Jump to topic:

**Unofficial DDO Debate of the Week Program**

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 5:33:41 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
I'm creating an unofficial exercise on DDO called "Debate of the Week." I got this idea after concerns were raised about less quantity and quality of debates on DDO. So, essentially, this is how it works. There's a sign up. #1 on the sign-up is for the first week (today - Saturday, 7th May), #2 is on the second week (Sunday, 8th May - Saturday, 14th May), and so forth. When one's name comes up on the sign-up list, the person has 24 hours to instigate a debate challenge with a serious, non-troll topic which will attract a major audience wanting to accept. The person then has to pick an opponent who will likely not forfeit.

Members interested in instigating should meet at least ONE of these two criteria:

(1) They should have at least an Elo of 2500 AND at least 10 non-forfeit debates with 3 rounds or more each;

OR

(2) They should have participated in one beginners' tournament or regular tournament where they engaged only in non-forfeit debates.

I will accept other applications on a case-by-case basis.

For now, I'm looking for six sign-ups.

Sign-Ups

1. Famousdebater (reserved)
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 5:35:19 PM
Also:

Opponents must also meet one of these two criteria.

NOTE: I reserve the right to veto any applications.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 5:45:46 PM
I guess I qualify for point two, so count me in.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 6:21:36 PM
Sign-Ups

1. Famousdebater
2. lannan13
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 6:22:00 PM
Famousdebater has 24 hours to post his debate challenge.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 6:23:27 PM
At 5/3/2016 6:21:36 PM, tejretics wrote:
Sign-Ups

1. Famousdebater
2. lannan13
3. Rosalie
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 6:24:44 PM
Sign-Ups

1. Famousdebater
2. lannan13
3. Rosalie

Sign-ups are closed. For the next applications, I will PM people.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 6:28:41 PM
I am already working on a debate of the month program, as I have noted in previous updates...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 6:29:28 PM
At 5/3/2016 6:28:41 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I am already working on a debate of the month program, as I have noted in previous updates...

Nvm.

Misunderstood the purpose of this. This is why you need to read the OP, bish.

Sorry, Tej.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 6:30:55 PM
REVISION

Upon consideration, I have decided that there be *two* debates taking place per week, so as to inflate the number of quality debates even further.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 6:31:56 PM
Sign-ups have reopened.

Week 1

1. Famousdebater - has 24 hours to set up challenge
2. Lannan13

Week 2

3. Rosalie

Week 3

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 6:32:42 PM
At 5/3/2016 6:30:55 PM, tejretics wrote:
REVISION

Upon consideration, I have decided that there be *two* debates taking place per week, so as to inflate the number of quality debates even further.

So a famous, and Lannan will be going at at same time?

Also, can anyone accept our debate challenges, or do they have to meet 1 of the 2 requirements?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 6:33:41 PM
At 5/3/2016 6:32:42 PM, Rosalie wrote:
REVISION

Yes. Lannan has a bit more time to open his challenge.

Also, can anyone accept our debate challenges, or do they have to meet 1 of the 2 requirements?

No, they have to meet one of the two requirements - see post 2.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 6:34:24 PM
At 5/3/2016 6:33:41 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/3/2016 6:32:42 PM, Rosalie wrote:
REVISION

Yes. Lannan has a bit more time to open his challenge.

No, they have to meet one of the two requirements - see post 2.

Oops, my bad. Sorry!

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 8:52:51 PM
I qualify, I'm doing week 2.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 8:53:43 PM
I'm doing my choose the debate topic, but instead, I'm going to make the topic.

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 8:56:56 PM
At 5/3/2016 5:33:41 PM, tejretics wrote:

I thought you had to be president to do stuff like this... :P
Jk, great idea, Tej. :)
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 8:58:16 PM
At 5/3/2016 8:56:56 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

well, are you going to do it?

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 9:12:42 PM
At 5/3/2016 8:58:16 PM, fire_wings wrote:
At 5/3/2016 8:56:56 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

well, are you going to do it?

Not at the moment. I'll probably see if I can get some of the debates to vote on in the VU.
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Seagull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 9:46:43 PM
I'm creating an unofficial exercise on DDO called "Debate of the Week." I got this idea after concerns were raised about less quantity and quality of debates on DDO. So, essentially, this is how it works. There's a sign up. #1 on the sign-up is for the first week (today - Saturday, 7th May), #2 is on the second week (Sunday, 8th May - Saturday, 14th May), and so forth. When one's name comes up on the sign-up list, the person has 24 hours to instigate a debate challenge with a serious, non-troll topic which will attract a major audience wanting to accept. The person then has to pick an opponent who will likely not forfeit.

Members interested in instigating should meet at least ONE of these two criteria:

(1) They should have at least an Elo of 2500 AND at least 10 non-forfeit debates with 3 rounds or more each;

OR

(2) They should have participated in one beginners' tournament or regular tournament where they engaged only in non-forfeit debates.

I will accept other applications on a case-by-case basis.

For now, I'm looking for six sign-ups.

Sign-Ups

1. Famousdebater (reserved)

I guess I cant accept any of these debates because I do not meet the criteria.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 10:15:49 PM
At 5/3/2016 9:46:43 PM, Seagull wrote:

You can appeal to tej since the standards aren't rigid, final decision is up to him. He ought to let you in given your substantial contribution record thus far
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2016 10:27:04 PM

Like Hayd said, talk to Tej. I'm nearly certain he'll let you take one.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 3:12:53 AM

I can make an exception for you. The purpose of the criteria is to ensure that the people who join can construct a proper argument with sources - and you, obviously, can do that, so you're in.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 4:05:39 AM
At 5/4/2016 3:12:53 AM, tejretics wrote:

I can make an exception for you. The purpose of the criteria is to ensure that the people who join can construct a proper argument with sources - and you, obviously, can do that, so you're in.

*thumbs up* :)
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 5:20:12 AM
At 5/3/2016 8:52:51 PM, fire_wings wrote:

Your application is vetoed since I can't send you any messages.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 6:24:23 AM
At 5/4/2016 5:20:12 AM, tejretics wrote:

Are we able to debate someone, that has already signed-up for this program? For instance, may I take this, as apart of the program?

http://www.debate.org...

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 11:18:52 AM
At 5/4/2016 6:24:23 AM, Rosalie wrote:
At 5/4/2016 5:20:12 AM, tejretics wrote:

Are we able to debate someone, that has already signed-up for this program? For instance, may I take this, as apart of the program?

http://www.debate.org...

The debate isn't a part of the program. You can take this, but it has nothing to do with the program. Fire's application was vetoed.
SkyLeach
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 11:43:35 AM
interesting

I'll participate if you'll have me.
Math is just another language, however one without analogy.

- http://arxiv.org...
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2016 12:20:09 PM
At 5/4/2016 11:43:35 AM, SkyLeach wrote:
interesting

I'll participate if you'll have me.

Alright.