarrassment of losing to Wylted. And that's okay. But please cut the crap and stop feeding us bullsh!t like this is some sort of noble endeavor.

It's not. I explained why I made the decision I did. Having participated in 3 hotly contested and divisive elections, and having seen firsthand how bruising they can be, I can personally attest to the importance of unity. All of those elections impacted me personally in different ways, and none of which I would ever want to repeat. One of those times I was not even running for a position.

I understand you dislike me, and I think I understand why. But your opinion about me is so firmly established that you're unable to contemplate that I could act in any way beyond your preexisting schema of who I am. You cannot possibly know what went through my head; everything you've said in this thread has been mere supposition, and defamatory supposition at that. I have been open about the reasons for my decision, and if you don't want to take me at my word, then fine. But leave the hostility, abrasiveness, and personal attacks unsaid, because they are frankly inappropriate, unprovoked, and unnecessary.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 5:23:15 AM

Me: Gonna run on a combined ticket to form a sort of coalition government.

F16: Bsh is a power-hungry, political cretin; namely, this is bsh: http://1.bp.blogspot.com...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 5:28:48 AM
At 3/18/2016 5:04:44 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

The presidency is mostly what you make of it. When TUF was president, he took it to a personal level shelling out his own money to people who cast great votes and got Juggle to implement the select winner system. When Ore_Ele was president, he did jack and we didn't even know we had a president.

It is not a moderation position, its more of a social position. I just want to give someone new a chance to throw their hat in the ring for the potential to see them do something awesome. If a selfless person who cares about the site wants to do something great, I want to see it happen. I'm just tired of these "presidential updates" that are bumped every 24 hours, and inconsequential, non-useful "initiatives" like stickying OPs and the constant AMAs every couple of weeks. I want to see fresh blood.

What AMAs are part of official programs? So far as I recall, there has been 1 official Presidency-related AMA in 3 months...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 5:34:26 AM
I am fully aware that this arrangement may not appeal to many people, including Wylted supporters and people who would have voted for a 3rd Bsh term. That being said, a good compromise never gives anyone precisely what they want, but gives people something they can live with, and which has benefits that justify the imperfections. I think this arrangement is just such a deal, with the benefits being site unity and a mixture of new blood and experience.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 5:37:22 AM
Plus, it is not my intention, if elected as part of Wylted's ticket, to continue in elected office beyond that.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 5:39:35 AM
I'm going to try and ignore the bitching about "personal attacks" that you do everytime someone disagrees with you and the calling me prejudiced, immature, character-assassinating and various other buzzwords you like to throw around to appear morally superior.

I have nothing personal against you. Trying to frame it like you did and playing the victim isn't helping.

1. You want to forcibly ingrain your programs onto DDO when the memberbase doesn't seem interested. That shows that you want it to happen because you have a sentimental attachment to these programs and want to feel like you accomplished something. That's exactly the issue I have with you. I want to see someone selfless - someone who truly cares about the site try their hand at the presidency. I'm tired of you doing a token job just so you can "add it to your resume" that you did X and Y.

2. Your survey is a poor indicator of what the active members on DDO want. Like I said, if people want the tournament system or the OP of the week and find it useful, they will keep it and talk to the president to have them continue it. Thing is, most people don't seem to care.

3. I never accused you of deliberately lying about the survey. I explicitly said I believed that you didn't pull those numbers out of thin air. I just don't think the survey was useful.

4. Presidents do indeed have their own agendas. The memberbase decides whether those agendas are what we want before we elect a president. If a president has no intention of continuing your programs and the members elect him, so be it. You continuing to run these programs reeks of doing so because of emotional attachment and a need to feel like you achieved something rather than trying to benefit the site.

5. I understand that voting Wylted means that you have some "power" to adversely affect things on DDO and that's something I will take into consideration before casting my vote. Personally I think Wylted should kick you off his ticket.

