Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

Why do people say "pm me" in the forums?

Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 1:21:30 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Why not just pm someone if you want to tell them something or ask something? Why ask them to pm you?

I see it all the time but I don't understand it. It's this weird, unnecessary extra step. like bladeoftruth sending out whiteflame's pms for him. Why? It's as much work for whiteflame to send the pm to bladeiftruth as it is for him to send to the person being votewhipped.

In real life you might say text me because you're too lazy to get your phone out. But that doesn't apply here.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 2:38:06 PM
(1) "PM me" gives that person a choice if they want to respond. If the person is unwilling to communicate with someone via private message, there's no need to do so.

(2) I think there's a PM between all the vote moderators already. Furthermore, when Blade-of-Truth PM's a person about it, he often has a discussion with that person regarding it, et cetera.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
DarthKirones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 2:39:09 PM
At 3/20/2016 1:21:30 PM, Hoppi wrote:
Why not just pm someone if you want to tell them something or ask something? Why ask them to pm you?

I see it all the time but I don't understand it. It's this weird, unnecessary extra step. like bladeoftruth sending out whiteflame's pms for him. Why? It's as much work for whiteflame to send the pm to bladeiftruth as it is for him to send to the person being votewhipped.

In real life you might say text me because you're too lazy to get your phone out. But that doesn't apply here.

I would assume that it is because thy want to have a private conversation, without people on the forums being able to see.
"I am not religious. I am a genius. I have the Universe in my hands."
-Aerogant

"Of course a jewish baby cannibalizing a jewish mommy is fine"
-Heil being retarded

"Eradicating the baby scourge from our midsts is most certainly fun. And I am proud to be your hero. Babies tremble then they hear my name.. Airmax, the hero of baby annihilation."
-Airmax
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 2:46:03 PM
At 3/20/2016 2:38:06 PM, tejretics wrote:
(1) "PM me" gives that person a choice if they want to respond. If the person is unwilling to communicate with someone via private message, there's no need to do so.

But if you pm someone, or put a friend request with a message, they can still choose to respond or not.

(2) I think there's a PM between all the vote moderators already. Furthermore, when Blade-of-Truth PM's a person about it, he often has a discussion with that person regarding it, et cetera.

That makes sense.
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 2:47:20 PM
At 3/20/2016 2:39:09 PM, DarthKirones wrote:

I would assume that it is because thy want to have a private conversation, without people on the forums being able to see.

Yeah, but why announce it publicly? Why not just pm the person?
DarthKirones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 2:55:19 PM
At 3/20/2016 2:47:20 PM, Hoppi wrote:
At 3/20/2016 2:39:09 PM, DarthKirones wrote:

Yeah, but why announce it publicly? Why not just pm the person?

Agreed.
"I am not religious. I am a genius. I have the Universe in my hands."
-Aerogant

"Of course a jewish baby cannibalizing a jewish mommy is fine"
-Heil being retarded

"Eradicating the baby scourge from our midsts is most certainly fun. And I am proud to be your hero. Babies tremble then they hear my name.. Airmax, the hero of baby annihilation."
-Airmax
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 3:11:28 PM
Probably because they want someone to PM them.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 3:14:58 PM
At 3/20/2016 3:11:28 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Pm me.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 3:16:29 PM
At 3/20/2016 3:14:58 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Pm me.

No.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 3:17:39 PM
At 3/20/2016 3:16:29 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 3/20/2016 3:14:58 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Pm me.

No.

.... :(
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 3:24:59 PM
Speaking personally, sometimes I'll not notice, or take awhile to respond to PM's. So operating under the assumption that others might have the same thing happen, i'll quote them in a thread and mention pm'ing me.

Or it's used as a reminder to have someone PM me when they said they would with something but forgot to.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 3:46:20 PM
Oh and also, as I was reminded

https://youtu.be...

It goes down in the DM's

saw her post a BM
so I hit her up in the DM's
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
CodingSource
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 3:51:58 PM

Because it is their will, period. That is one practical answer.
If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

I have a 10-0-0 debate record with an ELO ranking of 2,814. From 610th during my first two-week stay, I am now 326th in the Debates Leaderboard: http://www.debate.org...