Jump to topic:

I am Endorsing Chris/Solon/Hayd

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:09:39 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
I am going to outline here my endorsement in the Presidential campaign, and also my reasoning for that endorsement.

Abolition Makes Little Sense To Me

As the election cycle has unfurled, I've been following closely the various campaigns. I think everyone is aware that I am not an abolitionist--the Presidency has utility on the site, and I reject the notion that it should be done away with.

In a post I made some time ago, I outlined what I thought the role of a President ought to be: a liaison to Juggle, a liaison and counterweight to moderation, a community organizer, a town crier, and a community ambassador [http://www.debate.org...]. These roles are not well suited to moderators for a variety of reasons, foremost among them being that moderators are un-elected officials, and so cannot claim to have any sort of popular mandate. I am highly skeptical of alternative proposals for how these aims can be achieved, and I will discuss why later in this post.

One of the most oft-cited reasons for doing away with the Presidency is the unnecessary drama that it induces. I feel like this argument is almost a catch-22 for abolitionists in this election. If it is the case that more elections equals more drama, then it is the case that Bench's platform actually will generate more drama, thus defeating the purpose of doing away with the Presidency in the first place. If, on the other hand, it is not the case the more elections equals more drama, then there is no basis for this particular abolitionist refrain.

I tend to take a more nuanced view of things. I think the Presidency creates potential for drama, but I rarely see that potential become realized. The first election I was on the site to witness was between myself and TUF. There was hardly any noteworthy drama in that election. The same is true of the next race that followed--Bladerunner was elected to office with hardly any resistance. The special election that vaulted Ore into the Presidency was also very drama-free, as was my election to office after that. My race against Wylted had a little commotion after the race, but for the vast majority of the election, things were calm and unremarkable. The only notable exception to this "low drama" trend I can find is Mikal's campaign.

Somehow, this single instance, out of the last 6 elections, has been used to craft the illusion of the Presidency as a significant source of drama. There is a fallacy in human thought whereby we forget the unremarkable cases and only latch on to the remarkable ones. If we hear of a shark attack at a beach once, we associate that beach with sharks, even if that was the only attack in the last 60 years. It's a spin on the Von Restorff effect. [https://en.wikipedia.org...] This feels similar to what I am seeing with the discussion of the Presidency by some members.

What drama I have seen more often than not, from my recollection, comes from the abolitionist camp. It makes little sense to me to vote for the people creating the drama so that they can end the drama. It strikes me as rewarding a child who has just thrown a tantrum so that they don't throw the tantrum again--it is undeserved, nonsensical, and certainly counterproductive to teaching the child to behave.

We also have to question whether all drama is bad. I may disagree with YYW on most things, but I agree with him that a degree of conflict is healthy for this site. I believe that as long as that conflict avoids becoming to personal, and remains a substantive discussion of the issues that concern the site and its future, the conflict that ensues is a healthy kind of drama that engages the community in useful ways. Disagreement, even tense disagreement, is not bad in and of itself.

Given that I simply don't buy into the "more drama" argument, I see little reason to abolish the office, when I've seen firsthand its positive impacts. The forum revival, the voting reform/opt-in project, new user outreach, etc. are all evidence, as I see it, of the office's utility. And, while it may be a bit cynical, I can conjecture that some people would not contribute as much to the site were they not running for or holding the office. In some minor way then, the office can act as an incentive for spurring community activity. Finally, however unlikely it may seem to you, there is always a chance Juggle could return. We cannot predict when they return, and that is why having the office of the President there, so that no time is lost in working with them, is a benefit, because we already have a designated liaison in place, ready to go.

You may disagree with me on this--and that's fine. Rebutting abolitionism is not the primary purpose of this thread as I see it. But, I did want to offer some remarks on the subject. Read the first link I provided if you want to see some fuller commentary...hopefully, though, the discussion that will occur in this thread will focus on what I have yet to say.

TL;DR

Abolitionism's main argument against the Presidency (i.e. it "adds fresh drama" to the site) is bunk, because (1) the replacement would have more elections/drama than the status quo, and (2) the Presidency doesn't have nearly as much drama as people think. Also, the office of the Presidency has utility, as is clearly evidenced.

