Jump to topic:

DDO Conventions - A Walkthrough

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 3:50:08 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Long story short, Me and DK have agreed to not post any new presidency threads for the entire month of April since the election is still 3 months away yatta yatta yatta but because I might not be on DDO tomorrow, today is the last day I have to post something, and I actually have something worthy of posting.

Airmax and I have hammered out a rough outline of the rules of how DDO Conventions would work if I got elected. Now, when I say that Airmax and I have worked on this thing, it DOES NOT MEAN HE IS ENDORSING ME. It just means that he is willing to work with me if I got elected to implement my platform.

The following list is a list of rules for how DDO Conventions would be conducted/implemented/enforced, how proposals are hammered out and voted on, etc that Airmax and I have agreed upon. Some of these could be written out at a later date, and other rules could be added as well. This is only what Airmax and I have agreed upon so far.

1) Airmax holds the authority to make the DDO Convention threads

Airmax is the one who makes the official election threads, so it only makes sense that he retains the ability to make the Official DDO Convention threads. They will replace DDO Election threads for the presidency, Convention threads will replace election threads in that they will take place once every 6 months, and Airmax reserves the right to make the threads himself or let someone else make the threads if he chooses.

2) DDO Convention Proposal threads, or DDOCP's

Prior to Airmax making the official Convention thread where everyone votes yes/no on proposed changes, members who have ideas they want to propose will make threads where they propose the change they want to be voted on....... These threads, which would be titled "DDO:CP _______________", where the blank space is the idea being proposed, will be where members themselves hammer out the details for proposed changes to the site.... When the Convention itself is scheduled to start, the Convention thread will simply link to DDO Convention Proposal threads (the DDO:CP's) for each proposal to be voted on, so that Airmax wont have to copy/paste all the details of all the proposals into the original Convention post.....

3) Proposals need 60% voter approval to be passed

In the recent vote about moderating votes on partially forfeited debates, the final tally was around 25 yes's and 15 no's, which comes out to a smidge over 60% of the total vote being in favor of the change. http://www.debate.org... ..... The threshold for enacting proposals at DDO Conventions will be put at 60% as well, rather then have it be a simple majority of >50%, where theoretically a popular member could use his influence over noobs to ram a proposed change into law, (pulling a Mikal for example). Setting the bar at 60% for approval would prevent mikal-scenario's from happening, and at the same time it makes sense to draw the line at 60-40, since the previous vote to change a policy on DDO by popular vote passed at just be above the 60% mark.

A proposal can be made in a Convention to change this threshold from 60% to something else, but such a proposal would still need the original 60% approval rate to be approved.

4) Airmax retains the right to veto proposals off of the Convention thread by not including them in the thread itself

If an idea is proposed in a thread that directly addresses how Airmax conducts his job as moderator, or is something that simply cannot be implemented, then Airmax will reserve the right to leave out the proposals from the official Convention thread once he makes the thread..... If some noob proposes merging forums together, which isn't something anyone can actually do, then Airmax reserves the right to save everyone some time and simply not include the proposal in the final thread...... When it comes to actual moderation itself (not including vote moderation), Airmax retains the right to nullify the proposal. This is essentially Airmax's veto power in the new system. Proposals to alter moderation are not flat out banned, Airmax simply retains the ability to veto such proposals. Airmax is also allowed to briefly explain why he omitted certain proposals from being voted on if he chooses to, but it is not necessarily required.

5) Requirements to create a proposal and vote on them

We currently have requirements to be eligible to vote in presidential elections, but there will NOT be any initial requirements members would need to be able to vote in Conventions. This is entirely because I see no critical need for there to be requirements to be able to vote on individual proposals.

If members of DDO would prefer there be requirements to vote anyways, then any member is welcome to make a Convention proposal to implement such requirements in the Convention system

6) Members are limited to making 2 proposals for the convention

I cant tell you how many times I have tried to do multiple projects at the same time where only one of them turned out moderately well. With a cap limit of how many proposals a person can make, it makes users prioritize which issues with they believe the site needs to address the most, it makes such proposals by members better since they can sink more time and thought into crafting a proposal rather then pitching multiple ideas at once, and im sure that a small ballot of proposals to look through when the Convention is held would also be better for people than one that lists a dozen proposals or more.

