Jump to topic:

Why I support DK, and the presidency

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 10:42:17 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Donald.Keller approached me to ask if wanted to be his VP about 2 months ago (March 19th).
I was honestly a bit surprised that he selected me to be his VP (they're are probably way better fits out there), but the more I started interacting with him the more I started liking the guy.

Voting is probably the most important thing to me on DDO right now.

Voters Union

First off he noticed the same problems that I was noticing with the site with voting. Having tried putting together multiple voting projects in the past (some with only mild and very temporary success), I had kind of given up on the idea that there would ever be an organized effort to improve voting on DDO. During some point of my Hiatus, I hear BOT created one, but since he was elected moderator, that fizzled out.
When I returned to the site and got back into debating, I was immediately met with seeing quality votes around the site. After seeing a post by DK in the main forum, I had to check it out. Boy was I blown away by the efforts DK's union put into voting... near every debate since I joined early march has been voted on, minus an occasional few debates. Having seen the documents over the last few months prior to my joining, I was even more convinced that DK has a great thing going.

I am sure most serious debaters here have been effected in some way by the VU's effort to increase voting. DK's time and effort into this project was pretty stunning to me, and showed an intrinsic motivation that he received enjoyment from assisting the site.

Fixing bad voting

The second thing that made me agree to this was DK's intent to fix bad voting. He made a thread pointing out a flaw or loophole, if you will, in the vote moderation policy that allowed conduct votes for single forfeited debates to pass. These types of votes have been around forever, and while most people agreed they were bad, nothing was done about them. Together, with the help of a lot of other people and a willing moderator, we were able to fix this issue because we wanted a change.

These were the two things about DK that made me say yes, this is the person I think deserves the presidency. I think deserves is a fitting word, and will lead me into the bit about keeping the presidency.

How I've voted in the in the last few election cycles is generally for the person that I could tell genuinely invested more of themselves into the site. Airmax, Blade, Bsh1, and now I feel DK is that person. Someone who volunteers their own free time to help a community they genuinely care about, where they could easily spend that playing video games, or something else. DK has put over a couple hundred dollars into VU prizes, that is money that could have bought him a couple good boxes of wine.

The presidency

I've voiced my opinion about the role of the presidency in google hangouts before, but I will voice it here, publicly.
When I first ran for president it was solely because I wanted to be the liaison with Juggle, to get things done. And while I had much bigger plans initially with that liaison role then what occurred, I think the role was pretty successful before Juggle completely stopped using a liaison near the end of my term.
After that happened, I didn't think there was much more use to the presidency. I think I was wrong in that thought though. Since then, I have seen a multitude of successful programs created by presidents, as well as plenty of failed ones.

As Imabench pointed out, lots of work was put into DDOfans just for it to ultimately fail. I am sure there have been plenty of other failed projects too. But to say that all these projects will fail based on the few that have, is false, I think. There have been other successful programs that may have not been started if there was not a president. Sure anyone can do a project at any time regardless of the role of the presidency or not. I don't think anyone denies that; But will they be as willing to see it through? The presidency offers an incentive to continue your commitment to the site who elected you.

All this aside, even if you don't buy the presidency has purpose in it's current state, it may be time for a revision so that it does. DK's platform is something I feel makes a good leap in that direction.

At the end of the day though, to abolish the presidency, there needs to be an over-arching reason to say "No, I don't want someone to volunteer there time and effort into helping the site in the best way they can". I don't see that reason. Drama isn't a reason, for anyone who has been on the site long enough should know Drama will always exist. But drama isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, some people like the drama as it keeps things interesting for them. I have no reason to believe that choosing to elect a certain program over another in a popular vote under the conventions system will result in any less drama, or how Conventions can't co-exist with the presidency. And if we are basing this in reality, how many alternative conflicting "Official" groups actually collide? And is this a bad thing? If there are multiple Voters Unions all trying to create better voting for the site, that's freaking awesome, more power to them! They can work with the president to get more recognition for their efforts, or do it on their own (as what's being done now) and still be successful.

Abolishing is not the answer, nor does it provide any tangible benefits. Vote for someone who cares about the site, and wants to put in an active effort to make it better, like DK or 1harder.

But for the reasons stated above, I strongly encourage a DK vote based on his history and actions that to me demonstrate he is the best fit and deserves the role.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 10:51:29 PM
At 5/16/2016 10:42:17 PM, TUF wrote:
But for the reasons stated above, I strongly encourage a DK vote based on his history and actions that to me demonstrate he is the best fit and deserves the role.

There's no place for entitlement in this role.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 10:54:05 PM
At 5/16/2016 10:51:29 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

You are more then entitled to that opinion. That is the way I vote, and I've explained why. But I think that in you deserve it too, and sans DK running in this election, (and in my opinion having done more) I wouldn't at all say you also aren't deserving of the role.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 10:58:22 PM
At 5/16/2016 10:54:05 PM, TUF wrote:

You are more then entitled to that opinion.

http://www.borelagyo.com...

That is the way I vote, and I've explained why. But I think that in you deserve it too, and sans DK running in this election, (and in my opinion having done more) I wouldn't at all say you also aren't deserving of the role.

To be entitled to the Presidency is to sit back on the beach with a cigar while wearing sunglasses when the problem you're supposed to be addressing is burning behind you.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 11:02:46 PM
At 5/16/2016 10:58:22 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

That is the way I vote, and I've explained why. But I think that in you deserve it too, and sans DK running in this election, (and in my opinion having done more) I wouldn't at all say you also aren't deserving of the role.

To be entitled to the Presidency is to sit back on the beach with a cigar while wearing sunglasses when the problem you're supposed to be addressing is burning behind you.

Quite the false dichotomy. You're either entitled, or you are working actively to help the site... In truth, your either working actively to help the site, or you're not entitled.

That being said, you are making up a definition that doesn't fit into TUF's use of the term "deserves." His version of entitled means that you are addressing, and fixing, the problem that's burning. If you are sitting "back on the beach with a cigar while wearing sunglasses when the problem you're supposed to be addressing is burning behind you." than you aren't entitled to the role... Based on the version of "Entitled" that TUF was using.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 11:04:08 PM

Nothing in the OP suggests I think the presidency should be resigned to laziness. Your attack here makes no logical sense. Deserving the role means hard work has been put in that indicates to me hard work will continue above and beyond, upon getting the role. Keep in mind if also have said a couple times now that you would be a good fit here to second to DK, so I'm am not understanding your motive in trying to undermine me here.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2016 11:05:02 PM
At 5/16/2016 11:02:46 PM, donald.keller wrote:

Quite the false dichotomy. You're either entitled, or you are working actively to help the site... In truth, your either working actively to help the site, or you're not entitled.

That being said, you are making up a definition that doesn't fit into TUF's use of the term "deserves." His version of entitled means that you are addressing, and fixing, the problem that's burning. If you are sitting "back on the beach with a cigar while wearing sunglasses when the problem you're supposed to be addressing is burning behind you." than you aren't entitled to the role... Based on the version of "Entitled" that TUF was using.

TUF can say you're entitled to consideration. I'll cede that, and that only.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 3:12:46 AM
Funny that only our opponent has replied lol.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 9:49:43 AM
TUF's presence in the ticket is a very strong reason to vote DK this time.

I've looked through TUF's threads from when he was President and have talked to multiple people who were there back then, and it's clear that the majority opinion -- one that I find myself agreeing with -- is that TUF was the best President since Airmax.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 12:03:14 PM
At 5/17/2016 9:49:43 AM, tejretics wrote:

I've looked through TUF's threads from when he was President and have talked to multiple people who were there back then, and it's clear that the majority opinion -- one that I find myself agreeing with -- is that TUF was the best President since Airmax.

I appreciate that very much. Not to sound too humble sauce, but a lot of that is probably because Juggle was still around when I was president for at least a little while. I was able to accomplish a few updates (one one major one and one minor one) I think people's general idea of my presidency was strengthened through that. I have no reason to believe that blade or bsh1 wouldn't have been able to so the same if juggle was around.

Maybe not put together something like DDOfans, but we all saw how that worked out in the end. #sadness.

As far as creating programs, and stuff like that, the most I ever did was host a big debate tournament, advertise debates that needed votes each month, and mostly liaison emails with jugggle.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 7:56:20 PM
At 5/17/2016 12:03:14 PM, TUF wrote:

I appreciate that very much. Not to sound too humble sauce, but a lot of that is probably because Juggle was still around when I was president for at least a little while. I was able to accomplish a few updates (one one major one and one minor one) I think people's general idea of my presidency was strengthened through that. I have no reason to believe that blade or bsh1 wouldn't have been able to so the same if juggle was around.

Maybe not put together something like DDOfans, but we all saw how that worked out in the end. #sadness.

As far as creating programs, and stuff like that, the most I ever did was host a big debate tournament, advertise debates that needed votes each month, and mostly liaison emails with jugggle.

This is why I asked you to be my VP. You're willing to state what you believe, even if you're disagreeing with someone who's telling you that you were a great president. That willingness makes you perfect to counter the President. Everyone else is picking a VP that agrees with them on everything, and serves them. You're the very opposite (mostly). You agree with me enough to work well with me, but you disagree enough to counter me.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 8:05:41 PM
At 5/18/2016 7:56:20 PM, donald.keller wrote:

This is why I asked you to be my VP. You're willing to state what you believe, even if you're disagreeing with someone who's telling you that you were a great president. That willingness makes you perfect to counter the President. Everyone else is picking a VP that agrees with them on everything, and serves them. You're the very opposite (mostly). You agree with me enough to work well with me, but you disagree enough to counter me.

Picking a VP who agrees with you is not necessarily a bad thing, and nor is it what I set out to do when picking Solon.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 8:11:34 PM

TUF was a great President, but we do have to realize that not to many people from that time are still around. A great new user base exists and we now have to cater to their needs. TUF still carriers a great deal of weight and is a great asset to his campaign and in no way is this post to put him nor his campaign down.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 8:44:09 PM
At 5/18/2016 8:05:41 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Picking a VP who agrees with you is not necessarily a bad thing, and nor is it what I set out to do when picking Solon.

Picking a VP who is more akin to a minion is a bad thing.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 9:21:50 PM
At 5/18/2016 8:44:09 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 5/18/2016 8:05:41 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Picking a VP who is more akin to a minion is a bad thing.

He's not my minion.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 10:36:52 PM

I appreciate the kind words DK.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 7:41:50 AM
At 5/22/2016 10:36:52 PM, TUF wrote:

You deserve them. People forget how much you've done for DDO. I still have the Xbox 360 you bought, by yourself, for a voting tournament a long time ago. And that was only second place...

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 12:37:28 PM
At 5/23/2016 7:41:50 AM, donald.keller wrote:

You deserve them. People forget how much you've done for DDO. I still have the Xbox 360 you bought, by yourself, for a voting tournament a long time ago. And that was only second place...

There was an xbox 360 prize? Oh yeah... for some reason I only remembered the Ipad that thett won and the PS4 that mikal got.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2016 5:09:10 PM
At 5/23/2016 12:37:28 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/23/2016 7:41:50 AM, donald.keller wrote:

There was an xbox 360 prize? Oh yeah... for some reason I only remembered the Ipad that thett won and the PS4 that mikal got.

My point has been made.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --