Jump to topic:

Ego?

Shtookah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 7:05:04 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Does anyone else feel like this website is has a lot of egotistical people on it...?
You are reading a very cool and original signature that makes you think I am chill person to hang with.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 7:06:10 AM
At 12/6/2010 7:05:04 AM, Shtookah wrote:
Does anyone else feel like this website is has a lot of egotistical people on it...?

No, and in fact, probably the opposite.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 2:19:59 PM
At 12/6/2010 7:05:04 AM, Shtookah wrote:

Every political forum does. You get a bunch of people that think they are really smart together and it happens.

It also doesn't hurt that we are putting our own tones into what people post.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 4:16:06 PM
Define egotistical.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2010 4:36:49 PM
confidence isn't the same as arrogance. i think people here are more confident in their opinions than elsewhere because they have spent the time refining their beliefs by challenging others with opposing views rather than just saying "well it seems like xyz so thats that. if you disagree lets not talk about it" or something along those lines.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2010 8:39:12 AM
What belle said.

But what I was getting at is that most people here are also probably a bunch of nerds. If anything you would probably be more likely to find people who are insecure than people who are egotistical :P
President of DDO
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2010 9:10:32 AM
On this website, people can probably come across as egotistical. This is most likely because, in the real world, they're not particularly assertive or confident in themselves, which drives them to assert themselves in other places. It's so much easier to put forward a strong, tough, edgy personality on the internet than it is in real life. That isn't to say that some people don't have more or less the same personality in both worlds (like Freedo, for example), but I would imagine that such people are probably in the minority.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2010 11:14:35 AM
At 12/8/2010 9:10:32 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
On this website, people can probably come across as egotistical. This is most likely because, in the real world, they're not particularly assertive or confident in themselves, which drives them to assert themselves in other places. It's so much easier to put forward a strong, tough, edgy personality on the internet than it is in real life. That isn't to say that some people don't have more or less the same personality in both worlds (like Freedo, for example), but I would imagine that such people are probably in the minority.

I agree, but I also think the people you're referring to are pretty transparent... at least to me.
President of DDO
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2010 2:57:09 PM
At 12/8/2010 11:14:35 AM, theLwerd wrote:

I agree, but I also think the people you're referring to are pretty transparent... at least to me.

Damn transparency... Thank goodness I have on both a suit and fur!
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2010 9:03:00 PM
I like to think of myself as egotistical; I find it a good thing. I place tremendous worth in myself, and act according to that. If it offends other people, or they disagree with my worth, it should not hinder my own belief that I'm valuable.

I mean, if more people saw themselves as having tremendous worth, I think issues involving depression, lack of self-respect, and envy would be solved. On the whole, a positive look on all aspects of life is admirable; extending this to yourself is as well.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2010 2:49:20 PM
At 12/8/2010 9:03:00 PM, M.Torres wrote:
I like to think of myself as egotistical; I find it a good thing. I place tremendous worth in myself, and act according to that. If it offends other people, or they disagree with my worth, it should not hinder my own belief that I'm valuable.

I mean, if more people saw themselves as having tremendous worth, I think issues involving depression, lack of self-respect, and envy would be solved. On the whole, a positive look on all aspects of life is admirable; extending this to yourself is as well.

Many of the world's problems are caused by people who's egotism is a significant part of their character. Any extreme is bad, I'd fancy.

Of course this site is filled with egotistical people. It's debate.org. It's filled with people who think they're right and are willing to spend a good deal of their recreational time arguing about it.

Given that the OP is here, I'm sure that he not only expected that there would be egotistical people; he is also, in fact, egotistical, to a degree. This site does nothing, nor does it claim to do anything, to foster any proficiency in classical debate. It's a social networking site.

So, my only recourse is to assume that the OP intended to poke fun by instigating an issue based on something that's actually inherent in a place like this, but is generally considered negative. But, funny, rather than altogether biting, everyone came together to "logically extrapolate" how the people on here are just "intellectually stimulated and expressive."

Ha.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2010 2:59:15 PM
At 12/8/2010 11:14:35 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Well, fubar on you.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"