Jump to topic:

What do you want from a DDO President?

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 10:05:27 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
What are the biggest things you look for in a candidate for the presidency?

What issues will influence your vote the most?
Hoppi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 10:11:42 PM
At 3/30/2016 10:05:27 PM, Raisor wrote:

Not too annoying.

Least likely to annoy me. Philochristos is the least annoying so far.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 10:13:43 PM
I think the best and most honest answers to these questions are, simultaneously, frustratingly vague.

I want someone responsible. Someone who will invest time and energy in the office. Someone who won't seek to abolish it. Someone who cares about the site and the community.

The only person this list of generalities actually eliminates, per se, is Bench (Skep and Philo if you assume that they're seriously running). But, among those candidates who put forth platforms and/or who will put forth platforms, to someone else on this site, each one of those candidates will meet those criteria. It really is more of a "I know it when I see it" rather than, "here is my checklist and here is the one who passes."

I would also point out that I think whoever takes office must be equipped, both emotionally, mentally, in terms of knowledge, time-wise, and enthusiasm-wise, to fulfill the duties of the Presidency, which I see as these:

- To liaise with Juggle (should that ever become a thing again)
- To liaise with and check Moderation
- To act as a Community Organizer
- To act as a Town Crier (i.e. to inform the community about things of note)
- To act as a Community Ambassador (particularly towards noobs)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 10:30:36 PM
At 3/30/2016 10:11:42 PM, Hoppi wrote:
At 3/30/2016 10:05:27 PM, Raisor wrote:

Not too annoying.

Least likely to annoy me. Philochristos is the least annoying so far.

That seems like a low bar lol
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 10:42:59 PM
Whether or not they will make Gerald Ford the official DDO mascot.

I'm not bothering with weighing actual candidacies until late May/June, but it wouldn't hurt to say what I'm looking for. I want a president who understands the capacities of the office as opposed to being a regular member, and presents proposals tailored specifically to the powers the president exclusively has.

This would include powers as site liaison to the mod (as I imagine 500 PMs from various users on the subject are impractical), as figurehead of the site (eg for outreach to other communities), as one of the most respected members (the president can be in a very good position to resolve drama + create a good atmosphere, depending on pre-existing conflicts, demeanor, and other factors), and so on. In other words, if I vote for a presidency (rather than a office-altering ticket like Bench's or the DDO Elite ticket of [censored]), I'm looking for someone who is 1) relatively uncontroversial, 2) understands what the president can do, and 3) will perform the duties of president in an agreeable manner. That third one is a little vague, but essentially, it means that I can trust the president will leave the site in a better position that he/she found it. I've found candidates that fulfill two of those, but not necessarily three, yet.

At this point, I prefer a presidency {as a concept) over alternatives presented thus far, but that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any better alternatives. I just haven't seen any, yet. I weigh that by looking at 1) how much drama will result, 2) whether it will contribute to normal [non-DDO politics] discourse on the site in a better way, and 3) the power structure itself.

My preference calculations do not include things like community organizing (not that it hurts, and I certainly won't complain about it; it's just that it can be done without additional power) or communicating with Juggle (there's no reason I have been given to believe that any president can succeed where Airmax hasn't).

In terms of individual policies, here would be a few:
-Instituting a moratorium on campaigning until 30 days before the election.
-Unban the Madman
-Make Gerald Ford the official DDO Mascot
-Thett as the sole and rightful VP
-Communicating with other forums to organize fun events (there are some activities like the multi-site debate tourney, as well as the mafia one; I'd love to see more things like that)
-Giving the president temporary mod powers (I don't necessarily agree with this, but I'd be really interested to see a case + implementation plan made for it; I think it would make people take the position much more seriously)
In other words, I'd like a lot of novelty.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:03:07 PM
Very little. The real list is about what I don't want in a president, and that list is quite long.

I want the president to do everything in his power to cultivate the most freedom for each individual member. Nothing more or less.

The notion that Juggle gives a sh!t about this site is just that... a notion.

Tournaments... no one really cares.

Even mafia... no one really cares.

The site isn't fun anymore, and it's because people get so caught up in bullsh!t that doesn't matter.
Tsar of DDO
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:07:08 PM
We need someone to get a job at juggle, find out the passwords/coding or whatever for DDO, and then become the new juggle operator XP
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:07:32 PM
At 3/30/2016 11:03:07 PM, YYW wrote:
I want the president to do everything in his power to cultivate the most freedom for each individual member. Nothing more or less.

You've probably answered this elsewhere, but I don't spend a lot of time on presidential threads. What does it mean to have freedom, and what power does the president have to cultivate it?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:08:52 PM
At 3/30/2016 11:07:32 PM, SolonKR wrote:

You've probably answered this elsewhere, but I don't spend a lot of time on presidential threads. What does it mean to have freedom, and what power does the president have to cultivate it?

Freedom is the absence of restraint. A president can do what he can to remove or mitigate forces which constrain people.
Tsar of DDO
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:09:17 PM
Very little. The real list is about what I don't want in a president, and that list is quite long.

The notion that Juggle gives a sh!t about this site is just that... a notion.

Tournaments... no one really cares.

Even mafia... no one really cares.

