\\=== DK/TUF: Social / Entertainment ===//

donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 4:28:37 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
\\====***== Details about our Social/Entertainment Goals ==***====//

As I've brought up a number of times... The Presidency is unique from normal leadership roles and programs because it's elected...

1 - It doesn't end... Every group formed more than half a year ago is gone. No group has survived longer than two leaders, and most haven't survived the introduction of a second leader at all. Only one group has survived longer than a year. The Presidency is on track to last 6 years, and 15 leaders... I challenge anyone else to show a privately ran group can last through all of that.
2 - Being elected means it has a legitimate representative power. It has the right to represent the site on social media, to Moderation, or to other sites. And if 55% of the people vote for a president, that's 55% of the community that supports and invests in what the President does... Compared to most groups which only receives minimum investment. Bsh's Administration was able to get at least 18+ members throughout it's second term, and most groups don't even get 5 active members. This is because the elections and longevity of the role makes it the single most known and advertised group on DDO. It's reputation is self-propelling.

With these in mind... The Presidency is perfect for roles the site doesn't fulfill, or doesn't fulfill as well.. Usually because the effort's too much for one person to continuously run, or they don't have the well-established representative position in the community the President does.

We brought this up a lot in both the Original Thread (http://www.debate.org...) and the Official Platform T2hread (http://www.debate.org...).

\\===***== What are our Facebook Goals ==***===//

Because of the President's longevity and elected role... The fact is that he enters with the absolute desire to fulfill the role to it's fullest. And after 6 months, is either still enthusiastic, or gives the role to a new member with the same, or more, enthusiasm to fulfill the role. Most groups don't last more than 1 leader... But the Presidencies ability to refresh with a new, fully eager leader, has taken it past 14 leaders. The Presidency is, therefore, perfect for leading the otherwise dormant Facebook page.

Social Media has boomed many groups and sites... DDO is no exception. So that being said, Facebook has several potentials:
- It's fun.
- Shareable Content means we can reach out to a lot of new members. Based on a review of the average members friends list, the group's members has at least 35,000 friends... Upwards of 50,000. Based on the Facebook average (338 friends average), DDO should have an outreach of around 39,208 or more friends (13 million if you include friend's friends, but let's not for now...) Every time just 5 members share a post, we'd reach nearly 1,700 potential viewers.
- Older Members, such as RoyLatham, Koopin, FREEDO, Inferno, I-Am-A-Panda, Korashk, DarkKermit, Contradiction, RoyalPaladin, Phantom, and many more... still exist on Facebook, and can be reached through the DDO page... To get even one or two of these members to come back through sheer FB activity and promotion would be a success.
- Facebook, with 116 current members, and 50,000 possible reachable users, can be a great way to advertise site activity, like a Debate, Original content, Games, Groups, and Polls.

The Facebook page offers so much to the site... But like all groups, it's leader lost interest and the site died. Three years later, and it's still dead. If the page got a new leader, then after a few months, he'd stop running it too, and it'd go another three or more years without leadership. The President is the perfect, and perhaps only, role for the job of manning the Facebook page continuously... A role that could as much as increase DDO's activity by 50-100%.

\\===***== What are our Community Liaison Goals ==***===//

The Presidency, being continuous, and having the representative power it has, is perfect to act as a liaison with other sites and groups. Take the Political NerdFighters on Facebook... They have 88 members. To get even 3 of them in for a cross-group tournament, or to convince the group to use DDO as a platform to host their debates, would have an impact on quality activity, and could get DDO a few new, experienced, members. Same with Historum, with 41,500+ members, and around 500 online members a day (each of whom are incredibly experienced debaters and forum goers.)

We have a lot to gain from working with other groups...
- Activities like debates, competitions, and cross-site games...
- New ideas, games, and concepts we can learn of...
- Expanded Audiences. Imagine OUAD or DGO getting a lot of out-of-site viewers and commentators...
- 100's of new members with experience and enthusiasm for the site.

\\===***== What are our In-Site Goals ==***===//

A large focus of our Ticket is that we don't want to make the site rely on Presidential-activity... Our goal is to help the site produce it's own activity. The above goals work to achieve this end by sponsoring site content, and helping to grow the number of members interested in growing the site. That being said, we aim to focus any projects on training members to do something... We won't host an Administrative branch to create fanfictions or host games, we will host a group to train site members to write their own fanfictions and host games.

