Total Posts:28|Showing Posts:1-28
Jump to topic:

Make DDO Great Again

SolonKR
Posts: 4,265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:02:03 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
No, I'm not running for president. In spite of the silly title, this is a serious topic.

We talk a lot about what to do about the site. We talk about how to solve inactivity. We talk about how to get good voters. We talk about Juggle. We talk about all of these things that we think will bring the site back to the intellectual rigor and it once had. Now, talking about all of those things is important. However, too often, we don't do anything ourselves to solve the problems, and we can--it really is as easy as just stepping up.

There are, as of my last count, 324 posts in total about the presidential election. There will likely be literally thousands more over the next few months. All of the people who have made posts in these threads are genuinely concerned with improving the site, so I ask you all, as I have recently asked myself, this:

Can you imagine if the time and emotional energy invested in this were spent on other parts of the site? We all want activity. Let's say that an average of two minutes (an underestimate, I believe, but it is sufficient for this demonstration) was spent on each post. That's over 10 hours of time. That's enough for 20 great RFDs, or 10 excellent new forum topics. Obviously, time isn't divisible like that, but in the long run, individual users will spend that amount of time worrying about the site or more by the time this election rolls around.

So, this is my plea. If you want to make DDO great again, stop worrying about flame wars and drama (to the best of your abilities), and start focusing on what actually matters on this site--serious discussion and debate about real issues. That's not to say that a good trolling once in a while isn't fun, but it is to say that fixing the site starts and ends with the community prioritizing serious discussions above everything else.

I just cast a vote with a detailed RFD for the first time in months. Maybe it was a garbage vote, but I at least have recognized that I need to make the effort to fix DDO. The same goes for all of you. Make a forum topic. Cast a vote. Try starting a new forum game. Engage in a discussion. Do something. It's the responsibility of everyone who cares about the site to do this.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Believer in the heart of the cards.

" . . . most people can't see the cherries for the trees" - Mixed metaphors are bae
lannan13
Posts: 23,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:18:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Great as in when?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
SolonKR
Posts: 4,265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:22:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:18:24 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Great as in when?

The title was just clickbait meant to get people to read this -_-
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Believer in the heart of the cards.

" . . . most people can't see the cherries for the trees" - Mixed metaphors are bae
lannan13
Posts: 23,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:23:29 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:22:45 AM, SolonKR wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:18:24 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Great as in when?

The title was just clickbait meant to get people to read this -_-

You wrote stuff, so you should know what you're talking about.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
SolonKR
Posts: 4,265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:25:45 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:23:29 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:22:45 AM, SolonKR wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:18:24 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Great as in when?

The title was just clickbait meant to get people to read this -_-

You wrote stuff, so you should know what you're talking about.

-_-
Fine. Great = then.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Believer in the heart of the cards.

" . . . most people can't see the cherries for the trees" - Mixed metaphors are bae
lannan13
Posts: 23,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:26:17 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:25:45 AM, SolonKR wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:23:29 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:22:45 AM, SolonKR wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:18:24 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Great as in when?

The title was just clickbait meant to get people to read this -_-

You wrote stuff, so you should know what you're talking about.

-_-
Fine. Great = then.

When is then?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
SolonKR
Posts: 4,265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:28:13 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:26:17 AM, lannan13 wrote:
When is then?

At a time before now.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Believer in the heart of the cards.

" . . . most people can't see the cherries for the trees" - Mixed metaphors are bae
lannan13
Posts: 23,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:28:36 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:28:13 AM, SolonKR wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:26:17 AM, lannan13 wrote:
When is then?

At a time before now.

Before now, but after then?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
SolonKR
Posts: 4,265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:29:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:28:36 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:28:13 AM, SolonKR wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:26:17 AM, lannan13 wrote:
When is then?

At a time before now.

Before now, but after then?

No, then is then. Both then and then are before now.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Believer in the heart of the cards.

" . . . most people can't see the cherries for the trees" - Mixed metaphors are bae
lannan13
Posts: 23,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:30:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:29:27 AM, SolonKR wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:28:36 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:28:13 AM, SolonKR wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:26:17 AM, lannan13 wrote:
When is then?

At a time before now.

Before now, but after then?

No, then is then. Both then and then are before now.

Well this is now, but when is then?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
SolonKR
Posts: 4,265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:30:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:30:32 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Well this is now, but when is then?

Earlier.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Believer in the heart of the cards.

" . . . most people can't see the cherries for the trees" - Mixed metaphors are bae
lannan13
Posts: 23,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:31:35 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:30:54 AM, SolonKR wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:30:32 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Well this is now, but when is then?

Earlier.

Later than earlier, but before now.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
SolonKR
Posts: 4,265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:32:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:31:35 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Later than earlier, but before now.

No, just earlier.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Believer in the heart of the cards.

