//**** Announcement: DK/TUF ****\\

donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 7:37:53 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
//**** The OFFICIAL Announcement of the DK/TUF Ticket ****\\

I am going to (in the near future) run for DDO President, with TUF as my VP.

There was an agreement between me and Imabench to not post our run until at least a month before the election, and no earlier. However, Wylted's run for presidency has gotten in the way of that. It appears now that waiting will only cause our ticket harm... Therefore, we are posting our run.

We are going to post a general Platform and Presidential Philosophy here, and then keep all/most discussion in a Ticket AMA (tl:dr included) until the election... We will not be active until then, as it is too early to be doing this, and under normal circumstances, we wouldn't be.

\\=====****=== PHILOSOPHY ===****=====//

The Philosophy of this ticket is simple... We aim to produce a Presidency that encourages the site to be better at what it does, and to do more of what it does, as opposed to being a presidency that attempts to take over those things and do them ourselves. Consider that once, when Airmax and TUF were presidents, they countered a lack of voting via competitions and educational programs. Now, a president would aim to create a sub-committee to go out and vote themselves... Lack of OP threads? Form a committee to make more, instead of encouraging the community to want to do it... Etc...

Our philosophy is that the President should help the site do something better, instead of setting up an administration to do that something in place of the site, or post new regulations on that something. When we set up administrations to do what the site community should be doing, we choke out the voluntary work that made the site stronger, and we end up imposing rules and restrictions, such as concepts like "official" and "unofficial." Take tournaments... Attempts were made to oppress 'unofficial' tournaments... But a President should never attempt to destroy something because it's not administration-approved. We hope to undo a number of restrictions/regulations we feel hurt the ability of the site to perform at it's best.

I agree with YYW that the Presidency should be restored to what it was long ago... Which was a force to encourage what the site was doing, instead of regulating what the site should be doing.

//=====****=== OUR PLATFORM ===****=====\\

We are working on a number of smaller points, but these four are our main positions.

POINT 1 -- Voting Reform.

For over a week now, me and TUF have pushed for a voting reform on FF debates. After all of that work, it's likely to get passed with a massive majority... That effort wasn't a one-time concern of ours. Voting is a major concern of this ticket. TUF of both been hugely involved in voting on this site, even investing our money into it. We have several ideas for ensuring most debates don't go unvoted, including a special Forum Thread concept. Our platform is not about adding new rules to voting, and in fact, we hope to host reforms to make it simpler for members.

POINT 2 -- Contacting Juggle.

While it may seem Wylted came up with this idea first, he actually only posted it first. I have been considering this for over a year now... Wylted lives far from Juggle, and going there may well require days off from work, hundreds of dollars, and a lot of justifying per trip. I, however, live an hour away from Juggle. Although visiting them is on the list, we must think realistically. Me and TUF have already begin writing letters to Juggle based on ideas to turn a larger profit. If Juggle isn't making a profit, Juggle isn't going to care. We hope to fix the problem behind their neglect.

POINT 3 -- Sparking the Social Side of DDO.

I intend to use the DDO Facebook page (and a possible Twitter account) to reach out to older site members. I aim for a daily update on the Facebook page displaying new Debates, Threads, and forum Games for members to see. I am hoping on making the Facebook page a presidential responsibility. The role of president is perfect for this job. I also aim to restart the Varsity Program and Writer's Union. Neither are built to host games or fanfictions. They fall under our philosophy of helping the site be better at what it does by training new community members on how to host different games and write fanfictions. We are also going to train members on new games, in order to bring fresh concepts to the gaming community here.

Sub-Point 1 -- Elective Administration.

An Administration built around electing members every time a topic comes up. If a debate over whether or not X needs reformed, for example, comes up, we will take in the leading members from both sides for the Administration. They will then have a thread made for their issue, which features all members of the Administration to spectate and comment on. When an issue is seen as fully or mostly solved, the members will likely be let go.

This produces an Administration built around one of the President's most important functions... Solving user conflicts. It evolves as the site's issues evolve.

//=====****=== CONCLUSION ===****=====\\

This is the last major thread I'm posting about this. If you wish to know more, PM us or ask on the official AMA thread: http://www.debate.org... [tl:dr in AMA]
We are simply placing our ticket out there so we aren't put at a disadvantage when the elections start.

//=====****=== END ===****=====\\
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 7:43:16 AM
"Me and TUF have already begin writing letters to Juggle based on ideas to turn a larger profit."

In the last 3 months, I have sent Juggle 20 different emails to 4 different email addresses. I never received a reply. Why do you think they will be responsive to you?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 7:46:11 AM
At 3/23/2016 7:43:16 AM, bsh1 wrote:
"Me and TUF have already begin writing letters to Juggle based on ideas to turn a larger profit."

In the last 3 months, I have sent Juggle 20 different emails to 4 different email addresses. I never received a reply. Why do you think they will be responsive to you?

Who said anything about Emails?

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 7:49:07 AM
At 3/23/2016 7:46:11 AM, donald.keller wrote:
At 3/23/2016 7:43:16 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Who said anything about Emails?

I also wrote them 2 letters last administration; both went unanswered.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 7:53:29 AM
And finally we have a serious candidate.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 7:54:29 AM
At 3/23/2016 7:53:29 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

I'm relatively unimpressed by this.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 7:55:50 AM
At 3/23/2016 7:54:29 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I never said I supported it. If you're so unimpressed though, maybe you should run yourself.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 7:57:43 AM
At 3/23/2016 7:55:50 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

I never said I supported it. If you're so unimpressed though, maybe you should run yourself.

There's a very specific campaign point I want someone to run on, but nobody is apparently intelligent enough to see it. In fact, if nobody but me sees it, it'll probably be the end of the Presidency.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 7:57:44 AM

Lol thank you. Although Imabench's party seems fairly serious.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 7:59:28 AM
At 3/23/2016 7:57:43 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

There's a very specific campaign point I want someone to run on, but nobody is apparently intelligent enough to see it. In fact, if nobody but me sees it, it'll probably be the end of the Presidency.

I'd like to discuss whatever this point is between you, me, and TUF, if that'd be okay. I'm curious to know what you believe.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 8:00:19 AM
At 3/23/2016 7:59:28 AM, donald.keller wrote:

I'd like to discuss whatever this point is between you, me, and TUF, if that'd be okay. I'm curious to know what you believe.

I'm not interested.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 8:01:08 AM
At 3/23/2016 7:57:44 AM, donald.keller wrote:

The announced candidates may not be "joking", but I call them not serious because they're ridiculous options. We have the anarchic candidate and then we have Wylted (he would get extra points knocked off for the double VP, but luckily bsh dropped out), who had previously supported abolishing the presidency.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 8:03:10 AM
At 3/23/2016 8:01:08 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

The announced candidates may not be "joking", but I call them not serious because they're ridiculous options. We have the anarchic candidate and then we have Wylted (he would get extra points knocked off for the double VP, but luckily bsh dropped out), who had previously supported abolishing the presidency.
Wow, it's like you haven't read either of their platforms.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 8:04:51 AM
At 3/23/2016 8:03:10 AM, Torton wrote:

Knowing her, she probably hasn't.

And her comments right now are innapropriate, especially because she's a Mod.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 8:05:13 AM
At 3/23/2016 7:37:53 AM, donald.keller wrote:

There was an agreement between me and Imabench to not post our run until at least a month before the election, and no earlier. However, Wylted's run for presidency has gotten in the way of that. It appears now that waiting will only cause our ticket harm... Therefore, we are posting our run.

you and imabench discussed all this prior? He wants to abolish the presidency and you want to be president. Why were you even discussing anything?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 8:05:18 AM
1. Endark already hosts what is--in effect--a writers' union. How would this be unique to your administration in that case?

2. What are your efforts at voting reform going to entail?

3. You write: "If a debate over whether or not X needs reformed, for example, comes up, we will take in the leading members from both sides for the Administration. They will then have a thread made for their issue, which features all members of the Administration to spectate and comment on."

This sounds like a huge drama fest in the making. If anyone can comment, things are going to devolve very quickly on a lot of contentious site issues. It will be hard to keep people on topic, let alone to keep people civil. Look at other major threads on site issues, like YYW's thread on RO's, or my thread on tournament reform. You are essentially manufacturing opportunities for officially sanctioned drama and chaos.

How will you handle these problems? How will you justify the legitimacy of the office when someone says: "see! The Presidency creates drama!"

4. "Attempts were made to oppress 'unofficial' tournaments... But a President should never attempt to destroy something because it's not administration-approved."

DK, you were a part of those discussions. You are fully aware that I never attempted to suppress unofficial tournaments, and that the reason for creating distinctions was rather to promote official tournaments.

5. "Now, a president would aim to create a sub-committee to go out and vote themselves... Lack of OP threads? Form a committee to make more, instead of encouraging the community to want to do it... Etc.."

Then why do a net positive number of forum users feel like forum activity increased over the last 6 months? Why did you never once volunteer to participate in most of these committees yourself, in order to see whether they were effective, even though you had the opportunity? The only one you agreed to help with was award voting, which required the least involvement and which you do already via the VU.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 8:05:25 AM
At 3/23/2016 8:04:51 AM, Rosalie wrote:

Mods are allowed to support candidates and vote.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 8:06:57 AM
At 3/23/2016 8:05:25 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

That is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about her "finally a serious candidate" assuming she thinks the rest of the candidates are trolling when they're not, including Wylted and I.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 8:07:17 AM

I am fully aware of both platforms. Considering your position on who you're probably going to vote for, you're probably complaining about my summary of imabench's platform. So let me refraise it: Rousseau-esque participatory democracy.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 8:07:36 AM
At 3/23/2016 8:06:57 AM, Rosalie wrote:

That is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about her "finally a serious candidate" assuming she thinks the rest of the candidates are trolling when they're not, including Wylted and I.

She doesn't necessarily think they're trolling.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 8:09:55 AM
At 3/23/2016 8:07:36 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 3/23/2016 8:06:57 AM, Rosalie wrote:

She doesn't necessarily think they're trolling.

It's merely this "They aren't serious.....they muat be trolling"

She automatically thinks because we had bsh as a Co-Vp, we were trolling.

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 8:10:08 AM
*must

donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 8:25:09 AM
At 3/23/2016 8:05:13 AM, Hoppi wrote:

you and imabench discussed all this prior? He wants to abolish the presidency and you want to be president. Why were you even discussing anything?

It was long prior. I asked him about making videos for me, and he revealed he couldn't because he, also, was running. We decided to make an agreement to not announce too early.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 8:40:24 AM
At 3/23/2016 8:05:18 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Replied in the AMA.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 8:50:17 AM
At 3/23/2016 8:00:19 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I'm not interested.

Than that's your choice. But it's one that'll only hurt the point you want.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 11:02:36 AM
Are you going to continue the programs that Bsh has set up? Like the mentorship program, opt in voting, etc.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 12:37:34 PM

I'm not interested.

So in other words, there was no positive reason for you to post at all.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 12:46:48 PM
At 3/23/2016 12:37:34 PM, TUF wrote:

I'm not interested.

So in other words, there was no positive reason for you to post at all.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh xD
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 12:48:58 PM

Sounds good. :)
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
dsjpk5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2016 12:49:43 PM

POINT 1 -- Voting Reform.

For over a week now, me and TUF have pushed for a voting reform on FF debates. After all of that work, it's likely to get passed with a massive majority... That effort wasn't a one-time concern of ours. Voting is a major concern of this ticket. TUF of both been hugely involved in voting on this site, even investing our money into it. We have several ideas for ensuring most debates don't go unvoted, including a special Forum Thread concept. Our platform is not about adding new rules to voting, and in fact, we hope to host reforms to make it simpler for members.

Where's my credit for inspiring this quote reform unquote?

Sincerely,

Dick5
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax