To Love Another Person

SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 10:15:38 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
is to see the face of God - Les Mis

Heyo. I've mulled over how I should respond to the atmosphere on this site. I've thought about it for a while. I've tossed around lots of ideas for months; I've had several 4-5 page Word documents with discarded posts on the subject. They elucidated various ways that people could avoid drama, or stop it from getting worse, or create a better environment, yada yada yada. I found them all garbage upon giving them a post-type reading, and they found the recycle bin accordingly. I've concluded there is no "plan" that can make the site a utopia, and that to try to do so misses the point of DDO.

This post is a lot shorter than the others. I want to ask y'all to join me on a journey of reflection upon the site, and maybe learn a thing or two in the process.

Why did you join the site, and why the heck are you still here rather than doing literally anything else?
I joined for mafia. I have many fond memories of games with everyone from Khaos to Hatstand to PBG to yay842 to Beginner to FT to XLAV to Endark to Lannan to TN05 to Lucky to Raisor to Bsh to Ore_Ele and more. I was just as terrible then as I was now , but I had a great time forming acquaintance-ships with everybody through a shared love of the game. It wasn't until fall of this year that I started more seriously engaging with the site, primarily through Hangouts. There hasn't been a single experience in my life as intellectually stimulating as those. For all my clowning around, I have enjoyed learning a lot about the world, challenging my own assumptions, and interjecting with the best puns and raps known to man. Farm subsidies, philosophy, great book recommendations, economics, morality, debate skills... you name it, I probably learned at least one thing about it. I certainly didn't agree with everything--I'm still stubbornly anti-Trump, I make very weird justifications for bigger government using libertarian principles. But, what made those hangouts above all else were the colorful people with colorful things to say. ESocial, YYW, Rosalie, Budda, TUF, BOT, Airmax (peace be upon him), Uther, Lannan, 1harder, Vaarka, Bsh, Objectivity, Skep, 7th, FT, Raisor, Thett, bballcrook, someloser, OberHerr, Ryuu, Sam, Kazuto, TBR, Hayd, CodyFranklin (who is the most surprisingly coherent when drunk), Ajab, imabench, Beginner and so many others. These people all make the Hangouts an absolute joy that I spend countless hours of my life on. I can't even call it a waste of time because the friendships I've made are invaluable, and they've made me grow as a person. I've also grown to appreciate the forums as much more than a vehicle for mafia.

tl;dr I love the people here and I love what the site has done for me.

What does drama do to this experience?
What do you do when people you highly respect and value attempt to virtually rip out each others' throats? It is a frustrating conundrum. I've searched my brain numerous times on many occasions, and have consistently found myself unable to do a single thing to help make peace between others. Throughout my past year or so on the site, I've sat on the sidelines helplessly watching many tragedies unfold. People who could be great friends turn on each other, and I sit there and ask myself how it is that when everyone only seeks to be loved, there is so much hatred. But, it was then that I realized something. My sympathy and empathy (when someone fights a friend, they fight a piece of yourself, and the same is doubly so for two friends) for these fighters did not change a fundamental fact--those people still made my time on the site a highlight of my day despite all the conflict, and no amount of conflict will be able to change that. It's because you're all amazing people, and I'm grateful to share part of my life with you. None of you need to uphold your honor or prove yourselves right, because the friends you've made and the experiences you've had speak for themselves. I will always continue hoping that the senseless conflicts on this site since before my time will end, but they do not need to end for y'all to be recognized for what you are, which is this: awesome. I only wish that you all could see that for yourselves.

tl;dr Nothing; you guys will still be the same good people regardless.

So, what exactly is the point of DDO?

Why do I make stupidly long posts that no one in their right minds should ever read in the Politics section? I have a passion for learning, as everyone else does, and DDO is a place for growing in knowledge and thinking skills. It's also a place for growing together, a place for people with the same passions to meet and form meaningful friendships, and our shared experiences help us grow as people. Of course, this is my personal resonance. It will mean different things to different people, but we all find it valuable, or we wouldn't be here. Ultimately, though our love of knowledge binds us together. We are a community with many different ideologies, but through that one shared goal, we foster great bonds. My favorite conversations, in fact, are with the people most diametrically opposed to me. Confronting the opposing perspectives of people like bball and someloser and others requires me to take the hardest look at my personal beliefs. That I, a bleeding heart liberal, consider a far-righter and a I-don't-even-know-what-to-call-you, among my friends speaks volumes about the power of this site to bring people together, despite how things may often appear.

tl;dr To come together in the pursuit of knowledge and befriend those who also seek it.

We often take so much time worrying about the bad parts of our life that we let all of the great ones pass us by. I hope that this post helps some of you to remember that some of the most important things in life are the people we love and the joys we share. Also, the turkey is burning in the oven. You should probably take it out now, although it's not going to be salvageable. That's why you should always set the oven timer, and not leave it up to looking at the clock. I don't know what I'm going to do with you. I went out and did all of the shopping to make a nice Thanksgiving dinner, and now it's all ruined. Oh well; you're funny when you freak out. Don't sweat it, I've got the in-laws making one because I knew you'd probably hilariously fail... but... er... the turkey's still burning, so... go.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Dragon_of_Christ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 11:44:23 AM
At 4/22/2016 11:40:50 AM, XLAV wrote:
I come here to play Mafia.

1). Go into detail about what mafia is,.. please.

2). I have no idea why i am here, it seems a little hostile here...
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-
http://tinyurl.com...

Stupid atheist remarks #: 6
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 2:21:36 PM
At 4/22/2016 11:44:23 AM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:

If you go to the Games forums on this site feel free to poke around and ask, im sure someone will answer your questions

You came here at kind of an iffy time, there's a lot of pointless drama going down on here at the moment
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Dragon_of_Christ
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 2:27:09 PM
At 4/22/2016 2:21:36 PM, imabench wrote:

If you go to the Games forums on this site feel free to poke around and ask, im sure someone will answer your questions

You came here at kind of an iffy time, there's a lot of pointless drama going down on here at the moment

Should i not keep coming?
Jesus loves you.

////////////

-Funny Links-

Stupid atheist remarks #: 6
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 2:33:01 PM
At 4/22/2016 2:27:09 PM, Dragon_of_Christ wrote:
At 4/22/2016 2:21:36 PM, imabench wrote:

Should i not keep coming?

Maybe not into the main forum for a few hours but the rest of the site should roll out the welcome mat if you post something (except the Religion forum, avoid that)

Make a thread about something you think about, mention at the very beginning that youre a new member, see how it goes. 9 out of 10 times people will join in and chat
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 3:01:10 PM
There will always be "drama." I kind of don't like calling it drama because that makes it sound somehow exceptional or superfluous to the baseline activity of the site- it isn't. Drama is just people getting into disagreements, having clashes of personalities- it's totally normal social interaction that happens in all social settings. The goal of eliminating drama is futile and not even desirable in my opinion.

What is desirable is creating an atmosphere were personal conflicts are not allowed to spiral out of control and dominate the flavor of the site. We can have personal conflict without spats of multiple threads dominating multiple forums dedicated to the rivalry of the week. There are modes of social conflict we should try to eliminate, and that is a feasible goal.

As for why I am on the site...the reason has changed over the years. I think people are here for a lot of different reasons. I don't think a single goal or cause is what we all have in common, I think what we have in common is just the community space we occupy.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 3:14:55 PM
Thank you for the shoutout, Solon.

On "drama," I can easily see how it would be difficult to see some of the more serious things that have unfolded.

The problem with drama is that most members of this site do not know how to close conflicts, so they just kick the can down the road. Moderation encourages kicking the can down the road. Bad members think that making people shut up who are in conflicts solves the problem, but it only makes the problems worse

If (established) members' conflicts resolved themselves, without moderation intervention, most problems on the site would go away.
Tsar of DDO
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 3:32:52 PM
At 4/22/2016 10:15:38 AM, SolonKR wrote:

Well part of the problem is the personality of people drawn to debating. You are coming to a site where your purpose is to get in a verbal (okay written) match of wits with other equally... opinionated people. This is inevitably going to cause conflicts.

Add onto that the relatively young demographic of the site and the fact that many people are carry severe baggage in their lives (debating lets them vent and gives some of them a sense of justification) and you have a recipe for drama.

It waxes and wanes on here. You grow accustomed to ignoring it.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 3:46:01 PM

Heyo. I've mulled over how I should respond to the atmosphere on this site. I've thought about it for a while. I've tossed around lots of ideas for months; I've had several 4-5 page Word documents with discarded posts on the subject. They elucidated various ways that people could avoid drama, or stop it from getting worse, or create a better environment, yada yada yada. I found them all garbage upon giving them a post-type reading, and they found the recycle bin accordingly. I've concluded there is no "plan" that can make the site a utopia, and that to try to do so misses the point of DDO.

This post is a lot shorter than the others. I want to ask y'all to join me on a journey of reflection upon the site, and maybe learn a thing or two in the process.

