Total Posts:65|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Announcement of Moratorium on Campaigns

Raisor
Posts: 4,459
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 7:55:37 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
This year has seen an objectionably early start to campaigning for DDO president.

In the interest of not annoying everyone with endless campaign posts and setting a precedent that serious candidates will respect a norm of a contained campaign season, there has been discussion of a moratorium on campaigns during the month of April, starting tonight at midnight east coast time. This gives everyone a chance for last minute announcements if needed.

This means no posting threads about the presidency, posting about platforms in other members threads, discussing fitness for office, etc. until May. General site policy and proposals are ok, the idea is just not to tie anything to the presidential race or any specific campaign. This is a good faith pledge, not some legalistic agreement.

Both Wylted and DK campaigns have signed on. Imabench was not willing to agree to this proposal.

I encourage other candidates to sign onto this as well.

There will be plenty of time to spam the forums about pet projects in May, let's set a precedent that campaigns be limited to the month or so before the election.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 7:58:53 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 7:55:37 PM, Raisor wrote:
This year has seen an objectionably early start to campaigning for DDO president.

In the interest of not annoying everyone with endless campaign posts and setting a precedent that serious candidates will respect a norm of a contained campaign season, there has been discussion of a moratorium on campaigns during the month of April, starting tonight at midnight east coast time. This gives everyone a chance for last minute announcements if needed.

This means no posting threads about the presidency, posting about platforms in other members threads, discussing fitness for office, etc. until May. General site policy and proposals are ok, the idea is just not to tie anything to the presidential race or any specific campaign. This is a good faith pledge, not some legalistic agreement.

Both Wylted and DK campaigns have signed on. Imabench was not willing to agree to this proposal.

I encourage other candidates to sign onto this as well.

There will be plenty of time to spam the forums about pet projects in May, let's set a precedent that campaigns be limited to the month or so before the election.

Et tu, Raise?

Why does the activity of other members bother people so much? Everytime I see a thread like this, I wonder why the person making the thread chooses to read presidential threads and then argue for their stoppage as opposed to ignoring them until May.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,098
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:04:00 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
This bothers me, but I'm not going to say why due to my interest in whether someone else can see what I see.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Hoppi
Posts: 1,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:06:08 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 7:58:53 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 3/31/2016 7:55:37 PM, Raisor wrote:
This year has seen an objectionably early start to campaigning for DDO president.

In the interest of not annoying everyone with endless campaign posts and setting a precedent that serious candidates will respect a norm of a contained campaign season, there has been discussion of a moratorium on campaigns during the month of April, starting tonight at midnight east coast time. This gives everyone a chance for last minute announcements if needed.

This means no posting threads about the presidency, posting about platforms in other members threads, discussing fitness for office, etc. until May. General site policy and proposals are ok, the idea is just not to tie anything to the presidential race or any specific campaign. This is a good faith pledge, not some legalistic agreement.

Both Wylted and DK campaigns have signed on. Imabench was not willing to agree to this proposal.

I encourage other candidates to sign onto this as well.

There will be plenty of time to spam the forums about pet projects in May, let's set a precedent that campaigns be limited to the month or so before the election.

Et tu, Raise?

Why does the activity of other members bother people so much? Everytime I see a thread like this, I wonder why the person making the thread chooses to read presidential threads and then argue for their stoppage as opposed to ignoring them until May.

I agree that it's strange and out of character for Raisor to post this. I'm guessing it's because he's supporting DK, but I'm hoping it's because he's either planning to run himself, or will take over as election administrator from Airmax.
lannan13
Posts: 23,017
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:07:47 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Why? I think that anyone should be able to discuss the political atmosphere of DDO. I know that it's annoying, but that doesn't mean you should censor it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:09:31 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 7:55:37 PM, Raisor wrote:
This year has seen an objectionably early start to campaigning for DDO president.

In the interest of not annoying everyone with endless campaign posts and setting a precedent that serious candidates will respect a norm of a contained campaign season, there has been discussion of a moratorium on campaigns during the month of April, starting tonight at midnight east coast time. This gives everyone a chance for last minute announcements if needed.

This means no posting threads about the presidency, posting about platforms in other members threads, discussing fitness for office, etc. until May. General site policy and proposals are ok, the idea is just not to tie anything to the presidential race or any specific campaign. This is a good faith pledge, not some legalistic agreement.

Both Wylted and DK campaigns have signed on. Imabench was not willing to agree to this proposal.