5. You were a part of three hotly contested elections. If you wanted out, you would have bowed out. Instead you cast around for a way to retain power without having to go through the elections or facing the ignominy of a lost election. This thirst for power intrigues me. I honestly don't care if you have that power as long as you don't try to frame it as something noble. In any case, I'll see what other options are out there and hopefully someone good steps up.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 5:54:32 AM
At 3/18/2016 5:00:11 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 6:25:52 AM
At 3/18/2016 5:39:35 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I'm going to try and ignore the bitching about "personal attacks" that you do everytime someone disagrees with you and the calling me prejudiced, immature, character-assassinating and various other buzzwords you like to throw around to appear morally superior.

F16, implying that I am power-hungry, deceitful, and some kind of Machiavellian schemer who goes around making deals to retain that power, is attacking my character, is unwarranted and inappropriate, is immature and prejudiced. And pointing this out is not "bitching;" it is pointing out where you crossed the line so that we can have a levelheaded discussion.

If you cannot conduct a conversation about me without this kind of hostility, than reasonable discussion will necessarily go out the window.

More to the point, if I were so desperate for power, I would not have promised not to run for elected office after this.

I have nothing personal against you. Trying to frame it like you did and playing the victim isn't helping.

You do. In addition to the image you tried to paint me as in this thread, let's review some of the other comments you've made about me within the past 4 days: "you don't have a high level of intellectual integrity," "it's so hard to get anything through to your thick skull," "[y]our personality is so messed up I'm glad the only 'official' thing you do on this site is something completely inconsequential," "[y]ou can't actually be retarded enough to believe that," "[i]nteracting with you is a literal pain." Moreover, in the survey thread, you accused me of just PMing my friends to rig the results in my favor.

Maybe it's just me, but comments like "your personality is so messed up" seem incredibly personal, not to mention inappropriate and hostile.

1. You want to forcibly ingrain your programs onto DDO when the memberbase doesn't seem interested.

Lol...that is such a mischaracterization of reality, that I am not even sure where to begin.

I said that I wanted to institutionalize and normalize those programs on the site. Oddly enough, the way you make things institutions, the way you normalize them, is by making them normal. It is my intention just to make running those 4 programs highly efficient, and then just continuing to run them so that they become regular fixtures that people can look forward to and/or use. I am not "forcibly ingraining" my programs on anyone, and to suggest I am is to tlaunch the rocket ship of logic into the nebula of nonsense. Literally, all I am doing is optimizing the programs for efficiency and making sure that they continue to be offered.

I'm tired of you doing a token job just so you can "add it to your resume" that you did X and Y.

No one has before accused me of doing a token job. I've been accused of doing too much in the office, and I've done a lot with what I have to work with. But, if that's how you feel, I am not going to argue it out with you here.

2. Your survey is a poor indicator of what the active members on DDO want.

I think we already beat this subject to death, and you've had to walk back most of your baseless accusations, and everything else I have explained and responded to.

Like I said, if people want the tournament system or the OP of the week and find it useful, they will keep it and talk to the president to have them continue it. Thing is, most people don't seem to care.

The OP of the Month has only been going for one month, so there's yet to be much feedback to it, and until it gets rolling a bit more, there won't be. But I have already explained why the idea that useful programs will necessarily be continued because they are useful is without merit.

3. I never accused you of deliberately lying about the survey.

I never said you accused me of deliberately manufacturing results outright. There were moments, I said, when it felt as if it was "intimated," until I specifically brought the point up and you backtracked. But, you did clearly accuse me of lying about the survey's methodology in another way.

Let me quote you:

"Polls can be manipulated if the person making the polls just goes to people that he likes and PMs them for support." And "I do think you immediately sent it to a bunch of people who like you and re-iterate your awesomeness back to you. You do have a tendency to spam people for support." And "I don't trust you as a person enough to believe that your methods were fair."

So, let's recap. I said: "70 people...were randomly selected from my friendslist," and then you said: "I do think you immediately sent it to a bunch of people who like you and re-iterate your awesomeness back to you. You do have a tendency to spam people for support." This is pretty clearly saying that I lied about the randomness of the survey results, and that I skewed the results in my own favor.

You continuing to run these programs reeks of doing so because of emotional attachment and a need to feel like you achieved something rather than trying to benefit the site.

No. It reeks of the reality that I believe that these programs do a lot of good for the site, as is reflected in all of the surveys I have gotten and the the one-on-one feedback I occasionally receive.

5. I understand that voting Wylted means that you have some "power" to adversely affect things on DDO and that's something I will take into consideration before casting my vote. Personally I think Wylted should kick you off his ticket.

And that is perfectly fine, and within your prerogative as a voter.

5. You were a part of three hotly contested elections. If you wanted out, you would have bowed out. Instead you cast around for a way to retain power without having to go through the elections or facing the ignominy of a lost election.

The first time was against TUF, and while it was hotly contested and divisive, it never reached the level of toxicity that it did in later elections, so the motivation to get out wasn't there. Actually, I am glad that TUF won, because, in retrospect, I was not ready to serve. The third election was against Mikal, and I stayed heavily involved in that one because I was friends with Bladerunner and I felt very strongly that he deserved reelection for all the effort he had invested, and I stayed involved because I thought that Mikal would be a disaster for the site. It was the Donald Trump effect; I was so scared of the possibility of his election I opted to endure the climate of animosity rather than see him take office. Finally, the most recently election was the other hotly contested election. I did not even expect it to be as hotly contested as it was until voting actually began. Maybe that was pretentious of me, and I'll admit to that, but the closeness of it humbled me. Regardless, I did not drop out then because voting had already begun and I assumed the rancor would not reach the levels it did by the last day of voting. Most of the hostility came during and after the election. In none of those cases did I stay in because, as you assume, I wanted power more than I wanted to avoid the hostility of the campaign.

This thirst for power intrigues me. I honestly don't care if you have that power as long as you don't try to frame it as something noble.

Again, this is just another character assassination. If you think I feign victimhood, you should at least be able to acknowledge you have some deep-seated need to present me as some maniacal, power-mongering villain, aka: http://1.bp.blogspot.com...

In any case, I'll see what other options are out there and hopefully someone good steps up.

Okie dokie.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 6:29:18 AM
At 3/18/2016 5:54:32 AM, imabench wrote:

*sigh*

It's not political maneuvering in the sense that F16 presents it as, Bench. There is a difference between making a political deal to retain power, and making one to benefit the site as a whole. I will have less power going forward from the election, win or lose, and, if Wylted wins, I will not be seeking elected office afterward.

The notion that I am doing this solely so that I personally benefit from Wylted's political largesse is false.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 7:30:53 AM
At 3/18/2016 6:29:18 AM, bsh1 wrote:

*sigh*

It's not political maneuvering in the sense that F16 presents it as, Bench.

I wasnt agreeing with F-16's assessment of what constitutes 'political maneuvering', I was only agreeing with hi that its amazing how much people care about the presidency when it is overall a completely useless and expendable accessory
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 7:31:36 AM
At 3/18/2016 7:30:53 AM, imabench wrote:
At 3/18/2016 6:29:18 AM, bsh1 wrote:

*sigh*

It's not political maneuvering in the sense that F16 presents it as, Bench.

I wasnt agreeing with F-16's assessment of what constitutes 'political maneuvering', I was only agreeing with hi that its amazing how much people care about the presidency when it is overall a completely useless and expendable accessory

Okie dokie. Sorry for misinterpreting.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 2:11:27 PM
The opt-in voting guide seems to have been a flop. A vast number of debates have not been done with the opt-in system. I assume some have been but I've never seen one yet.

Quite a few, in fact.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 2:22:27 PM
At 3/18/2016 2:11:27 PM, tejretics wrote:
The opt-in voting guide seems to have been a flop. A vast number of debates have not been done with the opt-in system. I assume some have been but I've never seen one yet.

Quite a few, in fact.

Apparently these are ones that the average user wouldn't know about.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 2:32:34 PM
I want to point out that in my announcement thread, I specifically mentioned I would delegate all of BSH1's programs and not be personally involved with them myself. With as much praise as I heaped on him that thread, it should be obvious that if he waited until after the election was over and asked me to delegate those programs to him, I would have.

I made it clear that those programs were not my interest, and my focus would be elsewhere.
DarthKirones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 2:39:29 PM
At 3/18/2016 1:58:27 PM, Mikal wrote:
Lol

Voting for max this election wheter he likes it or not

+1
"I am not religious. I am a genius. I have the Universe in my hands."
-Aerogant

"Of course a jewish baby cannibalizing a jewish mommy is fine"
-Heil being retarded

"Eradicating the baby scourge from our midsts is most certainly fun. And I am proud to be your hero. Babies tremble then they hear my name.. Airmax, the hero of baby annihilation."
-Airmax
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 3:15:19 PM
At 3/18/2016 3:32:22 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Aloha, DDO!

Given the recent, and somewhat premature, buzz over the future of the Presidency, I have been evaluating the question of my future on the site, and I have arrived at a decision. I want to announce my intentions now, both to end speculation and questioning, but also to begin to bring the site together. I may ramble a bit before I get to the point, so please bear with me.

When I initially began to question what my next step would be, I identified three priorities that would guide my decision. The first was a desire to keep intact the programs that our administration had worked so hard over two terms to build. The opt-in voting guide, the bi-weekly topics, the New Member Mentorship Program, and more, are things I want to preserve because I truly believe that these benefit and assist the site and the usership. I fear, unless these programs are instituionalized, unless they become so normalized on the site that it would go against the grain to remove them, unless they become part of DDO's cutlure, that once I were to leave office, the next President would undo them or allow them to die through lack of support. This was the primary force leading me towards running for a third term; a third term would give me the opportunity to focus on institutionalizing and normalizing those programs on the site.

The second priority was a desire to balance my offline life with my online life. I feel obligated to be on the site for multiple hours every day to work with users, participate in site goings-on, and to generally be present. I think this is an obligation that every President has and should take seriously. But, this level of sustained commitment can make the site draining, and can cause it to evolve from a pastime to a chore, and chores are naturally harder to enjoy than pastimes. This was the primary force propelling me towards not seeking a third term and returning to life as a private DDO citizen; while I will always love and care about DDO for all that it's given me and for all that I've done here, not feeling obligated to be on the site, to manage existing programs, and implement new efforts, would allow me to recapture some of the verve I had for the site when I first ran against TUF, back in the mists of time.

The third and final priority was a desire to avoid another highly contentious and potentially hostile election environment. The heated elections of the past have only driven the members of DDO farther apart, and created volatile us-vs.-them environments that made the site intolerable for many, and toxic for all. Forcing the site, and the voters, candidates, and bystanders, to endure an election of this type is not a favor to the site; it would be irresponsible and reprehensible. This was the line of reasoning that lead me to my eventually decision. Rather than dividing the site and sewing the seeds of factional enmity here, I wanted to find a means of unifying the site so we could advance together.

To that end, I have decided not to seek reelection as President, but instead I will be joining Wylted's ticket as a Co-Vice-President. I approached Wylted with an initial offer to combine our possible campaigns a few days ago, shortly after he announced his intention to run, and an eventual agreement was reached. This ticket represents the ultimate unity government, and while some details remain to be settled, this is a great step forward in terms of building, rather than burning, bridges on DDO.

Several conditions were wrapped up in this agreement; notably, I will retain "exclusive and full control" over key programs, including the OP and Debate of the Month programs, the Bi-Weekly Topics, the New Member Mentorship Program, and the Tournament System. If Wylted should step down for any reason, I will succeed to the Presidency, and Wylted has guaranteed that he will continue or allow me to continue the Presidential Updates and the Presidential Bulletin. I will also be able to select the Chief-of-Staff for a Wylted administration, should we be elected.