Platform Problems

Various alternative platform proposals have been submitted to DDO for review. I've looked them over, and I have some concerns with them. One system--the convention system--undermines the President's role as an opposing voice to moderation. Because moderation can veto or simply refuse to allow a convention to proceed, it would effectively control the political discourse and the communities ability to express themselves through voting. This is a key weakness.

Also, though I've already discussed the flaws of abolitionism (as I see them), I would add that if the goal is to avoid "adding fresh drama," as Bench suggested in his platform, having more elections increases the potential for conflict and derision, it doesn't decrease it. Moreover, on controversial issues, many members may not feel comfortable voicing a public opinion on a matter, for fear of public castigation. This is an advantage of having a single elected official; voters can discuss their concerns with that official in private, or can vote for someone without having to stake out their position on a particular issue (because usually there are many reasons why someone could vote for a candidate).

This problem of Bench's platform is also inherent in DK's platform with DK's elective administration idea. But his idea incurs some additional issues, in that it lengthens the response time the administration will have in addressing issues that arise on the site, and has the potential to reduce levels of cooperation by encouraging polarization. DK's proposed system is intensely bureaucratic, dilatory, and long-winded, and it encourages members who vote for these elected sub-officials to assign themselves to camps (e.g. I voted in the 'Airmax is a Tyrant' primary to select our representative, so this is my camp). Moreover, there may be practical challenges in determining who is on what side and therefore who is eligible to vote for which representative.

(cont'd below)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:09:47 AM
(cont'd from above)

Moreover, though I understand that it is DK's goal to decentralize presidential authority, I feel that is platform risks endangering the utility of the Presidency be cheapening its value. The more responsibilities DK devolves or gives up, the less justification there is for having a Presidency. The office is already under fire by those (who I feel are misinformed) who think it does nothing. If it does even less than that, the abolitionists' hand is only strengthened. It may therefore be a great irony that voters vote for DK to preserve the office, while in the end making it an easier target for abolitionist attacks.

While I like DK's ideas regarding FB, I believe all the main candidates have a FB profile, and so all of them could implement this idea. You don't even need to be President to post on it. Moreover, many DDO users (like myself) are not on FB. The President's main focus should be DDO and its community, it shouldn't be offsite concerns which don't include all DDO users, however nice those projects might be. I fear that this project may become so time-consuming, that effort that should be directed toward the site may be channeled towards FB, or that the administration will simply lack the time and energy to do FB, to run its various "Union" programs, and to do whatever else it seeks to do. There is a point where they will be overstretched, and there is a real risk DK is trying to do too much, which may lead to him cutting or short-changing various items on his agenda. It is almost as if DK wants to do too much in one respect (as I just noted), but too little in another (overdoing the decentralization).

As for his voting reform ideas, I am honestly not sure what he means by a "one-size-fits-all" system, particularly when the opt-in allows people more flexibility than before it existed. Regardless, creating a universal set of "voting laws" is the purview of the moderators, not of the President. DK can certainly lobby for it, but he is in no position to force Max to put it to a vote or to acquiesce to DK's suggestions. His plan for an "option-friendly" system is vague and ill-defined, and is unlikely to be implemented. The more voting standards mods have to keep in mind, the more complex their job becomes, increasing both the difficulty placed on them and the room for error. Having a relatively straightforward system is a must if you want efficient, accurate moderation with moderators who aren't overworked or frustrated by the complexity of the bureaucracy in which they operate.

While I have enormous respect for DK, and consider him a friend, I am not able to support his platform, and I urge others not to support it either.

TL;DR

DK's platform increases potential for drama, risks undermining the office of the Presidency, is insanely and nonsensically bureaucratic and rule-laden for a system trying to "decentralize," and promises too much.

My Endorsement

You may have guessed by now that I am endorsing the 1harderthanyouthink/SolonKR/Hayd campaign. I have explained already why I am not endorsing other campaigns, let me now elaborate on why they are receiving my endorsement.

