Total Posts:29|Showing Posts:1-29
Jump to topic:

Voters Union Recruitment Thread

TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 1:04:54 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
We want you! Yes you! The Voters Union is looking for active contributors for the Union.

The Rules for voting are simple:


Rules of Voting:

1. Every vote must mention each argument in the debate" Contentions, Arguments, Rebuttals, and all other names for them. The arguments are not to be confused with each individual claim or source. You do not have to tackle each argument of each round, and summing up similar, small arguments is okay.

2. No Conduct votes or Spelling and Grammar votes may be cast.

3. You may vote as you like on any non-submitted vote.

I am offering to assist DK with prizes this month, to add an incentive for voters who vote a lot and get close. 10 votes that meet the standards above will earn you a video game of your choice on any platform at the cost of 50$. Usually the prize is just a single video game for the user with the most votes, but the union is falling behind a bit lately on active voters, meaning that the few consistent voters have had to step up their game quite a bit (Shoutout to Tejretics, Hayd, firewings, Nothing Special).

To be a part of the union you should be voting at least once during every monthly session. But the real point of being part of the union is to assist in the site"s voting problems, and we should be aiming for more than just the bare minimum.
DK is the moderator of the union, but is currently busy campaigning, so Tej and myself will be the active moderators for the month of May.

If you want to be eligible for prizes this month, please contact me or Tej in the next 2 days, and you will be included in next months VU PM.
May month started a bit late, and so to hit those ten votes, we will really need to amp it up. Good luck voters, and we welcome you to the union!

Current Voters Union Members:

Coletrain
Hayd
TUF
Tejretics
Donald.Keller
Midnight
Bob13

If you need a debate voted on, submit it here: http://www.debate.org...
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
tejretics
Posts: 6,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 1:06:23 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 1:04:54 PM, TUF wrote:

MagicAintReal has also been recruited, FYI. I messaged him requesting him to join, and have informed DK.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 1:08:22 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 1:06:23 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/8/2016 1:04:54 PM, TUF wrote:

MagicAintReal has also been recruited, FYI. I messaged him requesting him to join, and have informed DK.

Awesome, thankyou.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
famousdebater
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 1:09:26 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 1:04:54 PM, TUF wrote:
Current Voters Union Members:

Coletrain
Hayd
TUF
Tejretics
Donald.Keller
Midnight
Bob13

There are loads more members than this.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 1:10:09 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 1:09:26 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 5/8/2016 1:04:54 PM, TUF wrote:
Current Voters Union Members:

Coletrain
Hayd
TUF
Tejretics
Donald.Keller
Midnight
Bob13

There are loads more members than this.

I've removed anyone that has not voted in the last month's session. They are more than welcome to reapply.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
tejretics
Posts: 6,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 2:00:34 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 1:04:54 PM, TUF wrote:
Current Voters Union Members:

Coletrain
Hayd
TUF
Tejretics
Donald.Keller
Midnight
Bob13

Note: include all VU members in the next PM -- when DK initially proposed it, he did say "you can be in it without voting, if you don't have the time - just try to vote as much as you can."
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 2:21:02 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 2:00:34 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/8/2016 1:04:54 PM, TUF wrote:
Current Voters Union Members:

Coletrain
Hayd
TUF
Tejretics
Donald.Keller
Midnight
Bob13

Note: include all VU members in the next PM -- when DK initially proposed it, he did say "you can be in it without voting, if you don't have the time - just try to vote as much as you can."

What's your thoughts on this? I've personally been told having members in the VU who don't contribute is bad. I also asked DK if it was okay removing these members. I don't see why we should spam their Inbox with this if they aren't going to bother voting or even responding when we send out multiple notifications for debates that need votes. If any old members get a renewed interest in voting, by all means let's put them back in.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
tejretics
Posts: 6,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 2:22:00 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 2:21:02 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/8/2016 2:00:34 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/8/2016 1:04:54 PM, TUF wrote:
Current Voters Union Members:

Coletrain
Hayd
TUF
Tejretics
Donald.Keller
Midnight
Bob13

Note: include all VU members in the next PM -- when DK initially proposed it, he did say "you can be in it without voting, if you don't have the time - just try to vote as much as you can."

What's your thoughts on this? I've personally been told having members in the VU who don't contribute is bad. I also asked DK if it was okay removing these members. I don't see why we should spam their Inbox with this if they aren't going to bother voting or even responding when we send out multiple notifications for debates that need votes. If any old members get a renewed interest in voting, by all means let's put them back in.

They joined the Voter Union, which means they wish to be in the PM. We aren't doing that without their consent. If they wish to leave, they can leave.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
lannan13
Posts: 23,065
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 2:23:18 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 1:04:54 PM, TUF wrote:

I'm interested. Summer is coming up and I'll be able to help out more.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 2:27:43 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 2:22:00 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/8/2016 2:21:02 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/8/2016 2:00:34 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/8/2016 1:04:54 PM, TUF wrote:
Current Voters Union Members:

Coletrain
Hayd
TUF
Tejretics
Donald.Keller
Midnight
Bob13

Note: include all VU members in the next PM -- when DK initially proposed it, he did say "you can be in it without voting, if you don't have the time - just try to vote as much as you can."

What's your thoughts on this? I've personally been told having members in the VU who don't contribute is bad. I also asked DK if it was okay removing these members. I don't see why we should spam their Inbox with this if they aren't going to bother voting or even responding when we send out multiple notifications for debates that need votes. If any old members get a renewed interest in voting, by all means let's put them back in.

They joined the Voter Union, which means they wish to be in the PM. We aren't doing that without their consent. If they wish to leave, they can leave.

Several people have mentioned not even knowing they were in the union. Doesn't it look bad to have 30 people on a list when only like 4 of them actively vote?
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 2:28:15 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 2:23:18 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 5/8/2016 1:04:54 PM, TUF wrote:

I'm interested. Summer is coming up and I'll be able to help out more.

Awesome thanks lannan.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
lannan13
Posts: 23,065
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 2:29:08 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 2:28:15 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/8/2016 2:23:18 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 5/8/2016 1:04:54 PM, TUF wrote:

I'm interested. Summer is coming up and I'll be able to help out more.

Awesome thanks lannan.

Welcome.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
SkyLeach
Posts: 206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2016 2:34:55 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
if I wanted to join, would I have to vote on pedantic, specious and sophistry-laden debates who's content makes my brain wish become a booger and leak from my nose rather than read another word?

I realize voting is needed... but I don't have the patience of a junior-high teacher.
Math is just another language, however one without analogy.

- http://arxiv.org...
Opsianos
Posts: 1,155
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:40:48 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/9/2016 4:31:34 AM, SolonKR wrote:
YOLO
I'll do it.

YOLO is exactly why you shouldn't do it.

(:3)
Have no regrets.
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 4:49:15 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
To explain the "removing voters" and "May enter but not vote" remarks. They may be members even if they don't vote that month. But after two months of neither voting or replying to me, I remove them from PMs because it's too much effort having to send out PMs to everyone who doesn't vote. They aren't banned or blatantly pushed out. They are still 'members'... They just aren't included in the PM. If they ask to rejoin, I re-include them.

I've never removed a member who at least replied to me. But people who don't vote, reply, or even acknowledge my existence, have already stopped being members by their own choice.

It's less about removing them as members, and more that I presume they are no longer members of the VU by that point.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
fire_wings
Posts: 5,561
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 5:12:03 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
How about me?
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
NothingSpecial99
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 5:21:26 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 1:10:09 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/8/2016 1:09:26 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 5/8/2016 1:04:54 PM, TUF wrote:
Current Voters Union Members:

Coletrain
Hayd
TUF
Tejretics
Donald.Keller
Midnight
Bob13

There are loads more members than this.

I've removed anyone that has not voted in the last month's session. They are more than welcome to reapply.

Hey, I casted a couple of votes last month
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
fire_wings
Posts: 5,561
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 5:22:23 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 1:04:54 PM, TUF wrote:
We want you! Yes you! The Voters Union is looking for active contributors for the Union.

The Rules for voting are simple:


Rules of Voting:

1. Every vote must mention each argument in the debate" Contentions, Arguments, Rebuttals, and all other names for them. The arguments are not to be confused with each individual claim or source. You do not have to tackle each argument of each round, and summing up similar, small arguments is okay.

2. No Conduct votes or Spelling and Grammar votes may be cast.


3. You may vote as you like on any non-submitted vote.


I am offering to assist DK with prizes this month, to add an incentive for voters who vote a lot and get close. 10 votes that meet the standards above will earn you a video game of your choice on any platform at the cost of 50$. Usually the prize is just a single video game for the user with the most votes, but the union is falling behind a bit lately on active voters, meaning that the few consistent voters have had to step up their game quite a bit (Shoutout to Tejretics, Hayd, firewings, Nothing Special).

To be a part of the union you should be voting at least once during every monthly session. But the real point of being part of the union is to assist in the site"s voting problems, and we should be aiming for more than just the bare minimum.
DK is the moderator of the union, but is currently busy campaigning, so Tej and myself will be the active moderators for the month of May.

If you want to be eligible for prizes this month, please contact me or Tej in the next 2 days, and you will be included in next months VU PM.
May month started a bit late, and so to hit those ten votes, we will really need to amp it up. Good luck voters, and we welcome you to the union!


Current Voters Union Members:

Coletrain
Hayd
TUF
Tejretics
Donald.Keller
Midnight
Bob13

If you need a debate voted on, submit it here: http://www.debate.org...

I casted 6 points last month. Why ain't I in the list?
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 7:24:55 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/9/2016 5:12:03 PM, fire_wings wrote:
How about me?

Yes you and nothing . special are on the VU. I accidentally missed you when writing the OP.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
fire_wings
Posts: 5,561
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 8:36:19 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/9/2016 7:24:55 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/9/2016 5:12:03 PM, fire_wings wrote:
How about me?

Yes you and nothing . special are on the VU. I accidentally missed you when writing the OP.

oh, so i am part of it.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 9:42:11 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/9/2016 8:36:19 PM, fire_wings wrote:
At 5/9/2016 7:24:55 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/9/2016 5:12:03 PM, fire_wings wrote:
How about me?

Yes you and nothing . special are on the VU. I accidentally missed you when writing the OP.

oh, so i am part of it.

yes...
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
NothingSpecial99
Posts: 375
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2016 9:52:39 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/9/2016 9:42:11 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/9/2016 8:36:19 PM, fire_wings wrote:
At 5/9/2016 7:24:55 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/9/2016 5:12:03 PM, fire_wings wrote:
How about me?

Yes you and nothing . special are on the VU. I accidentally missed you when writing the OP.

oh, so i am part of it.

yes...

Thanks for clearing that up
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
fire_wings
Posts: 5,561
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 6:02:16 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/9/2016 9:42:11 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/9/2016 8:36:19 PM, fire_wings wrote:
At 5/9/2016 7:24:55 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/9/2016 5:12:03 PM, fire_wings wrote:
How about me?

Yes you and nothing . special are on the VU. I accidentally missed you when writing the OP.

oh, so i am part of it.

yes...

yeah, thanks
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2016 11:58:36 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 5/8/2016 2:27:43 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/8/2016 2:22:00 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/8/2016 2:21:02 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/8/2016 2:00:34 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/8/2016 1:04:54 PM, TUF wrote:
Current Voters Union Members:

Coletrain
Hayd
TUF
Tejretics
Donald.Keller
Midnight
Bob13

Note: include all VU members in the next PM -- when DK initially proposed it, he did say "you can be in it without voting, if you don't have the time - just try to vote as much as you can."

What's your thoughts on this? I've personally been told having members in the VU who don't contribute is bad. I also asked DK if it was okay removing these members. I don't see why we should spam their Inbox with this if they aren't going to bother voting or even responding when we send out multiple notifications for debates that need votes. If any old members get a renewed interest in voting, by all means let's put them back in.

They joined the Voter Union, which means they wish to be in the PM. We aren't doing that without their consent. If they wish to leave, they can leave.

Several people have mentioned not even knowing they were in the union. Doesn't it look bad to have 30 people on a list when only like 4 of them actively vote?

No one has ever been added without asking. The problem is that they ask, they are included in the mass PM, and the personal PM... And then they care so little that they forget about the Union. Like I mentioned above, I remove them because I assume that they, by their own choice, are no longer in the Union.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
SkyLeach
Posts: 206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 12:49:06 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
Ok, add me. I've been doing a lot of the searching and voting on my own, but if you can save me that effort I suppose it's a win for all.
Math is just another language, however one without analogy.

- http://arxiv.org...
TUF
Posts: 21,309
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 7:18:03 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Recruitment will remain open for the following months, however the 2 day deadline has passed so I am sending a PM out to the new union members. Thanks to the new member who have joined!

Old Members:

Firewings
Nothingspecial
Coletrain
Hayd
TUF
Tejretics
Donald.Keller
Midnight
Bob13

New Members:

BOT (Told me in hangouts he wanted to join, so I am adding him back in)
SolonKR
Lannan13
Skyleach
MagicAintReal

Welcome aboard new members! Remember, 10 votes before the end of the months equals a new or if you aren't a gamer something on Amazon of equal value. Ten votes that meet the standards is a lot, I realize, but we can do it. I will be scrutinizing votes to make sure they meet the standards. Donald Keller I think is still offering his own prize. I am not sure on that, but I think his will operate normally.

Good luck everyone!
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,035
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 7:26:03 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/10/2016 11:58:36 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 5/8/2016 2:27:43 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/8/2016 2:22:00 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/8/2016 2:21:02 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/8/2016 2:00:34 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/8/2016 1:04:54 PM, TUF wrote:
Current Voters Union Members:

Coletrain
Hayd
TUF
Tejretics
Donald.Keller
Midnight
Bob13

Note: include all VU members in the next PM -- when DK initially proposed it, he did say "you can be in it without voting, if you don't have the time - just try to vote as much as you can."

What's your thoughts on this? I've personally been told having members in the VU who don't contribute is bad. I also asked DK if it was okay removing these members. I don't see why we should spam their Inbox with this if they aren't going to bother voting or even responding when we send out multiple notifications for debates that need votes. If any old members get a renewed interest in voting, by all means let's put them back in.

They joined the Voter Union, which means they wish to be in the PM. We aren't doing that without their consent. If they wish to leave, they can leave.

Several people have mentioned not even knowing they were in the union. Doesn't it look bad to have 30 people on a list when only like 4 of them actively vote?

No one has ever been added without asking. The problem is that they ask, they are included in the mass PM, and the personal PM... And then they care so little that they forget about the Union. Like I mentioned above, I remove them because I assume that they, by their own choice, are no longer in the Union.

This is a wise course of action. The reason the Supreme Council of Determination lasted for nearly two years was because we had a policy to remove anyone who was inactive for a period longer than 2 weeks. We'd fill that spot by asking for nominations from the other Council members based on who they know or have seen being active in voting on debates. This ensured that we always had a full Council made up of active voters. I should also note that I did have a core group of 6-7 people who stayed active throughout the entire time.

Also, the removal wasn't immediate, we *did* do a probationary period of 1 week. This meant that after 2 weeks of inactivity I, being the leader, would personally contact the person and notify them of their new status and ask that they either vote on at-least one of the debates presented in the next Summit or they will be removed from the group. Sometimes they would, sometimes they wouldn't. A good leader treats every person equally though, so don't hesitate to boot just because they're your friend, and don't shun away an someone from joining just because they're an enemy. For instance, Prog and I amended our differences because of his involvement in the Council.

If there was anything I wish I did differently, it'd have been to put more emphasis on training newer members how to vote appropriately. At the time, voting standards were either shaped by real life voting policies in the debate circuit or mimicking the voting style of experienced voters. These days, I would have probably had a beginner Council group within the main one focused on getting newer members up to speed quality-wise so that they, too, could be active in the main Council activities.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
donald.keller
Posts: 3,709
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2016 8:36:27 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/11/2016 7:26:03 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 5/10/2016 11:58:36 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 5/8/2016 2:27:43 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/8/2016 2:22:00 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/8/2016 2:21:02 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/8/2016 2:00:34 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/8/2016 1:04:54 PM, TUF wrote:
Current Voters Union Members:

Coletrain
Hayd
TUF
Tejretics
Donald.Keller
Midnight
Bob13

Note: include all VU members in the next PM -- when DK initially proposed it, he did say "you can be in it without voting, if you don't have the time - just try to vote as much as you can."

What's your thoughts on this? I've personally been told having members in the VU who don't contribute is bad. I also asked DK if it was okay removing these members. I don't see why we should spam their Inbox with this if they aren't going to bother voting or even responding when we send out multiple notifications for debates that need votes. If any old members get a renewed interest in voting, by all means let's put them back in.

They joined the Voter Union, which means they wish to be in the PM. We aren't doing that without their consent. If they wish to leave, they can leave.

Several people have mentioned not even knowing they were in the union. Doesn't it look bad to have 30 people on a list when only like 4 of them actively vote?

No one has ever been added without asking. The problem is that they ask, they are included in the mass PM, and the personal PM... And then they care so little that they forget about the Union. Like I mentioned above, I remove them because I assume that they, by their own choice, are no longer in the Union.

This is a wise course of action. The reason the Supreme Council of Determination lasted for nearly two years was because we had a policy to remove anyone who was inactive for a period longer than 2 weeks. We'd fill that spot by asking for nominations from the other Council members based on who they know or have seen being active in voting on debates. This ensured that we always had a full Council made up of active voters. I should also note that I did have a core group of 6-7 people who stayed active throughout the entire time.

Also, the removal wasn't immediate, we *did* do a probationary period of 1 week. This meant that after 2 weeks of inactivity I, being the leader, would personally contact the person and notify them of their new status and ask that they either vote on at-least one of the debates presented in the next Summit or they will be removed from the group. Sometimes they would, sometimes they wouldn't. A good leader treats every person equally though, so don't hesitate to boot just because they're your friend, and don't shun away an someone from joining just because they're an enemy. For instance, Prog and I amended our differences because of his involvement in the Council.

If there was anything I wish I did differently, it'd have been to put more emphasis on training newer members how to vote appropriately. At the time, voting standards were either shaped by real life voting policies in the debate circuit or mimicking the voting style of experienced voters. These days, I would have probably had a beginner Council group within the main one focused on getting newer members up to speed quality-wise so that they, too, could be active in the main Council activities.

You know, its funny you mentioned that, because a goal of the VU is to train new members as well.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --