Jump to topic:

What do we want this site to be?

debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 4:50:27 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
I'm so busy that I never have time to engage in actual debates. The one debate I wished to have with raisor ended in a forfeit because I have too much going on in my life to make commitments. That said, if I was actually an active user like I used to be, I would want this site to be a place where I could debate and talk about politics in the forums.

That's not what this site is at all though. Most political conversations with prominent members divulge into shitfests in no time at all, not to mention the fact that this site is plagued with two months of drama twice a year around every presidential election. Reading through thett's flamewars thread is just a reminder to me that debate is really a minuscule part of what this site really is. I see almost no prominent members here solely for debate and not for drama.

I feel guilty saying this, but it's entertaining as hell. However, this site has turned into something that I check in on every two months to have a laugh and then log off and go on with my life. I used to get some intellectual value from this website but now I get very little. Perhaps that is because I'm not looking hard enough for it, or perhaps that is because the members of this website spend more time fighting about what will facilitate intellectual discourse instead of just having intellectual discourse.

I want to be more active, and my debate season is over, so I should be able to do so. I make this thread because I want to see what others think. Are you happy with the level of drama this website has? And for those of you that don't debate frequently, what makes you stay here?

This thread isn't an attack on anyone. I just used to love this site very much and I think I learned many valuable debating skills. I feel that things have changed, but maybe I am out of touch.

Thoughts?
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 4:53:24 AM
At 4/18/2016 4:52:35 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 4/18/2016 4:50:27 AM, debatability wrote:
What do we want this site to be?

Yes.

Define yes, lol
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 4:55:55 AM
You have to get back into it. At a glance, the site looks like complete sh!t - and it may or may not be. But when you get involved the drama is easier to forgive.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 5:02:42 AM
Eh, just ignore the forums and it is fine :P
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 5:07:44 AM
At 4/18/2016 5:03:15 AM, YYW wrote:
There is not enough drama.

lmfao when I first logged in and saw the title of your airmax thread I freaked out.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 5:08:42 AM
At 4/18/2016 5:07:44 AM, debatability wrote:

lmfao when I first logged in and saw the title of your airmax thread I freaked out.

We need more drama. It's like crack. Gotta get that crack.
Tsar of DDO
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 5:09:52 AM
At 4/18/2016 4:55:55 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
You have to get back into it. At a glance, the site looks like complete sh!t - and it may or may not be. But when you get involved the drama is easier to forgive.

You're probably right. I remember when I was super active there was a shitfest involving ajab and myself and a few others, as well as loads of drama involving other prominent users.

I just wonder if the site would be better without all that, but I also fear the site could be kind of boring in the absence of drama.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 5:12:47 AM

Yeah, I need to become Jimtimmy's running mate again XD
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 5:40:11 AM
Working
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 6:25:09 AM
At 4/18/2016 5:40:11 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
Working

The polls section is arguably the most profitable section of the site. It attracts the greatest amount of one-time users, which in terms of ad-revenue is *key*, and I genuinely believe that Juggle will fix this part of the site before all else.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 6:33:13 AM
At 4/18/2016 6:25:09 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Working

The polls section is arguably the most profitable section of the site. It attracts the greatest amount of one-time users, which in terms of ad-revenue is *key*, and I genuinely believe that Juggle will fix this part of the site before all else.

Yet this "fixing" will occur years from now at this rate.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 3:55:32 PM
At 4/18/2016 6:25:09 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
Working

There is no doubt in my mind that this is true. Polls have better google results, get the fresh blood, and is the only truly unique offering. Juggle is foolish to let this section languish in its broken a$$ status.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 5:55:49 PM
What a throw back thread. Peacefulchaos and 16k are here.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 6:05:25 PM
A Site where everyone can get a long, and love each other. <3 ^.^
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 6:58:31 PM
I'm so busy that I never have time to engage in actual debates. The one debate I wished to have with raisor ended in a forfeit because I have too much going on in my life to make commitments. That said, if I was actually an active user like I used to be, I would want this site to be a place where I could debate and talk about politics in the forums.

That's not what this site is at all though. Most political conversations with prominent members divulge into shitfests in no time at all, not to mention the fact that this site is plagued with two months of drama twice a year around every presidential election. Reading through thett's flamewars thread is just a reminder to me that debate is really a minuscule part of what this site really is. I see almost no prominent members here solely for debate and not for drama.

I feel guilty saying this, but it's entertaining as hell. However, this site has turned into something that I check in on every two months to have a laugh and then log off and go on with my life. I used to get some intellectual value from this website but now I get very little. Perhaps that is because I'm not looking hard enough for it, or perhaps that is because the members of this website spend more time fighting about what will facilitate intellectual discourse instead of just having intellectual discourse.

I want to be more active, and my debate season is over, so I should be able to do so. I make this thread because I want to see what others think. Are you happy with the level of drama this website has? And for those of you that don't debate frequently, what makes you stay here?

This thread isn't an attack on anyone. I just used to love this site very much and I think I learned many valuable debating skills. I feel that things have changed, but maybe I am out of touch.

Thoughts?

She's right. Drama does seem to rise much more than usual around elections. This is another reason as to why we should abolish the presidency and install airmax as the supreme authoritative dictator of DDO!
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 7:06:28 PM
The kind of place where everybody knows your name,
and they're always glad you came~
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
Briannj17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 7:57:18 PM

Thoughts?

I'm happy the way it is. Perhaps because this is all I know, I haven't been here for that long. I have no debating experience whatsoever but I caught the hang of it pretty quick. I really like this site, after seeing how crappy other debating sites are. I am not very involved in the drama around here and I still find some intriguing debates to accept so everything I need in a site is here.
http://www.debate.org...
King of Poetry in this poem lacking era
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2016 8:21:19 PM

Thoughts?

I still crave having rigorous intellectual discussions with smart people. I wasn't getting enough of that here, which is why I'm not really on here anymore.

Part of it is that I've moved my interactions with some of my favorite members off-site. Some people know how to reach my on Facebook, for example, if they want to talk. The format of having live-messaging is just better for me. I don't like the feel of how interactions go in the forums.

Part of it is the relative absence of many of my favorite members from the forums. You, thett, raisor, whiteflame - your presence is felt less than in the past. And your interest in debates seems to have waned (although the Bergdahl debate looks interesting). Other close friends on the site drew more fondness from causing contention on the site than engaging in intellectual rigor. So the site lost a lot of its appeal to me.

You can't really fix the site, since it is composed of and dependent on its members and their participation. Honestly, I'm happy for you Debatability that you don't feel the need to be on here as much. I'm glad for anyone in that position, to the extent that they were on here due to feeling like there was a lack of intellectual discourse and/or social connection in their everyday lives. Your absence on here means that you found what you were looking for in a more consistent basis in your everyday offline life. And that's a great thing.

It's not that you can't satisfy part of your craving for intellectual discourse here on DDO. The internet can be a great place for that. But personally, I think the site has gotten a little too wrapped up in its own internal politics and in cheap inside jokes. There's a lot more out there.

If you want to fix the site, fix it on a personal level. If you get high-quality debates and discussions going, people will come back. The site itself could be absolute cr*p and people would still come if there were quality members here having interesting discussions.

But if it's not working for you, I'd say figure out who you want to stay in touch with from the site and make sure that happens. It's okay to go off-site with the friendships you've formed on here.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 12:51:57 AM
At 4/18/2016 8:21:19 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Thoughts?

I still crave having rigorous intellectual discussions with smart people. I wasn't getting enough of that here, which is why I'm not really on here anymore.

Part of it is that I've moved my interactions with some of my favorite members off-site. Some people know how to reach my on Facebook, for example, if they want to talk. The format of having live-messaging is just better for me. I don't like the feel of how interactions go in the forums.

Part of it is the relative absence of many of my favorite members from the forums. You, thett, raisor, whiteflame - your presence is felt less than in the past. And your interest in debates seems to have waned (although the Bergdahl debate looks interesting). Other close friends on the site drew more fondness from causing contention on the site than engaging in intellectual rigor. So the site lost a lot of its appeal to me.

You can't really fix the site, since it is composed of and dependent on its members and their participation. Honestly, I'm happy for you Debatability that you don't feel the need to be on here as much. I'm glad for anyone in that position, to the extent that they were on here due to feeling like there was a lack of intellectual discourse and/or social connection in their everyday lives. Your absence on here means that you found what you were looking for in a more consistent basis in your everyday offline life. And that's a great thing.

It's not that you can't satisfy part of your craving for intellectual discourse here on DDO. The internet can be a great place for that. But personally, I think the site has gotten a little too wrapped up in its own internal politics and in cheap inside jokes. There's a lot more out there.

If you want to fix the site, fix it on a personal level. If you get high-quality debates and discussions going, people will come back. The site itself could be absolute cr*p and people would still come if there were quality members here having interesting discussions.

But if it's not working for you, I'd say figure out who you want to stay in touch with from the site and make sure that happens. It's okay to go off-site with the friendships you've formed on here.

Just on the intellectual discussion bit, I can agree with that, though part of it may be because I don't really look around too much.
However, just a few hours ago, over teamspeak with some of my friends from the mystical "real world", I had anintellectual discussion on the effects of communism on other countries and how we responded, war, North Korea, and the current candidacy. These discussions, though they lasted no more than twenty minutes, had more intellectual thought than most of the forums I see on DDO.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 2:32:24 AM
Here's the deal: I like the hangouts.

Much as I think Airmax is a nazi, I do enjoy talking to him, and all the other people who join the hangouts, usually. I also like playing mafia.

This place was once somewhere to be cerebral. Now it's a place to chill out, in a way that I can do on a very low commitment basis, and entirely on my own terms.

For example, I know if I go out drinking with people, I always drink too much. That's why I don't like to go out drinking. But if I'm drinking with people in the hangout... I can stop exactly when I want to stop, and then go to bed.

But that's just one of many examples.

Yes, there is a lot of drama. Yes, there are a lot of people with petty, stupid feuds. Yes, there are people who get too caught up in policing other people and who are generally too fvcking uptight (whiteflame, I'm looking at you... there are others though).

But that stuff doesn't bother me...

Mostly what I'm looking for, in terms of intellectual discussion, I find with the people I work with, and my friends IRL. I just don't expect that from DDO anymore, but if some of the younger members stick around, I think that could change in a few years.

We have some very smart kids on this site, who I enjoy talking too.
Tsar of DDO
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 3:01:05 AM
At 4/18/2016 5:02:42 AM, 16kadams wrote:

Run for president, please.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 3:01:33 AM
At 4/18/2016 5:12:47 AM, 16kadams wrote:

Yeah, I need to become Jimtimmy's running mate again XD

Preempted.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
debatability
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 4:47:09 AM
At 4/18/2016 8:21:19 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Thoughts?

I think for the most part I've done that. I'm barely active and that is partially because if I want to debate I can just go to a debate tournament. I think that if more members were actively trying to debate and post about topics that interested me in the forums, I would probably be more active. However, I just don't have the time or level of care to make the initiative to instigate discussions like that myself because I have so many irl opportunities for intellectual conversations.

My debate season is pretty much over but I'm not quite sure I'll ever be able to bring myself to the level of activity I used to be at and honestly that's probably not the sites fault, but a reflection of my interests.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 4:59:52 AM
At 4/19/2016 3:01:05 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

Why, lol
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 5:25:08 AM
At 4/19/2016 4:59:52 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 4/19/2016 3:01:05 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

Why, lol

you're best

~ Skepsikyma <3

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 9:08:38 AM
At 4/19/2016 4:47:09 AM, debatability wrote:
I'm barely active and that is partially because if I want to debate I can just go to a debate tournament.

You really are lucky - if there were more debate tournaments around here I'd be on the site much less. I've literally debated only five individual debates (and won 4/5). It's partially because there's little or no room for debate among eighth-graders, but since my school year has just ended, I'll probably start debating in real life much more - which will definitely significantly reduce the amount of time I spend on the site.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass