Jump to topic:

Vote moderation policy change

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 7:40:59 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
An issue has been raised about awarding a single conduct point for debates with forfeited rounds. A lot of discussion has occurred and I would like to move forward with this in a way that best gauges where concerned members stand on this.

The only way suggested to combat this, is to adopt a policy that forces a member to also award and explain Argument points if they are going award conduct (or any points).

If you agree with this change of policy please post a "Yay" in this thread.

If you believe that voters should be able to only award conduct when a forfeit occurs, please post "Nay" in this thread.
Debate.org Moderator
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 7:44:37 PM
Cool. I like the idea of a simple up/down vote like this to address an emergent issue. Very responsive.

I think I'll read over some of the things posted in the recent threads before voting.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 7:46:26 PM
Yay and Nay. If it is like forfeit, extend, nay. If they tried hard, and forfeited one round, and wrote everything else, yay.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 7:47:08 PM
nay: http://www.debate.org...

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 7:47:28 PM
yay: http://www.debate.org...

Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 7:51:25 PM
At 3/20/2016 7:40:59 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
An issue has been raised about awarding a single conduct point for debates with forfeited rounds. A lot of discussion has occurred and I would like to move forward with this in a way that best gauges where concerned members stand on this.

The only way suggested to combat this, is to adopt a policy that forces a member to also award and explain Argument points if they are going award conduct (or any points).

If you believe that voters should be able to only award conduct when a forfeit occurs, please post "Nay" in this thread.

I need clarification for what constitutes a yay or nay. I don't get what exactly you mean.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 7:52:54 PM
The problem with this is if I say nay, then what is currently happening will continue. If I say yay, then rounds where someone actually did just sit there, say "I accept", and then extend until the debate ended, then you'd have to vote for FF (this would be a justified ff vote), plus another.

But I feel like saying yay would be the better choice. I can't vote anyway, but whatever XP
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 7:55:07 PM
At 3/20/2016 7:51:25 PM, Emmarie wrote:

I need clarification for what constitutes a yay or nay. I don't get what exactly you mean.

This policy is intended to address the awarding of "conduct only" votes on forfeited debates.

The issue is that simply giving someone conduct for their opponent forfeiting does not address the rest of the debate. This policy would force someone to award and explain Argument points as a prerequisite to awarding all other point categories.

So, if you are in favor of having voters award argument points as a prerequisite to awarding any other points, vote YAY.

If you believe someone should be able to vote ONLY conduct points because of a forfeit or multiple forfeits, vote NAY.
Debate.org Moderator
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 7:56:27 PM
I think that if there is only one forfeit in 4 or 5 rounds of debate, it would be wrong just to award the conduct without addressing arguments. But, if there are multiple forfeits, or if there is a forfeit in a shorter debate, then awarding the conduct point is fine.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 7:57:41 PM
At 3/20/2016 7:52:54 PM, Vaarka wrote:
The problem with this is if I say nay, then what is currently happening will continue. If I say yay, then rounds where someone actually did just sit there, say "I accept", and then extend until the debate ended, then you'd have to vote for FF (this would be a justified ff vote), plus another.

No other options have been suggested, and this is the only solution to this that I can think of. To prevent conduct-only votes we have to insist on Argument points being a prerequisite. It's the only policy that makes sense and I haven't seen anything else suggested to this point.

But I feel like saying yay would be the better choice. I can't vote anyway, but whatever XP

You can certainly vote on this though. Even if you can't vote on debates currently, your opinion as a member is valued and required. So please vote.
Debate.org Moderator
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 7:57:55 PM
At 3/20/2016 7:55:07 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 3/20/2016 7:51:25 PM, Emmarie wrote:

This policy is intended to address the awarding of "conduct only" votes on forfeited debates.

The issue is that simply giving someone conduct for their opponent forfeiting does not address the rest of the debate. This policy would force someone to award and explain Argument points as a prerequisite to awarding all other point categories.

So, if you are in favor of having voters award argument points as a prerequisite to awarding any other points, vote YAY.

If you believe someone should be able to vote ONLY conduct points because of a forfeit or multiple forfeits, vote NAY.

ok yay
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 8:00:11 PM

Ive voted on debates where both sides were either equally great or equally sh*tty that no side could truly win argument points. Would this rule make that illegal, or does this apply only to debates that have been partially or fully forfeited, rather then apply to all debeates? Just to be clear

I also think full-forfeit debates should be allowed to be voted on 4-0 against the forfeiter for conduct and argument points, so I dont really like this option either.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 8:00:45 PM

I agree with this... There is no good option.
Tsar of DDO
Briannj17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 8:00:56 PM

I say nay.

The requirements on RFD for arguments is strict and this is the main reason people vote on conduct or spelling and grammer. If the policy was in place it would decrease voting even more. It will continue anyways because all the voters could say is "They made equal arguments" and add a little finesse and they would still vote on conduct or spelling and grammar anyway. So nay.
King of Poetry in this poem lacking era
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 8:02:01 PM
At 3/20/2016 7:56:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I think that if there is only one forfeit in 4 or 5 rounds of debate, it would be wrong just to award the conduct without addressing arguments. But, if there are multiple forfeits, or if there is a forfeit in a shorter debate, then awarding the conduct point is fine.

I personally agree and that was an issue that I brought up, but I don't see how that changes much ultimately. If someone forfeits nearly all rounds, it makes awarding argument points and explaining them that much more necessary and easy. So ultimately this is a catch-all policy and based on all of the discussions that have occurred on this to this point. The only exception is full-forfeited debates (FF'd all rounds aside from the first), and we don't moderate those anyway, so people can votebomb those all they like
Debate.org Moderator
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 8:02:15 PM
At 3/20/2016 7:57:41 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

No other options have been suggested, and this is the only solution to this that I can think of. To prevent conduct-only votes we have to insist on Argument points being a prerequisite. It's the only policy that makes sense and I haven't seen anything else suggested to this point.
I know it may sound strange, and I don't know if it's even possible, but what if we removed the "tied" buttons, or maybe added text boxes onto each of the 7 points where you give a short reason for why you're voting that person for it. I know you already do that at the bottom of RFV, but if there was instead one RFV for each one, then you'd have to give a reason, which would mean you'd have to actually read it in order to put something.
I feel like this would at least help narrow down the votes that need deleting vs votes that are legit. Just an idea I'm throwing out there for now.

You can certainly vote on this though. Even if you can't vote on debates currently, your opinion as a member is valued and required. So please vote.
I have yet to decide XP
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 8:03:43 PM
At 3/20/2016 8:00:56 PM, Briannj17 wrote:

I say nay.

The requirements on RFD for arguments is strict and this is the main reason people vote on conduct or spelling and grammer. If the policy was in place it would decrease voting even more. It will continue anyways because all the voters could say is "They made equal arguments" and add a little finesse and they would still vote on conduct or spelling and grammar anyway. So nay.

My suggestion would also lead to a similar problem

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 8:04:16 PM
At 3/20/2016 8:02:01 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I personally agree and that was an issue that I brought up, but I don't see how that changes much ultimately. If someone forfeits nearly all rounds, it makes awarding argument points and explaining them that much more necessary and easy. So ultimately this is a catch-all policy and based on all of the discussions that have occurred on this to this point. The only exception is full-forfeited debates (FF'd all rounds aside from the first), and we don't moderate those anyway, so people can votebomb those all they like

Eh, for the catch-all, I am going to say nay. I understand that it may have certain benefits, but I would rather tailor the policy more narrowly. As Tej likes to say, voting is for the debaters--and not just for the one who didn't forfeit.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 8:05:11 PM
When a debater forfeits multiple times, I am less sympathetic. I think, in forfeit situations, we should recognize that sometimes giving args is necessary, sometimes it's not.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 8:07:25 PM
At 3/20/2016 8:00:11 PM, imabench wrote:

Ive voted on debates where both sides were either equally great or equally sh*tty that no side could truly win argument points. Would this rule make that illegal, or does this apply only to debates that have been partially or fully forfeited, rather then apply to all debeates? Just to be clear

It would apply to all debates. This policy, in order to combat conduct-only votes for a forfeit, requires that argument points be awarded as a prerequisite to awarding all other points.

I also think full-forfeit debates should be allowed to be voted on 4-0 against the forfeiter for conduct and argument points, so I dont really like this option either.

Full-forfeited debates are the exception. We don't moderate those at all (aside from if the voter votes for the wrong side).
Debate.org Moderator
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 8:08:46 PM
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 8:08:48 PM
At 3/20/2016 8:05:11 PM, bsh1 wrote:
When a debater forfeits multiple times, I am less sympathetic. I think, in forfeit situations, we should recognize that sometimes giving args is necessary, sometimes it's not.

I believe that is entirely valid.
Debate.org Moderator
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 8:10:01 PM
At 3/20/2016 8:07:25 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 3/20/2016 8:00:11 PM, imabench wrote:

Ive voted on debates where both sides were either equally great or equally sh*tty that no side could truly win argument points. Would this rule make that illegal, or does this apply only to debates that have been partially or fully forfeited, rather then apply to all debates? Just to be clear

It would apply to all debates.

VOTE NAY
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 8:11:50 PM
At 3/20/2016 8:00:45 PM, YYW wrote:

I agree with this... There is no good option.

I happen to agree, but this is the only practical policy change that has been suggested to this point, so at the demand of TUF I am taking his cause to the logical next level and directly finding a way to implement his agenda - assuming that there is enough actual support for it.

Do you feel that there is a better policy change that could fix the issue TUF has described with conduct-only votes on forfeited debates?
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 8:15:10 PM
At 3/20/2016 8:02:15 PM, Vaarka wrote:

I know it may sound strange, and I don't know if it's even possible, but what if we removed the "tied" buttons, or maybe added text boxes onto each of the 7 points where you give a short reason for why you're voting that person for it. I know you already do that at the bottom of RFV, but if there was instead one RFV for each one, then you'd have to give a reason, which would mean you'd have to actually read it in order to put something.
I feel like this would at least help narrow down the votes that need deleting vs votes that are legit. Just an idea I'm throwing out there for now.

If coding changes to the site weren't an obstacle most of this wouldn't even be necessary. I appreciate your suggestion, and believe me this idea and many like it have been on the idea list for years, it is outside of the scope of this discussion.
Debate.org Moderator
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 8:18:29 PM
At 3/20/2016 8:15:10 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 3/20/2016 8:02:15 PM, Vaarka wrote:

If coding changes to the site weren't an obstacle most of this wouldn't even be necessary. I appreciate your suggestion, and believe me this idea and many like it have been on the idea list for years, it is outside of the scope of this discussion.

Yeah...
We just need someone on DDO to go work for juggle and get to the point where he can occasionally go in and fix stuff during his lunch break or something.

tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2016 8:30:03 PM

Nay.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k