Jump to topic:

policy proposals/ passing the torch

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 2:21:01 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
General Goodbye: http://www.debate.org...

Personal Goodbyes: http://www.debate.org...

I am quitting the site for a while. I have a bunch of personal stuff going on, and have tried to fit the site into my life, but come to the realization that I was overextending myself. Rosalie will be taking over my campaign, but more importantly I want to address just a few of the changes I would like to see in the site, the rest of the changes I want to see are in a google doc that my team has been working on for several weeks, so we would have the most thorough thought out platform of the campaign.

Voting Moderation

A conversation that is going on elsewhere so will touch briefly. I am against the current vote moderation, and would like to see a system similar to edeb8's or more realistically a free for all, where we can stop alienating the less knowledgeable and newer members.

Moderation

There are a ton of things I like about Airmax's moderation, but I'd like to see more moderators. Not ones that report back to Airmax and ask permission to take action, which destroys the point of having more mods, but ones that are highly trustedand can act independently.

I'd like to see an active effort to change the culture of the site by mods. Them using their authority and influence to guide conversations so flamewars are a thing of the past, and intelligent discussion dominates the forum. The mod can just straight up ask people to stop being idiots, and I would encourage a rule of no "one line posts". All posts should actually contribute to a conversation. The rule can be enforced in a hard manner, and by physically going in and removing one line posts. I've seen other forums successfully implement this, and do fine.

The religion section should be moderated heavily until it also conforms to being a place for intelligent discussion.

Juggle

Juggle's goals are opposite of our own. They want profitability. They are good at drawing in fly by night users, but suck at creating an environment for intellectual discussions. My goal is to learn about coding and set up a clone site to accomplish that. It may be just a pipe dream right now, but this community needs to be uprooted and moved to a site conducive to it's needs, and not edeb8. Edeb8 is not user friendly, and it is not good at drawing in new users. It's a dead zone. It needs to be uprooted to a site who's main purpose is not profit, but intellectual discussion and debate.

Strategies to draw in new intelligent users and creating a good environment are many, but they are only implemented at the grassroots here, which makes them unsustainable. Just off the top of my head, actual occasional prizes. more rankings than just elo and the leaderboards. Giving virtual prizes and other methods used by the gaming industry to addict people.

Presidential Duties

I've talked about this before, but the president should not be a leader. I think DK/Tuf want to be leaders of the site. They want to inspire, and make changes. This is also where BSH1 went wrong. I like several of his programs, but he overextended himself due to trying to be a leader.

Imabench has the right ideal by talking about direct democracy, but he substitutes rule of a leader by rule of the masses, something even worse. Now obviously all policies being considered should be debated publicly, every good point in that public debate should be considered, but allowing a few passionate individuals who are good at recruiting voters to control every decision is not a good ideal. The passionate side is not always the correct side, and we need some leadership in determining what policies meet everybody's needs the best.

The president needs to do most of the work behind the scenes, she should recruit teams to put together projects. They should have these teams keep them updated on their progress, so the president can keep the public informed of the good things happening. The president should be a focal point of bringing great people together to do wonderful things. The president should be the sober voice in to forward the will of the people.

The only campaign that is going to fulfill the role of president properly is Rosalie's. This is why despite not having a dog in that race, I still support that ticket. It is why everyone else should vote for them as well.

I hope that the respective sides of DDO will come together to help Rosalie in her presidency when she wins.

Why Rosalie Will be the next president

The presidential race in DO has changed a lot recently. You can no longer look at polls to see who will win. You need to look at the attributes of each campaign. Like it or not Imabench and DK are both lazy campaigns. Part of winning now is to be able to spam voters, which is where at least 75% of where the total vote is coming from. Imabench stands a greater chance of winning than DK though, as his supporters are more passionate and may do more of the work for him.

There is another thing to consider in terms of their laziness, in campaigning. The sitting back and hoping things just work out for the best. While they are happy with the numbers on the polls answered by the same group of 50 people, they are ignoring and falling behind in the ignored demographics. Realistically if all campaigns work really hard, than there could be a total of 300 votes. That is 250 people not responding to those polls being ignored. While Dk and Bench are hoping for the best, Rosalie is talking to 5 new members a day in that demographic about why they should vote for her. As long as she continues to do that, she'll beat the lazy campaigns. She'll lose if they stop being lazy or she shirks her agreement to talk to 5 new people a day, but I don't see either happening.

Vote for Rosalie because she better embodies what the role of president should be, vote for he because she is running a superior campaign, and vote for her, because her platform is just far better than any platform of any candidate ever to run for DDO president.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 3:38:38 AM
Thanks Wylted.

I'm sad to see you go.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 3:27:30 PM
At 5/3/2016 2:21:01 AM, Wylted wrote:

Why Rosalie Will be the next president

lol XD

There is another thing to consider in terms of their laziness, in campaigning. The sitting back and hoping things just work out for the best. While they are happy with the numbers on the polls answered by the same group of 50 people, they are ignoring and falling behind in the ignored demographics.

*fails to list a single demographic*

Realistically if all campaigns work really hard, than there could be a total of 300 votes. That is 250 people not responding to those polls being ignored. While Dk and Bench are hoping for the best, Rosalie is talking to 5 new members a day in that demographic about why they should vote for her.

Talking =/= convincing. Rosalie isnt capable of convincing people about anything, and she had actually done the least for your campaign while you were still running.

Vote for Rosalie because she better embodies what the role of president should be, vote for he because she is running a superior campaign,

She doesnt even have a platform to run on.

and vote for her, because her platform is just far better than any platform of any candidate ever to run for DDO president.

Its pretty clear youre just trolling at this point
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 4:21:37 PM
At 5/3/2016 3:38:38 AM, Rosalie wrote:
Thanks Wylted.

I'm sad to see you go.

Do you agree with Wylted on voting standards?
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 4:24:39 PM
At 5/3/2016 4:21:37 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/3/2016 3:38:38 AM, Rosalie wrote:
Thanks Wylted.

I'm sad to see you go.

Do you agree with Wylted on voting standards?

We are still discussing this. Whilst these are Wylted's personal views, our campaigns views are still being confirmed at the moment.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 4:25:27 PM
At 5/3/2016 3:27:30 PM, imabench wrote:

Correction: She hasn't revealed her platform yet but plans to do so by Thursday.
John Galsworthy
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 4:27:05 PM
At 5/3/2016 4:25:27 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Correction: She hasn't revealed her platform yet but plans to do so by Thursday.

Ill clear my schedule so that I have all day to tear it apart. Thanks for the heads up <3
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 4:27:55 PM
At 5/3/2016 4:27:05 PM, imabench wrote:
At 5/3/2016 4:25:27 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Ill clear my schedule so that I have all day to tear it apart. Thanks for the heads up <3

Lol. Good luck with that.
John Galsworthy