By making things public concerns--by having elections or "debates/podcasts/interviews" about those concerns--we lose the benefit of privacy in expressing our grievances. Having, as I said before, as set group of official with whom one can confide in private allows users who might not otherwise come forward to do so, and allows people to be more honest and frank. Chris's (1harder's) focus on member outreach and being a confidant in whom people can express their concerns better enables this kind of positive behavior than do alternative methods.

However, perhaps the most compelling element of Chris's campaign is the emphasis he places on dispute arbitration and community reconciliation. His approach lacks the needless and counterproductive red tape of DK's elective administration proposal--and his platform focuses more on these issues than any other candidates, in my opinion. Healing the rift between two somewhat polarized factions (abolitionists and non-abolitionists) is important if we're to escape an endless cycle of campaigns based on those two sides butting heads.

As for the team itself (that is, the people who are running) it is incredibly strong. Chris, Solon, and Hayd have each been a part of my administration. Chris was also the wiki moderator, and has worked harder than anyone I know to address the issues the wiki was facing. The wiki has certainly come along way in the last year. Chris is also a friend who I know will invest effort and care into his running of the office. Hayd is also one of the site's most promising young members. He has done more for new member outreach than I thought possible--PMing scores of new users to welcome them to the site and to put them in contact with various site resources. He has also led the New User Mentorship Program, and I have complete confidence him to serve as a leader on this site. And Solon is one of the friendliest members of the site who is involved in the mafia community and hangouts, and is someone who I respect greatly.

This campaign's platform, skillsets, and experience also best lend themselves to new member outreach and support. While DK wants to attract old members to the site from FB, and to get some new joiners as well, his platform does not do much to explain how he will support and welcome new members who are already here on the site. It is little good to attract new accounts if we cannot retain those new users with a vibrant support network.

No one on this site (except maybe Max) has more experience in terms of new user outreach than Hayd. No one. Solon's involvement in mafia and hangouts gives him the ability to reach a variety of different users to assist in these outreach efforts, and given Chris's desire to put DDO first, I trust that he will prioritize development of that vibrant support network, and will invest more effort into maintaining it than I think DK will be able to.

Given all of this, I will be voting for the Chris/Solon/Hayd ticket, and I urge other voters to do the same. They have my full endorsement and support. I wish them luck.

TL;DR

I am endorsing Chris/Solon/Hayd for the DDO Presidency. I believe they will be best in new user outreach, representing the DDO community, minimizing potential for drama, and building bridges between various DDO factions.

===========

Thanks for bearing with me...Just wanted to weigh in on the election conversation.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:12:04 AM
*reads title and author*

Oh sh*t :O
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:16:53 AM
At 5/17/2016 1:09:39 AM, bsh1 wrote:

TL;DR

Abolitionism's main argument against the Presidency (i.e. it "adds fresh drama" to the site)

The point of abolition and replacement with a different system that ive been campaigning on is to make the process of reforming the site more open and efficient...... Not to eliminate drama

One system--the convention system--undermines the President's role as an opposing voice to moderation.

But the President clearly does not hold power over moderation.....

if the goal is to avoid "adding fresh drama," as Bench suggested in his platform,

I only mentioned the word 'drama' twice in my entire platform and neither time was it to argue that the presidency should be done away with due to drama it causes.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:19:39 AM
At 5/17/2016 1:16:53 AM, imabench wrote:

TL;DR

Abolitionism's main argument against the Presidency (i.e. it "adds fresh drama" to the site)

The point of abolition and replacement with a different system that ive been campaigning on is to make the process of reforming the site more open and efficient...... Not to eliminate drama

Eliminating drama was certainly a justification of yours, and I didn't say it was your primary justification--just one that was a primary justification for some abolitionists.

As for efficiency, I am going to have to disagree there as well. Having a single decision-maker with an electoral mandate is better than having myriad elections.

One system--the convention system--undermines the President's role as an opposing voice to moderation.

Then you misunderstand the point. We already debated this once in a prior thread...and I am just not interested in repeated the exact same conversation.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:29:54 AM
Thanks for the kind words.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:30:06 AM
At 5/17/2016 1:19:39 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 5/17/2016 1:16:53 AM, imabench wrote:

TL;DR

Eliminating drama was certainly a justification of yours

I never listed 'drama' as a justification for getting rid of the presidency. It may reduce drama in the end, which I believe to be true, but that was never a reason I used in favor of abolition

As for efficiency, I am going to have to disagree there as well. Having a single decision-maker with an electoral mandate is better than having myriad elections.

DDO Conventions would take place at the same time and frequency as Presidential elections normally take place. Also a single decision maker arguably cuts off proposed reforms for the site and instead focuses more on running site programs then reformation.

Then you misunderstand the point.

Its not misunderstanding anything. Youre just wrong.

We already debated this once in a prior thread... and I am just not interested in repeated the exact same conversation.

Because you ended the thread with a typical 'agree-to-disagree' remark rather than prove your opinion

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:38:18 AM
At 5/17/2016 1:30:06 AM, imabench wrote:
Because you ended the thread with a typical 'agree-to-disagree' remark rather than prove your opinion

Because we kept going in circles with the conversation advancing nowhere.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:42:40 AM
Lmao....why does this not surprise me..
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:46:58 AM
At 5/17/2016 1:42:40 AM, Rosalie wrote:
Lmao....why does this not surprise me..

Because Chris is our true President and Savior ;3
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:47:55 AM
Thanks for your kind support, boo <3

...We really need to think of a catchier ticket name, though.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:48:34 AM
At 5/17/2016 1:47:55 AM, SolonKR wrote:

1HayderthanKR
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:49:37 AM
At 5/17/2016 1:48:34 AM, Vaarka wrote:

1HayderthanyouKR*

SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:52:07 AM
1HayderthanKR

That doesn't exactly roll off the tongue...
Maybe we should use a hypothetical band name. Like CHRISt or something.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:52:58 AM
At 5/17/2016 1:52:07 AM, SolonKR wrote:
1HayderthanKR

Chris and the VPs

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:53:51 AM

#TheOtherGuys

BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:54:11 AM
At 5/17/2016 1:52:58 AM, Vaarka wrote:
1HayderthanKR

Chris and the VPs

That sounds like a band name
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:55:43 AM
At 5/17/2016 1:54:11 AM, BlazingRodent wrote:
1HayderthanKR

Chris and the VPs

That was the point

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:57:14 AM
At 5/17/2016 1:48:07 AM, Hayd wrote:
Thank you for the support and kind words bsh1 :)

Sure thing.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:57:31 AM
At 5/17/2016 1:55:43 AM, Vaarka wrote:
1HayderthanKR

Chris and the VPs

That was the point

I know I am being that one guy
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 1:57:47 AM

Anytime.

Lol
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 2:01:06 AM
At 5/17/2016 1:53:51 AM, imabench wrote:
#TheOtherGuys

Which one of us is Will Ferrell?
BlazingRodent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 2:01:55 AM
1HayderthanKR

Chris and the VPs

That was the point

Don't hit me master :*(
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 2:02:33 AM
At 5/17/2016 2:01:55 AM, BlazingRodent wrote:
1HayderthanKR

Chris and the VPs

That was the point

Don't hit me master :*(

BONDAGGGEGEEGEEE
(jk)

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 2:03:52 AM
At 5/17/2016 2:01:06 AM, SolonKR wrote:
#TheOtherGuys

Whoever is a bigger fan of Nascar

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 2:04:46 AM
At 5/17/2016 2:03:52 AM, imabench wrote:
At 5/17/2016 2:01:06 AM, SolonKR wrote:
#TheOtherGuys

Whoever is a bigger fan of Nascar

I've spent more time watching the races in Talladega Nights than I have actual NASCAR races.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 2:10:22 AM
1HayderthanSolon sounds the best, really. Or you can make an acronym: SHH. It basically explains what you would do with your opponents.
Have no regrets.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 2:25:53 AM
At 5/17/2016 2:10:22 AM, Opsianos wrote:
1HayderthanSolon sounds the best, really. Or you can make an acronym: SHH. It basically explains what you would do with your opponents.

lol. I don't like the "Hayder" sound though