" . . . most people can't see the cherries for the trees" - Mixed metaphors are bae
lannan13
Posts: 23,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:34:38 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:32:19 AM, SolonKR wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:31:35 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Later than earlier, but before now.

No, just earlier.

Earlier before now.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
SolonKR
Posts: 4,265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:35:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:34:38 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Earlier before now.

Yes.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Believer in the heart of the cards.

" . . . most people can't see the cherries for the trees" - Mixed metaphors are bae
lannan13
Posts: 23,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:36:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:35:23 AM, SolonKR wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:34:38 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Earlier before now.

Yes.

But when is then?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
imabench
Posts: 21,664
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:36:33 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Is this that scene from spaceballs?
Latest person trolled to death by Imabench: http://www.debate.org...

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
SolonKR
Posts: 4,265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:38:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:36:33 AM, imabench wrote:
Is this that scene from spaceballs?

https://www.youtube.com...
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Believer in the heart of the cards.

" . . . most people can't see the cherries for the trees" - Mixed metaphors are bae
lannan13
Posts: 23,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:38:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:36:33 AM, imabench wrote:
Is this that scene from spaceballs?

Could we just fastforward it to then to find out about it now?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
SolonKR
Posts: 4,265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:41:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Since no one has actually read the OP (solitary tear slides down my cheek), I'll put a tl;dr:

If you want to make DDO great again, stop worrying about flame wars and drama (to the best of your abilities), and start focusing on what actually matters on this site--serious discussion and debate about real issues.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Believer in the heart of the cards.

" . . . most people can't see the cherries for the trees" - Mixed metaphors are bae
lannan13
Posts: 23,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:42:02 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:40:05 AM, Rosalie wrote:
So...when is again?

But when is now?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
Rosalie
Posts: 4,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:43:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:42:02 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:40:05 AM, Rosalie wrote:
So...when is again?

But when is now?

Well, now is now. It's not earlier, nor future.
Omg. Just shut up. -Me
lannan13
Posts: 23,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:45:09 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:43:50 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:42:02 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:40:05 AM, Rosalie wrote:
So...when is again?

But when is now?

Well, now is now. It's not earlier, nor future.

But that was then, this is now.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
Rosalie
Posts: 4,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:50:12 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:45:09 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:43:50 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:42:02 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:40:05 AM, Rosalie wrote:
So...when is again?

But when is now?

Well, now is now. It's not earlier, nor future.

But that was then, this is now.

Yes...and that is now.
Omg. Just shut up. -Me
lannan13
Posts: 23,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:50:50 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:50:12 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:45:09 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:43:50 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:42:02 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 3/19/2016 5:40:05 AM, Rosalie wrote:
So...when is again?

But when is now?

Well, now is now. It's not earlier, nor future.

But that was then, this is now.

Yes...and that is now.

This is now, that was then.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 5:54:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 3/19/2016 5:02:03 AM, SolonKR wrote:
No, I'm not running for president. In spite of the silly title, this is a serious topic.

We talk a lot about what to do about the site. We talk about how to solve inactivity. We talk about how to get good voters. We talk about Juggle. We talk about all of these things that we think will bring the site back to the intellectual rigor and it once had. Now, talking about all of those things is important. However, too often, we don't do anything ourselves to solve the problems, and we can--it really is as easy as just stepping up.

There are, as of my last count, 324 posts in total about the presidential election. There will likely be literally thousands more over the next few months. All of the people who have made posts in these threads are genuinely concerned with improving the site, so I ask you all, as I have recently asked myself, this:

Can you imagine if the time and emotional energy invested in this were spent on other parts of the site? We all want activity. Let's say that an average of two minutes (an underestimate, I believe, but it is sufficient for this demonstration) was spent on each post. That's over 10 hours of time. That's enough for 20 great RFDs, or 10 excellent new forum topics. Obviously, time isn't divisible like that, but in the long run, individual users will spend that amount of time worrying about the site or more by the time this election rolls around.

So, this is my plea. If you want to make DDO great again, stop worrying about flame wars and drama (to the best of your abilities), and start focusing on what actually matters on this site--serious discussion and debate about real issues. That's not to say that a good trolling once in a while isn't fun, but it is to say that fixing the site starts and ends with the community prioritizing serious discussions above everything else.

I just cast a vote with a detailed RFD for the first time in months. Maybe it was a garbage vote, but I at least have recognized that I need to make the effort to fix DDO. The same goes for all of you. Make a forum topic. Cast a vote. Try starting a new forum game. Engage in a discussion. Do something. It's the responsibility of everyone who cares about the site to do this.

Good point.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
SolonKR
Posts: 4,265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2016 8:27:34 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Bump.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Believer in the heart of the cards.

" . . . most people can't see the cherries for the trees" - Mixed metaphors are bae