Innomen's Presidential Interview

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 7:47:39 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
OreEle
This is an "official" invitation to a presidential interview. It will consist of several questions plus follow up questions to expand on answers. The interview can take whatever pace you are comfortable with. The only real guide is that it will end by Monday, November 29th at the latest.

Would you like to participate?

innomen
Sure (as my schedule permits). Are you conducting the interview? (I'm okay with that by the way.)

OreEle
Innomen, I don't seem to be able to locate a "platform" for your campaign. Do you have one? If you had one posted a few weeks ago, has it changed at all from it's original form?

innomen
My platform has always been one of both inclusion and preservation of excellence within this site. We do an exceptional job of keeping this place diverse in thought, but we also maintain the highest standards of discourse. I value the entrance of new comers here, and am willing to cut them some slack in getting acclimated, but i am also pretty protective of those things that some of the regulars come here for. This site is exceptional, and the people here are exceptional people, and it would be my pleasure to watch and participate in nurturing that exceptionalism. Not so much as a president but as a contributing member. === I have no illusions as to the meaning of this post, but rather value the process. We are self governing and nothing can be done to change that by anyone who is granted presidency, i understand that. Rather, we are electing a persona of who we would like to best represent DDO. - innomen.

OreEle
The ToS use pretty vague wording. If the ToS is held to the strictist definition of the words used, most members would likely have been banned. So how meaningful is saying "I support the ToS"? And how do you view the ToS and the limits it sets on its members? How far is too far? And how can that be comunicated to all the members, so that people know the boundries before they cross them?

innomen
I think the statement of "I support the ToS" is less a statement of the actual terms, but rather a general stance on conduct here. Although i completely respect Phil and the site's standards of conduct, such a statement of support isn't necessary. The exclusion of expletives on the site probably serves a greater purpose in keeping the discussions from devolving, and maintaining the overall standards of literate communication. On the issue of banning members; i feel this should be a last resort, and all efforts to use the social pressures that exist within our little community should be exercised. We do a good job at moderating ourselves, and there are enough people here to call out bad conduct or instances where our standards are not being adhered. I don't think that the ToS are too draconian as laid out, and those skilled in creative use of language should be able to make as much of a point within them as without them. I believe the main reason people are banned is for obvious violations of the ToS, and for being reported. The latter is a larger issue, and warnings should be made to the offender. The bottom line is, these limitations exist and we will and have lived with them. I believe two of the candidates running have been banned in the past and two have not, so our perspectives may differ somewhat.

OreEle
When the first survey came out, you did very well, however you did have a lot of people that had "no opinion" of you. Your recent conflict with Freedo of the Party party has brought a lot of publicity. Do you believe that this publicity is ultimately beneficial or detrimental to your campaign and image?

innomen
First, i have never cared much about my image, because i believe that if my behavior is good all else will fall in line. To worry about my image would turn me into a people pleaser and i have no interest in that. Secondly, the campaign activity that takes place has been within the interest of the objectives of both the site and the election. It was made clear that these elections are for fun, and any activity that i may have been part of or indeed sponsored has been ultimately to induce greater fun in the election. In all honesty i was surprised by Freedo's response, and the response of the party party. I thought they would step up and fire back which would produce greater interest and fun in the election. At this point the campaign activity has been minimal and boring. If i have miscalculated with this objective of heating up the election, i am fully prepared to deal with the consequences. Keep in mind i have never said anything personal about Freedo - as i think he's genuinely a good guy, and serves a purpose to the site.

OreEle
I thank you very much for your time in this interview. Is there anything you wish to add before this interview is finished?

innomen
Yes, yes i do actually. It's more about the nature of this election and the nature of DDO and what i hope to represent. First, if this election is simply a popularity contest then i would have nothing to do with it. As i would like to think that i do not actively look for the approval and acceptance of others, but would rather hope that it would simply work out that way. Instead i would like to think of the election as a fun activity within the site, and perhaps the president might be a symbol of who we are. And that then brings us to who we are...i look at DDO as a community, if not fellowship, of individuals who bring their unique individuality to be challenged or affirmed by other members in a respectful, often funny and almost always erudite forum. There is a level of excellence that we all are a part of, all enjoy, and all benefit from. Lastly, what i would hope to symbolize as a president, and the attributes of my run is my independence and my individuality. I ran as an independent because i truly abhor the unethical compromising nature of a party. By now all the regulars here know me, and my general make up, and those who don't know me are welcome to reach out to me. I am friendly to all (well mostly), and yet beholding to none. I look at those who drastically differ from who i am as an opportunity to learn more and understand others better, rather as an opportunity to go to battle. This i would like to think is what we at DDO are about. I love diverse opinion as long as it is coherent, and open to challenge. I also understand that the death knell to this site, and all sites like it is homogeneity. I would like to symbolize a harmony of variety that we find here at DDO.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ChristianM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2010 8:06:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/1/2010 7:47:39 PM, OreEle wrote:
OreEle
This is an "official" invitation to a presidential interview. It will consist of several questions plus follow up questions to expand on answers. The interview can take whatever pace you are comfortable with. The only real guide is that it will end by Monday, November 29th at the latest.

