Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 5:43:03 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
Do you dislike Christians?
Pro-Life Quotes:

"I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born."
- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

"A person is a person no matter how small."
- Dr. Seuss
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 5:46:53 PM
At 4/3/2016 5:45:30 PM, Electrolance wrote:
At 4/3/2016 5:43:03 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

If they are girls, den sure.
http://cdn.meme.am...
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."
- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
Electrolance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 5:47:58 PM
At 4/3/2016 5:46:53 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

Again? Whatchyou be referencin' boi?
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 5:49:05 PM
At 4/3/2016 5:47:58 PM, Electrolance wrote:

Well, we've been getting a lot of trolls on this website. We've got plenty, in fact. I heard YouTube could use a little extra, why don't you go there?
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
Electrolance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 5:50:20 PM
At 4/3/2016 5:49:05 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

Well, we've been getting a lot of trolls on this website. We've got plenty, in fact. I heard YouTube could use a little extra, why don't you go there?

I'm just messin with ya bruh. I will be debating here too.
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 6:07:59 PM
At 4/3/2016 5:50:20 PM, Electrolance wrote:

Yeah, in other news, I heard our friends at Edeb8 could use some talented debaters, too. Why don't you give them a shot?
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 6:37:00 PM

Almost every atheist I've interacted with on this site hates Christianity and wants the religion eradicated, constantly ridiculing those who practice the religion.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 7:04:36 PM
At 4/3/2016 6:07:59 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

Yeah, in other news, I heard our friends at Edeb8 could use some talented debaters, too. Why don't you give them a shot?

You're far more of a fit for edeb8 than Electrolance
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 8:09:45 PM

I dislike the religion, and a fair number of the followers. Some are fine
MattTheDreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 8:38:46 PM
Shouldn't this be in the religious section?

Either way, no I do not hate Christians. It is illogical to hate someone simply because of their beliefs. However, if a christian acted in as way that I greatly disapproved of, that would give me cause to hate him, just like any other people.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 9:27:36 PM
At 4/3/2016 6:37:00 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Almost every atheist I've interacted with on this site hates Christianity and wants the religion eradicated, constantly ridiculing those who practice the religion.

*cough*
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 9:28:19 PM
At 4/3/2016 8:38:46 PM, MattTheDreamer wrote:
Shouldn't this be in the religious section?

Yes, yes it should. But Newlifechristian doesn't know that, or if he does, he doesn't care
Electrolance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 9:30:46 PM
At 4/3/2016 6:07:59 PM, NewLifeChristian wrote:

What's Edeb8?
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 9:55:34 PM
At 4/3/2016 6:37:00 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

I think you're spending too much time in the religion forum.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 10:21:23 PM
Yes. Almost anyone that is over 14 years old and believes an invisible omnipotent fairy spawned the world into exsistence is wasting air for the people that have the mental capacity to survive and properly populate the world.

This is almost a binary label of retards and educated persons with a small gap of exceptions
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 11:58:14 PM
To collectively condemn (or favor) "Christians" (which itself is exceptionally large and varied) is senseless. You have to take an individual approach to things like this. For example I can condemn the Westboro Baptist Church, and at the same time hold the bulk of Christians as a collective with indifference.
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2016 11:58:40 PM
At 4/3/2016 11:58:14 PM, Torton wrote:
To collectively condemn (or favor) "Christians" (which itself is exceptionally large and varied) is senseless. You have to take an individual approach to things like this. For example I can condemn the Westboro Baptist Church, and at the same time hold the bulk of Christians as a collective with indifference.
In general, though, no.
Jerry947
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 12:02:10 AM
At 4/3/2016 10:21:23 PM, Mikal wrote:
Yes. Almost anyone that is over 14 years old and believes an invisible omnipotent fairy spawned the world into exsistence is wasting air for the people that have the mental capacity to survive and properly populate the world.

This is almost a binary label of retards and educated persons with a small gap of exceptions

You are certainly no agnostic like you profile says.

But...you obviously have no clue about what religious people believe in.
The-Holy-Macrel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 11:57:49 AM
At 4/4/2016 12:02:10 AM, Jerry947 wrote:

You are certainly no agnostic like you profile says.

But...you obviously have no clue about what religious people believe in.

Wat?
The-Holy-Macrel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 11:58:56 AM

Haha, made you come look at my reply!
NewLifeChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 8:07:38 PM
Okay, for some reason this forum thread wasn't posted in the religion forum.

Continue on with your lives . . . Nothing to see here.
Pro-Life Quotes:

- Ronald Reagan

- Thomas Jefferson

- Dr. Seuss
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 11:29:41 PM

I dislike some of them, just as with every group. But not as a rule. I actually think that they get a lot of unwarranted crap from 'new atheist' douchenozzles.

Some the people whom I most admire (Khalil Gibran, Christopher Dawson, William Blake, Emily Bronte, T. S. Eliot, George Fox) have been Christians. I've also know Christians in my personal life whom I deeply admire for their quiet grace and integrity.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2016 11:46:24 PM
At 4/5/2016 11:29:41 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

I dislike some of them, just as with every group. But not as a rule. I actually think that they get a lot of unwarranted crap from 'new atheist' douchenozzles.

Some the people whom I most admire (Khalil Gibran, Christopher Dawson, William Blake, Emily Bronte, T. S. Eliot, George Fox) have been Christians. I've also know Christians in my personal life whom I deeply admire for their quiet grace and integrity.

There is a lot of knee jerk antagonism toward Christianity in the atheist community.

I think a lot of it can be attributed to the general rule that only the most vocal (or angry) people will seek out these types of communities. But part of it has to do with the fact that atheists are legitimately treated like garbage by a lot of Christians. A lot of atheists have bad stories about friends and family turned on them, or how they have to put up with religious pressure at work or school or home.

It is a mistake for atheists to be antagonistic to Christians in my opinion, but it i understand why that is.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 2:25:46 AM
At 4/5/2016 11:46:24 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 4/5/2016 11:29:41 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

There is a lot of knee jerk antagonism toward Christianity in the atheist community.

I think a lot of it can be attributed to the general rule that only the most vocal (or angry) people will seek out these types of communities. But part of it has to do with the fact that atheists are legitimately treated like garbage by a lot of Christians. A lot of atheists have bad stories about friends and family turned on them, or how they have to put up with religious pressure at work or school or home.

It is a mistake for atheists to be antagonistic to Christians in my opinion, but it i understand why that is.

I can understand why it is, but I definitely hold them responsible. A lot of times I think it runs deeper than that. I think that people who grow up religious ditch the trappings but keep the basic religious mindset in a lot of cases. They basically backwards rationalize Christian morality, and just choose different targets for the same exclusionary forces that they were subjected to. Extremists, in generally, are very ideologically promiscuous. They never really leave the hostility that they claimed to be escaping behind, they just redirect it until they can no longer see it within themselves.

"Though they seem to be at opposite poles, fanatics of all kinds are actually crowded together at one end. It is the fanatic and the moderate who are poles apart and never meet. The fanatics of various hues eye each other with suspicion and are ready to fly at each other's throat. But they are neighbors and almost of one family. They hate each other with the hatred of brothers. They are as far apart and as close together as Saul and Paul. And it is easier for a fanatic Communist to be converted to fascism, chauvinism or Catholicism than to become a sober liberal.

The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not. The atheist is a religious person. He believes in atheism as though it were a new religion. He is an atheist with devoutness and unction. According to Renan, "The day after that on which the world should no longer believe in God, atheists would be the wretchedest of all men."

[...]

It is doubtful whether the fanatic who deserts his holy cause or is suddenly left without one can ever adjust himself to an autonomous individual existence. He remains a homeless hitch-hiker on the highways of the world thumbing a ride on any eternal cause that rolls by. An individual existence, even when purposeful, seems to him trivial, futile and sinful. To live without an ardent dedication is to be adrift and abandoned. He sees in tolerance a sign of weakness, frivolity and ignorance. He hungers for the deep assurance which comes with total surrender -- with the wholehearted clinging to a creed and a cause. What matters is not the contents of the cause but the total dedication and communion with a congregation. He is even ready to join in a holy crusade against his former holy cause, but it must be a genuine crusade -- uncompromising, intolerant, proclaiming the one and only truth."
- Eric Hoffer, The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements - Sections 62 & 63 -
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Canuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 3:34:43 AM

No, I don't dislike Christians. It's rather ignorant for anyone to dislike everyone who simply has a different belief system.
There are obviously people who are Christians that I dislike, which may or may not be a direct result of their religious beliefs. Ultimately I have a problem with anyone who pushes their religion on others or use it to harm or take advantage of others. But I believe the majority of Christians are good people, even if I think some of their beliefs are crazy.
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2016 3:53:51 AM
At 4/6/2016 3:34:43 AM, Canuck wrote:

No, I don't dislike Christians. It's rather ignorant for anyone to dislike everyone who simply has a different belief system.
There are obviously people who are Christians that I dislike, which may or may not be a direct result of their religious beliefs. Ultimately I have a problem with anyone who pushes their religion on others or use it to harm or take advantage of others. But I believe the majority of Christians are good people, even if I think some of their beliefs are crazy.

And , as a Christian myself, there are Christians who I also dislike, not for their beliefs but because they want to impose it on others (especially through gov). Vice versa, there is a reason why some Atheists get a bad rap because of instances of targeting beloved traditions, prayer etc. that in reality harm no one.

I recently checked all the debates on voting period and at least 4 of them had to do with questioning atheists-on the 1st page. what is this trend?