Partial Legalization

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2010 8:58:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 12/8/2010 8:46:16 PM, idkmybffbill wrote:
For the November/December Drug Abuse topic for LD debate, what is partial legalization? Thanks.

Where black people get punished really harshly for doing crack cocaine, but white people only get a slap on the wrist for doing regular cocaine?

Research "decriminalization" - it's a partial step towards legalization.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2010 9:02:42 PM
At 12/8/2010 8:58:31 PM, bluesteel wrote:
For the November/December Drug Abuse topic for LD debate, what is partial legalization? Thanks.

Where black people get punished really harshly for doing crack cocaine, but white people only get a slap on the wrist for doing regular cocaine?

You're funny, sir. You always know how to crack a good one ;)
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2010 10:03:11 PM
You legalize use of drugs, but keep production/sale illegal. Basically what Portugal did. You want to run this so that you dont have to advocate full blown-out legalization (legalizing use, purchase, etc), which many people will claim is nontopical since the resolution is about illegal drugs. Although we do have a different topic now so I dont know why it matters anymore.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2010 10:37:31 PM
At 12/8/2010 8:58:31 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Yeah I saw that argument once (the harsher punishment for blacks) but it was challenged and dropped. Decriminalization came up a lot.

Its important to know the difference between decriminalization and legalization. Quite a few people I judged used them synonymously.

Fun fact: the LD and PF resolutions for both December AND January are concerned with criminal justice.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2010 7:36:40 AM
I always thought it was making it so that if you are caught with the drug, that you just get a fine (like a parking ticket), rather then a criminal charge or jail time.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"