Jump to topic:

**1harder Presidential Bid Announcement**

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 4:54:50 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Hello, members of DDO. In light of recent events, I have decided to throw my hat in the race for the Presidency. I am not here to run a campaign of mere status quo, or community building. My main goal if elected is to redefine the Presidency.

The DDO Presidency was formerly a liaison to Juggle, before they stopped even interacting with the President. Since then, the position has functioned as a community builder - and some may just call it a popular figurehead. I want to move the focus of the Presidency from community building to a more moderation-centric position, with goals for more visible change and not just being that popular member with a title. If the Presidency is to survive, it must be redefined in this way.

I know the ins-and-outs of this site very well. I worked with the current President in his first term and became an official adviser for his second. I've been active in Hangouts, and the friends I have made here have given me a wide range of views and theories on site issues like the Presidency, giving me ample information to form opinions. I am most confident on this - I know what I am doing.

The Presidency is in the unique position to be an elected advisor to Airmax on discipline, policy, and the selection of moderators. My campaign would take advantage of this. Destroying the presidency would take away a valuable role. Ending the presidency would destroy this valuable role, and my competitors have chosen to focus on different issues entirely. However, 28% of members, according to Bsh"s midterm survey, think the Presidency is in touch, but not moderators. 12% of members think the mods are in touch, but not the Presidency. And 4% say neither are in touch. I want this 44% that have problems with mods, the President, or both to shrink to a much lower number. As President, this will be a focus point from election day, to the day I leave office.

In the case of a candidate being elected who will focus on this role, I believe we can restore some lost meaning to the position. That is not to say I do not appreciate the community work of Bsh - in my opinion, it was indeed fine work. I do not anticipate any trouble on my part in continuing to run his programs.

For the abolitionists, I want to restore value to the office Imabench seeks to end. Undoubtedly, I will be met with opposition from his supporters. However, my ideas are not completely incompatible with those of his supporters, who seek a laissez-faire experience. In many ways, I agree that this site needs to be free in its activity. But I think that there will be a lack of community building if the Presidency is removed. Outreach to the unknown members is my main concern in regards to this. Outreach is not a very glamorous job, and I highly doubt anyone will do it if not a President's administration. And since my chief of staff ran the member outreach, it should be noted that potential members can be lost if they are only muddling around in the polls section for a few days - turned away by a buggy part of the site and not a very intellectually acclaimed section, either. Instead, we should bring them up through outreach and mentorship, which helps them grow intellectually as users of the site. My point for all of the abolitionists: what's the harm? If value can be brought to the position, this drama regarding the Presidency can be a thing of the past. From small to ambitious programs, community building can do a lot of good, and not any measurable harm. More on the good things that can be done for the community later.

Airmax and I are on rather agreeable terms, and I am confident I would work well with him. I know there are a lot of members who have problems with moderation - I think my Presidency can eliminate the reservations people have with the site establishment lately.

To do that, I plan on involving everyone who is willing to send me a PM and talk to me in my actions as President. There are many places to make improvements on - whether it be vote moderation, conduct policy, singular moderation decisions, or whatever - if I work personally to make sure those feeling out of the loop have a voice, they won't be calling for abolition in 6 months. At the very least, they won"t call for it in the same volume. As a site, we can take advantage of the opportunity to be involved in moderation through the Presidency - but only if we come together in a large enough group. I do not think I can switch 40-50 percent of the site's mind in a day, but I will work my hardest to end the madness that is our site Presidency by making use of it in a way all can agree with.

Next, my Vice President: SolonKR. Solon is, in my opinion, the epitome of a good member. He is active in the mafia community, and is well-liked. He"s improved as a debater through beginner's tournaments (he won two). Aside from his activity in mafia and debating, he's active in Hangouts - and he's always held himself to a high standard of conduct.

Hayd will be my chief of staff. As a member, he has grown quite astoundingly in a mere eleven months, growing from a noob through the beginner's tournaments into a solid debater and reliable voter. He has shown the willingness to improve, and with the help of some more senior members was able to become a good part of our community. Hayd has run the new member outreach program for the past few months, and I hope he can continue his good work under my administration.

Overall, my platform will follow this guide:

1. Take advantage of the President's position to advise Airmax on moderation issues, and make this the focus of the President. I would also like to incorporate what has been for the past several months the opposition into my administration to provide separate thought processes to better represent the wants and needs of the overall community.

2. Continue the good programs of the Bsh1 administration. Expand programs such as member outreach, and make the community building of the Presidency more efficient. I plan on merging initiatives that I find redundant, such as community affairs and forums/polls issues, as well as user outreach and new user mentorship.

3. Create a new teaching program, led by Solon, as an overhaul to our current mentoring and coaching system. I think that he and Hayd can work well together on this program, so it can grow and bring us solid members.

