Jump to topic:

Concntration of posts to a few members

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 11:34:37 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
There are 2,366,793 posts at the time I write this total on the site. Look at the first page of the forum leaderboard alone. There are 545,864 posts on the first page of the leaderboard at it's last update. That means that 23.08% of posts were made by a certain 30 members - and the person who posted most ever isn't even on it. If YYW were added, and GeoLaurate taken out, that would be 23.89% of posts made by the top 30. Though, 13 of the top 30 aren't active. So about 10 to 12 percent of all posts in DDO history were made by the top 17 forum contributors who are active.

The point of this? Well, I think the problem is getting worse. I think we can fully expect small groups of members to increasingly dominate the forums. Looking at the politics forum, 90% of all of the rational discussion in it in the past month were probably made by about 10 members. The problem, specifically, is that the group needs to expand, or we risk boring ourselves with the same conversations.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 11:36:13 PM
You're right. The government should take over and redistribute the posts from those with the highest count to the lowest to create a fair and equal DDO.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 11:37:29 PM
At 4/8/2016 11:36:13 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
You're right. The government should take over and redistribute the posts from those with the highest count to the lowest to create a fair and equal DDO.

The Bish strikes back. Down the DDO Elite!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 11:40:49 PM
At 4/8/2016 11:34:37 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
There are 2,366,793 posts at the time I write this total on the site. Look at the first page of the forum leaderboard alone. There are 545,864 posts on the first page of the leaderboard at it's last update. That means that 23.08% of posts were made by a certain 30 members - and the person who posted most ever isn't even on it. If YYW were added, and GeoLaurate taken out, that would be 23.89% of posts made by the top 30. Though, 13 of the top 30 aren't active. So about 10 to 12 percent of all posts in DDO history were made by the top 17 forum contributors who are active.

The point of this? Well, I think the problem is getting worse. I think we can fully expect small groups of members to increasingly dominate the forums. Looking at the politics forum, 90% of all of the rational discussion in it in the past month were probably made by about 10 members. The problem, specifically, is that the group needs to expand, or we risk boring ourselves with the same conversations.

When you add in previous accounts and alternate accounts the number grows even higher I bet
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 11:40:51 PM

I do think that there is an emerging class of members recently. I think this would be an excellent conversation for the presidential candidates to have, instead of useless and trivial threads about who said this or that and he/she being bullies or trolls...very ridiculous
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 11:48:16 PM
At 4/8/2016 11:40:49 PM, imabench wrote:

When you add in previous accounts and alternate accounts the number grows even higher I bet

Definitely. I mean, YYW had 31,000. Badger had ~23,000. Rev had 13,000...I think Spinko's total is about 16,000. Drafted has an extra 2,000 in the Great/Powerful account. Bossy had 16,000 more.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2016 11:56:01 PM

#WORKERSOFTHEWORLDUNITE
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 12:12:55 AM
At 4/8/2016 11:56:01 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

#WORKERSOFTHEWORLDUNITE

https://patriotpostshop.com...
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 12:16:10 AM

Lol I was thinking this same exact thing too.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 12:24:16 AM

This means that new user outreach program is paramount; we need more new members to stay on the site and contribute.

Do you think this would warrant active advertising? Going out to other forum sites and asking people to join?
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 12:26:14 AM
At 4/9/2016 12:24:16 AM, Hayd wrote:

This means that new user outreach program is paramount; we need more new members to stay on the site and contribute.

Do you think this would warrant active advertising? Going out to other forum sites and asking people to join?

I don't think that's oft taken well, for better or for worse.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 12:57:52 AM
At 4/9/2016 12:26:14 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 4/9/2016 12:24:16 AM, Hayd wrote:

I don't think that's oft taken well, for better or for worse.

Regardless of public opinion
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 1:10:47 AM
I was curious, so I used the Wayback Machine to see if this is really a worsening problem.

In August of 2013, there were 387,000 posts by the top 30 users (Aug 1), and 1,233,573 posts total (Aug 3). This means that 31% of all forum posts were made by the top 30 users. I couldn't determine who was actually active at that time, but I think it's safe to assume that the posters still active at that time would still make up an enormous share of the posts.

Of course, this doesn't account for the fact that with more total users on the site and with many posters who have left over time, it's harder to appear as a larger share of the posts. If I put YYW into the stats in 2013 with the numbers he has now, and remove BlackVoid, he moves the post percentage of top users up a whole 2% in the 2013 data, as opposed to the .8% change he makes in 2016.

I think it's probably drama and vitriol that makes this site so tough to get integrated into.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 1:15:19 AM

What skews this so much, and all the "users" on this site, are the ad spammers.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 1:23:44 AM
What percentage of the top users are mafia players? Cause if youre in mafia games all the time then thats a hell of a way to rack up posts without actually interacting with other members on the site, and definitely could be part of the reason why so few users have such a big % of overall posts
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 1:38:53 AM
At 4/9/2016 1:23:44 AM, imabench wrote:
What percentage of the top users are mafia players? Cause if youre in mafia games all the time then thats a hell of a way to rack up posts without actually interacting with other members on the site, and definitely could be part of the reason why so few users have such a big % of overall posts

Good point
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 1:40:54 PM

You damn Pinkos.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2016 4:22:36 PM
Down with the 10%! We should have the government control all members most active in the forums and redistribute the post count to other, less active users!
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.