Jump to topic:

The purpose of the DDO president

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:24:14 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
When the presidency started, it was a joke. Since Innomen's time, it was a liason position with Juggle. That continued through the Airmax presidency after which Airmax became a mod and Juggle gave him mod powers but the presidency elections continued every six months anyways.

So, why do we need it? Airmax is a great mod but he's not going to be around in perpetuity. Suppose he gets married and baby-Airmax is on the way and same with whiteflame and Raisor. Suppose Airmax then hands over modding powers to the trusted but controversial bsh1, introduces him to Juggle, and puts him as a liason between Juggle and the memberbase. In this hypothetical scenario, the hypothetical bsh1 would have the power to ban people for what he would perceive as poor conduct. Suppose the memberbase is not happy. What will we do then? If there's no elections, mods control everything.

The point of the election is to have a user representative to counter moderation's power. People have become complacent because the current mod is a mature and neutral figure. We need to have a user representative who will speak to Juggle on behalf of the userbase if we have future mods whose policies we don't agree with so we can rise up in revolt and kick them out of their position if needed.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:27:31 PM
At 3/30/2016 5:24:14 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

If there's no elections, mods control everything.

Im fairly certain that mods already control everything even with presidential elections in place, at least everything of importance..... Is there any veto-like power that the President holds over the mod? As far as I can tell the Presidency is just an over-glorified advisory position.

We need to have a user representative who will speak to Juggle on behalf of the userbase if we have future mods whose policies we don't agree with so we can rise up in revolt and kick them out of their position if needed.

If we need to rely on Juggle to get rid of a mod then we're all completely f*cked because Juggle doesnt do anything on here anymore.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:31:26 PM
At 3/30/2016 5:27:31 PM, imabench wrote:

Im fairly certain that mods already control everything even with presidential elections in place, at least everything of importance..... Is there any veto-like power that the President holds over the mod? As far as I can tell the Presidency is just an over-glorified advisory position.

We need to have a user representative who will speak to Juggle on behalf of the userbase if we have future mods whose policies we don't agree with so we can rise up in revolt and kick them out of their position if needed.

If we need to rely on Juggle to get rid of a mod then we're all completely f*cked because Juggle doesnt do anything on here anymore.

The mod has the power because Juggle gives the mod the ability to log into the backend and do things like ban people, remove threads, and remove votes. But if the president vehemently objects on behalf of the memberbase, that would certainly influence the mod's decision. Ultimately, the mod can't ban the entire userbase and if the userbase has a problem with the mod, and everyone decides they don't want the current mod, they can certainly speak to Juggle next time Juggle gets onto the site and have the mod's powers removed. Juggle won't leave a mod in place that the users don't like.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:33:41 PM
When the presidency started, it was a joke. Since Innomen's time, it was a liason position with Juggle. That continued through the Airmax presidency after which Airmax became a mod and Juggle gave him mod powers but the presidency elections continued every six months anyways.

So, why do we need it? Airmax is a great mod but he's not going to be around in perpetuity. Suppose he gets married and baby-Airmax is on the way and same with whiteflame and Raisor. Suppose Airmax then hands over modding powers to the trusted but controversial bsh1, introduces him to Juggle, and puts him as a liason between Juggle and the memberbase. In this hypothetical scenario, the hypothetical bsh1 would have the power to ban people for what he would perceive as poor conduct. Suppose the memberbase is not happy. What will we do then? If there's no elections, mods control everything.

The point of the election is to have a user representative to counter moderation's power. People have become complacent because the current mod is a mature and neutral figure. We need to have a user representative who will speak to Juggle on behalf of the userbase if we have future mods whose policies we don't agree with so we can rise up in revolt and kick them out of their position if needed.

I cannot imagine that anyone would *ever* give bsh1 any moderating powers, given who and what he is. I mean, to even offer him a position as a mod in any capacity would be inane beyond description.

Despite my strong disagreements with Airmax in the past, it is inconceivable to me that he would be so stupid as to surrender mod control to bsh1. Like, doing so would be nothing less than an act of abject idiocy, for reasons that I can think of fifteen members off the top of my head who could explain.

And, frankly, if bsh1 ever was a moderater, certain members may be under ethical obligations to disclose certain things in protest, because to give him a moderater position would be not only terribly disastrous, but would expose many to very real and considerable risk... risk which they currently do not have sufficient facts to understand.

Though, I am virtually certain that everything would come out in the open, were that the case.

On the subject, though... there is a huge problem with people on this site making assumptions about how much they know with regard to any situation. Particularly, they assume they know everything based on their limited perception of what they see. They are often too dumb to think about what they might not know; for example, what happens via PM's, or off the site.

So people should be less quick to rush to judgements unless they are in full command of the facts.
Tsar of DDO
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:37:23 PM
At 3/30/2016 5:31:26 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 3/30/2016 5:27:31 PM, imabench wrote:

The mod has the power because Juggle gives the mod the ability to log into the backend and do things like ban people, remove threads, and remove votes. But if the president vehemently objects on behalf of the memberbase, that would certainly influence the mod's decision.

So basically the president has as much power in stopping a mod from doing something as the UN does in stopping a dictator from bombing his own people......

Ultimately, the mod can't ban the entire userbase and if the userbase has a problem with the mod, and everyone decides they don't want the current mod, they can certainly speak to Juggle next time Juggle gets onto the site

Which could be never for all we know.

Juggle won't leave a mod in place that the users don't like.

Juggle leaves all kinds of things in place that users dont like. They leave the opinions section in place even though users dont like it, they dont update the home page or refresh top debates which users dont like, they dont fix site bugs that users dont like, and for every prominent member that leaves there are a dozen temporary noobs that arrive on the site for the first time..... I think Juggle would certainly leave a mod in place people dont like since they have already left so many aspects of the site in its current state despite how users dont like them.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:53:30 PM

The President really can't do anything in this "hypothetical scenario" because airmax can't introduce them to Juggle because Juggle won't listen. And in all honesty, at this point I don't think Juggle would even care if airmax left.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 5:57:44 PM
tl dr

If Airmax goes, the president becomes mod and we are all f*cked.

It could be worse... Bench could be elected president...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 6:05:32 PM
At 3/30/2016 5:57:44 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
tl dr

Not quite. If Airmax goes without even naming someone else a mod or Juggle doesnt care enough to make another mod at Airmax's recommendation, then technically the site has no mods

Im running to END the presidency, not BE president ;)

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 6:09:30 PM
Having any president choosing to ban people is completely unfair. I don't care who you are, people would take advantage of the powers. I don't trust anyone, but Airmax.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 6:13:49 PM
At 3/30/2016 6:09:30 PM, Rosalie wrote:
Having any president choosing to ban people is completely unfair. I don't care who you are, people would take advantage of the powers. I don't trust anyone, but Airmax.

Sounds exactly like something AN AIRMAX ALTERNATE ACCOUNT WOULD SAY

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 6:15:02 PM
At 3/30/2016 6:13:49 PM, imabench wrote:

Shhhhhhhhhh :x I told you to keep it on the Dl!
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 6:37:23 PM

Not even me?

Airmax multis are getting out of hand.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 6:42:30 PM
At 3/30/2016 6:37:23 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Not even me?

Nope. Sorry. The head mod has a lot of personal information, such as I.P's and phone numbers, and i don't trust any other member, than airmax to see the info.

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 6:43:23 PM

I strongly agree with this analysis, and the idea of the President being a part of a system of checks and balances was one I have raised before in defending the utility of the institution.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 6:43:26 PM
At 3/30/2016 6:42:30 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Not even me?

Nope. Sorry. The head mod has a lot of personal information, such as I.P's and phone numbers, and i don't trust any other member, than airmax to see the info.

Why not me?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 6:44:43 PM
At 3/30/2016 6:43:26 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
At 3/30/2016 6:42:30 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Not even me?

Why not me?

Because. Who knows if you have beef with someone on the site, and may use their info against them.if you were the head mod. I don't know you very well anyways.

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 6:53:06 PM
At 3/30/2016 6:05:32 PM, imabench wrote:
tl dr

Not quite. If Airmax goes without even naming someone else a mod or Juggle doesnt care enough to make another mod at Airmax's recommendation, then technically the site has no mods

That mightn't be so terrible. >.> Just anarchy, trolls, spam and whatnot. The occasional losing of brain cells from stupidity...

On the bright side, TWS COULD RETURN :D

If you were offered a mod position, what would you do?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 7:19:51 PM

This is a good post, I think I agree.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 7:21:32 PM
At 3/30/2016 6:15:02 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Woah, I don't want to imagine anything on imabenches D.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 7:22:56 PM
At 3/30/2016 7:21:32 PM, TUF wrote:
At 3/30/2016 6:15:02 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Woah, I don't want to imagine anything on imabenches D.

Wooooooooooooow. Don't be jealous.

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 7:22:56 PM

Agreed, but the point of the thread is that Airmax won't always be around, and if someone was going to take over such powers, you should vote for someone you think wouldn't abuse those powers.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 7:31:32 PM
At 3/30/2016 7:22:56 PM, TUF wrote:

Agreed, but the point of the thread is that Airmax won't always be around, and if someone was going to take over such powers, you should vote for someone you think wouldn't abuse those powers.

What makes anyone think that the president would naturally become the next mod?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 7:34:10 PM
At 3/30/2016 7:31:32 PM, TBR wrote:

You'd have to ask F-16 that question. I am a believer that mod and president should be separate. But if airmax ever did give up his mod powers, would you rather it be user voted, or just handed to whomever he thought would best use the role? (Generally curious about your position, not setting up an argument. I am null on this).
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 7:37:30 PM

Well, I believe airmax choses the mods to the best of his judgments. The only mod I would trust to take his place is BOT, and maybe whiteflame. It should up to Max compleatly.

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 7:39:40 PM
At 3/30/2016 7:37:30 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Well, I believe airmax choses the mods to the best of his judgments. The only mod I would trust to take his place is BOT, and maybe whiteflame. It should up to Max compleatly.

Yeah, airmax probably would make those decisions.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 7:42:44 PM
At 3/30/2016 7:31:32 PM, TBR wrote:

It's not natural but it's a stepping stone. Innomen when he was the president acted as a liason with Juggle (which was the president's job) and when he got to know the Juggle employees, they gave him mod powers. I doubt that would have happened if he wasn't an elected liason. When Innomen recommended Airmax, the mod powers passed to him. But Airmax was also elected as president before receiving mod powers. It's true that the current Juggle liason can just pick someone else and request that they be the next mod but it's an inferior system to having someone who is both recommended for the mod job and elected by the memberbase having that position. For instance, Airmax saw through Mikal even when he was running despite the userbase not seeing through him. So, both mod recommendation and user votes should be considered when determining the next mod. User votes only become relevant if we continue the presidency every six months. If we just have a "mod vote" once Airmax leaves, the entire culture of DDO will be different from the current culture of having elected representatives and we would have to make massive adjustments.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 8:05:51 PM
At 3/30/2016 6:43:23 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I strongly agree with this analysis, and the idea of the President being a part of a system of checks and balances was one I have raised before in defending the utility of the institution.

But the President doesnt actually hold any checks or balances over moderation other than messages that begin with "I strongly suggest that...."

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 8:06:32 PM
At 3/30/2016 6:53:06 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
tl dr

That mightn't be so terrible. >.> Just anarchy, trolls, spam and whatnot. The occasional losing of brain cells from stupidity...

Ban myself just for the sh*ts and giggles

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 8:13:56 PM
At 3/30/2016 8:05:51 PM, imabench wrote:
But the President doesnt actually hold any checks or balances over moderation other than messages that begin with "I strongly suggest that...."

That's because the current mod never abuses his powers. What if hypothetical imabench became mod and trolled the fvck out of everyone and banned people for laughs? Then the president would be able to communicate with Juggle on behalf of the people and advocate that imabench be removed from his position.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 8:15:04 PM
At 3/30/2016 8:06:32 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/30/2016 6:53:06 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
tl dr

Ban myself just for the sh*ts and giggles

Listen!!! I got lots of problems with myself, and my behavior. I have taken just about enough of this crap from myself, and will have no more!