Now, I want to elaborate on the outreach and teaching program. With proper delegation, I want to run this program so mentors don't get burnt out, and enough new members can establish themselves on the site. I want a good group of mentors to take one or two new members at the most, so they can put some time into the relationship, increasing member retention. After a few months, they will be more in tune with the site - whether they were mentored in debate, mafia, or just how to be a better member in general - and more involved in the community. You get people invested by making it more personal and taking it slow. I don't need to pump out 50 members a month - 45 of whom fizzle out quickly, 4 might stay a few weeks, and 1 might work out once in a blue moon. If I have 10-15 members taking 1-2 members each for a few months at a time, they will form bonds on the site more often and stick around. This is our site, and if everyone works together on just this project, the continued success of our site, and its debating, Hangouts community, mafia community, etc. is ensured.

(Continue to next post)
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 4:55:53 AM
If elected, I promise involvement with the community and and with moderation, and a drive to address issues that harm this community. We are debaters. We want a site that that focuses on debating, freedom, and having fun with each other at the end of the day - despite our various disagreements. Thank you for reading, and I hope you support this campaign in the coming months.

---

Now, let the games begin. This thread can be used for any questions voters have - I will elaborate on anything upon request.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:07:58 AM
At 5/5/2016 4:55:53 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
If elected, I promise involvement with the community and and with moderation, and a drive to address issues that harm this community. We are debaters. We want a site that that focuses on debating, freedom, and having fun with each other at the end of the day - despite our various disagreements. Thank you for reading, and I hope you support this campaign in the coming months.

---

Now, let the games begin. This thread can be used for any questions voters have - I will elaborate on anything upon request.

What are you going to do about all the site bugs, specifically the poll ones?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:10:54 AM
At 5/5/2016 5:07:58 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

---

Revolt against Juggle, of course.

Seriously, though - if I were to in some universe be able to contact Juggle, bug fixes would be the first priority, but I don't see the use in fretting over what is out of even Max's hands.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:11:44 AM
This isn't going to going to go well...
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:12:35 AM
Heyo, DDO!
I'm hyped for this; we look forward to a nice, clean campaign.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:12:40 AM
At 5/5/2016 5:11:44 AM, Rosalie wrote:

I know what I'm getting into. Don't worry - I'm prepared.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:12:56 AM
At 5/5/2016 5:10:54 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

---

Seriously, though - if I were to in some universe be able to contact Juggle, bug fixes would be the first priority, but I don't see the use in fretting over what is out of even Max's hands.

What are you going to do about the unprecedented hostility among members lately?

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:14:06 AM
At 5/5/2016 5:12:40 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I know what I'm getting into. Don't worry - I'm prepared.

That isn't what I'm talking about. As a DDO president, you need to be someone, tbay people can look up-to, and and seek help from, and be on good grounds with members, do you think that you're capable of doing so?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:19:12 AM
At 5/5/2016 5:12:56 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 5/5/2016 5:10:54 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

---

What are you going to do about the unprecedented hostility among members lately?

DDO is a unique community, so I think keeping toxicity to low levels is key for a thriving site. I will encourage members to try to work problems out peacefully, but I understand with deeper issues we can all be a bit stubborn. Drama will happen, but I will try to strengthen the community so that we can recover properly from particularly bad events. I think we've gotten away from that a bit - doing things like being able to come together in a Hangout at the end of the day and be able to laugh with people we told to fvck off a few days before. The only thing I can do is advocate for a collective push for unity.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:20:02 AM
Solid post. I'm still voting for imabench, but if any president wins I want it to be you
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:22:08 AM

Its going extremely well for me right about now ;)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:22:53 AM
At 5/5/2016 5:22:08 AM, imabench wrote:

Its going extremely well for me right about now ;)

I have no doubt about that.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:26:00 AM
At 5/5/2016 4:54:50 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

This is a lot to read through and its 130AM east coast time so Ill just ask two questions. Really its just one question framed two different ways, but its pretty simple.

You are in favor of keeping the preisdency, restoring prestige to it, community outreach, yatta yatta yatta...... What is it about your campaign that makes it different from DK's campaign? What do you offer that DK doesnt?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:26:25 AM
At 5/5/2016 5:14:06 AM, Rosalie wrote:
That isn't what I'm talking about. As a DDO president, you need to be someone, tbay people can look up-to, and and seek help from, and be on good grounds with members, do you think that you're capable of doing so?

I have full confidence in him. All members have times of personal animosity on the site (which is why abolition doesn't solve for drama), but the ability to move on is what's most important at the end of the day. Chris absolutely does, and let the next months of campaigning be the record for this.

His abilities are something I can fully vouch for. While younger than most candidates, he is articulate and more than dedicated enough to the site to be a powerful voice.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:28:53 AM
At 5/5/2016 5:19:12 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Would you reinstate the so-called "banning trials"?

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:31:52 AM
This is a solid platform, and i'm going to say, i support this. For now, y'all honestly have my vote. This can of course change, but for what its worth, right now this seems to me like the strongest candidacy imho
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:34:01 AM
At 5/5/2016 5:26:00 AM, imabench wrote:

This is a lot to read through and its 130AM east coast time so Ill just ask two questions. Really its just one question framed two different ways, but its pretty simple.