For the record, the reasons why I wasn't willing to agree to the proposal is because

1) I already have a pre-existing agreement with DK to not make any new threads for the entire month of April

and 2) Unlike DK and Wylted, whose campaigns enjoy a relative amount of peace + quiet and immunity from criticism, my platform which is almost constantly being brought up by other people who are opposed to the abolition idea.

Im pretty much the voice for abolition of the presidency at the moment since im campaigning on it and also have a proposed system to replace the presidency should i win.... So for me to agree to not comment on about the presidency at all for an entire month would allow for the door to be flung open on people who criticize the abolition platform Im running on, and I would be unable to respond. I wont myself make threads for why people should be in favor of abolition, but I absolutely need to be able to defend my own platform from those who are viciously opposed to abolition. Thats why I couldnt sign the agreement, I have too many vocal enemies against my campaign to afford to stay quiet
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:13:42 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
I think if other people want to announce (many people have seemed to want to throw their hats into the ring), they should be able to do post their platform and have reasonable discussion about that, but with as few unique threads related to that as possible. Otherwise, I fully agree with this. I will confine my own posts to those threads already created (not that I am campaigning, but I am discussing the utility of the Presidency and the credibility of the logic of abolitionism in general). When those threads fizzle, I will happily wait until may to see what kind of chaos might erupt.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Raisor
Posts: 4,459
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:14:52 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 8:07:47 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Why? I think that anyone should be able to discuss the political atmosphere of DDO. I know that it's annoying, but that doesn't mean you should censor it.

It's not at all censorship. It is establishing a norm so we don't see creep of the presidential campaigns. The moratorium is totally voluntary
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:15:47 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
I think their is also something ironic about this...if DK and Bench thought posts this early were spam or somehow bad, why did they announce this early themselves? Just because Wylted announced, that did not mean they had to follow suit...Just a thought...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:16:43 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 8:07:47 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Why? I think that anyone should be able to discuss the political atmosphere of DDO. I know that it's annoying, but that doesn't mean you should censor it.

It's voluntary, though...no one will force candidates to participate.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Raisor
Posts: 4,459
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:18:07 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 7:58:53 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 3/31/2016 7:55:37 PM, Raisor wrote:
This year has seen an objectionably early start to campaigning for DDO president.

In the interest of not annoying everyone with endless campaign posts and setting a precedent that serious candidates will respect a norm of a contained campaign season, there has been discussion of a moratorium on campaigns during the month of April, starting tonight at midnight east coast time. This gives everyone a chance for last minute announcements if needed.

This means no posting threads about the presidency, posting about platforms in other members threads, discussing fitness for office, etc. until May. General site policy and proposals are ok, the idea is just not to tie anything to the presidential race or any specific campaign. This is a good faith pledge, not some legalistic agreement.

Both Wylted and DK campaigns have signed on. Imabench was not willing to agree to this proposal.

I encourage other candidates to sign onto this as well.

There will be plenty of time to spam the forums about pet projects in May, let's set a precedent that campaigns be limited to the month or so before the election.

Et tu, Raise?

Why does the activity of other members bother people so much? Everytime I see a thread like this, I wonder why the person making the thread chooses to read presidential threads and then argue for their stoppage as opposed to ignoring them until May.

Attention is a commodity, the content posted on the mason forum impacts user experience.

What is wrong with having the candidates agree to keep the campaigning within a reasonable time slot? It's all totally voluntary.

Do you really want to see presidential posts 6+ months out of the year? That's why people are starting to get sol of the presidency to begin with.

This seems totally reasonable, but if the DDO community really wants non<x>stop campaigning then maybe I misread the pulse of public opinion.
lannan13
Posts: 23,017
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:24:49 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 8:16:43 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:07:47 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Why? I think that anyone should be able to discuss the political atmosphere of DDO. I know that it's annoying, but that doesn't mean you should censor it.

It's voluntary, though...no one will force candidates to participate.

True, but it could give a canidate a huge advantage. Say that Cody runs and makes a huge splash. Under this agreement these two can't respond to Cody's campaign until May. This would give him all of April to campaign and would do so pratically unopposed.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:27:14 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 8:15:47 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I think their is also something ironic about this...if DK and Bench thought posts this early were spam or somehow bad, why did they announce this early themselves? Just because Wylted announced, that did not mean they had to follow suit...Just a thought...

Me and DK didnt announce just because Wylted announced..... His candidacy is a joke to begin with, and no one really took him or the election seriously after he announced. We announced because someone else came along, tried to side with Wylted, made the upcoming election a big deal, causing voters from both sides of the last election to be up in arms over the political ploy, forcing other people thinking about running to declare so that they dont get left behind, or else they would risk someone else with similar ideas announcing they were running first......
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:28:12 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 8:07:47 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Why? I think that anyone should be able to discuss the political atmosphere of DDO. I know that it's annoying, but that doesn't mean you should censor it.

This was your 20,000th post for the record
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:30:36 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 8:27:14 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:15:47 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I think their is also something ironic about this...if DK and Bench thought posts this early were spam or somehow bad, why did they announce this early themselves? Just because Wylted announced, that did not mean they had to follow suit...Just a thought...

Me and DK didnt announce just because Wylted announced.....

Then this seems to make it even worse. People, including you, complain about the super early campaign cycle, but yet you are complicit in bringing about this super early campaign cycle.

If you truly objected, why not just hold off? Wylted seemed to be keeping things in a single thread...why not just let him do his thing and wait to get things really going for later? Even with me involved, it was 2 threads. You could've (and did) make your case against me in those threads, and not have announced so early yourselves.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:33:54 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 8:24:49 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:16:43 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:07:47 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Why? I think that anyone should be able to discuss the political atmosphere of DDO. I know that it's annoying, but that doesn't mean you should censor it.

It's voluntary, though...no one will force candidates to participate.

True, but it could give a canidate a huge advantage. Say that Cody runs and makes a huge splash. Under this agreement these two can't respond to Cody's campaign until May. This would give him all of April to campaign and would do so pratically unopposed.

Well, when candidates make the pledge, they do so realizing that this could happen. It's a strategic decision, but they have to be free to make it, and they accept the risks if they do.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
lannan13
Posts: 23,017
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:34:28 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 8:28:12 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:07:47 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Why? I think that anyone should be able to discuss the political atmosphere of DDO. I know that it's annoying, but that doesn't mean you should censor it.

This was your 20,000th post for the record

No it wasn't. Maybe on the leaderboard, but the actual count was the thread.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:42:22 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 8:30:36 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:27:14 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:15:47 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I think their is also something ironic about this...if DK and Bench thought posts this early were spam or somehow bad, why did they announce this early themselves? Just because Wylted announced, that did not mean they had to follow suit...Just a thought...

Me and DK didnt announce just because Wylted announced.....

Then this seems to make it even worse. People, including you, complain about the super early campaign cycle, but yet you are complicit in bringing about this super early campaign cycle.

If you didnt cut off the rest of my response (which you have a tendency of doing) then you would see why me and Dk essentially had to jump into the race before either of us would have preferred to

If you truly objected, why not just hold off? Wylted seemed to be keeping things in a single thread...why not just let him do his thing and wait to get things really going for later? Even with me involved, it was 2 threads.

Yet in only two threads you managed to make the election a gigantic issue and force people to show their hands regarding running or risk being left behind....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:43:00 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 8:34:28 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:28:12 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:07:47 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Why? I think that anyone should be able to discuss the political atmosphere of DDO. I know that it's annoying, but that doesn't mean you should censor it.

This was your 20,000th post for the record

No it wasn't. Maybe on the leaderboard, but the actual count was the thread.

oh, my bad
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
lannan13
Posts: 23,017
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:43:38 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 8:43:00 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:34:28 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:28:12 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:07:47 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Why? I think that anyone should be able to discuss the political atmosphere of DDO. I know that it's annoying, but that doesn't mean you should censor it.

This was your 20,000th post for the record

No it wasn't. Maybe on the leaderboard, but the actual count was the thread.

oh, my bad

You're fine.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Rosalie
Posts: 4,605
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:44:08 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 8:15:47 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I think their is also something ironic about this...if DK and Bench thought posts this early were spam or somehow bad, why did they announce this early themselves? Just because Wylted announced, that did not mean they had to follow suit...Just a thought...

Exactly.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:45:32 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 8:42:22 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:30:36 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:27:14 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:15:47 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I think their is also something ironic about this...if DK and Bench thought posts this early were spam or somehow bad, why did they announce this early themselves? Just because Wylted announced, that did not mean they had to follow suit...Just a thought...

Me and DK didnt announce just because Wylted announced.....

Then this seems to make it even worse. People, including you, complain about the super early campaign cycle, but yet you are complicit in bringing about this super early campaign cycle.

If you didnt cut off the rest of my response (which you have a tendency of doing) then you would see why me and Dk essentially had to jump into the race before either of us would have preferred to

Yes, and you said that reason was me, and I addressed that below.

If you truly objected, why not just hold off? Wylted seemed to be keeping things in a single thread...why not just let him do his thing and wait to get things really going for later? Even with me involved, it was 2 threads.

Yet in only two threads you managed to make the election a gigantic issue and force people to show their hands regarding running or risk being left behind....

Whether or not I made it a gigantic issue for one week, you could have allowed it to fizzle out (it would have within a few days) and not added fuel to the fire by announcing yourselves. You are thus complicit in the shifting of the cycle forward.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Romaniii
Posts: 421
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:46:25 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
I sign onto this moratorium on behalf of the Romanii sub-division of the Skepsikyma/SeventhProfessor co-presidential administration. I hereby vow to refrain from posting any more campaign-related material for the entire month of April. Of course, that vow also extends to my under-co-VP (FourTrouble), his secretaries, and all members of the departments, ministries, agencies, committees, sub-committees, mini-sub-committees, and super-mini-sub-committees which are under my authority.
Raisor
Posts: 4,459
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:48:52 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 8:46:25 PM, Romaniii wrote:
I sign onto this moratorium on behalf of the Romanii sub-division of the Skepsikyma/SeventhProfessor co-presidential administration. I hereby vow to refrain from posting any more campaign-related material for the entire month of April. Of course, that vow also extends to my under-co-VP (FourTrouble), his secretaries, and all members of the departments, ministries, agencies, committees, sub-committees, mini-sub-committees, and super-mini-sub-committees which are under my authority.

Lol glad we have the support of your sub sub sub committee
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:51:35 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 8:45:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:42:22 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:30:36 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:27:14 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:15:47 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I think their is also something ironic about this...if DK and Bench thought posts this early were spam or somehow bad, why did they announce this early themselves? Just because Wylted announced, that did not mean they had to follow suit...Just a thought...

Me and DK didnt announce just because Wylted announced.....

Then this seems to make it even worse. People, including you, complain about the super early campaign cycle, but yet you are complicit in bringing about this super early campaign cycle.

If you didnt cut off the rest of my response (which you have a tendency of doing) then you would see why me and Dk essentially had to jump into the race before either of us would have preferred to

Yes, and you said that reason was me, and I addressed that below.

If you truly objected, why not just hold off? Wylted seemed to be keeping things in a single thread...why not just let him do his thing and wait to get things really going for later? Even with me involved, it was 2 threads.

Yet in only two threads you managed to make the election a gigantic issue and force people to show their hands regarding running or risk being left behind....

Whether or not I made it a gigantic issue for one week, you could have allowed it to fizzle out (it would have within a few days) and not added fuel to the fire by announcing yourselves. You are thus complicit in the shifting of the cycle forward.

Everything goes in through one ear and right out the other with you doesnt it?

First off theres no guarantee that it would have fizzled out within a few days. Secondly, choosing not to announce would risk someone else announcing that they were going to jump in on a similar platform instead. We wouldn't have had to jump in had you yourself not added fuel to the fire by trying to join Wylteds campaign. You opened Pandora's box on this whether you admit it or not
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Raisor
Posts: 4,459
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:54:02 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 8:24:49 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:16:43 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:07:47 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Why? I think that anyone should be able to discuss the political atmosphere of DDO. I know that it's annoying, but that doesn't mean you should censor it.

It's voluntary, though...no one will force candidates to participate.

True, but it could give a canidate a huge advantage. Say that Cody runs and makes a huge splash. Under this agreement these two can't respond to Cody's campaign until May. This would give him all of April to campaign and would do so pratically unopposed.

Ideally any new candidate would agree not to campaign until May.

The idea is just to collectively take a step back from the spread of presidential politics. We don't need 3+ months of it, so let's all just agree to leave it alone until it really matters.

Hopefully goin forward this will set a precedent- candidates who are serious about running won't hog the limelight and will keep their campaigns limited to a reasonable campaign season.

All I'm asking for is a community consensus to walk back election season creep
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 8:54:46 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 8:51:35 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:45:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:42:22 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:30:36 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:27:14 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:15:47 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I think their is also something ironic about this...if DK and Bench thought posts this early were spam or somehow bad, why did they announce this early themselves? Just because Wylted announced, that did not mean they had to follow suit...Just a thought...

Me and DK didnt announce just because Wylted announced.....

Then this seems to make it even worse. People, including you, complain about the super early campaign cycle, but yet you are complicit in bringing about this super early campaign cycle.

If you didnt cut off the rest of my response (which you have a tendency of doing) then you would see why me and Dk essentially had to jump into the race before either of us would have preferred to

Yes, and you said that reason was me, and I addressed that below.

If you truly objected, why not just hold off? Wylted seemed to be keeping things in a single thread...why not just let him do his thing and wait to get things really going for later? Even with me involved, it was 2 threads.

Yet in only two threads you managed to make the election a gigantic issue and force people to show their hands regarding running or risk being left behind....

Whether or not I made it a gigantic issue for one week, you could have allowed it to fizzle out (it would have within a few days) and not added fuel to the fire by announcing yourselves. You are thus complicit in the shifting of the cycle forward.

Everything goes in through one ear and right out the other with you doesnt it?

First off theres no guarantee that it would have fizzled out within a few days.

Yeah, it would've. And, even if it hadn't, the critique of my joining the ticket was vociferous enough in both those threads to preclude the need for you to immediately jump into the race.

Secondly, choosing not to announce would risk someone else announcing that they were going to jump in on a similar platform instead.

Bench, those would have been troll campaigns like Skep's or Philo's. I am almost certain your campaign would've been unique. Anyway, essentially what you just said is: "it is okay to move the campaign forward, even though I totally agree that is objectionable, if it serves my self-interest." If that is your position, very well.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 9:02:00 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 8:54:46 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:51:35 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:45:32 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Whether or not I made it a gigantic issue for one week, you could have allowed it to fizzle out (it would have within a few days) and not added fuel to the fire by announcing yourselves. You are thus complicit in the shifting of the cycle forward.

Everything goes in through one ear and right out the other with you doesnt it?

First off theres no guarantee that it would have fizzled out within a few days.

Yeah, it would've.

You yourself just tried to lecture to me that its impossible to predict what will happen in the future, remember? DDO fuckin FEEDS on drama, especially here in the main forum, where drama-ridden threads can garner a thousand posts and a handful of spinoff threads about the first thread in question.

And, even if it hadn't, the critique of my joining the ticket was vociferous enough in both those threads to preclude the need for you to immediately jump into the race.

Not really. You joining Wylteds campaign removed any credibility he had to make himself as an 'outsider'/'abolitionist candidate, leaving the spot wide open for someone to jump in. There are plenty of people on the site who think the presidency should be dissolved, and seeing how Wylted almost beat you last time, people probably would have considered being the anti-presidency candidate if they were granted the opportunity to take the spot first.

Wylted's history also left a giant hole open for someone to jump in as the 'establishment' candidate, which DK and TUF did first, because for every person who would consider running as an abolitionist, there is a person who would consider running as an establishment campaign if they were given the opportunity to declare first.

Secondly, choosing not to announce would risk someone else announcing that they were going to jump in on a similar platform instead.

Bench, those would have been troll campaigns like Skep's or Philo's. I am almost certain your campaign would've been unique.

I shared my Convention idea with quite a few people after the clusterf*ck of the last election to see if they were interested on campaigning on the platform themselves in the event that I didnt run. Someone else might have run on the idea if I hadnt jumped in on it first.

Anyway, essentially what you just said is: "it is okay to move the campaign forward, even though I totally agree that is objectionable, if it serves my self-interest." If that is your position, very well.

Thats not my position, but by all means, continue to mischaracterize people you disagree with for your own gain. Its never stopped you before
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 9:23:02 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 9:02:00 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:54:46 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Anyway, essentially what you just said is: "it is okay to move the campaign forward, even though I totally agree that is objectionable, if it serves my self-interest." If that is your position, very well.

Thats not my position, but by all means, continue to mischaracterize people you disagree with for your own gain. Its never stopped you before

It is your position, but we can agree to disagree, because, again, we are just going inc circles.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2016 9:52:01 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
At 3/31/2016 9:23:02 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 3/31/2016 9:02:00 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/31/2016 8:54:46 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Anyway, essentially what you just said is: "it is okay to move the campaign forward, even though I totally agree that is objectionable, if it serves my self-interest." If that is your position, very well.

Thats not my position, but by all means, continue to mischaracterize people you disagree with for your own gain. Its never stopped you before

It is your position, but we can agree to disagree, because, again, we are just going inc circles.

Is DK also just serving his self interests by announcing he is runn days after you and Wylted made the election an issue?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015