Why did you join the site, and why the heck are you still here rather than doing literally anything else?
I joined for mafia. I have many fond memories of games with everyone from Khaos to Hatstand to PBG to yay842 to Beginner to FT to XLAV to Endark to Lannan to TN05 to Lucky to Raisor to Bsh to Ore_Ele and more. I was just as terrible then as I was now , but I had a great time forming acquaintance-ships with everybody through a shared love of the game. It wasn't until fall of this year that I started more seriously engaging with the site, primarily through Hangouts. There hasn't been a single experience in my life as intellectually stimulating as those. For all my clowning around, I have enjoyed learning a lot about the world, challenging my own assumptions, and interjecting with the best puns and raps known to man. Farm subsidies, philosophy, great book recommendations, economics, morality, debate skills... you name it, I probably learned at least one thing about it. I certainly didn't agree with everything--I'm still stubbornly anti-Trump, I make very weird justifications for bigger government using libertarian principles. But, what made those hangouts above all else were the colorful people with colorful things to say. ESocial, YYW, Rosalie, Budda, TUF, BOT, Airmax (peace be upon him), Uther, Lannan, 1harder, Vaarka, Bsh, Objectivity, Skep, 7th, FT, Raisor, Thett, bballcrook, someloser, OberHerr, Ryuu, Sam, Kazuto, TBR, Hayd, CodyFranklin (who is the most surprisingly coherent when drunk), Ajab, imabench, Beginner and so many others. These people all make the Hangouts an absolute joy that I spend countless hours of my life on. I can't even call it a waste of time because the friendships I've made are invaluable, and they've made me grow as a person. I've also grown to appreciate the forums as much more than a vehicle for mafia.

What do you do when people you highly respect and value attempt to virtually rip out each others' throats? It is a frustrating conundrum. I've searched my brain numerous times on many occasions, and have consistently found myself unable to do a single thing to help make peace between others. Throughout my past year or so on the site, I've sat on the sidelines helplessly watching many tragedies unfold. People who could be great friends turn on each other, and I sit there and ask myself how it is that when everyone only seeks to be loved, there is so much hatred. But, it was then that I realized something. My sympathy and empathy (when someone fights a friend, they fight a piece of yourself, and the same is doubly so for two friends) for these fighters did not change a fundamental fact--those people still made my time on the site a highlight of my day despite all the conflict, and no amount of conflict will be able to change that. It's because you're all amazing people, and I'm grateful to share part of my life with you. None of you need to uphold your honor or prove yourselves right, because the friends you've made and the experiences you've had speak for themselves. I will always continue hoping that the senseless conflicts on this site since before my time will end, but they do not need to end for y'all to be recognized for what you are, which is this: awesome. I only wish that you all could see that for yourselves.

Why do I make stupidly long posts that no one in their right minds should ever read in the Politics section? I have a passion for learning, as everyone else does, and DDO is a place for growing in knowledge and thinking skills. It's also a place for growing together, a place for people with the same passions to meet and form meaningful friendships, and our shared experiences help us grow as people. Of course, this is my personal resonance. It will mean different things to different people, but we all find it valuable, or we wouldn't be here. Ultimately, though our love of knowledge binds us together. We are a community with many different ideologies, but through that one shared goal, we foster great bonds. My favorite conversations, in fact, are with the people most diametrically opposed to me. Confronting the opposing perspectives of people like bball and someloser and others requires me to take the hardest look at my personal beliefs. That I, a bleeding heart liberal, consider a far-righter and a I-don't-even-know-what-to-call-you, among my friends speaks volumes about the power of this site to bring people together, despite how things may often appear.

tl;dr To come together in the pursuit of knowledge and befriend those who also seek it.

We often take so much time worrying about the bad parts of our life that we let all of the great ones pass us by. I hope that this post helps some of you to remember that some of the most important things in life are the people we love and the joys we share. Also, the turkey is burning in the oven. You should probably take it out now, although it's not going to be salvageable. That's why you should always set the oven timer, and not leave it up to looking at the clock. I don't know what I'm going to do with you. I went out and did all of the shopping to make a nice Thanksgiving dinner, and now it's all ruined. Oh well; you're funny when you freak out. Don't sweat it, I've got the in-laws making one because I knew you'd probably hilariously fail... but... er... the turkey's still burning, so... go.

Funny, I typed up a reply. And it seems to not have posted. I'll do again later
Kirigaya-Kazuto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 4:02:42 PM

^ that's me :D

#Don'tlookatDATXDUDE'sprofilebecauseyoureyeswillexplode ~ Petfish
#Treebrokethechurchbells ~ Discipulus_Didicit
Don't quote me ~fire_wings
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig. ~Seventh
Yes ~Vaarka
No ~Rosalie
Ya clown ~Solon
OSU! ~Vaarka
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 7:36:08 PM
I think the most important thing might have been buried in my wall of text, because I didn't intend this to be a drama-decrying thread, so I'll super tl;dr it.

"[Despite the drama], those people still made my time on the site a highlight of my day despite all the conflict, and no amount of conflict will be able to change that. It's because you're all amazing people, and I'm grateful to share part of my life with you."

"We often take so much time worrying about the bad parts of our life that we let all of the great ones pass us by. I hope that this post helps some of you to remember that some of the most important things in life are the people we love and the joys we share."
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 9:48:56 PM

I read your long post because you took the time to write something positive. I like this site because it's filled with seekers, and someday we'll be finders and keepers. I love that members with opposing views, still respect each other for the most part. DDO is unique. More than on any other website (other than soundclick) that I've taken time to frequently interact with others, DDO offers a venue for expanding my knowledge as well as destroying preconceived stereotypes that I may have harbored, even a little over a month ago, when I joined this site. I agree Solon, my time here is well spent.