You are in favor of keeping the preisdency, restoring prestige to it, community outreach, yatta yatta yatta...... What is it about your campaign that makes it different from DK's campaign? What do you offer that DK doesnt?

I promise to incorporate the outside voice in my decision making. I will not go just on my own philosophy in being a liaison to Max - which is the biggest focus of my campaign. A lot of members feel a bit disconnected, and I will put a load of energy (as an added bonus, the term will kick in when I'm just getting summer vacation from school started) into incorporating their voice to bridge the gaps, come to compromise, and create a better experience for all members.

Also, DK's platform did not once mention outreach, which is the secondary major focus point in my plan for a long-thriving DDO.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:35:45 AM
At 5/5/2016 5:28:53 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

I've never understood the obsession with trials. There has only been one that lead to any real result, if I'm not mistaken (izbo). It seems like an adventure of drama when issues with behavior can be litigated in a more proven manner.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:36:28 AM
At 5/5/2016 5:31:52 AM, Buddamoose wrote:
This is a solid platform, and i'm going to say, i support this. For now, y'all honestly have my vote. This can of course change, but for what its worth, right now this seems to me like the strongest candidacy imho

Glad to have you on board, Budda.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:37:38 AM
At 5/5/2016 5:35:45 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I've never understood the obsession with trials. There has only been one that lead to any real result, if I'm not mistaken (izbo). It seems like an adventure of drama when issues with behavior can be litigated in a more proven manner.

Would you be willing to push for airmax to have greater scrutiny on member insults and attacks?

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:39:58 AM
At 5/5/2016 5:37:38 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Would you be willing to push for airmax to have greater scrutiny on member insults and attacks?

I'm willing to review any moderation policy as need be. I think Max's style of moderation of attacks goes well with the site. That isn't to say I haven't had disagreements with his decisions before, but I'm generally comfortable with the current range Max considers bannable misconduct.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:41:02 AM
At 5/5/2016 5:39:58 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I'm willing to review any moderation policy as need be. I think Max's style of moderation of attacks goes well with the site. That isn't to say I haven't had disagreements with his decisions before, but I'm generally comfortable with the current range Max considers bannable misconduct.

Would you be willing to lobby airmax to give me permanent poll removal abilities?

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:41:52 AM
I like the idea of making users feel more connected with the presidency and with moderation, but can you elaborate more on how exactly you'll be that liaison? With so many potential PMs, how will you decide what to bring up with Airmax?

Other than that though, I support your campaign too.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:42:18 AM
At 5/5/2016 5:34:01 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I promise to incorporate the outside voice in my decision making. I will not go just on my own philosophy in being a liaison to Max - which is the biggest focus of my campaign. A lot of members feel a bit disconnected, and I will put a load of energy into incorporating their voice to bridge the gaps, come to compromise, and create a better experience for all members.

All of those are the same generic tentpoles in a campaign that pro-presidential candidates have run on before over and over again..... Point me towards the most unique thing you are campaigning on right now in this announcement

Also, DK's platform did not once mention outreach, which is the secondary major focus point in my plan for a long-thriving DDO.

Im fairly certain that outreach is one of his big themes, at least implied if not explicit.....

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:46:33 AM
At 5/5/2016 5:41:52 AM, Sapphique wrote:
I like the idea of making users feel more connected with the presidency and with moderation, but can you elaborate more on how exactly you'll be that liaison? With so many potential PMs, how will you decide what to bring up with Airmax?

I don't anticipate much of a problem here. Most of the PMs should be about the same sort of issues, so making them into single messages to Max shouldn't be a problem.

Other than that though, I support your campaign too.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:46:49 AM
At 5/5/2016 5:34:01 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I promise to incorporate the outside voice in my decision making. I will not go just on my own philosophy in being a liaison to Max - which is the biggest focus of my campaign. A lot of members feel a bit disconnected, and I will put a load of energy (as an added bonus, the term will kick in when I'm just getting summer vacation from school started) into incorporating their voice to bridge the gaps, come to compromise, and create a better experience for all members.

The entire Elective Administration idea in my campaign does this. I have a whole section on this.

Presidential updates with actual videos of myself speaking to the members... This was all in my Thread.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:47:13 AM
At 5/5/2016 5:41:02 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 5/5/2016 5:39:58 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Would you be willing to lobby airmax to give me permanent poll removal abilities?

I would be willing, and I don't think there'd be much dissent on that.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:48:58 AM
At 5/5/2016 5:47:13 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I would be willing, and I don't think there'd be much dissent on that.

Umm there would be some. PetersSmith and whiteflame are about the same in that they both seem to have a devoted selection of critics who believe them to be unfit for the jobs they serve

donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2016 5:49:24 AM
At 5/5/2016 5:41:52 AM, Sapphique wrote:

The DK//TUF ticket uses an Elective Administration which helps centralize discussion, and connecting the Presidency with the members involved in site issues. This helps Airmax, while ensuring all issues have equal representation in the Elective Administration, and in the eyes of Airmax (while also taking a lot of the stress off of Airmax's shoulders.)
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --