Jump to topic:

**Official April/May Beginners' Tournament**

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 12:13:42 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Welcome to the Official Beginners' Tournament!

Introduction

Hi, everyone! So, I noticed yesterday that the April Beginners' Tournament had never happened and the May Beginners' Tournament hasn't started either, so I messaged Airmax and asked him if I could run a joint April/May Beginners' Tournament. He gave the nod of approval, so here it is.

This tournament will pair beginners with experienced mentors to help them grow as debaters. Beginners' should be prepared to commit for at least 2 months, and a maximum of 3 debates. This will be a single elimination tournament.

Who is a beginner?

I was looking to define the terms of who qualifies to be a "beginner," and tried coming up with several criteria, but I think bsh1's definition of a beginner fits best.

A beginner is anyone who meets one of A, B, or C (you do not have to be all or most of A, B, or C). Those criteria are: (A) your ELO is 2,750 or less, (B) you have participated in 15 or fewer debates, or (C) you have been on the site for 2 months or fewer. These criteria are assessed over all of your accounts. If you have 15 debates in account X, but 3 in account Y, you will be assessed has having 18 debates. If you have in excess of 50 debates, you are ineligible to be a beginner, even if you meet one of A, B, or C.

Mentors

I will send private messages to people I perceive as strong debaters capable of mentoring new ones, and hope they respond. If you wish to sign up to be a mentor, PM me. Ideally, a mentor should have an Elo rating of 3,250 or more, though this is not a hard-and-fast requirement. I have the ability to reject applications to be mentors regardless of whether the person meets the Elo requirement. I will entertain any applicant for a mentor so long as they apply by PM. Do not apply by any means other than via PM.

Structure of the Tournament

There will be eight debaters in the tournament, with two (or more) replacements in case members drop out. But I would prefer that nobody drop out, so please sign-up only if you are relatively free for the next 2 months. There will be a minimum of 4 mentors, though I will attempt to find more of them so that individual beginners gain more attention.

Each beginner will be assigned a mentor who will work with them throughout the tournament. If any beginner feels their mentor is putting in insufficient time helping them, they should talk to me immediately so that I can evaluate the situation and possibly seek out a replacement mentor. Don't worry about messaging me regarding insufficient time; even if your mentor doesn't provide you the help in writing your first case (or says "they'll help you later"), please message me and I'll explore the issue. In my first Beginners' Tournament, I was reluctant to message the moderator regarding the mentor and it probably cost me the debate.

This will be a single-elimination tournament. Every loss results in an elimination from the tournament. Each debater engages in a maximum of 3 debates (depending on their number of wins).

When you are assigned an opponent for each debate (in-between rounds), you and your opponent will have 48 hours to arrive at a topic you wish to debate and start the debate (optionally, with the help of your mentors). If a debate hasn't started by then, I will select a topic from the NSDA PF or LD topic lists, or any other similar lists (I am not limited by those two lists). There are only 2 restrictions on topics: (1) no troll topics--what counts as a troll topic is at my personal discretion, and (2) no truisms--what counts as a truism is at my personal discretion.

Debate Structure

I usually do not dictate the structure or rules when I moderate tournaments, as I feel debaters should have the discretion to construct structures of their choosing. But to ensure an optimal environment for new debaters or beginners to improve, I will provide a mandatory set-up for debates. If you wish to have a different set-up for individual debates, I will consider it on a case-by-case basis--please PM me if you wish to, though I would strongly recommend you stick to the set-up.

Instigator side: Pro
Contender side: Con

Rounds: 4

Time to Argue: 72 hours

Argument Max.: Anywhere between 8,000 and 10,000 characters.

Voting Period: 1 Week
Vote Comments: Yes

Voting Style: Open Voting

Advanced Options:

Who can vote on your debate? Only members with a minimum Elo score of 2500 and a maximum of [No Max].

Which point system do you want on this debate? "Select Winner"

Debate Rules

The arguments should not begin in Round 1. Round 1 should be for rules, acceptance and clarification only. The Instigator (Pro) should clarify the rules in Round 1, which are up to their discretion (I reserve the right to declare rules illegitimate). But these two rules should be present:

1) The first round is for acceptance only (the Contender should simply post "I accept")
2) No new arguments in the final round

======

If you are interested in this tournament, please add your name to the sign-up sheet or post "/in" below. it is a great learning experience and a good way to integrate yourself into the site. I look forward to a fun time; good luck!

These rules have been excerpted or adapted from, or inspired by, bsh1's rules for his Beginners' Tournaments.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 12:13:57 PM
Sign-Ups

Primary

Replacements

"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 2:25:14 PM
Wait a minute, there is still a Beginners tournament going on. It's not even past Round 2 yet. What would be more accurate is to call this the Late Spring/Summer tourney
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 2:46:04 PM
April/May, (Lol)
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2016 4:07:38 PM
At 5/6/2016 2:25:14 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:
Wait a minute, there is still a Beginners tournament going on. It's not even past Round 2 yet.

Two beginners' tournaments can happen at the same time - since each tournament, on average, takes two months and there's one every month.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 5:32:50 AM
Sign-Ups

Primary

1. Opsianos

Replacements

missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 5:38:17 AM
/in
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 6:07:53 AM
Sign-Ups

Primary

1. Opsianos
2. missbailey8

Replacements

NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 9:49:25 PM
/in

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 7:17:43 AM
Sign-Ups

Primary

1. Opsianos
2. missbailey8
3. NothingSpecial99

Replacements

NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 8:49:56 PM
Bump

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 10:10:39 AM
Bumping.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 4:36:13 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
Bump
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 4:42:08 AM
At 5/17/2016 4:36:13 AM, tejretics wrote:
Bump

This is depressing.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2016 12:23:58 AM
At 5/30/2016 12:18:24 AM, Hayd wrote:
So did this end up happening?

Doubt it. There aren't enough people that signed up for it. If this started in the summer I would totally sign up.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2016 12:24:32 AM
At 5/30/2016 12:23:58 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 5/30/2016 12:18:24 AM, Hayd wrote:
So did this end up happening?

Doubt it. There aren't enough people that signed up for it. If this started in the summer I would totally sign up.

Edit: This is a beginners tournament, so I cannot sign up for it.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2016 12:37:35 AM
At 5/30/2016 12:36:29 AM, David_Debates wrote:
Can I sign up?

If its still running. I'm waiting for tejretics to confirm since he was modding the tournament, it might have been canceled.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2016 2:56:25 AM
At 5/30/2016 12:36:29 AM, David_Debates wrote:
Can I sign up?

Sure.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2016 2:56:57 AM
Sign-Ups

Primary

1. Opsianos
2. missbailey8
3. NothingSpecial99
4. David_Debates

Replacements