Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 3:04:35 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 5/17/2016 3:02:04 AM, Hayd wrote:
Has anyone seen this before?
https://www.change.org...

I was triggered that the debate was removed... I'm guessing that it was removed for an entirely different reason.
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 3:04:36 AM

How DARE you not put a *TRIGGER WARNING* before I could read such an emotionally distressing letter!
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 3:04:47 AM

It's sad this petition even had to be made. I'm presuming we can thank airmax for that.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 3:08:19 AM

Hell the comments are from 3 years ago so this petition must have been ancient by now

Whoever is bragging that 'we won!' clearly is taking too much credit, because Airmax removed the debate in all liklihood, not Obama XD
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 3:11:55 AM
At 5/17/2016 3:06:03 AM, The_Great_Amalgam wrote:
Also, who is Kelly? Is it an Airmax multi?

She's supposed to be a customer support person for Debate.org from juggle
The_Great_Amalgam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 3:12:46 AM
At 5/17/2016 3:11:55 AM, Hayd wrote:

She's supposed to be a customer support person for Debate.org from juggle

Ah, so one of the many heads of Juggle.
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 3:16:08 AM
After visiting Juggle's site it seems they put more time into interior designing then maintaining their websites.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 3:59:32 AM

I recall seeing this a couple years ago during one of my semi regular debate.org Google searches...

I don't recall the specific debate, and I certainly did not know about the petition at the time it was going on. It is however likely that I was responsible for removing the debate, though it is certainly not the case that I removed it (if I am the individual who removed it - which is likely) for the reasons the petitioner was advocating for. It's pretty rare that I remove content simply on the basis of it being offensive or controversial (outside of flame wars and other member concerns), and more often than not, this type of "edgy" content is simply spam and doesn't go anywhere. So rather than it being removed for, as the petition says, being "highly dangerous [and] threatening", I likely removed it for just being spam, since the instigator probably just wrote an intentionally controversial opening round, with the opponent saying something like "this is ridiculous, you should be ashamed", and then the rest being entirely forfeited.

There's certainly an interesting discussion to be had about which topics should be abolished from the site, but as it is currently, there are none.

It's also worth noting that we do see spammy troll members pop up on occasion that are here intentionally to post "edgy" topics. Most recently a member named something like "rapeiskindofok", who posted a bunch of spammy racism debates. This member was banned right away since he was clearly a troll not interested in having good faith discussions and debates, but instead trolling people to get a rise out of them. So while I don't particularly care about the content itself (as offensive as it may be), this type of member does present a problem and is better off not being on the site. This type of member essentially qualifies as a type of spammer.

There have also been members to take a more tempered approach to their racism. One that comes to mind was a member named something like "Falconduler" 3-4 years ago. He would post threads in the forums talking about how African Americans, Jews and other minorities were bad, and actually engage at length in those threads. While some felt he should be banned right away for advocating offensive views, I was confident that within a couple weeks he would realize that on a site like debate.org (as opposed to Stromfront, which is where he was likely from) he wasn't going to gain traction, his arguments would be thorough destroyed, and then he'd just leave. That's exactly what happened, and the arguments for why the guy is completely wrong are now in the sites history.

So there's certainly plenty of perspectives to take on these things, and I've certainly taken a position that I'm sure bothers some. But I think we are better off erring to the side of permissiveness and debating and arguing to show why someone's idea are completely ridiculous, rather than just making them verboten from the site entirely.
Debate.org Moderator
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 4:01:55 AM

Lol... Anyone remember who made the thread/debate?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 4:07:34 AM
At 5/17/2016 3:04:47 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

It's sad this petition even had to be made. I'm presuming we can thank airmax for that.

I assume that you can, since I probably didn't delete the spam in a timely basis... but who knows, maybe I didn't want to delete it at all, and then maybe I reconsidered when it was reported dozens of times (I think that's unlikely though)... this was like 3 years ago, so I don't know. But if it wasn't spam, I certainly wouldn't delete it today.

Legitimate debates about rape, holocaust denial, bestiality, pedophilia, and whatever other controversial and offensive thing you can think of are allowed. Certainly we can have a discussion about what topics should be banned form the site if you like though. If the community genuinely would like to start banning topics, I'd be willing (though not exactly happy) to comply with that desire.
Debate.org Moderator
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 4:10:34 AM
At 5/17/2016 4:07:34 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

I assume that you can, since I probably didn't delete the spam in a timely basis... but who knows, maybe I didn't want to delete it at all, and then maybe I reconsidered when it was reported dozens of times (I think that's unlikely though)... this was like 3 years ago, so I don't know. But if it wasn't spam, I certainly wouldn't delete it today.

Legitimate debates about rape, holocaust denial, bestiality, pedophilia, and whatever other controversial and offensive thing you can think of are allowed. Certainly we can have a discussion about what topics should be banned form the site if you like though. If the community genuinely would like to start banning topics, I'd be willing (though not exactly happy) to comply with that desire.

It clearly wasn't considered "spam" by you because the petition garnered over 100 votes, which certainly would take some time. And we've had plenty of discussions about what should be banned.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 4:31:26 AM
At 5/17/2016 4:10:34 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
At 5/17/2016 4:07:34 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

It clearly wasn't considered "spam" by you because the petition garnered over 100 votes, which certainly would take some time.

I don't recall this incident at all, so I'm only guessing at this point. The petition could have gained votes much quicker by using social networking - and 200 votes isn't very many - than it could have gained DDO reports. This isn't something I recall in the least, so from my perspective, this couldn't have been something the least bit controversial from my side. I remember plenty of controversial debate incidents and if any of them that I don't recall off-hand were brought up, I'm sure it would jog my memory, and I'd recall the specifics. This isn't one that I recall at all now, and didn't the first time I saw the petition either.

So there really are only a few scenarios that are likely to have happened here: A) I wasn't involved in this, and this was an extremely rare instance that bypassed me entirely and a Juggle rep removed it on their own (Perhaps Kelly removed it), or B) It was reported, it was spam, and so I removed it. Or perhaps C) Under pressure I finally removed it. But I think C is unlikely since I would be very likely to remember that.

And we've had plenty of discussions about what should be banned.

Yeah, I know we disagree in any case.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 4:34:28 AM

She's a former Juggle employee. I believe she left around 3 years ago.
Debate.org Moderator
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 4:40:54 AM
At 5/17/2016 4:34:28 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Just like Juggle did...
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 4:48:43 AM
At 5/17/2016 4:40:54 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

Just like Juggle did...

Somebody call the fire department
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2016 12:47:25 PM
At 5/17/2016 4:48:43 AM, Raisor wrote:
At 5/17/2016 4:40:54 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

Just like Juggle did...

Somebody call the fire department

Lol :P