Jump to topic:

What's the point of a DDO President?

U.n
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 3:38:15 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
I see all this hype around the DDO President. People are still talking about the last election. Meanwhile others are bidding for the next term.

But what's the point? Why is the DDO Predidency so coveted?

From what I can assess the President makes forum posts and talks to moderators. Can not we all make forum posts and talk to the moderators? I mean.:. I just made this forum post and I didn't need to win an election to do so.

What exactly am I missing here?
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 4:04:36 PM
At 3/24/2016 3:38:15 PM, U.n wrote:
I see all this hype around the DDO President. People are still talking about the last election. Meanwhile others are bidding for the next term.

From what I can assess the President makes forum posts and talks to moderators. Can not we all make forum posts and talk to the moderators? I mean.:. I just made this forum post and I didn't need to win an election to do so.

The classic desire for political power, manifested in a struggle of popularity for a few specific groups, trying to gain the respect of those they are popular with while pandering to those they are not, all for the desire to enforce classic or liberal values based on their experiences with the site.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 5:32:21 PM

The Presidency hosts a kind of implied power that Bsh's administration shows... His administration has around 15 members doing nearly 10 different progams and projects, excluding discontinued programs over the course of 6 months... Only the President as the implied power and implied responsibility needed to pull that off. Try pulling that same thing off without being president...

The president only helps Airmax by organizing user complaints and working with member over conflicts, so they don't become a much bigger mess by the time Airmax can tactic it. If there is a concern over Moderation, the president would help work with the members, or else the issue could get further out of hand.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 6:23:09 PM

it has no point
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 6:32:04 PM

The purpose is to create business for the popcorn industry.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 7:28:38 PM

The Presidency what it is now is actually far different from what it was before. Bac when Juggle, the company who owns the site, routinely updated the site and added new features to it every so often, the presidency was very coveted since the president worked directly with Juggle to try to make DDO better. It was no job that any idiot could do, which to people who thought they could do the job, made the presidency look extremely valuable.

However, now that Juggle has almost no interest in the site, the role of the presidency has fallen tremendously. 2 of the past 3 elected presidents ended up leaving the job primarily because they felt the presidency was worthless and that couldnt be used to fix any issues on the site, and the 3rd president almost lost re-election to a complete tool, which would be unthinkable to have happened in presidential elections before..... Its due to how pointless the presidency has become compared to what it used to be that many people think the whole thing can be done away with.

Summary: The position actually did used to mean something, which is why people go crazy over it.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 9:07:25 PM
"What's the point of a DDO President?"

To create drama between a few regular users.
every 6 months or so.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 9:19:47 PM

Good on your cv. Helps you claim you're an intellectual, engaged, modern, community builder, capable of marketing ideas and building consensus among a diverse user base etc. You could mention ddo's daily hit rate, which is probably high...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 10:00:15 PM

In the DDO's FAQ's section, under "What does the site president do?" section, it states:

The Debate.org President acts as a liaison between the members of the community and Juggle, the company that owns the site. They advocate for the interests of the membership and express what updates the community is generally most interested in. They will also help with anything a member is having problems with and try to resolve any issues that members may have.

Seeing as communication with Juggle has stopped, it is now used mostly as position of service. Many users feel the presidency is pointless (and in a way they have a point), but there could be benefits from having a president as much as there are downfalls. At the very least, site presidents shouldn't stop persisting in their efforts to contact Juggle and communicate site issues, as that was the primary reason the role was created.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 10:08:15 PM

Its a community organizer
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2016 11:59:18 PM

A figure head that represents the community and tries to improve it in the ways they believe will help the site as a whole.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2016 12:24:23 AM

But what's the point?

The only honest answer to this question is this: The point of the presidency is whatever any president makes of it. I've seen excellent presidents, and terrible ones. I've opposed good presidents because I misjudged their abilities (TUF is the person I most unreasonably underestimated, whereas Mikal was the president I most overestimated... I must have been on drugs when I supported his bid).

Some presidents act as community cheer leaders, others try to develop cool stuff for the site, while others yet micromanage the life out of the site and whine when things don't go their way and people don't like them. Some do it out of a sense of obligation. Others do it for sh!ts and giggles. It really just depends.

Why is the DDO Predidency so coveted?

It is not coveted, generally, except by those who want it, and few do; especially now.
Tsar of DDO
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2016 1:07:22 AM
At 3/24/2016 9:07:25 PM, sadolite wrote:
"What's the point of a DDO President?"

To create drama between a few regular users.
every 6 months or so.

^ lol
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2016 1:24:29 AM

There's no point to the presidency; the DDO President is about as useful as decaffeinated coffee.
TheFlex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2016 2:19:49 PM
At 3/24/2016 6:32:04 PM, SamStevens wrote:

The purpose is to create business for the popcorn industry.

Best post in this thread.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2016 3:29:27 PM

The DDO president executes the will of the DDO Congress (usually referred to as the DDO Elite) an has power to dispose of the discretionary budget. The DDO president also has the power to implement fiscal and social policy that the DDO Elite are unable to do without exposing their identity. The DDO Elite are a shadow organization- it's an invite only group.

The DDO president is ultimately accountable to the DDO supreme justices, or the mods, which are not elected officials but are instead given lifetime appointments.
U.n
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2016 5:12:36 PM
At 3/25/2016 3:29:27 PM, Raisor wrote:

The DDO president executes the will of the DDO Congress (usually referred to as the DDO Elite) an has power to dispose of the discretionary budget. The DDO president also has the power to implement fiscal and social policy that the DDO Elite are unable to do without exposing their identity. The DDO Elite are a shadow organization- it's an invite only group.

The DDO president is ultimately accountable to the DDO supreme justices, or the mods, which are not elected officials but are instead given lifetime appointments.

WLII > DDO Elite