The site isn't fun anymore, and it's because people get so caught up in bullsh!t that doesn't matter.

Plenty of people care about the tournaments, if nobody did, then we couldn't continue them.

I'm not sure why you're saying nobody cares about Mafia, plenty of people do. The game forum is the largest. I've heard from multiple people that the only reason why they stay on this site, is for the Mafia games.

You say the site is boring, but yet you don't care about the tournaments, or Mafia, and without those activities, the site would be ofically dead.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:09:41 PM

Solon stop making me think you're Chris ;_;
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:10:14 PM
At 3/30/2016 11:09:41 PM, Vaarka wrote:

+1
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:10:22 PM
At 3/30/2016 11:08:52 PM, YYW wrote:
Freedom is the absence of restraint. A president can do what he can to remove or mitigate forces which constrain people.

Can you elaborate (on both counts)?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:10:42 PM
At 3/30/2016 11:10:22 PM, SolonKR wrote:
At 3/30/2016 11:08:52 PM, YYW wrote:

Can you elaborate (on both counts)?

Yes.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:11:37 PM
At 3/30/2016 11:10:14 PM, bsh1 wrote:

+1
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:11:39 PM

Done.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:12:01 PM
I'd also like a DDO President who didn't start his campaign several months before everyone else, causing everyone else to start theirs, encouraging other people to join because of all the extra time.

But hey, that won't stop me from voting for them...

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:12:36 PM
At 3/30/2016 11:11:39 PM, SolonKR wrote:

Done.

We all just need to switch the the exact same avatar for a day and confuse the hell out of everyone...

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:12:38 PM

Done.

Lol.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:13:09 PM

Done.

Thank you. I had to think for a second why I posted in a manner you would speak in to bump the hangout thread last night. Then I realized I did not.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:24:12 PM

Done.

GAH. I read your comment above, and thought it was harder that had said it... then I came back, saw it again, and was like "Wait, YYW wrote that? I thought it was harder?" And then I looked at the username. -_-
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Briannj17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:27:33 PM
At 3/30/2016 11:24:12 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Done.

GAH. I read your comment above, and thought it was harder that had said it... then I came back, saw it again, and was like "Wait, YYW wrote that? I thought it was harder?" And then I looked at the username. -_-

Cool story bro.
http://www.debate.org...
King of Poetry in this poem lacking era
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:27:56 PM
At 3/30/2016 11:27:33 PM, Briannj17 wrote:

Done.

Cool story bro.

Thx m8
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Briannj17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:33:17 PM
I don't know of this has been said, but I want someone who will actually go see Juggle and make some changes. Maybe an app could be made, and I want the homepage debates changed. Otherwise I want someone to keep everything else the same. (conservative)
http://www.debate.org...
King of Poetry in this poem lacking era
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:34:56 PM
At 3/30/2016 11:33:17 PM, Briannj17 wrote:
I don't know of this has been said, but I want someone who will actually go see Juggle and make some changes. Maybe an app could be made, and I want the homepage debates changed. Otherwise I want someone to keep everything else the same. (conservative)

I doubt anyone could bring Juggle on board, sadly.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:34:57 PM

Done.

So you want a DDO president with a consistent avatar?
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2016 11:37:23 PM
At 3/30/2016 11:34:57 PM, Raisor wrote:

Done.

So you want a DDO president with a consistent avatar?

YES. Lol. Or, at least, one who does not copy other users' avatars. ;)
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 1:46:05 AM
At 3/30/2016 10:13:43 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I think the best and most honest answers to these questions are, simultaneously, frustratingly vague.

I want someone responsible. Someone who will invest time and energy in the office. Someone who won't seek to abolish it. Someone who cares about the site and the community.

The only person this list of generalities actually eliminates, per se, is Bench (Skep and Philo if you assume that they're seriously running). But, among those candidates who put forth platforms and/or who will put forth platforms, to someone else on this site, each one of those candidates will meet those criteria. It really is more of a "I know it when I see it" rather than, "here is my checklist and here is the one who passes."

I would also point out that I think whoever takes office must be equipped, both emotionally, mentally, in terms of knowledge, time-wise, and enthusiasm-wise, to fulfill the duties of the Presidency, which I see as these:

Juggle would have no reason at all to liaise with an elected person, which could change every 6 months, this will never happen.

Why? The President has no mod powers. What's to check? The mods pulse to see if he's still alive?

The community doesn't need organizing, it's an online forum where people post on threads, that's as organized as it can get.

Such as what? Nothing happens here of note. "Hear ye hear ye, I have an erection!"

Put up an introduction forum, same thing.

A monkey with a banana could fulfill those duties.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 1:49:00 AM
At 3/31/2016 1:46:05 AM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Juggle would have no reason at all to liaise with an elected person, which could change every 6 months, this will never happen.

Except, it is historically proven as happening. TUF, Max (back when he was President), and Innomen--all used their office as President to liaise with Juggle, and all brought around changes to the site through that work.

Why? The President has no mod powers. What's to check? The mods pulse to see if he's still alive?

You misunderstand how I am using the word "check."

Put up an introduction forum, same thing.

We do have an intro thread. It hasn't helped.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 1:54:01 AM

Well said!
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...