Jump to topic:

Things You've Learned From DDO

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 4:04:47 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
What are some things, since joining this site, that you have learned from? This can also be a member related experience. Are there any specific members that have changed your view-points? Has DDO changed you as a person?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 4:13:32 PM
At 4/4/2016 4:04:47 PM, Rosalie wrote:
What are some things, since joining this site, that you have learned from? This can also be a member related experience. Are there any specific members that have changed your view-points? Has DDO changed you as a person?

Internet users are worse than I thought in expressing the Dark Tetrad traits. Also, atheists are extremely crude on the internet.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 4:19:37 PM
At 4/4/2016 4:13:32 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Internet users are worse than I thought in expressing the Dark Tetrad traits. Also, atheists are extremely crude on the internet.

Very true..
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 4:21:28 PM
I've learned that, unfortunately, we don't win anymore. We need a President who will win.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 4:22:24 PM
At 4/4/2016 4:21:28 PM, TN05 wrote:
I've learned that, unfortunately, we don't win anymore. We need a President who will win.

Preach
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 4:25:21 PM

I've learned that I disagree with most feminism. (obviously a joke)
I've learned a lot about economics. (hmm, wonder who?)
I've learned that people are very crude on the internet.
My positions have remained relatively the same, at least the important ones. Some inconsequential positions (EU, UN, etc.) might have shifted slightly, but overall, I haven't changed much.
I'm more opinionated and outspoken, but that's not exclusively due to DDO.
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 4:31:20 PM
At 4/4/2016 4:25:21 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

-.-

I agree with this. JMK was very eager to teach..he always took the time to respond to my idiotic questions regarding econ, lol.

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 4:46:30 PM

I've learned you are the best MC, from A to Z, ain't no controversy, my girl rosalie!

I've actually had all my beliefs when I joined completely flipped, thanks to several very intelligent members.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 4:49:06 PM
At 4/4/2016 4:46:30 PM, TUF wrote:

I've learned you are the best MC, from A to Z, ain't no controversy, my girl rosalie!

I've actually had all my beliefs when I joined completely flipped, thanks to several very intelligent members.

And I've learned you're the sweetest can be, even sweeter than me! :D

Yeah, I could say the same. What ideology were you when you first joined?

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 4:54:46 PM
At 4/4/2016 4:31:20 PM, Rosalie wrote:
At 4/4/2016 4:25:21 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

-.-

Lol

I agree with this. JMK was very eager to teach..he always took the time to respond to my idiotic questions regarding econ, lol.

Yeah, we had some great discussions. It's a pity he left.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 5:00:48 PM
You can check out of DDO anytime you like, but you can never leave.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 5:00:56 PM
At 4/4/2016 4:49:06 PM, Rosalie wrote:

I was a conservative, and was also religious at the time. I am now opposite on almost every issue except gun rights and death penalty maybe a select other few issues. I went from being a moral objectivist, to a subjectivist, to nihilist lol. I went from a Christian to an agnostic to an atheist. Yeah a lot has changed because of DDO. You?
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 5:02:20 PM

You're seriously spending way too much time in the religion forum if you think that's how all atheists behave. Not to mention, most religious people are extremely crude as well.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 5:07:31 PM
At 4/4/2016 5:00:56 PM, TUF wrote:

I was a conservative, and was also religious at the time. I am now opposite on almost every issue except gun rights and death penalty maybe a select other few issues. I went from being a moral objectivist, to a subjectivist, to nihilist lol. I went from a Christian to an agnostic to an atheist. Yeah a lot has changed because of DDO. You?

Lol, exactly the same. Before joining, I was extrreamly conservative, and I was actually a homophobic, and hated people who were pro-choice. I hated liberals in general. And yeah, my family is extreampy religious as I once was. But now I identify as a liberal and agnostic.

RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 5:11:04 PM
On a more serious note, I've learned it's often the case that the case the most arrogant, douchey people are the ones you can trust the most, it's the ones who come off as nice you need to watch out for.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
The_Great_Amalgam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 5:11:08 PM
DDO is like Tv Tropes, you waste hours when you enter it because you keep on going to other forums and debate.
Someone will think your opinion is the worst thing ever.
It will take a long time to reach one thousand posts at the speed I am going.
Juggle has forsaken us.
Forfeits are annoying.
Everyone is a better debater than you.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 5:29:30 PM
What are some things, since joining this site, that you have learned from?

You can benefit greatly off of the stupidity of others
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
The-Holy-Macrel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 5:45:28 PM

I am a lot better at arguing and trolling.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 5:46:16 PM
At 4/4/2016 5:11:08 PM, The_Great_Amalgam wrote:
DDO is like Tv Tropes, you waste hours when you enter it because you keep on going to other forums and debate.
Juggle has forsaken us.
Forfeits are annoying.

This is a terrible post, pretty much the worst opinions I've ever read.
The_Great_Amalgam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 5:47:31 PM
At 4/4/2016 5:46:16 PM, Raisor wrote:
Juggle has forsaken us.
Forfeits are annoying.

Can't tell if this is a joke or a terrible opinion.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 5:47:57 PM

I've learned it is very easy to unintentionally come off as a pretentious a-hole over text.
The-Holy-Macrel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 5:48:19 PM
At 4/4/2016 5:29:30 PM, imabench wrote:
What are some things, since joining this site, that you have learned from?

You can benefit greatly off of the stupidity of others

Yes, don't make their mistakes and gain a lot of
confidence once you realized when you are
insulted you have won an argument.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 5:48:27 PM
At 4/4/2016 5:47:57 PM, Raisor wrote:

I've learned it is very easy to unintentionally come off as a pretentious a-hole over text.

Lol, agreed.

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 5:49:37 PM
At 4/4/2016 5:07:31 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Lol, exactly the same. Before joining, I was extrreamly conservative, and I was actually a homophobic, and hated people who were pro-choice. I hated liberals in general. And yeah, my family is extreampy religious as I once was. But now I identify as a liberal and agnostic.

Did DDO change your beliefs?
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 5:52:48 PM
At 4/4/2016 5:49:37 PM, TUF wrote:
At 4/4/2016 5:07:31 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Did DDO change your beliefs?

Most definitely. I did a debate with bluesteel once on creationism vs. Evolution...that made me an agnostic.

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 5:59:33 PM
At 4/4/2016 5:47:31 PM, The_Great_Amalgam wrote:
Juggle has forsaken us.
Forfeits are annoying.

Why not both?
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 6:00:27 PM
At 4/4/2016 5:02:20 PM, Subutai wrote:

You're seriously spending way too much time in the religion forum if you think that's how all atheists behave. Not to mention, most religious people are extremely crude as well.

I actually never go to the religion forum.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 6:01:06 PM
At 4/4/2016 5:47:31 PM, The_Great_Amalgam wrote:
Juggle has forsaken us.
Forfeits are annoying.

Its pretty obvious its a joke
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 6:05:39 PM
At 4/4/2016 6:00:27 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 4/4/2016 5:02:20 PM, Subutai wrote:

I actually never go to the religion forum.

There's no other explanation for your classification of the vast majority of atheists on DDO as hating religion and being "extremely crude".
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2016 6:11:14 PM
It's hard to say exact things I learned. I think I've matured some since joining, and I've had a lot of experiences with other people I otherwise wouldn't have if I did other things and kept to myself.

In terms of ideological and belief change:

I've went from a (weak faith) sort-of-Christian to apatheist.

I've kind of become an anarcho-socialist, versus being a decently left-wing person when I started using the site.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King