Jump to topic:

A better plan for abolishing the presidency

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 5:37:31 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
I don't support the abolition of the presidency, but I understand the motivation behind it. As a person that has at times been really hateful of the government, I have researched several plans for destroying the government, and though I am aware that Bench is a more moderate abolitionist, who does not seek anarchy, I find his methods for abolition to be both weak and ineffective. I'll outline a realistic plan for abolition now, and I'll save my attacks on Bench's platform for later.

Anarchists don't Vote

Anarchists don't vote, and there is a very good reason for this. First and foremost is that it is hypocritical. It is hypocritical to say the presidency should not exist, while trying become the president. Put simply, if you do not agree with the office of presidency, I'd urge for a non-vote, if you want to be a hypocrite and place a vote anyway, then just vote "none of the above". That is not the strategy I am advocating for, just something for the non committal.

There is another reason that anarchists don't vote. No matter how radical the campaign, it always becomes moderate once a person is elected. This is what will occur with Bench as well. He will get elected, start doing direct democracy, and realize it doesn't work.

There are a ton of issues with DDO having a direct democracy, but just take the following example. Let's say that Imabench leads his first direct vote off. He has surrendered his authority to the crowds, now all it takes is one troll to spam everyone through PM at the last minute to get some troll policy passed. Forget the problem that now election season is basically happening on a weekly basis, doing the opposite of what most people who wish to abolish the presidency want.Now we have the realistic concern of Imabench that the political process is contaminated. He'll make reforms here and there to shore up the process, than more policies to fix those flaws, and before you know it, you have yourself a president.

There are too many examples of this occurring in history. Anarchists have gained power in the past to become moderates and not actually abolish the office of presidency, and Bench is no different, nor could he be different if he tried. He will win, and then he will be forced to president.

The Plan

Now we know what happens when you elect a radical abolitionist. They become a moderate president. There really is no avoiding it. Abolitionists may think a vote for an abolitionist president is a vote against the presidency, but it never works out that way.

There is only one way to really abolish the presidency, and that is not to acknowledge it. I call this the ignore it, until it goes away approach. If a president starts a list for tournaments, just ignore it because the president and his powers are imaginary. If an election comes around ignore it. If the president starts an op of the week contest, ignore the stickied thread.

If you do not consent to the system, than refuse to participate in the system. If the abolitionists all did this the presidency would become a joke, and be rendered useless, then it would just stop existing.
BlindBeliever
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 6:22:46 AM
At 4/8/2016 5:37:31 AM, Wylted wrote:
I don't support the abolition of the presidency, but I understand the motivation behind it. As a person that has at times been really hateful of the government, I have researched several plans for destroying the government, and though I am aware that Bench is a more moderate abolitionist, who does not seek anarchy, I find his methods for abolition to be both weak and ineffective. I'll outline a realistic plan for abolition now, and I'll save my attacks on Bench's platform for later.

Anarchists don't Vote

Anarchists don't vote, and there is a very good reason for this. First and foremost is that it is hypocritical. It is hypocritical to say the presidency should not exist, while trying become the president. Put simply, if you do not agree with the office of presidency, I'd urge for a non-vote, if you want to be a hypocrite and place a vote anyway, then just vote "none of the above". That is not the strategy I am advocating for, just something for the non committal.

There is another reason that anarchists don't vote. No matter how radical the campaign, it always becomes moderate once a person is elected. This is what will occur with Bench as well. He will get elected, start doing direct democracy, and realize it doesn't work.

There are a ton of issues with DDO having a direct democracy, but just take the following example. Let's say that Imabench leads his first direct vote off. He has surrendered his authority to the crowds, now all it takes is one troll to spam everyone through PM at the last minute to get some troll policy passed. Forget the problem that now election season is basically happening on a weekly basis, doing the opposite of what most people who wish to abolish the presidency want.Now we have the realistic concern of Imabench that the political process is contaminated. He'll make reforms here and there to shore up the process, than more policies to fix those flaws, and before you know it, you have yourself a president.

There are too many examples of this occurring in history. Anarchists have gained power in the past to become moderates and not actually abolish the office of presidency, and Bench is no different, nor could he be different if he tried. He will win, and then he will be forced to president.

The Plan

Now we know what happens when you elect a radical abolitionist. They become a moderate president. There really is no avoiding it. Abolitionists may think a vote for an abolitionist president is a vote against the presidency, but it never works out that way.

There is only one way to really abolish the presidency, and that is not to acknowledge it. I call this the ignore it, until it goes away approach. If a president starts a list for tournaments, just ignore it because the president and his powers are imaginary. If an election comes around ignore it. If the president starts an op of the week contest, ignore the stickied thread.

If you do not consent to the system, than refuse to participate in the system. If the abolitionists all did this the presidency would become a joke, and be rendered useless, then it would just stop existing.

Very well said. I applaud you and support this attitude in its entirety. Don't 'fight the power', deny the power the right to enter yoru mind.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 2:44:51 PM

The Plan

lol, you think the best way to abolish the presidency is to simply ignore it? Because DDO totally has a capacity to avoid drama they see as pointless rather than jump in on it....

Ignoring the presidency and its mayhem wont make it go away, the same way simply 'ignoring the trolls' doesnt make the trolls go away either..... By staying silent youre essentially condoning the activity by not speaking out against it or doing something to try to stop it, and telling abolitionists to "not vote" only plays into the hands of those who want to keep the presidency by getting rid of the faction that wants to uproot the entire system.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 1:30:43 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
I don't support the abolition of the presidency

Found it ^
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015