Would you like to participate?

innomen
Sure (as my schedule permits). Are you conducting the interview? (I'm okay with that by the way.)

OreEle
Innomen, I don't seem to be able to locate a "platform" for your campaign. Do you have one? If you had one posted a few weeks ago, has it changed at all from it's original form?

innomen
My platform has always been one of both inclusion and preservation of excellence within this site. We do an exceptional job of keeping this place diverse in thought, but we also maintain the highest standards of discourse. I value the entrance of new comers here, and am willing to cut them some slack in getting acclimated, but i am also pretty protective of those things that some of the regulars come here for. This site is exceptional, and the people here are exceptional people, and it would be my pleasure to watch and participate in nurturing that exceptionalism. Not so much as a president but as a contributing member. === I have no illusions as to the meaning of this post, but rather value the process. We are self governing and nothing can be done to change that by anyone who is granted presidency, i understand that. Rather, we are electing a persona of who we would like to best represent DDO. - innomen.

OreEle
The ToS use pretty vague wording. If the ToS is held to the strictist definition of the words used, most members would likely have been banned. So how meaningful is saying "I support the ToS"? And how do you view the ToS and the limits it sets on its members? How far is too far? And how can that be comunicated to all the members, so that people know the boundries before they cross them?

innomen
I think the statement of "I support the ToS" is less a statement of the actual terms, but rather a general stance on conduct here. Although i completely respect Phil and the site's standards of conduct, such a statement of support isn't necessary. The exclusion of expletives on the site probably serves a greater purpose in keeping the discussions from devolving, and maintaining the overall standards of literate communication. On the issue of banning members; i feel this should be a last resort, and all efforts to use the social pressures that exist within our little community should be exercised. We do a good job at moderating ourselves, and there are enough people here to call out bad conduct or instances where our standards are not being adhered. I don't think that the ToS are too draconian as laid out, and those skilled in creative use of language should be able to make as much of a point within them as without them. I believe the main reason people are banned is for obvious violations of the ToS, and for being reported. The latter is a larger issue, and warnings should be made to the offender. The bottom line is, these limitations exist and we will and have lived with them. I believe two of the candidates running have been banned in the past and two have not, so our perspectives may differ somewhat.

OreEle
When the first survey came out, you did very well, however you did have a lot of people that had "no opinion" of you. Your recent conflict with Freedo of the Party party has brought a lot of publicity. Do you believe that this publicity is ultimately beneficial or detrimental to your campaign and image?

innomen
First, i have never cared much about my image, because i believe that if my behavior is good all else will fall in line. To worry about my image would turn me into a people pleaser and i have no interest in that. Secondly, the campaign activity that takes place has been within the interest of the objectives of both the site and the election. It was made clear that these elections are for fun, and any activity that i may have been part of or indeed sponsored has been ultimately to induce greater fun in the election. In all honesty i was surprised by Freedo's response, and the response of the party party. I thought they would step up and fire back which would produce greater interest and fun in the election. At this point the campaign activity has been minimal and boring. If i have miscalculated with this objective of heating up the election, i am fully prepared to deal with the consequences. Keep in mind i have never said anything personal about Freedo - as i think he's genuinely a good guy, and serves a purpose to the site.

OreEle
I thank you very much for your time in this interview. Is there anything you wish to add before this interview is finished?

innomen
Yes, yes i do actually. It's more about the nature of this election and the nature of DDO and what i hope to represent. First, if this election is simply a popularity contest then i would have nothing to do with it. As i would like to think that i do not actively look for the approval and acceptance of others, but would rather hope that it would simply work out that way. Instead i would like to think of the election as a fun activity within the site, and perhaps the president might be a symbol of who we are. And that then brings us to who we are...i look at DDO as a community, if not fellowship, of individuals who bring their unique individuality to be challenged or affirmed by other members in a respectful, often funny and almost always erudite forum. There is a level of excellence that we all are a part of, all enjoy, and all benefit from. Lastly, what i would hope to symbolize as a president, and the attributes of my run is my independence and my individuality. I ran as an independent because i truly abhor the unethical compromising nature of a party. By now all the regulars here know me, and my general make up, and those who don't know me are welcome to reach out to me. I am friendly to all (well mostly), and yet beholding to none. I look at those who drastically differ from who i am as an opportunity to learn more and understand others better, rather as an opportunity to go to battle. This i would like to think is what we at DDO are about. I love diverse opinion as long as it is coherent, and open to challenge. I also understand that the death knell to this site, and all sites like it is homogeneity. I would like to symbolize a harmony of variety that we find here at DDO.

Hear hear!!