Jump to topic:

Google Hangout Debate League

Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2016 10:22:45 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
I would be interested in starting a debate league on DDO, with some similarities to the NSDA. A committee (or myself) would set a 1-2 month long topic, people would debate on said topic at bi weekly or weekly tournaments (on google hangout) with 4-6 rounds and break rounds. It would be a big project and would require a lot of participants, but does this sound interesting to anyone? If it gets enough support/traction, I would gladly put the time and resources in to it.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 2:51:54 AM
Love it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 3:14:47 AM
At 5/7/2016 10:22:45 PM, Objectivity wrote:
I would be interested in starting a debate league on DDO

If you ever do any troll debates let me know
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 4:05:31 AM
I might be interested.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:06:19 PM
Unfortunately this isn't getting as much traction as I would like, maybe I'll try to get airmax to endorse it and see if we can get some type of award or incentive going for performing well in tournaments.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:14:01 PM
At 5/9/2016 4:06:19 PM, Objectivity wrote:
Unfortunately this isn't getting as much traction as I would like, maybe I'll try to get airmax to endorse it and see if we can get some type of award or incentive going for performing well in tournaments.

Live debate I think is a scary concept for most people.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:17:52 PM
I like live debating, but I am very picky on topics. I hate arguing on topics I feel I don't fully know all the information about, or if it's related to direct politics. I like debating Philosophical and societal issues. If anyone wants to debate something along those lines that doesn't follow a strictly formatted paradigmed structure, I would be up for that.
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:21:45 PM
I would be interested in starting a debate league on DDO, with some similarities to the NSDA. A committee (or myself) would set a 1-2 month long topic, people would debate on said topic at bi weekly or weekly tournaments (on google hangout) with 4-6 rounds and break rounds. It would be a big project and would require a lot of participants, but does this sound interesting to anyone? If it gets enough support/traction, I would gladly put the time and resources in to it.

FT and I were discussing a live debate, a long with a topic. I will see if he's up to doing this.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:25:56 PM
At 5/9/2016 4:17:52 PM, TUF wrote:
I like live debating, but I am very picky on topics. I hate arguing on topics I feel I don't fully know all the information about, or if it's related to direct politics. I like debating Philosophical and societal issues. If anyone wants to debate something along those lines that doesn't follow a strictly formatted paradigmed structure, I would be up for that.

To clarify what I mean by this, I like structures that are straight-forward. As an LD'er I hated trying to fit arguments into an uneven amount of time depending on what side you were one. I prefer a debate style that doesn't force time structure as a potential negative hinderance to one side in the debate. Like in lannan and FT's live debate, both debaters each round got the exact same number of rounds. Neither debater had to attach V/C to uphold and link the rest of their arguments to. I think it gives debaters the option for better argumentation, and takes the wasted time away from arguments like:
My opponent dropped this tagline of this contention, and it should be extended (uneven time limits are a factor to this) or;
My opponent's value and criterion are weaker than mine, thus you can ignore all of his contentions that more directly related to the debate, and give me an advantage here.

Yeah, not a fan of most high school debate structures. I want to hear actual arguments, and only want to hear about drops if they were really important to the debate, or if an argument the opponent made didn't broadly touch that rebuttal.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 6:15:14 PM
I'm fine with most political/social issues; unlike TUF, I'm not picky on topics. But, more resembling TUF, I dislike the rigorous structure of highly competitive debate (e.g. LD), as has been done on DDO before (see bsh1's debate with Zaradi on RTBF). I also strongly dislike spreading. I like more casual, less competitive debates (e.g. whiteflame's debate with Raisor, FT's debate with Lannan), without a strict paradigm.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 9:33:10 PM
At 5/9/2016 6:15:14 PM, tejretics wrote:
I'm fine with most political/social issues; unlike TUF, I'm not picky on topics. But, more resembling TUF, I dislike the rigorous structure of highly competitive debate (e.g. LD), as has been done on DDO before (see bsh1's debate with Zaradi on RTBF). I also strongly dislike spreading. I like more casual, less competitive debates (e.g. whiteflame's debate with Raisor, FT's debate with Lannan), without a strict paradigm.

is the zaradi v. bsh debate still on record on the site?
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 12:47:57 AM
At 5/8/2016 3:14:47 AM, imabench wrote:

Thett and I have done a few less than totally in the right state of mind debates on google hangouts. Would be down to do one against you, so long as it's not recorded.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 12:51:17 AM
At 5/10/2016 12:47:57 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:

Thett and I have done a few less than totally in the right state of mind debates on google hangouts. Would be down to do one against you, so long as it's not recorded.

You still exist? What's up man?
ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 12:55:50 AM
At 5/10/2016 12:51:17 AM, TUF wrote:

Not all too much. I started doing standup, still studying behavioral economics, but I've lost touch with debate. Might be down to do a few shorter ones to see if it's still something I would like to do.
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 1:12:13 AM
At 5/10/2016 12:55:50 AM, ClassicRobert wrote:
At 5/10/2016 12:51:17 AM, TUF wrote:

Not all too much. I started doing standup,

Dude thats bad@ss, had a buddy just get into that too. Have any youtube vids?

still studying behavioral economics, but I've lost touch with debate. Might be down to do a few shorter ones to see if it's still something I would like to do.

I remember you being a good live debater, its a shame
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 4:02:20 AM
At 5/9/2016 9:33:10 PM, Objectivity wrote:
At 5/9/2016 6:15:14 PM, tejretics wrote:

is the zaradi v. bsh debate still on record on the site?

http://www.debate.org...
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 5:32:54 PM
To answer Classic and Bench, you could make troll/joke arguments, in LD and Policy debate one way to win is by satirizing your opponents' position.
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2016 5:34:27 PM
I'll probably start a tournament soon, try to get 12-16 participants, make a list of 4-5 topics, and let the participants vote on one topic from the list provided for said tournament.
ColeBrecheen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2016 7:20:09 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Really glad to see someone thinking about this. Not sure I have time now to help much with it, but please keep me posted.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2016 7:38:37 PM
At 5/12/2016 5:34:27 PM, Objectivity wrote:
I'll probably start a tournament soon, try to get 12-16 participants, make a list of 4-5 topics, and let the participants vote on one topic from the list provided for said tournament.

Did you start it yet?
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 1:48:09 AM
At 6/11/2016 7:38:37 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Did you start it yet?

If you are interested that puts it up to 9 potential participants, if I can get 3 more I would definitely do a tournament. I can probably get lucky to do it and raisor, would put it up to 11.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 1:48:44 AM
At 6/12/2016 1:48:09 AM, Objectivity wrote:

Did you start it yet?

If you are interested that puts it up to 9 potential participants, if I can get 3 more I would definitely do a tournament. I can probably get lucky to do it and raisor, would put it up to 11.

Yeah I'd be interested so long as it's in at least a week. School needs to finish first.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 2:07:05 AM
At 6/12/2016 1:48:44 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
At 6/12/2016 1:48:09 AM, Objectivity wrote:

Did you start it yet?

Yeah I'd be interested so long as it's in at least a week. School needs to finish first.

im at nationals for debate irl right now so it wouldn't be for at least a week.