A convention proposal can be made to raise the limit to 3, or even lower it down to 1.

========================================================================

This next one will probably be the most controversial aspect of the entire Convention system so really buckle up before you read it, because its quite a doozy. Keep in mind though that me and Airmax have agreed on this.

========================================================================

7) Proposals to ban certain members

Proposals to ban certain members off of the site WILL BE LEGAL in Conventions, assuming that there actually are a number of legitimate reasons that can be listed as evidence for banning a person off the site. However, Airmax reserves the right to refuse votes on banning members...... Airmax's veto power he holds on proposals that would directly effect how he does his job is a power he also holds on proposals to ban certain members........ Airmax holds this power entirely to prevent abuse of the system that people would exploit to try to ban someone that people simply dont like. For example, if I make a convention proposal to ban Brontoraptor off the site on the grounds that he's a f*cking idiot, and more than 60% of other people agree that he should be banned because they also think Bronto is a complete idiot, then Airmax holds the right to veto such a proposal, since naturally, being a complete idiot isnt an offense that is ban-worthy..... Members will not be able to simply gang up on disliked people of DDO and try to drive them off the site via a popular vote, unless Airmax explicitly decides to allow such a vote to happen, which if I know Airmax like I think I know Airmax, would only happen in extremely rare circumstances.

Proposals to ban members include Perm-bans, Temp-bans and even Forum-bans. Airmax retains the right to veto proposals of any type of ban against a member, but such proposals are not necessarily outlawed.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 3:53:54 PM
Wait, you're actually serious?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 3:56:08 PM
At 3/30/2016 3:53:54 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

-_______________-
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 3:58:01 PM
At 3/30/2016 3:56:08 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/30/2016 3:53:54 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

-_______________-

Whale whale whale.

Jk, I knew you were serious ;)
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 4:00:24 PM
At 3/30/2016 3:50:08 PM, imabench wrote:

My only question about this... how can we ensure these "democratic" bans don't become a popularity (or unpopularity) contest?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 4:02:43 PM
At 3/30/2016 4:00:24 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

My only question about this... how can we ensure these "democratic" bans don't become a popularity (or unpopularity) contest?

Airmax holds the right to veto any proposal to ban a member. Proposed member bans wont be able to be voted on unless Airmax explicitly allows such votes, which I think we all alreayd know would only happen in exceptionally rare circumstances.

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 4:02:47 PM

+1
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 4:04:52 PM
At 3/30/2016 4:02:43 PM, imabench wrote:

Airmax holds the right to veto any proposal to ban a member. Proposed member bans wont be able to be voted on unless Airmax explicitly allows such votes, which I think we all alreayd know would only happen in exceptionally rare circumstances.

That's fair. I feel that Airmax is trustworthy, and capable of being impartial.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 4:07:18 PM

I like it.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 4:08:30 PM

Could you give some examples of what proposals might be made?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 4:15:46 PM
At 3/30/2016 4:08:30 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

1 - Voter requirements to be able to vote on proposals
2 - Raising/Lowering/abolishing limit of 2 proposals that can be made in a convention
3 - Proposal to have a one-time induction of polls into the Hall of Fame
4 - Proposal to relax vote moderation in some aspect
5 - Proposal to more strictly enforce vote moderation in some aspect
6 - Proposal to ban, temp ban, or forum ban a certain member from the site (Airmax woul dhave veto power over this
7 - Proposal to alter how mafia games and tournaments are regulated
8 - Proposal to make heavy spamming debates a ban-worthy offense (Airmax would have veto power over this)
9 - Proposal to alter how strictly enforced the 'No personal attacks' rule is enforced (Airmax would have veto power over this)
10 - Proposal to ban certain types of threads from being put in the main forum (like AMA's or Fanfictions, which arent officially banned from the main page and are simply located elsewhere due to site custom)

Thats just off the top of my head

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 4:30:53 PM
At 3/30/2016 4:29:41 PM, The_Great_Amalgam wrote:
I first thought that when you said DDO Conventions you meant a convention, like Comic Con, and things like that...