Regarding my reasoning for this decision, I believe that if I ran myself, I could win--the latest survey results seem to support that notion, since I would have less ground to make up than Wylted to capture votes. However, I also believe that if I ran against Wylted, the election would do exactly one of the things that I wanted to avoid: foster an us-vs.-them battle. The election would be close, and many people feel strongly on both sides of the aisle. The chance that frustrations and hostility may erupt during the election, or outlast that election, is by no means far-fetched. Additionally, I believed by presenting a merger, I could achieve both of my other objective in the process. By stepping down from the Presidency, the totality of obligations I have will diminish, allowing me to pay more attention to my real life, and to be able to enjoy this great site much more. But, by remaining in office, I can continue to focus on those programs over which I retain sole jurisdiction, which I believe should remain as services and institutions on the site. I can now work more narrowly on those specific initiatives to expand and establish them further, and that will go along way, I think, towards enlarging the base of reliable tools users have to improve their experiences on the site.

This arrangement will not simply help achieve the three priorities I listed, but it will also give Wylted and Rosalie more freedom to work on those programs they want to achieve. Because they do not need to invest time and energy in administrating those programs that I will be charged with running, hopefully with the aid of the COS, they will be able to redirect their energies elsewhere, and can use that advantage to grow the number of outreach efforts and programs available to users. And, I will offer my assistance, knowledge, and experience to them to help them wherever needed, to ensure a smooth transition of administrations and to help guarantee the success and utility of future programs.

So, for the next 4 months, I will continue to work hard as President every day for DDO. I will continue to deliver on the platform I ran on in December with the aid of my administration team. If elected in the July election on Wylted's ticket, I will be part of a different team, but I will continue to work hard for DDO every day, and I will continue to administer those key programs. This is, in essence, a grand bargain, and it is my sincere wish that this preserves unity on the site, and allows DDO to move forward with the assurance of a degree of stability, while still making a significant change.

It has been an honor serving as President, and I hope to earn your support as a co-Vice-President in the upcoming election. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Bsh

I don't want to get into bickering on this, but I share a little of F-16_Fighting_Falcon feeling on this. Why not just say Wylted will have me run these programs rather than invent a new "co-VP" spot? The power of the president to start these programs is unnecessary at this point, only the delegated responsibility to keep them going.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 4:52:40 PM
At 3/18/2016 3:15:19 PM, TBR wrote:
I don't want to get into bickering on this, but I share a little of F-16_Fighting_Falcon feeling on this. Why not just say Wylted will have me run these programs rather than invent a new "co-VP" spot? The power of the president to start these programs is unnecessary at this point, only the delegated responsibility to keep them going.

For several reasons, including to bring two camps together and to ensure that this promise would be kept.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 5:20:47 PM
At 3/18/2016 4:52:40 PM, bsh1 wrote:

For several reasons, including to bring two camps together and to ensure that this promise would be kept.

Fair enough. it seems that an endorsement would have worked as well.

I have given my take. I am not trying to question this too much, only express the point.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2016 5:31:20 PM
At 3/18/2016 5:20:47 PM, TBR wrote:
At 3/18/2016 4:52:40 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Fair enough. it seems that an endorsement would have worked as well.

Him endorsing me? An endorsement is just words. Him comingvon board to be a subordinate, speeks way more than any endorsement would.

Besides there are more advantages to bringing him on board than just the fact I will more easily delegate those things to him. He can debrief me on how any behind the scenes stuff works, and show me the ropes, eliminating any learning curve associated with obtaining the presidency.

Not to mention the fact, it makes my efforts to influence policy a lot easier immediately, given his position. Anyone who supports me for reasons other than just because they want the office eliminated should ve happy. Bsh1 supporters should be happy, because the things they like will continue, and people with a vendetta should be happy, because this means BSH1 will never be president.

I don't see how anybody can be unhappy with this merger.

I have given my take. I am not trying to question this too much, only express the point.