Jump to topic:

What is Proof?

wolverine.ks
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 12:22:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I was thinking about either starting a debate or joining one, but I wanted to get clarification on what "proof" is. Is it merely evidence beyond a reasonable doubt, if so, what is reasonable? Is it possible to prove anything? What are considered facts? And how do the adjectives "irrefutable" and "absolute" add to the meaning of the terms "proof" and "facts" and "evidence"?

Thanks
wolverine.ks
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 2:20:37 PM
At 12/6/2010 12:22:21 PM, wolverine.ks wrote:
I was thinking about either starting a debate or joining one, but I wanted to get clarification on what "proof" is. Is it merely evidence beyond a reasonable doubt, if so, what is reasonable? Is it possible to prove anything? What are considered facts? And how do the adjectives "irrefutable" and "absolute" add to the meaning of the terms "proof" and "facts" and "evidence"?

Thanks

Proof - any factual evidence that helps to establish the truth of something
Truth - a fact that has been verified
Fact - a statement or assertion of verified information about something that is the case or has happened

That should do.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 2:27:29 PM
At 12/6/2010 2:24:55 PM, FREEDO wrote:
There is no proof. It is a helpful concept though.

logical proof?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2010 4:17:00 PM
Baby don't syllogize to me.
Baby don't infer to me.
No more.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.