Ive always wanted to go to one of those but whenever one is in a major city im nearby im busy as hell or broke

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 4:43:40 PM

How do you question if any bad is democratic. It's the same as reporting people. We can report someone 100 times, but airmax ultimately can say no because he is the one true power. This is just making it more formal and open.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:16:03 PM
I also would like to mention how this system would affect 'programs' like Voter Outreach or Voter Unions because I couldnt fit it into the original post without being able to elaborate on it.

Under the Convention system, there would be nothing preventing a person from making any sort of program to try to make DDO better, whether it be some sort of membership outreach program or whatever. A person will be allowed to make any program they want, be in charge of the program, advertise the program, bring others on board in running the program, etc. without there being a need to actually have their program be approved in a Convention vote. There would also be nothing preventing a person from naming themselves as the person officially in charge of a program they want to run or are already running, and there would be no need or requirement for a person to have a proposed program be first approved by voters in a Convention vote in order for the program to be implemented. There is virtually no need for a person to propose their program or propose to continue to run their program without 60% approval from voters in a convention vote.

HOWEVER, People can do so anyways if they really want to

Lets say, due to some form of paranoia or need for personal satisfaction, you want to make your program the 'Official' program of its type on DDO, or you want to be recognized as the 'Official' head of the program on DDO, or maybe even both for all I care..... Members who run or want to create programs they feel would better DDO can make proposal threads to have their programs be recognized as the 'Official' outreach program or the 'Official' Voters Union if they really want to.

I can see why some people who currently are in charge of programs dont like the idea of getting rid of the presidency since it jeopardizes their own influence they (think they) have on the site by being in charge of certain programs..... So if a person is really, really, really worried that without a presidency they would somehow not have as much authority on DDO or their programs would not have as much influence as they currently do, they are allowed to make proposals for the Convention to have their programs be recognized as the 'Official' programs on DDO and/or to make proposals to make themselves the 'Official' head of a program they currently operate or would like to create.

There's no need to be 'officially recognized' by voters at all, since people have all the ability in the world to create and run their own programs regardless of whether people think its a good idea or not..... But if people really are going to bend over backwards over not being 'official' anymore if the presidency is abolished, they are more than welcome to have a courtesy vote by DDO in a Convention to have their programs be recognized as the 'official' version of its sort.

TL;DR = There's no real need to have a program be approved in a Convention in order for it to be implemented, but if you want to have your program be recognized as the 'official' version of a program for whatever reason, you are allowed to make a proposal in a Convention to recognize a program as the official one and have voters vote on it.

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:17:33 PM
At 3/30/2016 4:43:40 PM, Mikal wrote:

How do you question if any bad is democratic. It's the same as reporting people. We can report someone 100 times, but airmax ultimately can say no because he is the one true power. This is just making it more formal and open.

As I said to Ima, I can trust Airmax to be impartial. My concern was that it wouldn't be fair for the "democratic" voting for the ban doesn't end up a popularity contest, where they are voted into a ban because so many people just don't like them, not because they did anything wrong.

I think it's a good idea, though. I wasn't taking issue with it.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:18:29 PM
At 3/30/2016 4:15:46 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/30/2016 4:08:30 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

1 - Voter requirements to be able to vote on proposals
2 - Raising/Lowering/abolishing limit of 2 proposals that can be made in a convention
3 - Proposal to have a one-time induction of polls into the Hall of Fame
4 - Proposal to relax vote moderation in some aspect
5 - Proposal to more strictly enforce vote moderation in some aspect
6 - Proposal to ban, temp ban, or forum ban a certain member from the site (Airmax woul dhave veto power over this
7 - Proposal to alter how mafia games and tournaments are regulated
8 - Proposal to make heavy spamming debates a ban-worthy offense (Airmax would have veto power over this)
9 - Proposal to alter how strictly enforced the 'No personal attacks' rule is enforced (Airmax would have veto power over this)
10 - Proposal to ban certain types of threads from being put in the main forum (like AMA's or Fanfictions, which arent officially banned from the main page and are simply located elsewhere due to site custom)

Thats just off the top of my head

Cool. :)
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:22:21 PM
At 3/30/2016 5:19:30 PM, YYW wrote:
*rolls eyes*

Very high-quality post. One of the finest ones you've made in recent days

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:25:15 PM
At 3/30/2016 5:22:21 PM, imabench wrote:
*rolls eyes*

The reality is that everything about your approach here is misguided. But this will be dead in the water to begin with, so I don't see the point in spending the time to explain why this will result in bad outcomes.

Though, if the discussion picks up, I may offer some thoughts.
Tsar of DDO
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:29:34 PM
At 3/30/2016 5:25:15 PM, YYW wrote:
*rolls eyes*

The reality is that everything about your approach here is misguided. But this will be dead in the water to begin with, so I don't see the point in spending the time to explain why this will result in bad outcomes.

Its amazing how many ignorant misconceptions you can cram into such few words and then not even care to try to explain or justify them. Youve turned it into an art almost

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:34:49 PM
At 3/30/2016 5:29:34 PM, imabench wrote:
*rolls eyes*

Its amazing how many ignorant misconceptions you can cram into such few words and then not even care to try to explain or justify them. Youve turned it into an art almost

lol sure
Tsar of DDO
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:42:55 PM
At 3/30/2016 5:34:49 PM, YYW wrote:
*rolls eyes*

lol sure

Feel free to explain why this system would result in bad outcomes, or why its dead in the water to begin with. I could use a good laugh

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:43:32 PM
At 3/30/2016 5:42:55 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/30/2016 5:34:49 PM, YYW wrote:
*rolls eyes*

lol sure

Feel free to explain why this system would result in bad outcomes, or why its dead in the water to begin with. I could use a good laugh

We'll see if it's necessary.
Tsar of DDO
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:48:32 PM
At 3/30/2016 5:43:32 PM, YYW wrote:

^ That is how people bluff their way out of an argument without trying to admit defeat

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:48:59 PM
At 3/30/2016 5:48:32 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/30/2016 5:43:32 PM, YYW wrote:

^ That is how people bluff their way out of an argument without trying to admit defeat

Oh yes, that's exactly it.
Tsar of DDO
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:51:24 PM

I don't understand the six months thing. If you get elected, when would the first convention take place? And doesn't the presidency only last six months? So can't the next president (presuming you don't get re-elected) just end these?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:52:50 PM
The fact is that I have become so indifferent to this site and its politics that I really don't even care. I can see, as I think some have already alluded to, the risks of your proposal. There may be some benefits, and it's moving in the right direction, but still... you're just not there yet. I know you're trying, though... we'll see how it goes.
Tsar of DDO
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:56:59 PM
At 3/30/2016 5:51:24 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

I don't understand the six months thing. If you get elected, when would the first convention take place?

6 months after I got elected at the same time the next presidential election would have taken place (if I didnt get elected and there was still a presidency)

And doesn't the presidency only last six months? So can't the next president (presuming you don't get re-elected) just end these?

There wouldnt be a next president because the next time there was supposed to be an election there would be a DDO Convention instead.

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:58:30 PM
At 3/30/2016 5:56:59 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/30/2016 5:51:24 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

I don't understand the six months thing. If you get elected, when would the first convention take place?

6 months after I got elected at the same time the next presidential election would have taken place (if I didnt get elected and there was still a presidency)

And doesn't the presidency only last six months? So can't the next president (presuming you don't get re-elected) just end these?

There wouldnt be a next president because the next time there was supposed to be an election there would be a DDO Convention instead.

Oh, right. I forgot you wanted to completely abolish the presidency. So the only way to hold a next presidential election would be through a DDO convention? I think you should hold the first DDO election immediately after you get elected.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...