Jump to topic:

monogamy

fatdan33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2010 1:33:20 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Are we meant to be monogamist? Or is this a idea created from religions or other supposed moral structures. These structures have been around for so long that today there is an over whelming view of negativity associated with anyone who likes to have more than one partner of any kind.

Even though there is a large amount of scientific evidence that shows that as we become more sexually aroused, the area of our brains that help us make decisions based on moral judgment (regardless what you think is or is not moral) shut down more and more.

More and more I meet people who have no interest in finding one person to live out the rest of their lives with. And even the few that I do find still want, wish, they were still on the market regardless of how much they love their significant other. I am also finding many swingers out there. People who are happy in their relation ship, but they bring others into their bed (some times including their spouses some times not) just not anywhere else.

I think that while monogamy is possible, we (both men and women) are just built for more than that. Is it so bad to have several romantic relationships with two or three people. One might stay in your life for a longer period of time than the other or even a life time. Some might stay for a few months and then fizzle out just like any relationship (or marriage now a days). With all the people in the world "cheating" so to speak, wouldn't this way of thinking make so many people much more happy. more free. less midlife crises. If we changed that negative view to this situation to a positive would that be better for humans?
A fat kid to the fat end... are you going to finish that?
fatdan33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2010 8:21:41 PM
At 11/24/2010 9:28:28 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

hey thanks for making a contrabution to my discussion, your web link to your debate was very insightfull and made me rethink my whole perspective on the issue. Thanks again!
A fat kid to the fat end... are you going to finish that?
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2010 1:47:48 AM
At 11/24/2010 8:21:41 PM, fatdan33 wrote:

hey thanks for making a contrabution to my discussion, your web link to your debate was very insightfull and made me rethink my whole perspective on the issue. Thanks again!
wat
I miss the old members.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2010 1:50:59 AM
At 11/25/2010 1:47:48 AM, Atheism wrote:
At 11/24/2010 8:21:41 PM, fatdan33 wrote:

wat
he didn't get it.

FATDAN, PANDA WAS TELLING YOU THAT YOU ARE IN THE WRONG FORUM.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2010 2:00:48 AM
Western societies are really the only societies to frown upon polygamy so it does make me wonder that maybe it is natural, considering most other cultures practice it in one form or another.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2010 8:07:00 AM
Response to the OP: A lot of people will tell you that we're not biologically prone toward monogamy which is not entirely true. Long story short, essentially when you meet someone your brain responds in such a way that gets you interested, aroused, etc. basically acting as nature's aphrodisiac and giving you all kinds of good feelings to propel you toward a particular sexual partner. After being in a relationship for awhile, the way your brain responds to the person is different but not necessarily anti-monogamy. Instead you begin to prioritize other things over sex and establish a familiarity with them, etc.

When you meet new people, your brain responds in such a way that will probably entice you the same way you responded to your original partner, because your brain is in sex mode and attracts you to the person for certain reasons. The challenge is learning to realize why you're attracted and accept it, but acknowledge and respect that you've built a relationship on more than frivolous attraction. It's easy to succumb to sexual desire, but it's probably not worth it. Being in a relationship with one person is probably among the best dynamics for intimacy and minimizing fights. Because relationships require more than sex, I'd say people probably should not prioritize sex so much BUT that's their decision and much easier said than done.
President of DDO
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2010 9:30:25 AM
At 11/25/2010 7:55:40 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I actually think the point is that he DID get it and was being sarcastic...
Normally, on a forum like this, people make it a point to have good S&G when they are being sarcastic or something of that like.
With him, I can't tell.
I miss the old members.