Our two biggest ideas here is the Writer's Guild, and the Moderator Varsity Program (MVP)... The Writer's Guild will teach members how to format a story for a forum post, how to start and end a chapter, how to work with the overall story in mind... The MVP would teach members how to mod forum games... Games like FATE, which needs more mods. It'd also aim to create brand new games that non-administrative members would be taught to run. We have no intentions of using our time and energy hosting a few games, when it can be used to train five or six members to host 10x as many games, and to keep running them months and years after our term ends.

If we train 3 new FATE mods, we can have a game of FATE every month. Train 3 new fanfiction writers, and you can re-spark the Golden Era of Fanfictions. These are all goals built around a Presidency that promotes the community being more active, without generating "fake" activity to do it.

\\===***== Final Remarks ==***===//

The Presidency, as a continuously existing group with a 6 month refreshment period, has the potential to do incredible things for the site through the running of Facebook and cross-site collaborations. No private group would fulfill these roles like the President.

It's time to redefine what the President is. No more being a Liaison with Juggle (not that we won't try), no more being a force solely for hosting projects that anyone else could do just as well (not that we won't host some)... The Presidency would be reestablished with a legitimate purpose. A set of roles unique to it. Instead of being the "liaison with a dormant Juggle," the Presidency will be "a Liaison with other sites, a Liaison with Moderation (through the Elective Administration), and the manager of the Facebook page."

Plus some other projects that I feel will boost community-based activity, which is a huge goal of the Ticket.

So why vote DK/TUF for president? Simple...
https://www.youtube.com...

#SaveThePresidency
#DK/TUF2016
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 5:34:43 AM
What about this thread adds to your platform?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 5:45:41 AM
At 5/15/2016 5:34:43 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

It expands on my main thread. I preferred making a separate expansion thread per Goal than have a multi-part Platform thread.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 6:00:31 AM
At 5/15/2016 5:45:41 AM, donald.keller wrote:
At 5/15/2016 5:34:43 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

It expands on my main thread. I preferred making a separate expansion thread per Goal than have a multi-part Platform thread.

It really just looks like the last thread out into one post.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 7:52:36 AM
At 5/15/2016 4:28:37 AM, donald.keller wrote:
- Older Members, such as RoyLatham, Koopin, FREEDO, Inferno, I-Am-A-Panda, Korashk, DarkKermit, Contradiction, RoyalPaladin, Phantom, and many more... still exist on Facebook, and can be reached through the DDO page... To get even one or two of these members to come back through sheer FB activity and promotion would be a success.

People who want to leave shouldn't be attracted into coming back like that, because it's their choice.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 1:48:19 PM
At 5/15/2016 7:52:36 AM, tejretics wrote:

People who want to leave shouldn't be attracted into coming back like that, because it's their choice.

Sure. But what's the problem with giving them the opportunity to come back should they change their mind? It's not forcing them to come back, it's simply reminding them of a place they once loved.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 3:30:31 PM
At 5/15/2016 1:48:19 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

Sure. But what's the problem with giving them the opportunity to come back should they change their mind? It's not forcing them to come back, it's simply reminding them of a place they once loved.

The issue with putting a lot of trust into the Facebook page bringing members back is that they fully remember what the site is like. Some people might be able to stick around here for years, but for most people this site is a temporary experience. For an outreach tool, one that dwells on what's done is not reliable. Old members tend to come back for short periods on their own volirion, and then leave after weeks or just days because they don't get the same feel for the site.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 3:30:52 PM
At 5/15/2016 3:30:31 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 5/15/2016 1:48:19 PM, ColeTrain wrote:

The issue with putting a lot of trust into the Facebook page bringing members back is that they fully remember what the site is like. Some people might be able to stick around here for years, but for most people this site is a temporary experience. For an outreach tool, one that dwells on what's done is not reliable. Old members tend to come back for short periods on their own volition, and then leave after weeks or just days because they don't get the same feel for the site.

Fix'd

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 3:58:14 PM
I am going to ask that you guys continue to pursue your goals with the community, when Imabench wins
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 5:15:31 PM

Consider this my informal endorsement.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 5:16:48 PM
At 5/15/2016 3:58:14 PM, Wylted wrote:
I am going to ask that you guys continue to pursue your goals with the community, when Imabench wins

#unbenchthebench
#Savethepresidency2016
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 5:28:44 PM

No one is being forced into coming back. It's entirely their choice to not come back if you don't want to

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 5:30:22 PM

And most of the above members didn't leave the site over some issue they had.... They just stopped coming here over time. Most have no problem with the thought of returning.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 5:30:56 PM
At 5/15/2016 5:15:31 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

Thanks VoT :) That means a lot

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 5:33:13 PM
At 5/15/2016 5:30:56 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 5/15/2016 5:15:31 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

Thanks VoT :) That means a lot

I've always liked your platform, I was just waiting until a little closer to the election to endorse you... That, and some personal issues got in the way of me being on here.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 5:52:09 PM

Do NOT bring Royal back she was bat sh*t crazy
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 6:20:38 PM
At 5/15/2016 5:16:48 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/15/2016 3:58:14 PM, Wylted wrote:

#unbenchthebench
#Savethepresidency2016

I can't argue with that
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2016 6:30:02 PM
At 5/15/2016 5:52:09 PM, imabench wrote:

Do NOT bring Royal back she was bat sh*t crazy

I heard she was a crazy feminazi... So I agree with you lol

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 10:20:15 PM
Bump: Since 1Harder thinks my platform offers no reason for the President to exist. Here is a thread outlining a few of many roles I've brought up...

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 10:22:37 PM
At 5/16/2016 10:20:15 PM, donald.keller wrote:
Bump: Since 1Harder thinks my platform offers no reason for the President to exist. Here is a thread outlining a few of many roles I've brought up...

You can post on the DDO Facebook page without being President, right?

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 10:25:47 PM
At 5/16/2016 10:22:37 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

And I would run into the same issue the first owner ran into... At some point, it'd die again, like every group. The President, being a respawning role, is the only way to have the FB page get maintained every month even a year, better yet indefinitely. No one person can run the page indefinitely. Especially when you are trying to do a lot with it. I explained all of this in the Thread.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 10:29:12 PM
At 5/16/2016 10:25:47 PM, donald.keller wrote:

And I would run into the same issue the first owner ran into... At some point, it'd die again, like every group. The President, being a respawning role, is the only way to have the FB page get maintained every month even a year, better yet indefinitely. No one person can run the page indefinitely. Especially when you are trying to do a lot with it. I explained all of this in the Thread.

You can pass it on if you feel you cannot continue to run it, right? What prevents you from that if you aren't President?

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 10:44:05 PM
At 5/16/2016 10:29:12 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

You can pass it on if you feel you cannot continue to run it, right? What prevents you from that if you aren't President?

Like the hundreds of groups that never survived getting passed on to a second leader? The presidency and the Church of NAC are the only groups to survive having the leadership pass the group on (and existing as a ghosts of it's former self doesn't count.) Both did so through elections.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 10:48:49 PM
At 5/16/2016 10:44:05 PM, donald.keller wrote:

Like the hundreds of groups that never survived getting passed on to a second leader? The presidency and the Church of NAC are the only groups to survive having the leadership pass the group on (and existing as a ghosts of it's former self doesn't count.) Both did so through elections.

Host an election if you so wish. It doesn't need to be "official" to post good debates on the Facebook.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 11:04:01 PM
At 5/16/2016 10:44:05 PM, donald.keller wrote:

Part of the reason for that though is that people actually cared about those things. The Church of Nac was a nice little cult we were a part of that people who were involved in it found awesome, and the Presidency is the most reliable starter of drama on DDO, so naturally they have a lot of interest that fuels people to step up and keep them going when the opportunity presents itself.

Facebook groups though and other off-site ventures simply arent things people care about. Having the president run those things is effectively just putting the programs on life-support to delay its inevitable death. Hell there was a facebook group for the Church of Nac that even while it was run by the pope ended up not doing anything or being cared about by anyone, eventually dying along with the Church itself....

The Presidency and Church of Nac survived a second leader, but the reason they did cannot be explained entirely by the fact that there were elections. Part of the reason is that people simply have an interest in them.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 11:59:52 PM
Interesting
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 3:27:17 AM
At 5/21/2016 11:59:52 PM, 16kadams wrote:
Interesting

Indeed... Think of all the potential new members :D

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 1:27:12 PM
At 5/22/2016 3:27:17 AM, donald.keller wrote:
Interesting

all one of them?

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 1:48:06 PM
At 5/22/2016 1:27:12 PM, imabench wrote:
Interesting

all one of them?

jk luv u boo <3

donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 5:24:19 PM
At 5/22/2016 1:48:06 PM, imabench wrote:
At 5/22/2016 1:27:12 PM, imabench wrote:
Interesting

all one of them?

jk luv u boo <3

Lol i bet <3

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --